April 2017 Moms
Options

Weight gain

Re: Weight gain

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    cafedisco said:
    All I could think was TWO POUNDS OF BOOBS!?!?!

I'm a grown up. I promise.
    That is where my mind went too! It doesn't surprise me one bit though...I have always been small chested, and these boobs (that's what I call them, because they are definitely not mine!) are out of control! I always wanted bigger boobs...but this is extreme!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I know...mine grew so quick and won't seem to stop. I'm filling out shirts. My gf went from A to D before baby...I started as a B.....I need to go see what I am
  • Options
    @MrsBakes   I am 166cms and the problem is, the extra kilos do show somehow... I look porky.  I know it's probably a lot of fluid etc, but still - this first trimester does nothing for my self esteem :smiley:

Oh well, I am sure that I feel better when the bump starts showing!!!  How are you getting on? 
    Me:  35 year old FTM, a busy city banker living in London, and a constant worrier. 
    My DH:  French guy, car fanatic, best husband ever.  
    Our baby boy:  Due on 17 April, currently 37 weeks.  I can't believe it - I made it to full term!!!! 
    Last measurement:  3150 gs at 37+1!  This is going to be a big baby :)
  • Options

@smallanimal 

I know what you mean. When I was pregnant with my first, I started off slightly underweight. Man every pound changed me LOL But you have plenty of room to gain and still be well within average weight for your height. WE do however always look at ourselves with more criticism. I'm sure you are one pretty mama :)

• Options
    I never understood the "maternal fat" need. Why?? Is it included in the boobs? Is it because your body is prepping for the possibility of a sudden food shortage? I gained 20 total last time; 6 was baby, and at least five was just good old fat that took months that get off. Thanks, body.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited September 2016

So I gained 3lbs since my 8 week appointment (3 weeks ago)....One pound per week is no bueno for me. I keep saying I'll get my act together in second trimester once I start feeling better.

ETA: A total of 8lbs since I got my BFP.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    @beemaya83 a pound a week is really a decent pace to put you in the "recommended" range! I know it's hard, but be gentle with yourself! You're growing life!
  • Options
    Yes! and thank you for the reminder. I really just need to enjoy this pregnancy since I think we will be done with having anymor kids. @herewegrow
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I got on the scale this morning and I've gained 2 more pounds... so i'm up to 10 pounds gained. in 11 weeks. I don't feel like i'm really eating much more than normal, I guess more carbs so there's that. I know my boobs have exploded so I guess that could be blamed for a pound or two... but i'm so sad and frustrated. I gained 60 pounds with my DD and I just don't want to go down that road again. 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I haven't gained any weight, but in the last week I feel like everything has really settled to my lower stomach.  DH and I are starting to notice a tiny "bump".  Although it definitely just looks more like I ate too much food.  Still on the same weight, same belt loop, jeans all fit, etc. but I feel like I've gained so much in my mid section the last few days. Ugh. I think I would feel better about it if the scale showed a gain haha
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Gained one pound so far. Hoping to keep weight gain on the lower side for this one. I gained 25-30 with my other pregnancies. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD: 6/20/11
    DS: 2/23/13
    EDD: 4/15/17 

• Options
    I've gained 9 lbs at 14 wks. I always gain .5-1 lb per week spaced out through my entire pregnancies no matter if orating mostly salads or indulging. I don't stress about it. My body knows what to do.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    Gained 10 lbs in the first tri and about 1.5-2 more the past couple of weeks. I cried about it today. I'm just worried about getting to the point where I can't get healthy again after the baby. My mom's big and I worry about getting unhealthy. I already love carbs and sugar. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I'm a week into the second trimester and I'm still five pounds less than when I got my bfp. I know it's the result of nausea but I'm still afraid I'm not getting enough to eat for baby. I plan to ask my doc about it at my next appointment. Of course, I may make up for it later and gain a lot of weight so there's probably nothing to worry about. I just feel I should have gained something by week 14. But I also know baby is fine because I listened to the heartbeat this weekend. I guess once I get my appetite back I'll want to eat again and start packing it on. 
  • Options
    HGRich said:
    I'm a week into the second trimester and I'm still five pounds less than when I got my bfp. I know it's the result of nausea but I'm still afraid I'm not getting enough to eat for baby. I plan to ask my doc about it at my next appointment. Of course, I may make up for it later and gain a lot of weight so there's probably nothing to worry about. I just feel I should have gained something by week 14. But I also know baby is fine because I listened to the heartbeat this weekend. I guess once I get my appetite back I'll want to eat again and start packing it on. 
    If it helps any, I was worried at my first appointment about the fact that I was only eating junk at the time due to nausea.  I have somehow still gained weight, unlike you.  But my midwife assured me that until around week 16, baby sort of feeds off the stores you already have in your body, so we get a little bit of wiggle room for our own nutrition for a while. Your body will always take care of baby first, so I'm sure your LO is growing just fine and you'll be able to gain weight later.  With DD I stopped gaining any weight for over a month in the 2nd tri and I just stopped weighing myself because it wasn't worth the stress. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    @cafedisco thank you. That's reassuring. I don't weigh myself often and I don't suppose I'll increase it. I'll just eat what I can and hope the nausea goes away soon for good. 

