May 2017 Moms
Options

UO 10/20

2»

Re: UO 10/20

• Options
    @SKZW now it looks like you were trolling. Second language problems here, help me out, get the "Sarcasm" sign out, i'm begging you.
  • Options
    SKZW said:
    My UO is that I really do like Donald Trump. Hear me out! He's right about a lot of things... women are mostly emotional trainwrecks... it's true, we are... and copping a feel whenever you want, is like, no big deal, or else why would our boobs stick out like that, in such an obvious grabby place... and this is on old topic but building a wall with Mexico still makes a lot of sense, because that's truly where all the terrorists and job-stealers come from... because in reality it is "the other" of us that causes all the problems, and we're personally at zero fault, am I right? And that's not racist or discriminatory, it's just the truth. And you can't argue with "facts."

And what does it matter that he's a businessman without any foreign policy experience, I believe that running this country solely like a business makes a LOT of sense, it's what we need, and it's what will help get us out from under this crushing, crushing debt. (Won't it?) Social programs and domestic issues are superfluous. One more thing. Here's the top-most reason why I'm a fan: A lot of seemingly well-educated, honest, hard-working, family-supporting, lovely women out there are following his lead and drinking up his every word like gospel, so, like, that's why I am too.

P.S. That woman with the "horrible" "offensive" "outrageous" "disgusting" crotch t-shirt on the other day? It was me. Proud of it.
    If this is sarcasm, I love you.  If not, just no.  And also:

I think my head just exploded
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Luckyu317Luckyu317 member
    edited October 2016
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot, I'm not anti-paci. Both of my kids gave it up by 6&4 mo, so we've not dealt with the attachment issue/paci yet. My UO stems more for kids who are obviously too old- I saw a 5 or 6 yo walking around with one at the store the other day.
  • Options
    @thistlenweeds Nope, not a troll. An actual, factual person. Call my crazy but I REALLY don't want to talk politics with anyone who is serious about their opinions. I posted to UO b/c this is our safe zone. Here... does this help you...

• Options
    Luckyu317 said:
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot, I'm not anti-paci. Both of my kids gave it up by 6&4 mo, so we've not dealt with the attachment issue/paci yet. My UO stems more for kids who are obviously too old- I saw a 5 or 6 yo walking around with one at the store the other day.

Sorry, @Luckyu317. I wasn't meaning to comment on your UO.  Mine came from all the "no paci in the hospital" birth plan talk.  I don't think timing would have made a difference for my kid or helped increase her desire to use one.  But all the paci comments together made me think of my UO.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @MoshiMoshi7 @abby7 yes, so much yes. People are so uneducated about what that really means and don't have any idea what they're talking about! Very frustrating. On a similar note, my grandfather was a chemical engineer and actually was pretty big at Monsanto. Don't get me wrong some of their pesticides and chemicals have done things no one intended but the things and conveniences and modern advances we have because of companies like these are unfathomable. They aren't automatically the "bad guy."
  • Options
    kayemjay2 said:
    My UO is that I think "gender" reveal parties (sex reveal) are ridiculous. It's a party to celebrate your unborn baby's genitals. It's weird. 
    +1

Related, I think the very aggressive gendering of newborn products is creepy and strange.  Why are there boy and girl pacifiers and toys and furniture?  They are all babies, and their needs are the same.  Clothes kind of make sense, but even then, I would prefer gender neutral to be re-usable with future possible babs. Plus the clothes that are like 'future prom queen' and 'ladies' man' and stuff... .>.>  This is my side-eye.
    @Wildflowers and Ferns (I don't think the Tag works) I totally bought pink and blue bottles for my twins but that was to be able to identify who's was who's

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    chickyclg said:
    I have another: The ER is NOT the place for any kind of prenatal care or "followup." This is why healthcare is so jacked up and expensive and waits are so long!!
    YES!! While we are at it, a 101 degree fever is not an automatic reason to go to the ER with your kid. 
    Yes.  Our pediatrician has always said to treat the kid, not the fever.  Give your kid some tylenol or advil if they're lethargic.  If they don't perk up in an hour, then be concerned. When DD has a fever, it's always a high fever. It's also always brought down and she perks up with meds, so I don't worry. I'm so annoyed when people freak out over a the height of the temp without first trying to bring it down with meds. I'm also annoyed when ppl want to dose their kid at the first sign of a fever if they are acting normal.  Sidenote: I'm still not a doctor.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot   Right there with you. I like the way your pedi thinks. We should really have bumper stickers, or billboards, or something that says "Treat the kid, not the fever!" Unless your kiddo is not a run-of-the-mill ordinary child (chronic disease, immunosuppression, etc.). Then please please have someone eyeball your kid. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    kayemjay2 said:
    My UO is that I think "gender" reveal parties (sex reveal) are ridiculous. It's a party to celebrate your unborn baby's genitals. It's weird. 
    AGREED!! Isn't obvious to everyone that NO ONE actually cares about the gender of anyone else's child, and people only ask about gender to make small talk?? Just have a regular party if you are looking for an excuse to get family and friends together, and stop being so full of yourself... 
  • Options
    I also hate gender reveal parties. It seems like you're hitting up people to buy your child yet another gift. Just open a box full of pink or blue balloons and post it to Facebook.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @Kipperoo I agree w the his name is this but we will call him this. My coworker is doing that right now w her babe due in Feb it's annoying to me. 
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot - I'm completely pro-pacifier too. Don't they say it helps prevent SIDS? Plus it really is a true soothing item. However, I don't think a kid should ever be over 2 and have one. It needs to go away before then. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Kipperoo said:

Mine is, I don't understand when people give their child a name with the intention of only calling them by a nickname. Just name them what you want to call them! 
    I actually kind of disagree. I think that if they are planning on using a name completely different then yes, they should name them that. Like I knew someone whose family called him Slade and yet his real name was Jonathan. In that case, yes I agree. 

