April 2017 Moms
Options

Questions - January Edition

Re: Questions - January Edition

• Options
    DD was 8 lb 2oz and fit NB for a couple weeks but 0-3 wasn't so big that I couldn't use them either.  This time I only bought a couple NB things (2 sleepers and a coming home outfit) but ended up with a bunch from a friend so I am all set either way but I would have waited and went shopping after if baby needed more rather than buying too many to start
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    It completely does vary by brand. I found the Carter's stuff very narrow through all sizes (good for the shape of my kids), and Osh Kosh to be wider and shorter - which is great because the same store can fit most kids with the two lines (they are the same store here in Canada anyway). Gerber onesies were always teeny tiny. I found Gymboree quite large for size, and Gap very true to size. Obviously smaller brands vary quite a lot. It makes online shopping a bit annoying.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input!!! Much appreciated from this clueless FTM  ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kitkat8387 With dd I will buy a few staple nb size just because it will still be slightly chilly in Idaho and I love the onesie and PJ's with built in mittens. I don't know how other moms got the mittens to stay on otherwise! 
  • Options
    STMs--or anyone I guess: my MIL wants to throw me a baby shower three weeks before my due date. Which is fine, but she lives three hours away (longer with all the stops I'll have to take), and I don't know if I'm comfortable being that far from my doctor that late in the game. I'm also not sure I'm going to feel like traveling six+ hours in two days. But as a FTM I've never been 8 months pregnant before so I don't know what to think. Would you travel that far for a baby shower three weeks prior to your due date? I do plan to ask my doctor at my next appointment, but what are your thoughts? I'm trying to figure out if we can do it sooner. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to travel that much at 37 weeks to be honest. I get really uncomfortable on long car rides already.. I get car sick too and remember taking an hour and a half car ride to DHs friends around 36-37 weeks pregnant with my daughter and being soooo miserable and sick the whole time..  It really depends on how you are feeling but I would definitely be asking to make it earlier or closer to your house.. 
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    @HGRich I traveled about that far around 35-36 weeks last time for a family event. I was on weekly appointments by then, so I scheduled my check up with her the day before I left, she confirmed that there were no signs of labor impending, and gave me some paperwork to have on hand just in case something did happen and I needed to go to the hospital. I was feeling really good at that time, so it wasn't that big of a deal once my OB okayed it.

I would first see if your MIL is able to host it another weekend. If not, and you're feeling comfortable enough to go, then I would see if someone can drive you there and back (to also help with loading gifts in the car) and I agree with @KirstinH88 that you need to make sure that you stay hydrated and take lots of breaks. Make sure you have all of your paperwork and a backup plan in case the baby comes early. I'm also a big fan of "Meet the Baby" parties, which is what I'm letting my MIL do this time (she wanted to throw a whole big shower because my one she planned with DS was cancelled at the last minute) because they're less stress and can be scheduled for a time when you're more comfortable with traveling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Taylor72Taylor72 member
    edited January 2017

any FTM thinking about or already picked a pediatrician? I don't know how but that little tid bit completely slipped my mind until my 3am potty break this morning and then I thought "ohhh shit, she's gonna need a dr"

ETA-  idk what questions to even ask? also, do most people prefer pediatricians or a family dr so everyone is at the same dr office?

• Options
    @Taylor72 It's on my list to ask the people with kids in my office who they use this week! I have no idea if they would actually come by the hospital while we're there though.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @Taylor72 Not FTM, but I spoke to our pedi in October to make sure they would take kid #3... so I don't think it's too soon.  Where I deliver the pedi doesn't actually go to the hospital unless they are on call, but we have to have an appointment within 5 days of birth.  I didn't have to "sign up" ahead of time, just give his name when the babies were born.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    @Taylor72 I plan on using the same pedi that my other boys use, for convenience. And honestly, I wouldn't even know what questions to ask. The same with finding a daycare, I think its more about a feeling that you get. But I would assume that you want your pedi on the same page as you in regards to bf/formula, etc. When I was pregnant with DS, my family dr handled my pregnancy and delivery and took care of DS's first few months, until we switched insurance companies. It was really nice to have the family dr because I felt really comfortable with her, but that is also the same reason why I like to have the same pedi taking care of all my boys.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Options
    @taylor72 FTM here. I got a rec from a local mom's group. She was taking new patients so I called her office. They set us up with a meet and greet appointment on March 15. I've been told she might come to the hospital after I deliver. I also don't know what questions to ask when I meet her but I'm going to search the web for a list, I guess. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    @taylor72 I asked a local friend who just had her baby a month ago for a recommendation. Honestly I wouldn't know what questions to ask, so I think recommendations are the way to go. I am actually going with her tomorrow to a checkup so I can see the doctor in action and get a feel for the office - hopefully I like her so I can cross "find a pediatrician" off my to-do list :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @Taylor72 I used Google because I didn't have many local friend who had kids, and then I called around. The place that had the best reviews online was actually a fairly large practice that has someone on-call at the hospital I delivered at, and they have three locations. They also do an "open house" once a month where expectant parents can come in and see the facility and meet the doctors and ask any questions. I liked that they were big and could accommodate us fairly easily in the event of an illness or something like that (but for well visits we always see our same doctor - and probably 90% of the sick visits we've had have been with her too). They actually have sick visit "walk in" hours pretty much every day where a couple of the doctors don't have appointments so they can see the sick kiddos ASAP. They also offer weekend and evening hours rotating through the different locations, so when I needed to get DS to the doctor late on a weeknight, they were able to get him in and I didn't have to resort to the ER.

