May 2017 Moms

Daycare

I know it's still early for a lot of us, but have any of you starting looking into full time daycare? I signed up for Care.com today and the selection is overwhelming! There are a lot of 'at home' care options, but I'm leaning toward a regular facility. Anyone have experience with any of the more nationwide facilities: KinderCare, La Petite, Goddard, etc?

Re: Daycare

• We've used and love two different Bright Horizons locations.  I prefer centers. I live in a large city so I don't personally know the in-home providers.  I have friends who have horror stories at several in-home providers, including one kid (not theirs) died in the provider's care.  That's very extreme, obviously.  I personally know in-home providers back in my home state and would trust them with my kid. But I often wonder how much attention a baby gets when there are 10 other kids of varying ages running around and lunch to be prepared. That said, I have used a friend's trusted nanny for regular weekend babysitting.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • We have used Kindercare since DD was a year old and we absolutely love it.  We are moving to a different town that doesn't have a Kindercare close to us and it's my biggest regret with moving.  The teachers are amazing and the hours are fantastic.  Worth every cent.

BFP #1 12/23/12 EDD 9/3/13 DD #1 8/26/13

BFP #2  2/25/16  EDD 11/5/16 MMC 4/15/16

BFP #3  8/31/16  EDD  5/12/17 It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't comment on the centers, ours go to an established daycare that is part of a church.  But I will say it is definitely NOT to early to be discussing daycares!  Depending on where you live, some daycares have long waiting lists, so it would not be a bad idea to start researching now, taking tours, etc and to start narrowing down your top choices.
    Me: 33 / DH: 35
    Married: Nov 2006
    DD: Sept 2010
    DS: June 2013
    BFP #3 - EDD 5.13.16
  • I used Phoenix Children's Academy (which has locations in a few states although not as large as kindercare) and really liked them. I've also heard great things about Goddard School but they didn't have a location convenient to us. 

I also was an in-home nanny for two different twin families when I was in college. I highly suggest going this route if your able to! It's actually a lot more affordable than you think. Our university had a job posting site where people from outside of the university could access. I was an education major so I wanted more experience with children! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate it the input - and I am concerned about waiting lists, so I need to start calling around. It's just a little hard right now because I haven't announced at work and am already leaving for so many appointments and I know people are starting to wonder.... :)
  • It's not too early. I got on waiting list at DS's daycare the morning I found out I was pregnant.  
  • Yes, it's definitely not too early! Depending on where you live, wait lists may already be filling up. We've actually already got a spot secured for this baby at my son's daycare, but they are holding a spot that isn't opening until January for us--openings are hard to come by here!

On the center vs. home daycare, you should schedule a bunch of tours and go with whatever you like best. We ended up at something between a big center and home daycare and we're very happy! But I really think it's a personal preference that you will be able to figure out during the tours...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • To reiterate what @slam1110 said, I was on the wait list for DS's daycare for a full year.  Depending on what the market is like in your city and how selective you are, I would set a goal of having a spot on at least one daycare by the end of the first trimester.

Additionally, to answer your specific question about national centers, we LOVED the Goddard location we looked at.  We ended up choosing a different center that was a bit more convenient to our work, but I would have been very happy at Goddard.  It was very very pricey though - $1800 per month for the infant room I think.
  • I worked in a chain daycare facility throughout college, and while I loved my job, I would not send my child there- at least as an infant. Maybe it was just the facility in which I worked, but I was not impressed with the attention each child got and felt as though the staff turnover/shift work resulted in less bonding with the children. 

My son goes to a license in home daycare, and I absolutely love it. He is with children of various ages, 12 weeks-4 years. There are 2 full time workers and one part time, and my son loves each of them and they very obviously love him. That being said, it is important to find someone with whom you're comfortable to to check your state's licensing authority to discover and past violations, etc. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• We use an in-home but I knew the daycare provider before I had DS. I think the centers are dependent on the area you live in. I have not heard great things about the KinderCare around here but I have heard a couple people from other states say they really like it in their area though, and even a few above have stated they are happy with them. It really is all about  what you are comfortable with. Our current DCP didn't have an opening right away when we were ready to put DS in daycare so we took him to a local church. It was great, they loved him and he clearly loved them, but it didn't feel right to me. It was so hard explaining to DH why I wanted to pull him and put him with our current DCP but all I could put into words was that it just didn't feel right. Best decision we made, we absolutely adore our current DCP. Meeting with them and seeing their facilities will probably make the decision a lot easier than you think. That mommy intuition will kick in:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with @kayemjay2. I have even worked management in a large day care program. Some have great teachers but there is high turnover on staff and their bottom line is cutting expenses to make more money. We have done in home care and if I return to work this baby will do that.

