February 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM: November Edition

Re: Ask a STM: November Edition

• Options
    I had caffeine through pregnancy and while bf. I did try to have it not in the evening so just in case it wouldn't keep them up. But personally I didn't feel like I noticed (in baby) anything by drinking it. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Spicyweiner Spicyweiner member
    edited November 2016
    ohstars said:
    Question for STMs who love the coffee and fed babies from your boobs last time - did you drink caffeine while BF-ing/pumping? If no, at what point in your pregnancy did you stop?

I just started drinking coffee and I'm loving life with my caffeine. I remember last time it was hard to figure out how long after drinking caffeine I could pump. I ended up going zero caffeine while I was pumping, but now when I think about dropping my coffee I get sad. Thoughts?
    I still drank my normal amount while BFing. But I also haven't cut it out while pregnant. 
    Eta: I'm a strict morning only coffee drinker though. I don't sleep if I drink it in the afternoon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ohstars I was told by my OB to avoid coffee amongst other things because I had a reflux baby but or else she said drinking a cup a day was no issue at all.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. The whole BF/pumping phase was a short nightmare for me, so I don't remember much of it last time. Maybe I avoided the caffeine because I also had reflux baby? Maybe I just avoided it because I skipped it last pregnancy altogether? Either way, I like the consensus that a cup in the morning even during BFing seems ok. 
  • Options
    Do any STM (or even FTM) have any recommendations for good breastfeeding books?

I really wanted to take the BF class offered at my hospital but they only offer it every other month. The two options I have are the same day/time my mom and MIL already planned my baby shower or after LO is born. I'm bummed that I won't get to take a class, but I still want to learn as much as I can about BFing. Thanks!
  • Options
    @ColeBug89  "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" was recommended to me by our Bradley Method teacher and doula. Haven't read it yet, though. 

• Options
    With DD, I avoided caffeine through the whole pregnancy and started back up with 1 cup per day when she 2-3 weeks old and I swear she didn't sleep more than 30 minutes at a time as a result.  When I decided to see if it was the caffeine (on like day 2 or 3 of resuming consumption) I did some google research and it turns out it takes about 2 weeks for caffeine to get out of a babies system and it was about long give or take before she got back to her regular sleep pattern (which wasn't all that good to start with, but was better than 30 mins at a time).

With DS, I started back on caffeine with 1/2 to 1 cup per day towards the end of second tri and I didn't notice it having any effect on him (he was a really great napper!).

• Options
    Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    edited November 2016
    If you live someplace cold, how much are you getting for this year in terms of baby outerwear? I was looking at "prams" online, but they're kind of expensive for baby clothes. I'm thinking I might need one to get him home from the hospital at least, but there's a decent chance he'll pop out already too big for NB (I did) so I'm wondering if buying both a NB and a 0-3 is worth it. I guess if the NB is a bust for me maybe one of you late Feb ladies could profit.

I'm mostly limited to BRU for all purchasing due to the large quantity of gift cards I now possess. All of my non-BRU budget is pretty much going to cloth diapers.
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 FTM here, but I ended up getting two prams for my LO...one was only $10 on the BRU website. I think it might have been Carter's and was on sale? I also got the same brand pram in a different print at Marshall's for around $7.99. I wasn't sure about sizing, so I got 0-3 since I figured I would rather have it bigger for layering than it be too small and she wouldn't be able to wear it. Not sure if any STM+ have better advice! 
  • Options
    Nice @Colebug89! They don't have any that cheap right now, but maybe I'll wait and watch the deals a bit longer. 
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 i got an all in one pram suit in the gap outlet for over half price off. I went for 0-3 months aswell cauae of layering. I want to get a little coat aswell but might wait til the january sales for that.
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 I'm not sure if this was mentioned but you can also use those 20% off bed bath and beyond coupons at buy buy Baby. I would go with the 0-3 month. I bought very few NB things and I probably won't get too much this time either.
  • Options
    Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but can you put baby in one of those pram outfits to come home in the carseat? For some reason I thought any puffy clothing was a no go in the carseat and I was going to have to just layer him in blankets?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! We are in Florida, so it likely won't be below freezing (but it does dip and stay there occasionally). I was thinking that even though it's not a fancy coming home outfit, I'd probably just bring his coziest footie sleeper, a hat, mittens, and some blankets for the car seat.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl no the pram suit is just for outside walks in the pram, its a no go in a car seat
  • Options
    Thanks guys! We actually ended up ordering one that's one-layer fleece as opposed to puffy, so it may be car seat safe depending on fit. I plan to get a shower-cap style cover too. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! We are in Florida, so it likely won't be below freezing (but it does dip and stay there occasionally). I was thinking that even though it's not a fancy coming home outfit, I'd probably just bring his coziest footie sleeper, a hat, mittens, and some blankets for the car seat.
    We're doing the same outfit plan and I'm a similar climate as you I'm pretty sure. 
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl we have footie pjs a hat and blanket for our 10 foot walk to the car  :D
  • Options
    Is this the type of body suit that would be ok to wear in a car seat? It's a normal fabric lining with the fuzzy outside

