February 2017 Moms
Options

Family Matters 10/16/16

13»

Re: Family Matters 10/16/16

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't think we've made a new one, so I'll dig up this thread. This is an in-law rant and is going to be long. I've mentioned a few times about my crazy in-laws and how I let MIL and FIL live with h and I for about a month. The duration of time she lived here she got hired and quit three different jobs, spent all her money on drugs for the FIL (we found empty insulin syringes in our car and house), and she didn't know we could see her bank activity, but she was getting $400/week for disability and still lying to us about her money and asking us for food/clothes/gas money. So we gave her some money and told her to return to Florida where she wanted to be. She has since refused to find a place to live and she has been bouncing from friends houses and ex boyfriends families houses mooching off each one until they get tired of her and kick her out. She has ignored us and the pregnancy since we kicked her out in May (told her we were pregnant in June). She just sent these to me and DH today and he's adamant against responding to her. He's angry she isn't taking responsibility for her actions and blaming it on her "illness". She hasn't reached out to us at all since May and now she wants to know why we're ignoring her? She all of a sudden wants to be a part of our family? I think she's just trying to keep her options open because she seems to think DH has "ATM" written across his forehead. I don't even know what to do about her. DH is conflicted, he feels he should call her and explain why he's angry at her, but at the same time, she'd never take responsibility for her actions so really what's the point? So tired of all her drama and the perpetual pity party she throws herself. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @LivingLaVidaGinger I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I mean it is possible that she has suddenly realized that family is important but based on history I agree that it does sound like she's probably going to ask for money again. As for calling to tell her why you're mad at her I'm not sure that will really get anywhere since she doesn't accept responsibility for her own actions. While I don't have the money problems with my mom she just decides to be very cruel once in a while and refuses to respect that I'm my own person with my own family. It's so frustrating because if I try to tell her how what she's said or done has upset me she just won't accept it and she's either got an excuse or claims I'm crazy and it didn't happen. I will say though that I've recently just come to peace with the fact she's going to react this way and so telling her why I'm upset is at least a way for me to get it out and get some closure. I just have to no longer expect that it's going to resolve the situation but I can at least say I tried. So maybe if he takes it with that attitude rather than hoping to fix the situation he will still get some benefit from telling her exactly why he's mad.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    @LivingLaVidaGinger I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this family stress right now. I do agree with what @WinchesterGirl said about it potentially being a sympathy play with financial motives. If it would make your DH feel better to call her and explain things, I don't think that would hurt as long as he is clear with his feelings and sets boundaries on the relationship he wants to have with her.
  • Options
    @LivingLaVidaGinger How terrible for you and your husband.  I agree with everyone else, she probably (unfortunately) has an ulterior motive.  But, she's the mom in this situation and it's up to her to make things right IF she has truly turned her life around.  Let her make ANY effort and make amends for what she has done. If she truly has changed, she can prove it to you guys.
  • Options
    @LivingLaVidaGinger  i'm very sorry you're going through this. it's so stressful. my DH has a brother who is mentally ill and an addict, and his behavior is very similar in terms of being erratic and emotionally draining, and looking for $$$. participating in al-anon has been very helpful. one of my favorite slogans is "detach with love". i interpret that to mean that "i love you, but i can't have you in my life as long as you are active in your addiction and not seeking help and being emotionally and verbally abusive". 

i don't think there's one right answer in terms of what the relationship should look like. it depends on each person's boundaries and what makes sense in their own life. you and your DH know what's best for you and i wish you peace sorting it all out. 

welcoming our ewok 2/6/17
  • Options
    @LivingLaVidaGinger no advice other than to second what PPs have said. I'm sorry she is acting this way. It is very stressful to have someone so toxic in your life.
  • Options
    @LivingLaVidaGinger that sounds like such a difficult situation to be in. I really like the advice of @cruffino in regards to 'detach with love.' It can be such a heavy burden to carry, and you of course never want it to appear that you are the ones doing wrong or not being loving and receptive. Engaging in a phone call likely won't end up going well if she is still lying, trying to play on sympathies, and may only leave your husband more frustrated. If he feels there are things he needs to say and get off of his chest for his own closure or peace of mind, then maybe it would be easier to draft a letter or email. Then he can sit on it for a few days to read and revise, and then send, knowing that you were able to get everything out that you want to say and leave it there. But if he doesn't feel for him personally that he needs to get anything off his chest for himself, then maybe its easier to leave it where it is. He's probably played this game with her too many times to count by now :-(
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry I dropped the ball on this thread this week, guy's. @LivingLaVidaGinger I can relate very much to how your husband must be feeling. As I've mentioned before, my mom has bipolar but I dint really know how much of it to blame on her disorder. My mom does this, too. A lot. She tries to manipulate us by saying things like "I'm going to die, " or "I'm going to kill myself if you don't do this. " She goes through phases where she's fine and acts like an adult but then the very next day she'll get obsessed with something and try to manipulate you into doing it. It's one of the hardest things to deal with. But 30 years of dealing with this....still doesn't make it any easier to deal with. I feel guilty every time I have to give her tough love but luckily that's what my therapist is there for. She helps put things in perspective and constantly reminds me to take care of myself first.

