December 2016 Moms

Stupid Questions January

13»

Re: Stupid Questions January

• We also love MAM and Rhett has gotten one since he was 3 days old. He also is the perfect bfer, no bleeding, cracking, pain, or latch problems at all. He moves seamlessly from breast to bottle to paci. It all depends on if/when you feel comfortable enough to introduce one.

The comfort nursing/using you as a paci is sometimes LO's way of upping your BM production during a growth spurt, so while it sucks sometimes it is really beneficial when they're doing it to help your supply.
    BabyRobbinsAdventureyellingbanana
  • We started using the paci from day 2 with Cooper (DS3) and have had no issues with BFing as of, though we have yet to introduce a bottle.  He's had a really good latch from the very beginning, so I wasn't really concerned.  Like @ashleaf2018 said, it's all about your personal comfort level.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
    yellingbanana
  • Loading the player...
  • Stupid question for BTDT toddler moms-
     DD1 has been on amoxicillin for nearly the full 10 day course and has been seemingly fine until she developed a fever yesterday afternoon. It was around 101.2 but her temp went back down to 98.8 before bed time after having some Motrin. This morning she woke up with a 101.4 temp but again it went back down to 98.8 after Motrin. I changed her diaper and noticed what looks like a slight yeast infection. Anyone have experience with a toddler vaginal yeast infection from antibiotics resulting in fever? I'm not even entirely sure what my question is exactly I'm just so confused that she has a fever after being on the amoxicillin for so long and it's sending my anxiety through the roof especially with a newborn in the house that all she wants to do is hug and kiss 
    yellingbanana
  • LO has really dry skin on just her face. Is there a good lotion to use? I tried the burts bees baby lotion and it doesn't seem to help
  • @kbduke for DS's dry skin I've used baby oil.  

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

kbduke
  • @karmba thanks! Baby oil... didn't even cross my mind!
  • @kbduke coconut oil may be a good choice. Anything with fragrances can cause further drying. I was just asking my pedi about this same thing the other day 
    jennbaylor12
  • @kbduke Second the less is more vote. LO had really dry skin all over when we saw the LC and she said no lotion until 4 weeks because it clogs their pores. 
  • @tinattt23 that's what I'm worried about. I normally wouldn't put anything on her but she's 6 weeks old today and her face is so dry that it looks like it might crack (specifically between her eyebrows)
  • @kbduke you could also try a humidifier if you arent already running one. My LC actually mentioned it to me the other day because its so cold out and our heat is always running. 

yellingbanana
  • @Christinaruth74  ugh, I'm so sorry. Kids and babies can totally get yeast infections too, even boys. The amoxicillin will not help. But I have no idea about the fever. Definitely call your doctor. She might be getting an allergic reaction to it :/

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Christinaruth74
  • @kbduke - my pediatrician said if we felt we had to put lotion on something to use aquafor...
  • @yellingbanana thanks... calling the pedi today. She was up at 3am burning up and so miserable. I'm beside myself... this poor girl hasn't caught a break since we had the baby :( 
    yellingbanana
  • @leksiL I have been debating this too, which diaper to use now. We aren't sure on his weight, but a month ago was 7lbs 10oz. He's still in newborn, and has only leaked 3 times (and a poop one) but was due to us not changing him as often as we should have, and also upped some ounces so more pee. He's 7 weeks today.

The NBs are still good, as I feel they are still tight around his legs to prevent the leaks now versus the 1's. I am using up the NBs and then probably moving on to the 1s and seeing how those go, which should be in another week or so based on what we have.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

leksiL
  • Can someone give insight into why my feet are still swollen? They seemed to have gone down after birth, but now they're back up to pregnancy status. Is it because I'm doing too much maybe? I'm taking the morning off from the hospital today, so hopefully that helps. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
    yellingbanana
  • @PensiveCrayon my feet/legs did not swell until postpartum. It was really bad and painful, it took about two weeks to go away! Keep them up when you can and drink lots of water.
    PensiveCrayonyellingbanana
  • @PensiveCrayon I was very swollen throughout pregnancy and the swelling in my legs and feet didn't go away until between 1-2 weeks postpartum. I can't imagine how hard it is to rest for you, but just try to get those feet up and lots of water
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @PensiveCrayon I didn't swell much during pregnancy but swelled up like crazy a few days after he was born. Took a few days and then it just went away. Thinking of you  <3
  • Can someone give insight into why my feet are still swollen? They seemed to have gone down after birth, but now they're back up to pregnancy status. Is it because I'm doing too much maybe? I'm taking the morning off from the hospital today, so hopefully that helps. 
    The exact same happened to me. They went down, I celebrated, and the next day they were swollen again. I think it's just your body adjusting to not having a baby, and beginning to produce milk - all the shifting hormones do weird things to our bodies. I'm 5w pp, and most of the swelling has gone down, but my feet still swell a little when I get up. It will all go away eventually, but make sure to tell your midwife/Ob all things at your checkup. 
    And make sure to keep hydrated, I imagine that it's hard to make sure you are taking care of yourself with everything going on with Ambrose. But it is so important, keep the liquids coming. Have you heard of Recovery Water? That stuff is amazing, look in the refrigerated drinks section at your grocery stores for it. It was the one liquid I could really down after birth. My hospital had it and when I tried it, it's so good, it feels good just to  drink it.