• Options
    I have no idea what thread to post this in...
    Do any of you have any suggestions/resources on the best way to stockpile diapers and wipes? Like how many should I have, what's considered a good price, etc. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do any of you have any suggestions/resources on the best way to stockpile diapers and wipes? Like how many should I have, what's considered a good price, etc. 
    To me, it all depends on what you end up liking. My kids are much older now (10 and almost 8) so there might be better options now than what there was back then... but I loved using the softer cloth type wipes. We bought a big box of individual refills from target. It was the target brand. They lasted forever. I am hoping they still have those cause that's what I've been just assuming we will use again. And for diapers, I ended up using disposable ones. I like pampers and luvs... I hate Huggies, those stupid tabs were always ripping off and if you get cheaper diapers it's a gamble. We bought cheap ones from a dollar general or something, and one of our kids leaked through every single one. They sucked big time. For sizes, *if* your baby fits in newborn diapers, it won't be for long so I wouldn't suggest buying any of those. (If you have a shower you will most likely get plenty of those anyway) My step mil worked at a hospital and she said that once they open the diapers and you leave, they throw them away... just take the package home with you from the hospital. Then I feel like size 2 and 3 were the ones my kids wore the longest so you could buy lots of those if you have storage space. We buy the biggest boxes we can, *usually* they are cheaper in the long run. Basically I'd just start looking at different stores and online now so you can start pricing them and have a good idea of were you want to purchase them from. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lfrank12 since you're in ohio too... we never fought with a suit like that, though I'm sure would be fine (plus that's super cute!!) We ended up taking a couple blankets and "tucked" the baby in, and used one of those car seat covers (I posted a picture earlier back in the thread, I think this thread). Either way you for sure want a blanket or car seat cover, because you don't want the cold winter air hitting the baby or her breathing it in. 

Also forgive me if it didn't make sense with the conversation. I got too far behind and just skipped to the end
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I stockpiled huggies last time with coupons, but we had a coupon ninja on my last board who tracked the deals. This time I bought one pack of newborns and a pack of size 1s in huggies and then I'll be relying on Amazon Prime for the rest. 
  • Options
    Amazon prime does subscribe and save, and for diapers then you can just adjust the size you order.   Most places will exchange unopened diapers, so you can always grab newborn and size 1 and try a couple things. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't really stockpile. In my experience both hospitals gave us a ton of diapers. Like the first time I came home with an actual garbage full of diapers. If you're having a shower you'll probably get diapers and I would put size 1 and 2's on your registry in a couple different brands. Once they get out of needing the super soft plush newborn type diapers Target's brand is a great option. Amazon subscribe and save is probably what I'll use this time around once we get home.
  • Options
    https://www.passionforsavings.com/deal/2016/11/45-off-pampers-diapers-amazon-free-shipping/

Deal on on pampers diapers today. 20% off with Amazon mom and another 25% percent off with the coupon you can clip. Makes the size 2s a little under .11 per diaper! Then you can cancel the subscribe and safe after you've received the box. That's what I do when I find good deals. 
  • Options
    Ladies, I have a question about formula that's not related to my own parenting plans. I haven't done any digging on this, because I'm planning on trying to breastfeed, but my students are doing a Christmas hamper at school; our family has a 9 month old baby, the mom has requested formula, but has not given any further guidance. My students are in the dark, and since I'm packing a baby belly, they figure I know the answer.... sooo... help? What is a good middle of the road formula for a 9 month old, assuming no food allergies...

Also, related, but I'm telling them to buy size 2/3 for diapers. Does that sound right?
  • Options
    @poetryandoceans I know nothing about formula but size 3-4 diapers 
  • Options
    @poetryandoceans my kids are bigger now, but when I quit pumping with them we used Enfamil in the gold/yellow can. Our daughter spit up a lot so we ended up switching to the Similac for sensitive tummies on her, but if it wasn't for her spitting up we would have stuck with the Enfamil 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I used enfamil because that's what my hospital had DS on and we had a ton of feeding problems so I stayed brand loyal. That said, I have a few friends who loved target brand formula and I know it's cheaper so you will get more for what you were planning on spending. 
  • Options
    @PerraSucia @kswiger06 @scottipino @ohstars Thanks ladies, sounds like enfamil is the winner! I'm Canadian, so there's no WIC coverage, but it's the name that's coming up most frequently, so I think we'll stick with that plus receipts :)  
  • Options

How is everyone staying awake between like 1pm and 3pm?? I have my allotted cup of coffee in the morning and by like 2pm I'm falling asleep at my desk. I had been doing fine sleeping until last week or so. I need like 16 naps

• Options
    @lct2008 thanks for sharing the diaper deal!  I'm subscribed to several deal sites, but somehow I totally missed that one, but luckily it's still valid so I just added a box.  Thanks for sharing!  If you run across any more great deals will you put them on the deals and steals thread so they're easy to find?

• Options
    @silvercamaro77 glad you were able to snag the deal! I totally will. I didn't even think about the deals and steals thread, just posted here because the topic of diaper stashing had come up. 
  • Options

How is everyone staying awake between like 1pm and 3pm?? I have my allotted cup of coffee in the morning and by like 2pm I'm falling asleep at my desk. I had been doing fine sleeping until last week or so. I need like 16 naps

I save my caffeine for afternoon for this reason. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    @skiingstark I may have to start doing that because it is getting really bad