We did not have to make our first appointment in advance - DS was actually born on a Friday so we called that afternoon and they got us in for an appointment on Monday. I know some practices want to put in a tentative appointment around your due date, so you'll have to ask specifically what they'd want you to do.

I would definitely ask about their extended hours and how available they are if you need an urgent appointment. Also, if they have a well-kid and sick kid waiting rooms (helps to keep from exposing your little bubs to all of the germs if they're in different areas). And at what hospital(s) they have admitting rights. I like that if DS has to go to the local hospital, the pediatricians that will see him will be from our practice.

ETA that I would also ask if they have a lactation consultant on staff - when we started having issues with DS's weight gain is was immeasurably helpful that the were able to send me to an IBCLC for a consult right away instead of just sticking a bottle of formula in his mouth.
  • Options
    @Taylor72 For our current ped, we read some reviews online and went to a prospective patients meeting they hold at their offices once a month. Since we didn't know anyone in the area with kids at that point, we couldn't rely on personal recs. Ours is a large practice, which works out well. We see the same doctor for all the routine appointments but have the option of seeing any of their docs for sick/emergency visits.

After we move next month, we're going to meet with the ped my cousin currently uses to see if she's a good match for us.

Questions to ask: you want to make sure any doc/practice fits with your own views and desires. For us, that means a ped who is pro-breastfeeding (and knowledgeable about it and the differences between breast and formula fed babies when it comes to growth rates and such), who takes a strong stance on vaccines (DH and I are strongly pro-vax, so I liked that on the website for our current pediatric practice it says that if you don't intend to vaccinate, you should probably look for a different practice), and a doc who isn't an alarmist and is fairly relaxed.

Regarding the pediatrician coming to the hospital, it's not really necessary that they have privileges where you deliver. With DD, one of the hospital peds did her checks while we were in the hospital, and we just told them the name of our chosen ped for their records. Then, we called our ped when we were discharged and went to their office for her first check-up a couple days after.
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Options
    HappyAnjelHappyAnjel member
    edited January 2017
    Not a FTM, but when I was looking for my daughter I asked around for recommendations, then looked up a list of doctors that were recommended, narrowed it down by reviews and things I could find online to confirm they would fit my needs (lactation consultant on hand etc.) I ended up picking without an actual meeting, but ended up loving our Dr. I plan to use him for this baby as well, and my SIL ended up switching my niece's to him and kept him for my nephew too.