PensiveCrayondmontgo
  • @yellingbanana That stuff looks awesome! I'll make sure to look out for it when I go on a snack run. I'm really making a concerted effort to keep hydrated because I'm ready for the boob floodgates to open!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
    yellingbanana
  • Sorry, another one. I feel like I'm such an AW because I had my baby so late and am now needing advice!

Any ideas on healthy, transportable snacks to stock up on for feeding? The food situation at the hospital isn't exactly the most ideal. But I do have a fridge at the hotel for perishable stuff. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
    yellingbanana
  • @PensiveCrayon yogurts/gogurts, cheese sticks, granola&protein bars, sausage patties, nabisco cookies, a can of soup/chili&bowls, $ store chow mein.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

yellingbananaPensiveCrayon
  • @PensiveCrayon what about pre-cut veggies and hummus? 
    yellingbananaPensiveCrayon
  • @PensiveCrayon is there a Trader Joe's in the area? They have some of the best snacks, and you know that their stuff is healthy, they don't carry products with bad stuff in them. 

PensiveCrayonleksiL
  • @pensivecrayon - avocado and almonds - both sway your milk toward the best fats. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
    yellingbananaPensiveCrayonmaamawaabangi
  • Does anyone know if you can have whey protein powder shakes while breastfeeding? I'm working out again finally and I usually take them and took them when I was a kick boxer in high school too but I want to make sure it's safe before I take them again? 
    yellingbananaLisa3379
  • I read yes, it is safe. 

• @wynterwaddell I've heard great things about Milk Drunk protein powder for nursing moms.
    yellingbanana
  • Not sure where to put this but maybe someone has a similar experience. When I changed A's diaper this afternoon, we noticed blood on the edge of the diaper and blood in his bellybutton. Is this something we should be concerned about or is it just part of the healing process? He's almost 3 weeks old and the umbilical cord came off at 1 week 1 day.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Srey Saw said:
    Not sure where to put this but maybe someone has a similar experience. When I changed A's diaper this afternoon, we noticed blood on the edge of the diaper and blood in his bellybutton. Is this something we should be concerned about or is it just part of the healing process? He's almost 3 weeks old and the umbilical cord came off at 1 week 1 day.
    I'd probably watch for a day or so to see if there's more blood before calling the Dr. Unless it was a lot of blood then I'd be worried. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

yellingbanana
  • Srey Saw said:
    Not sure where to put this but maybe someone has a similar experience. When I changed A's diaper this afternoon, we noticed blood on the edge of the diaper and blood in his bellybutton. Is this something we should be concerned about or is it just part of the healing process? He's almost 3 weeks old and the umbilical cord came off at 1 week 1 day.
    This happened to us at almost the exact ages you said! Our led said unless it is pus or a lot of blood we shouldn't worry
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Lurking from Oct 16. It could be excess scar tissue that hasn't healed. My LO's kept bleeding just a little bit and when I called they said the same thing as PP but luckily I mentioned it at her next appt because the DR had to cauterize it. Now her belly button looks great and has completely healed. 
    yellingbanana
  • @scgirl6113 @Ladybug2821 Thanks for this information. I figured it wasn't a big enough deal to call an emergency line but I'll call his nurse on Monday just to mention it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    yellingbanana
  • For csection mamas - I had an emergency csection 5 weeks ago. Stopped bleeding completely last week after it went down to watery and light pink. Just Thursday night/Friday morning it started again suddenly, a lot, bright red with a quarter sized clot yesterday. Called L&D today and nurse said it's either my period even though rare while nursing, or I need to go to ER if it keeps up. Anyone had this? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oy, now I'm getting lower abdominal pain and contraction-like cramping. I think I'll have to go to the ER tomorrow.  :s

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @SaraRose83 my bleeding has been all over the place this time around and was the same way after my c section with DD1. But I'm wondering also if it's your period starting up... are you soaking through pads? Hopefully it's nothing!
    SaraRose83yellingbanana
  • I'm hoping that's what it is. I was soaking through a pad every two hours yesterday, but by the middle of the night it was down to half a pad every 4 hours, so I think I'm ok. The cramping is worrisome, but maybe just period cramps. My fear is having some sort of infection, but I don't have a fever. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    yellingbanana
  • @SaraRose83  I'm RCS here, 6 weeks. my bleeding had been all over the place, it could be that. Or period. As long as it has stopped or slowed, that's good. But always better to be safe than sorry.