Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on Marissa?

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new here, although I've been lurking for a bit. DH and I are TTC and REALLY hopeful that this was our month. Won't be testing for a couple of days.. We've been throwing around name ideas for a while and realized we have VERY different taste (ex. he likes Paige, I like Lila). One name we came across recently that we both really like is Marissa (comes from Maris, meaning "of the sea"). What are your thoughts on this name? Also, we both love the name Mia, but are worried that it is getting quite popular.  Do you think Mia could work as a nickname for Marissa?

Thanks in advance for any comments! :)

Re: Thoughts on Marissa?

• Options
    I love it. Maybe because it's one of my best friend's names and she's wonderful. She is often called Mar. 
  • Options
    Like it a lot. Recognizable, easy to spell/pronounce, but not trendy! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like it.  I've only known one person with this name. Uncommon yet recognized is always what I look for in names 

• Options

I love it! Different, but recognizable as PPs have said

• Options
    I love it as it's my sister's name. We call her Rissa as a nickname.
    She spells it with one "s" though but people always put two "s". So I would say definitely spell it "Marissa". 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm liking it even more after seeing others agree that it's uncommon, but still normal. Any thoughts on Mia as a nickname? I was thinking since it's typically a nickname for Maria or Amelia, Marissa could work too?
  • Options
    I feel like Mara or Mar or even Rissa or Issa is much more natural. Mia seems kinda a stretch to me.

• Options
    Marissa is a fine name, just nms. If you both like Mia and would call her Mia, then name her Mia. Mia from Marissa seems like a huge reach.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I understand that some may see it as a stretch, but I don't think it's completely out there. We're still considering Mia as a first name. Being someone who had several others with the same name in all of my classes growing up, and being a "First name, Last Initial" kid, I want to be sure my kids don't have to deal with that. I'd rather her go by her full name in cases like that and use her nickname for family and friends, instead of being Mia B. all the time.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a huge stretch. There are lots of NNs that don't make sense to me. Like Betsy coming from Elizabeth or Hank from Henry. I think Mia is close enough to Marissa and at least all the letters in it are in Marissa. However if you are set to call her Mia all the time I would personally just choose Mia.
  • Options
    babybrush said:
    I understand that some may see it as a stretch, but I don't think it's completely out there. We're still considering Mia as a first name. Being someone who had several others with the same name in all of my classes growing up, and being a "First name, Last Initial" kid, I want to be sure my kids don't have to deal with that. I'd rather her go by her full name in cases like that and use her nickname for family and friends, instead of being Mia B. all the time.
    If you don't think it's a big deal, then what does it matter what we think?

I think that Mia is not really a natural NN for Marissa but not all NNs are.  I had many friends in HS that went with random NNs that no one would have predicted based on their first name.  I think as long as you don't mind the more common NNs for Marissa (which your child may choose to go by when she's old enough) then it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    babybrush said:

I think that Mia is not really a natural NN for Marissa but not all NNs are.  I had many friends in HS that went with random NNs that no one would have predicted based on their first name.  I think as long as you don't mind the more common NNs for Marissa (which your child may choose to go by when she's old enough) then it doesn't matter.
    I didn't say I don't think it's a big deal, I said I didn't think the nickname was too much of a stretch. I asked for opinions and thoughts to help me decide... If it "didn't matter what people think" I wouldn't have posted a question asking for people's thoughts on a forum.

Thanks for your comment.
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't get Mia from Marissa, but it's not undoable. 

That said, I'd make sure you like the name Marissa, and it's other possible nn as is. You might be surprised how many people pick a name intending to use a certain nickname,  and then never do.
  • Options
    Pretty name
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• Options
    ashleyandelyashleyandely member
    edited September 2016
    I'm not a huge fan of Marissa but it's a fine name. Most Marissas I know go by Riss (as a nickname). That said, I think Mia could work as a nickname. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    babybrush said:
    babybrush said:

I didn't say I don't think it's a big deal, I said I didn't think the nickname was too much of a stretch. I asked for opinions and thoughts to help me decide... If it "didn't matter what people think" I wouldn't have posted a question asking for people's thoughts on a forum.

Thanks for your comment.
    I think you interpreted her comment to have a tone that it didn't. Chillax. 
  • Options
    I prefer Mia, but Marissa isn't a bad name just NMS. I think even though Mia has become a more popular than it used to be, you wouldn't end up in a situation where you have a few in every class. It's not that popular. I volunteer at church and two schools and have not met a single Mia lately. The only Mia I know is an adult, and her full name is Miriam. I think you're good!
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options
    I like Marissa and think Mia is a little bit of a stretch for a nickname, but I wouldn't say it would be completely unnatural. Just keep in mind that if you use Mia as a nickname and your daughter chooses to go by that, she may still end up going by "Mia B" if there are multiple Mias in the class and she doesn't want to go by Marissa because she isn't used to it. If you really love Mia and would call her that anyway as a nickname, I say go with it.
  • Options
    I know someone with the name Marissa and she's awesome so I say go for it lol. Although, I would say no middle name.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Am I the only one who instantly thinks of Marissa Cooper from The OC? :) It is a pretty name though.

I honestly wouldn't nickname it at all. Mia is a little bit of a stretch and I agree that if you mean to call her Mia, then it would be better to just name her Mia. There may not end up being any Mias in her class anyway. I've known lots of people who have always gone by something different from their given name, and most of them say it's a real PITA having to correct everyone all the time. ("Nice to meet you, John!" "Actually, I go by Jack" forever) Just something to consider.
  • Options
    Mia does seem like a stretch for marissa. If you're planning on calling her Mia, I'd just go with that! 
    I like Mia a lot more than marissa. 
    If you're looking for other M names: Mila, Maeve
  • Options
    This is my name, so obviously I love it.  I live in a major city and it wasn't super common growing up.  

Nicknames I've been called: Riss, Rissa, Issa, Mo. I don't think Mia is too much of a stretch, but if you like Mia, just name her that.
  • Options
    I prefer Mia, and only know 1 who's in her 20s. Marissa is nice too though!
  • Options
    Go with Mia. Something about Marissa rubs me the wrong way....Like it sounds whiny or something. No offense pp, I'm sure you're lovely!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments. We'll probably just choose Mia or consider completely different names.