December 2016 Moms

Stupid Questions January

Re: Stupid Questions January

• @ajstevenson - I found the CVS brand was softer than Always.
  • Loading the player...
  • Does anyone have any tips for getting baby to sleep and stay asleep? He sleeps good if I hold him or let him sleep on my chest or let him nurse to sleep or Pat him but DH complains when I do that even though that's the only way he sleeps or I get any real rest, he will sleep in his bassinet if you put him in there already asleep or if you hold his pinkie in his mouth and Pat him...I tried the cry it out method a little while last night and couldn't sleep unless I put my hands over my ears and then dh just wakes up with an attitude so I'm really looking for any useful/helpful information. Any advice is greatly appreciated ladies

• @wynterwaddell we have had serious luck so far keeping Max asleep at night for 3 hour chunks pretty regularly. Here's what we do (I'm sure what we're doing is not all that special though): 

When he wakes up, change him. 
    Feed him until you're pretty sure he's full. When Max eats only a little and passes out, when we put him down, he doesn't stay asleep for long. 
    Burp him/hold him semi-upright for 15-20 minutes until he's basically asleep, or at least drifting in and out. Oh yeah, all this is done in a dark room with no distractions. 
    Swaddle tightly and put him down. We use a white noise machine, and we're pretty confident it helps. 
    Sometimes he'll be awake and make a little noise when he's down, but he'll usually fall asleep on his own after a bit. 

• So one of my boys (Oliver) eats like a normal newborn should.  I'm concerned that Ethan has a tapeworm.  Seriously.  This kid will eat 6+ ounces at a time and is still eating every 3 hours (other than a 4-5 hour stretch at night).  He's SEVEN pounds, and just seven at that.  I keep waiting to wear all 6 ounces and he keeps it down no problem.  Could he just need that much food?  What else could be going on?  Normal stools and no thoughts of GI distress/allergies.  He's got reflux but that's pretty run of the mill for preemies.  I feed him until he tells me he's full (after screaming for more food) but it just doesn't make sense... where is it all going?  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @Lisa3379 I will try that. I do all of that except for the white noise, so I will try this method and see how it works out for me Hopefully it will work. Thank you for the advice. 
  • @slarrtybartfast Might be too young but bring some snow in a bowl and set him on a towel with some spoons/cups and let him go to town? Or even just a bowl of water can be fun.
  • @slartybartfast we aren't snowed in, but moon sand or whatever it's called has been a life saver lately. And it's not nearly as messy as I anticipated! It buys us a little chunk of time here and there, anyway. Godspeed. 
  • I second the kinetic sand @slartybartfast
  • I actually saw a recipe for kinetic sand on Facebook... it might be fun to make... but you do need regular sand to make kinetic sand and that might not brsomethung you have lying around.  You can also find recipes to make play dough.
  • @slartybartfast
    Play dough (homemade), go play in the snow (or bring some inside)?, make your own snack (trail mix with whatever), make a couch cushion fort or sheet tent, throw a ball in a hamper, learn to dust baseboards, nap? 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• @wynterwaddell it sounds like you are doing things well. I ended up using a small fan for white noise, and we have to use a real fan in our bathroom for ventilation. That seems to help keep DS asleep when napping. Definitely keep room dark. And I know babies aren't supposed to sleep with blankets, but I swaddle DS and leave the corner of the blanket for under his head instead of folding it down. I feel like that helps too. 

@DiFazette my DS eats WAY more than my other babies did. Like twice as much. I keep wondering what is up, I think he has a little reflux as well. But he totally drains both my boobs, which has to be 6-7 oz., in one sitting. My DDs only ever drank from one side and were full. Some kids are just eaters? Whatever makes them happy at this point. 

@slartybartfast  I'm sorry you guys are snowed in. Pots and pans drum set? Definitely @maamawaabangi  suggestions, learning to clean can be so fun! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• ajstevensonajstevenson member
    edited January 2017

@slartybartfast  I'm sorry you guys are snowed in. Pots and pans drum set? Definitely @maamawaabangi  suggestions, learning to clean can be so fun! 
    My best friends LO is 15 months. Her favorite thing to do is dust. She takes things off of her toys and low furniture and whipes it all down.

2nding the homemade playdough as well. I have a great recipe if you'd like it!

Pregnancy Ticker 

• @yellingbanana thanks for calming my nerves.  I wouldn't think too much of it but in comparison to his twin brother he's taking in 8-10 ounces more so I'm constantly comparing.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @DiFazette my small baby can also drink amazing amounts of milk!! I don't think you can overfeed a newborn.