However it really bugs me when adults have shortened names for a first name, like Nate or Ty or Libby, or Lizzie. I see it as at some point that kid is going to grow up and  become an adult and they might prefer having a more adult name rather than a nickname to be called by.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    bacorrea said:
    I think it's silly to "plan your birth" it puts stress on the mother. I'm fine with "oh I want an epidural, skin to skin, breastfeeding etc," but candles, lighting, time of day. You just can't plan that stuff.

It always make me think of Gilmore Girls when Sherry is freaking out screaming "she isn't supposed to come until next week!" Oh honey, it doesn't work like that.  :D
    Yessssssss!!! When I had my oldest, I went in to be induced. My nurse asked "do you have a birth plan?" I said "sure as heck do. Whatever you tell me to do! Because I'm clueless!!" She laughed and said "oh, we're gonna like you!!"
  • Options

SKZW said:
    ... And you can't argue with "facts."

lol

• Options
    Abby7 said:
    I seriously side-eye parents who hover over their children on playground equipment, unless they are under 3 or so. If you are never more than 10 feet from your child when they are on the playground, you are being restrictive and neurotic. It strikes me as plain weird for a child to have their every move watched and followed while they play. Sit on the bench and let your kid have at it.
    I agree 100%. I have always been one to let my kids just go. Worst case scenario someone breaks their arm, which is really less damaging IMO than having no confidence and ability to solve problems on one's own.

That said, I'd hesitate to judge helicopter parents because sometimes the hovering is for a reason (a kid with a major disability or a parent who is still getting over that kid or another kid's major incident/death from an accident.)

I used to be totally anti-helicopter, but in the past year it emerged that my son has major difficulties in social situations. I have resorted to having to hover in any social situation (i.e. most playground situations, as well as neighborhood kids playing on the block, etc.) I'm not in the least bit concerned about him falling out of a tree or whatever and will refuse to help him if he sees me there and wants a hand up/down from climbing, but I need to be on him when he is in a situation to interact with other kids. I have to remind him of strategies of how to do it well, and I have to make sure I'm there to catch it if something starts to go badly (he gets frustrated and angry easily, and that can turn to aggression--verbal and/or physical). If he's already friends with the kids and comfortable with them I will hang back. I also might hang back if it is strangers because I do think it's good for him to practice without my watch. But if it's that in-between zone (like our neighbors, actually--he's not comfortable with them but we can't afford to "screw up" the relationship), I have to hover. There is no other option. We have hung back in the past and it has had really bad consequences.

So as a result I am more sympathetic to other hover-ers as well because they might have some specific reason.

But yes, I do want to say that I REALLY do agree with you. Kids learn a lot better when they can just BE. I'd even say that you can stop hovering as soon as the kid is 2 in most cases, and depending on the equipment, sometimes sooner than that.

• Options
    @SKZW Well I do live in Colorado! ;)
  • Options
    My uo- I do not give a crap about how much weight I gain with this pregnancy. I gained 50 with my daughter and it was super uncomfortable, swore I would do better this time but damn the only foods that sound good are carbs and I just don't care at all. It is so much easier when it is hypothetical...

omg this is me. I swore I wouldn't do it again and I'm eating like crazy. For me it's also that I will feel nauseated if I don't eat, and really the only thing that works well is carbs. But I know I'm headed down the 50+ lbs gain path again whether I like it or not. I just hope I can change my habits as soon as the nausea stops, if it ever will!

• Options
    @kat81 totally agree, I feel ill if nothing in my stomach and fruits and vegetables sound completely disgusting. Here's hoping for second trimester relief for everyone
  • Options
    @kat81 I had a birth center turned hospital transfer/c-section if you want to know my experience.  I'm also an RN at that same birth center so I know a lot about how they work.  
  • Options
    @NurseMom I'd be interested in knowing more about your experience. I'm also considering a birth center.
  • Options
    chickyclg said:
    kayemjay2 said:
    +1

Related, I think the very aggressive gendering of newborn products is creepy and strange.  Why are there boy and girl pacifiers and toys and furniture?  They are all babies, and their needs are the same.  Clothes kind of make sense, but even then, I would prefer gender neutral to be re-usable with future possible babs. Plus the clothes that are like 'future prom queen' and 'ladies' man' and stuff... .>.>  This is my side-eye.
    @Wildflowers and Ferns (I don't think the Tag works) I totally bought pink and blue bottles for my twins but that was to be able to identify who's was who's
    That makes sense though, and is useful.  My mother, having two close in age daughters, color coded us.  Pink everything for me, purple everything for my sister.  This persisted into the teen years, to our mild disgust, whenever possible, we would get pink and purple... but it was surely useful to know whose water bottle/bath towel/whatever was whose.