• Options
    @cruffino That is so frustrating. Passive aggressive BS drives me crazy. I'm glad your H handles it well but she shouldn't put him in that position.

You should set a boundary with her that you won't listen to her complain about your SIL.
  • Options
    @Gretchypoo  you're right the passive aggressive is driving me bonkers! and i appreciate your suggestion about my SIL. i often feel like i'm her lone defender. but i think that instead of defending her, i could have a more firm boundary of "don't talk about her negatively in my presence". 

sorry about your FIL. start calling him out of his name and tell him you prefer it so what's his problem? 

• Options
    @cruffino it sounds like your DH's relationship with his mom and him saying "that's just how she is don't worry about it" has become his version of normal without him realizing it's not a normally functional relationship. I understand that completely because it's similar to my own MIL, however him telling you not to worry about it doesn't work because it's absolutely affecting you, and causing needless tension regarding your shower. I'm sorry you're dealing with this :(
  • Options
    @Gretchypoo That does sound annoying with your FIL. Just be blunt with him and tell him not to call her that and correct him when he does. My name is Elizabeth (so I totally love your choice btw ;)  )  and just based on my experience she will get called other nicknames. I've always gone by Liz or Lizzie but there are people who just insist on calling me Beth. I would correct people at first but I got over it and just respond to those people now. Idk why people can't be considerate and just call you what you'd like to be called but it's clearly a challenge for some people and just isn't worth my breath to correct them each time, just to have them call me the wrong name again in 30 minutes. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    So, when my SIL was pregnant with my nephew, her and my brother requested all the grandparents and aunts and uncles get flu shots if they wanted to be around the baby.  We all agreed no problem and have all gotten our flu shots every year since then which was 6 years ago.  My mom also makes sure we're all up to date on TDAP.

When I started dating DH 5 years ago, I made him get a flu shot too, I assumed my younger brothers did the same with their SOs.  My youngest brother was discussing getting his flu shot and I mentioned he should remind his girlfriend as well.  Which is when he informed me his girlfriend and her family don't believe in vaccinations at all and therefore she wasn't getting a flu shot and has never had her TDAP vaccine.  His girlfriend loves kids and is always holding my nieces and nephews and I assume she will want to do the same with my LO, but I'm really not comfortable with this if she's not vaccinated.  Is there a nice to tell someone "Hands Off the kid"?  Or am I stressing out over nothing?
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Gretchypoo Your FIL sounds like a huge douchebag. Her name is Betty, end of discussion. (Which is cuter btw!) That's tough to even know what to do with that, maybe have your H tell him to 
    not call her Lizzy? Not sure if he would respond better to his son? 
  • Options
    @Gretchypoo That does sound annoying with your FIL. Just be blunt with him and tell him not to call her that and correct him when he does. My name is Elizabeth (so I totally love your choice btw ;)  )  and just based on my experience she will get called other nicknames. I've always gone by Liz or Lizzie but there are people who just insist on calling me Beth. I would correct people at first but I got over it and just respond to those people now. Idk why people can't be considerate and just call you what you'd like to be called but it's clearly a challenge for some people and just isn't worth my breath to correct them each time, just to have them call me the wrong name again in 30 minutes. 
    Ha! I know people will call her different names, we loved Elizabeth bc there are so many nickname options! But, like you, I think you should just call people what they want to be called. My cousin' s name is Daniel. I called him Danny his whole life. When he was in college he decided he wanted to be called Dano. OKAY! 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @Gretchypoo that's when you get all snarky back. Every time he says Lizzie be like "whoops Grandpa! I think you forgot her name is pronounced Betty again. I know it's hard to pronounce, but you'll get there!"