when shopping around come with a long list of questions...ask about staff qualifications/ training, discipline policies, sick policy, everything! I recommend multiple tours and try do one unannounced. Trust your mama gut. Also look to see when their last inspection was and what violations they had. 
  • Our first is attending Goddard now, and I've got the baby pre-registered. I love it! The teachers are very attentive. At 14 months, he's getting started on puzzles and matching. They have a lesson
    plan they follow and I get pictures everyday. He hugs his teachers when he gets there in the morning, so I know he likes them. I don't know how standard this is, but our owner is on site 5 days a week. The only downside I've got is that at this age they don't provide any food. At first I really
    likes being in complete control, but as he is getting older and needing variety each day it is getting more time consuming. 

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • My daughter goes to a daycare inside one of our local high schools. I always thought they were for like teen moms or something but my husband works for the district and it is 90% teachers kids. Our facility is amazing. The teachers have all been there for years and we adore them. They have low ratios, and although they sometimes have students help, they never count towards the ratios, so it is just extra hands. Plus we get a discount since my husband works for the district. The only reason I would switch would be if her current teacher agreed to being our nanny. 
  • @amprince22 as a teacher that sounds so convienent. My old high school that I went to had this. Do you get worried about lockdown drills though? So many false drills happen at the high school in the district I teach in and it would give me a heart attack.
  • schnitz9schnitz9 member
    edited October 2016

We send our son to Primrose Academy.  BEST DECISION EVER!!!! Yes it's extremely expensive, but well worth the money.  He loves it there.  He gets 3 meals a day, learned sign language, Spanish, and yoga.  He's been there since 4 months old.  They have an amazing curriculum.  The pre-schoolers and up all wear uniforms and the school provides backpacks too.  I know I won't have to hear my son complain that his friend has something cooler! They have a chef prepare all the food organically and the meals are amazing.  I love that my sons favorite snack is hummus and roasted red pepper dip. The infant room was great.  They only have 8 infants from 6 wks to 1year and 3 teachers.  Each child has their own crib with sheets provided and their own dresser for extra clothes to be kept.  They provided us with a cooler bag to bring our bottles every morning too. The babies learn sign language and they do yoga 3 days a week.  He is now in the toddler room which is 18mo-24mo.  They have a little toilet and sink and he is learning how to use the potty and wash his hands after.  They also teach them to use utensils when they eat and push their chair in when they are done. I can't get over how polite he is when he comes home.  He always says please and thank you.  All my friends can't get over it.  If there is one in your area def check them out.  Mine had a long waiting list for infants because they give siblings priority.  I went in oct, was due in feb, and their first opening for him was june 1st. 

ETA: I looked at several Daycares.  Some served food and some didn't.  I liked the idea of the ones that did because not only do I not have to worry about packing a meal it is teaching him not be a picky eater.  He knows that he has one choice and if he doesn't eat it he doesn't eat.  It's great because now he knows at night this is whats for dinner and he eats it.  Not sure how long it will last but it works for now.  I also toured many with cameras in the room and without.  Mine has cameras in the hallways and doors, but not in the rooms.  I like it because they have an open door policy and are very honest when there is an issue.  Also I knew that if there were cameras in the room I would be too distracted during the day and constantly be watching him and didn't want that temptation.

****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @schnitz9 that sounds impressive! I love the manners and non-pickiness at mealtimes. What a great foundation for future success in those areas. (We're dealing with a stubborn/non-eater right now and it's really tough to manage, since it's so many times throughout the day, with meals, snacks, etc.) That's a great point about whether to have cameras, too. I'd be like you, constantly checking the video feed.  ;)
  • @heath313 I was nervous at first, but there has been maybe one lock down in the year she has been there. We were picky about the school we sent her to because of the neighborhood and kids that are there. 
  • schnitz9schnitz9 member
    edited October 2016
    SKZW said:
    @schnitz9 that sounds impressive! I love the manners and non-pickiness at mealtimes. What a great foundation for future success in those areas. (We're dealing with a stubborn/non-eater right now and it's really tough to manage, since it's so many times throughout the day, with meals, snacks, etc.) That's a great point about whether to have cameras, too. I'd be like you, constantly checking the video feed.  ;)