Eta- where I am almost all the Drs do rounds at the hospital in the morning. There's always someone from the practice that checked on the baby every day.
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    shaunessashaunessa member
    edited January 2017
    HGRich said:
    STMs--or anyone I guess: my MIL wants to throw me a baby shower three weeks before my due date. Which is fine, but she lives three hours away (longer with all the stops I'll have to take), and I don't know if I'm comfortable being that far from my doctor that late in the game. I'm also not sure I'm going to feel like traveling six+ hours in two days. But as a FTM I've never been 8 months pregnant before so I don't know what to think. Would you travel that far for a baby shower three weeks prior to your due date? I do plan to ask my doctor at my next appointment, but what are your thoughts? I'm trying to figure out if we can do it sooner. 
    my cousin's fiance is having a bridal shower 2 weeks before my scheduled c-section and I'm not going.  Its 4 hours away.  Although I have a scheduled c-section, you never know, this little one might want to come out sooner than scheduled!
  • Options
    Ok, I have a question. Are any STM+ getting new tubing or parts for their pump? Do I need to? I honestly have no clue so hopefully this isn't too ridiculous of a question! I haven't used it in 2.5ish years (DS is 3 in March) and I don't know how well that stuff lasts etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you guys so much! That was really super helpful information. I feel like you guys all just made the job way easier.  @SnarkasaurusRex that office sounds like a dream! And @Blueberry85 thanks for bringing up the vax issue- that is also important to me so it's something I'll be asking when I find one 
  • Options
    For those of you looking for a Dr, have you considered asking your current Dr? I currently see a regular old family Dr (aside from pregnancy related stuff of course) and all I had to do was shoot her an email and checked it off my list.
  • Options
    @Taylor72 I don't think it's too early to start a hospital bag. However, I didn't even have one when I was pregnant with DS. I just grabbed my phone, charger, and purse as I headed out the door.  ;) I sent DH back later that day to grab DS an outfit and that was it. But I was not in the hospital for long. I wouldn't install your base any sooner than 1 month before your due date. Not sure if this is standard or personal opinion though. I'm so chill and go with the flow though, so other than the nursery that I was apparently neurotic about, I don't really plan that far in advance.  :D
  • Options
    @KirstinH88 I like the idea of 1 month beforehand, I think I'm going to go with that.  Seems like a good time.  I am normally a planner and I feel like I have done things almost every month (in the beginning) and lately every week to help get ready so it's not all at once but Idk, I'm just starting to get nervous. How obvious is it that I'm a FTM? lol 
  • Options
    @mylittleirvz I agree with PP and would purchase new parts. I pumped 4-5 times a day for almost a year, and replaced my parts quite frequently with #1. Not sure what kind of pump you have, but if it is a Medela PISA, I really like the Maymom brand that Amazon sells- and they are really inexpensive compared to actual Medela parts. 
    @taylor72 I am an anxious person, and making lists with timelines really helps me to calm TF down- which I need to do frequently :) . I have baby checklists already made for the tasks I need to complete in February, March, and April. I have in hung up on the fridge, so if DH is home and completes one of the tasks, he can mark it off. 
  • Options
    @rachelmiller03 I'm curious to know what's on your checklist! I keep thinking that I'm pretty much set for baby, but maybe I'm missing something...
  • Options

@rachelmiller03, I want to know what's on your lists too! Also, thanks for the tip about the parts on Amazon, I was looking at them and think I will go ahead and order the replacements that way!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have another question. Probably a stupid one. But my glucose test is Thursday and DH has been sick with a fever spiking up to 103 for literally five days straight. My poor body is fighting so hard to resist it and so far so good. I just can't miss a week of work right now with what's going on for events and classes, and I also don't get paid sick days. My question is, is that nasty glucose drink going to hurt my immune system? Should I reschedule the test? Or am I being irrational? 
  • Options
    @mylittleirvz My insurance allows me to get a new pump every 2 years... so I would look into a new pump, or at the very least get new tubes, valves, membranes, etc.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    HGRich said:
    I have another question. Probably a stupid one. But my glucose test is Thursday and DH has been sick with a fever spiking up to 103 for literally five days straight. My poor body is fighting so hard to resist it and so far so good. I just can't miss a week of work right now with what's going on for events and classes, and I also don't get paid sick days. My question is, is that nasty glucose drink going to hurt my immune system? Should I reschedule the test? Or am I being irrational? 
    I dont think it'll hurt your immune system, but it definitely makes your tummy ache.  Oh and I got a headache from it too.  Its so nasty!
  • Options
    @HGRich I don't think it will compromise your immune system but I agree with @shaunessa that it will probably upset your stomach and/or give you a headache. That stuff is sickenly sweet. I took both the 1 hour and the 3 hour test and they both made me feel awful the rest of the day. I ate as soon as I could after the 3 hour test, but even then the sugar crash was pretty hard. 

I think you should be okay, if you're taking the three hour test I would recommend taking the rest of the day off though. 
  • Options
    Thank you @shaunessa and @RachelGreene. I figured I was being irrational but seeing how intense his fever has been I'm pretty intent on NOT getting it from him, whatever it takes. Lol. I'm only taking the one hour but I have no plans the rest of the day so I'm going to get some rest. 

Ahh! Checklists and talk of packing hospital bags! I just can't right now.  :o I want to hide away somewhere and pretend I have more than 12 weeks left.  :p
  • Options
    @pammasu0909 my insurance does this too although I am worried about getting it due to what's going on with the ACA. With DS I couldn't get my pump until I delivered. I plan on calling the insurance company tomorrow to see if the policy has changed. I had to EP with DS so I am affraid that my pump won't make it through another year +.

As far as pediatricians go, I have a similar situation to @SnarkasaurusRex and it's awesome. If you are a working mom you definitely want to look for a ped that has night hours. It's also important to make sure that they have decent availability when your kid gets sick (regardless of your work situation)