In all seriousness, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Dude sounds like a real jerk with some serious control issues. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsDramaK You're not stressing out over nothing. The vaccination thing is a big deal for me. If you decide you want to protect your kid from unvaccinated folks coming into too close proximity, that is a completely reasonable decision in my books. Some people will say you can't protect your kids from everything and that if they're going to be out in the world they will get exposed to stuff, but there's a difference between going for a walk in your stroller, maybe passing an unvaccinated family, and being cuddled and kissed by someone with no vaccination against pertussis.

If you've already had the conversation with your brother about her vaccination status, then you can pass on to him that as she's not covered against pertussis, she won't be able to be be around your LO until they are covered by their own shots. Do you think he would tell her that, or would he just hope that it gets forgotten in the new baby excitement to avoid making waves?
    My little brother will likely just not say anything and hope I forget or get over it.  He's the most non-confrontational person ever and his girlfriend is the kind of person who says it's just "allergies" when she's visibly ill.  Last time we saw her, she had lost her voice and was coughing and sneezing and claimed it was "allergies" yet three days later my brother and DH were sick with the same symptoms.
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsDramaK That's a tough battle to fight, but honestly, I completely agree with @poetryandoceans. Especially with having a baby born in the winter, I wouldn't take any chances with pertussis. It's not like giving your baby the sniffles and a little congestion, it can actually kill your newborn... I would require they wait until your baby has all of their shots before visiting if they're not going to vaccinate. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if she doesn't want to personally vaccinate, then that's fine for her, but she should also respect your wishes too.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsDramaK I'm really sorry that it sounds like your brother might try and rug-sweep this; it's important and your baby's health matters. I would firmly and clearly address it with her, perhaps in a way that doesn't single her out: group email with her included (not just your brother) explaining your boundaries around vaccination and visits. So you've made it clear, and then if/when your brother calls to arrange a time to visit after LO arrives, you can calmly ask if his GF has had her shots yet. If no, then he'll have to come visit on his own. 

Honestly, especially with her disregarding her own symptoms in the past, I would feel very conflicted about having her around baby even if she were vaccinated against life-threatening illnesses - she might think her right to baby snuggles trump baby's right to not get a bad cold in the first few weeks of their life. 
  • Options
    My MIL just told us that my DH had an allergic reaction to the TDAP when he was young so he's never had it. He's plenty of tetanus shots (because he's a boy who frequently says "well it seemed like a good idea at the time"). I'm a bit nervous about him not having having the TDAP vaccine. My MIL didn't really elaborate on what the adverse reaction was. Like can he just take some Benadryl and get the vaccine? Ugh I wish she had been more specific so we could make an informed choice on him getting the vaccine.
  • Options
    @poetryandoceans @TeacherMom2517 My family is super close and we spend a lot of time together, so I'm afraid I'm going to alienate my brother if I disclude her from things because she's not vaccinated, but on the other hand I don't want to have unnecessary anxiety about her choice not to vaccinate.  I might just have my mother talk to the two of them cause they will take it more seriously coming from her verse me.
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MrsDramaK said:
    @poetryandoceans @TeacherMom2517 My family is super close and we spend a lot of time together, so I'm afraid I'm going to alienate my brother if I disclude her from things because she's not vaccinated, but on the other hand I don't want to have unnecessary anxiety about her choice not to vaccinate.  I might just have my mother talk to the two of them cause they will take it more seriously coming from her verse me.
    I don't think you're being dramatic here. It is literally life or death. If your mom is a more trusted messenger, talk to her. But you cant risk your baby' s health.
  • Options
    @poetryandoceans my mom will definitely stand up for, she'll also be good at getting more information.  I realized that since my brother's girlfriend started college in 2012 and lived in campus housing, she probably got forced to have a TDAP vaccine since I know it's a requirement for her school.  That would mean her TDAP vaccine is still good.  I might be willing to let a flu shot slide if she's got the TDAP and just not let her touch the baby if she's visibly ill and limit her time with LO regardless.  
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @TeacherMom2517 i've thought about addressing her directly, and DH and i talked about it. @yogadevil is right that this is his "normal" and he doesn't want to rock the boat. that said, he shared with me that he attempted to talk with her about this shower stuff, asking her what her concerns were, and she shut him down saying she didn't want to discuss it. soooo...

i know its not healthy communication, and i've been trying to follow DH's lead with his family. we practice a "your family, your call" philosophy. but i also think that when (not if) this sort of bullshit starts happening in relation to the baby, then it'll be time for a real talk to set boundaries.