Yep! no cameras no problem is how I look at it.  I can ask questions at any times and show up too.  He and his friends are so adorable.  He has a little GF in his class.  He hugs her and kisses her goodbye every day.  She didn't want to hug him the other day and he had a complete meltdown.  We could help but laugh.  Last week they had a cultures of the world parade.  Each class represented a different country and they learned all about it for a week.  His class was Switzerland.  Our next door neighbors sent their boys there and I loved how well behaved they were so checked it out.  Fell in love as soon as I walked in.  It's great because its designed like a school not a daycare or pre-school. And the food my god it is def not your typical cafeteria food. Yesterdays menu was pumpkin bread and milk for breakfast, vegetable risotto w/ bacon, cucumber and tomato salad, and milk for lunch, and cheese and crackers with water for snack.  Today is cereal and bananas for breakfast, Caesar salad with croutons and apples for lunch,, and snack is trail mix and orange juice. Plus every Friday when the leave each kid get a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie for cookie Friday (parents get to steal one too). He gets really upset when I pick him up never wants to leave!

ETA: Also we've never called it daycare.  It's more like school.  It's always been that even when he was 4 months.  They always had a curriculum.  He's always been on a schedule.  We always call it school because that really what it is.  He learns so much its kinda crazy.  At 10months he was doing full sign language and I had to try and keep up.  Now he does the signs and says the words.  At our 18 month check-up our ped couldn't believe it.  Hope you guys don't think I'm too braggy for a FTM I was so scared about leaving him because our original plan was to have my retired in-laws watch him.  My old BMB talked me out of it immediately and I'm so happy they did.

****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• Again... amazing! I want those meals for me!
  • :'(heath313 said:
    @amprince22 as a teacher that sounds so convienent. My old high school that I went to had this. Do you get worried about lockdown drills though? So many false drills happen at the high school in the district I teach in and it would give me a heart attack.

We had one a few weeks back during the protests here in charlotte.  They informed us they were doing one and told us exactly what was happening.  They also had local Police at the school introducing themselves to the kids too.  To be honest I cried with my husband.  I was so upset that my children have to grow up in a world that this is now becoming the practice.  Not sure how old many of you are, but for me all we ever had to do was a fire drill and a fire exit for the school bus where you exited from the back.  My mom would tell me about the fall-out drills they would do during the cold war, but I never thought our world would come to that again.  I was so upset that my 19 month old has to be taught to go and hide in a special place in his room and learn color coded signs from his teacher.  For him to think that is normal is just not OK with me. But unfortunately I realized it is just something that has to be done.  That 6 year old that was killed in SC a few weeks back is only a 1 1/2 hour drive from here and it could happen anywhere.  Just sickens me
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• DD went to the Gardner School when we lived in IL and we really liked it. I can't say I'll ever "love" a daycare provider of any sort, there's always pros and cons, but we felt it was a great center and probably the best we could do for her. They have locations in several areas but unfortunately not where we are now (MA).
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am at my third daycare in a year. I brought ds to a center in seymour ct that was run and owned by the same woman. I loved it at first then 3 of his teachers left, I never knew who was taking care of him because I am an early drop off and late pick up some of his teachers I never saw. I noticed when he started purees at 6 mo (because they refused to feed him them before that) that he was getting a diaper rash every week. I asked very politely if there was anything that they could do to help him more and the response from her was incredibly rude practically blaming my son for pooping too much. They sent him home at a drop of a dime. They put other kids diapers on him just because he wasn't in his normal room as they consolidate during the summer or something and didn't bother to get his diapers. They wanted me to buy spray no rub sun screen which I was vehemently against. She already showed me that she wouldn't be flexible with the diaper rash so how could I speak up about this sunscreen? The straw that broke the camel s back was I was hospitalized on a thursday for gall bladder pain then friday I had a stone removed from my common bile duct. So my son was out from daycare thursday till the next monday. I brought him in on the first day back to work after I had to call out they call me because he "threw up" in his crib. My son has never thrown up. I said really he throws up once and you make me come get him thats policy? They said yes, then I get there and hes perfectly fine the sheet I had to sign stated multiple vomits were a reason to send them home. I was livid. He couldnt go back the next day then I was out for surgery that friday and he never went back to them. I had found a new place Kindercare of New Milford CT in a week. It was like a breath of fresh air. It was fantastic. It was convenient and awesome and the teachers were so educated and nice. The second week in they tell me they are closing that it was a corporate decision and there was nothing they could do about it. So end of august we started at a new daycare in brookfield and its very nice just it only opens at 645 instead of the 630 I really need. They feed him, do his cot laundry teach him. Hes outside so much its fantastic. 
  • My daughter goes to Goddard and we really like it.  It definitely is pricey but she actually likes going there and really learns and I feel it is well worth it.  A daycare is all about the teachers that make up that particular location though.  So don't go with one based on name alone because I'm sure there are some that are not as great.