DIAPER QUESTION: How do you know baby has outgrown her diaper size? I just got another giant box of NB diapers since box says to 10 lbs and she was 7 & change when i bought them but they are starting to leak and can be more difficult to fasten.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• leksiL said:
    DIAPER QUESTION: How do you know baby has outgrown her diaper size? I just got another giant box of NB diapers since box says to 10 lbs and she was 7 & change when i bought them but they are starting to leak and can be more difficult to fasten.
    We usually move up when they start leaking, although we also try to maximize the amount of time spent in the smaller size because with most brands you get more per package.
    also make sure you are fastening the tabs correctly to prevent leaks. Pulling the diaper up high in the back and then fastening the tabs in a downward angle in the front helps us prevent the leaks.
    the lbs are just a guideline. We've had Emmy in sz 1 since birth (8lbs)
  • @yellingbanana We have a little heater in our room that puts off a little bit of sound so I guess that counts as white noise. Other wise I have a app on my phone but he doesn't seem to really respond to it but he does like this little bird rattle toy that sings my mom got him for Christmas so played that yesterday when he was crying because he was sleepy and he calmed down. He also settled down really fast last night when I gave him a bath and got him dressed and then fed him and within 20 minutes he was asleep and slept until 11 or 12pm and I put him down at 8. I guess it's just learning what works for your child. 
  •  Decongestant for babies? Poor Olivia has had a stuffy nose for WEEKS. The doctor said it was just congestion, and to use saline and a nosfrida to try to clear it. I've tried and tried. We put a humidifier in the girls room. I still can barely get anything out. I used a q-tip to try to pull some boogers out that I could see. Poor girl is snorting all the time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brittnic86 are you using saline drops or spray?  When the boys were in the PICU they used drops (quite a bit) let it sit for 45 seconds then suctioned.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• also make sure you are fastening the tabs correctly to prevent leaks. Pulling the diaper up high in the back and then fastening the tabs in a downward angle in the front helps us prevent the leaks.
    the lbs are just a guideline. We've had Emmy in sz 1 since birth (8lbs)
    Thank you! I will try the fastening tip :)
    Married Jan 2008 

• @DiFazette drops. I'll let them sit and try again.  I just feel so bad for her
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • When do you introduce a pacifier? LO uses me and it's obvious. She will cry for boob 20 minutes after eating and then lightly suckle/just kind of hang there. Is there a time that you usually wait until you introduce? 
  • Both LO had pacis within hours of birth. 

2.5 yo won't give it up now...
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @BabyRobbinsAdventure I was avoiding the paci. Then at about a week and a half LC gave us the all clear. Said if they've figure out their latch on the boob already, it's fine. As long as it's not used to replace or delay a feeding. We use it all the time now when I know he's not hungry but needs to chill. 
  • I was also avoiding the binkie. Gave in 2 weeks ago and it has been a miracle worker. He still nurses just fine! 

• Team paci here too. My nipples are way too sensitive to have her constantly nurse for comfort :( My pediatrician also said that it's good for LOs to have pacifiers when going to sleep to help prevent SIDS because it keeps them from going into a super deep sleep, or something along those lines.

• I wish my LO would take a paci! We've tried three different kinds and he might suck on it for a few minutes, but then spits it out. What brands have worked for you all? Any tricks to getting your LOs to keep it in?
  • gowenc said:
    I wish my LO would take a paci! We've tried three different kinds and he might suck on it for a few minutes, but then spits it out. What brands have worked for you all? Any tricks to getting your LOs to keep it in?
    I've been trying to get LO to take one since she likes to comfort nurse and I have massive oversupply issues. Not having too much success, and I didn't with her older sisters either.  I know many swear by the wubbanub/soothie.  I'm trying mam now, but I'm pretty sure it's futile. I think she needs the closeness just as much as the sucking and no paci is a good enough substitute for mommy.
  • I've always avoided a paci for at least a month. DS had no overt attachment to them/no problems dropping them, although they definitely helped for a time. Just introduced LO to a paci, specifically a Wubbanub (which we used with DS as well) this week and she Loves it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I use the NUK pacifier, which the LC I saw said is her choice. Something about the shape of it. 
  • We're addicted to wubbanubs. I think they're so cute.
  • @sarah12 we use the NUK too, the shape works really well.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Thanks for the recommendations! I haven't tried the NUK, getting on amazon now!
  • Team paci here. We used a MAM with DD1 but are using Natursutten with Willa. The shape is rounder so she's still getting use to it, but it's been really helpful for comfort-sucking and we've had zero issues with nipple confusion. She will latch decently to my boob, the bottle and the paci at this point. 
  • We have used MAM with both DD1, and now DS. We had the Nuk but he didn't like it, also those hollow turquoise ones the hospital has. He gets angry at those.

• LO likes the nuks too by really loves the munchkin newborn paci that came with the latch bottles!
    Married Jan 2008 

• We use the mam or the $ store ones that are similar to the mam. L loves them when teething, and E only wants them at night.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Mamax2Mamax2 member
    edited January 2017
    @gowenc we use the Tommy tippee closer to nature pacis, as well as the gumdrop brand pacis. DS loves both of them, and they're both orthodontic pacis.