Baby Names
Options

Russell?

I need honest opinions on the name Russell. I really want to name my first and only (this will be our last baby) son after my dad, I am my father's only biological child and I would love to honor him in this way. My only worry is that, Russell is too "old school" or too much of an old man name. Please let me know what you think! What is your first impression of the name Russ / Russell.

These are some middle names we have in mind to go with Russell

Russell Jonathan (after a loved one who passed away)
Russell Shiloh (after another loved one)

I am ok with using it as his middle name as well, if I can find a "strong" masculine, not too common first name. I am open to any suggestions!!

Re: Russell?

• Options
    It's not my stye but I don't hate it. I think Russell Jonathan is a good one.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Love it! 

Russell Jonathan!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think it is an old man name.  I like Russell Jonathan and if he doesn't like Russell or Russ, he could go by RJ
  • Options
    I like it. you could also use Rusty as a nn.

Russell Jonathan flows best.
  • Options
    I think Russell would be so cute on a little boy and Rusty is a cute nn. Russell Jonathan definitely flows better.
  • Options
    I really like it as a first name - it's not one that you hear every day, so it's refreshing! I also prefer Russell Jonathan.
  • Options
    Agree for sure with PP, I really like the name Russell! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like Russell, but it's a normal name and nothing wrong with it, just nms. I really hate Rusty as a nn. Rusty was a degrading term used to tease kids when I was a child about their skin so that's probably why I feel that way.
    I like Russell Jonathan better than Shiloh.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I think it's great. Russel Jonathan sounds good to me. I kind of like the nickname Russ too. 
  • Options
    Russell was my first boy pick, but DH hated it!! I'm sad because I was looking forward to calling him Rusty :) 
  • Options
    I like Russell Jonathan. Not a name that you here every day. 
  • Options
    I like Russell Jonathan as well. I dislike Rusty but it's just a NN so whatever.
  • Options
    It's NMS, but I still like it. 
  • Options
    It isn't a name I have ever given thought to. I like it. It isn't overdone and certainly not too old school, it's also a great tribute. Russ is a fine nick name if you wanted to go that route. 
    I prefer Russell Jonathan over Russell Shilol. 
  • Options
    NMS but I don't necessarily think "old man" either.

I prefer Russell Jonathan.
  • Options
    Love this! Great choice! 
  • Options
    I like Russell okay, but don't really like the nicknames much.  Nothing wrong with them, though.  I'm from Seattle, and my first thought before I read this post was that you might be naming the baby after Russell Willson (from the Seahawks).  People love him!  So, he will probably bring the name Russell back.  :)
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options
    I love it - it is one of my favorites actually.  I like the NN Russ. It is an old man name but I find that endearing. What a beautiful way to honor your Dad and your lineage.  It's tough to judge the names of those who have passed but I find Russell Johnathan to be better matched fwiw. 
  • Options
    I like it! Wanted it on our boys list, but it doesn't go with our last name at all. 
  • Options

I don't think 'old man' at all...I think of the cute kid from Up, haha. Agree with PPs that Russell Jonathon flows best.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My husband just suggested Russell yesterday, but I vetoed because our last name starts with "S." Too many "S" sounds. I like the nickname Rus.
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19.