Also I just caught the reference in your username. I can't believe it took me that long.  :D
  • Options
    kockatookockatoo member
    edited October 2016
    I am at 15 weeks and probably up 7lbs, I'm not TOO worried about it though, I went from eating super clean and working out consistently before I was pregnant too eating whatever my body would tolerate and no exercise.Within the past week I am finally starting to feel normal and back to exercise and eating better. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    blessedinmtblessedinmt member
    edited October 2016
    At my 16 week appointment yesterday I learned that I'm up 4 pounds thus far.  I'm not weighing myself and am not really concerned with it. I just want a healthy baby. Last fall (my first pregnancy), I was stressed about gaining only the recommended amount of weight, but then my thyroid got out of control (causing weight gain) and I lost my daughter shortly after. I got pregnant three cycles in a row,  and had three chemical losses,  before this pregnancy.  My last period before this pregnancy was the start of a miscarriage.  Did I gain weight through all of that?  Oh yeah.  I'm up about 24 pounds since my very first BFP. Oh well. To say I've been a bit depressed is an understatement.

I'm editing this because I realize I'm being moody and emotional.  I'm sorry. This is a sore subject for me.  I'm a runner (just ran a half marathon in July in the middle of all off this,  actually), I gave up hot yoga, I was eating paleo before my pregnancy journey. I hate that I'm overweight now,  but I have to tell myself I don't care because it's just one more thing that I don't really have control over in this pregnancy. 
  • Options
    @thecavfamily I'm sorry that you have faced so many losses. Praying that this one continues to go smoothly. I know that weight gain can be a hard realization to handle. First priority, get these babies out healthy. Second priority, loss the weight. I'm sure you will be able to do it once the baby is here because you seemed incredibly disciplined beforehand. Hugs going out to you.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Options
    13w and gained 12 lbs, hopefully it is mostly bloat. I don't eat toooo unhealthy but I am starved all the time. Whoever said you only need 340 extra calories a day apparently has never studied me pregnant. My stomach rumbles within an hour after eating and the healthier the snack the sooner it's gone. I gained about 60 lbs with my DS but that was 9years ago. 
  • Options
    I'm up 5lbs total at 16w and I'm thrilled. With my first I put on about 15lbs in the first tri and 65lbs total for the pregnancy.  I'm very overweight and I'd prefer not to gain that much again. But I refuse to stress about it. I'm growing a life, one that is very important and my top priority. I'm eating as healthy as I can without blowing chunks constantly. But if I have an overwhelming craving I give into it, no biggie. Most of mine have been oddly healthy things like Honeycrisp apples and bananas but I wanted a funnel cake and you bet you ass I killed it like a champ. I'll worry about losing the baby weight later. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I am up about 9 lbs at 16 weeks, which seems like way too much given what I am eating. I know I have been eating way more carbs that I should because that is all that was appealing to me for the longest time (just now starting to reintroduce vegetables and some meat back into my life) but still...I have not been eating enough calories to gain 9 lbs of fat. So I am hoping it's water weight/fluid. The only reassuring thing is that it seems the only change in how my clothes fit is in my stomach, whereas prior to being pregnant I never gained weight in my stomach - mainly in my thighs/butt/hips - so it is reassuring me that it's probably pregnancy related and not just eating way too much. Just hoping I don't get lectured at my next doctors appointment in a few days...I started out at the higher end of a normal BMI for my height so I am probably supposed to only gain 25 lbs throughout this pregnancy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I lost 4-5lbs in the beginning from lack of appetite and have since gained that back, but nothing else, so I am almost 16 weeks and back at pre-pregnancy weight. I have not been too concerned with gaining weight, although I have tried really hard to keep active (running/Jazzercise) and not over-indulge too much with my eating. My mom gained almost 60lbs with my brother and I and I am hoping to keep within the recommended range 25-35lbs.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @thecavfamily you've been through a tough journey and I can only imagine that not having your body makes it even harder. Lots of love going to you.

A few people mentioned so now I'm curious, are your boobs already growing?

I ask because I had major supply issues before, was eventually diagnosed with IGT. My chest didn't really grow at all with DD, just got a bit fuller but bras still fit and from all my reading, that's a major factor with supply as well.  So far, no changes this time either. I keep giving them the old pep talk every day so I'm hoping there's still time for my girls!
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    @cafedisco I wonder if I had the same issue with DS. My boobs didn't really grow, just became fuller. And I never felt as if though DS was getting enough to drink/eat. But never had anything confirmed/diagnosed. Now my boobs definitely have already gotten fuller, so I'm hoping they will get bigger as well since We still have months to go. At this point with DS, boobs were exactly the same...
  • Options
    I am up a good cup size and probably could go one more depending on bra type at 16 weeks. I feel much fuller and bigger early on this time than I did with DS so I am wondering if it is a "been pregnant before" thing or if it will mean that I will produce more/better. I am hoping the latter because I really struggled with supply with DS and hope this time isn't so stressful.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cafedisco @kristinH88 I have already noticed a visible different in size and fullness at 14 weeks. i'm up more than a cup size. The same thing happened with DD, the boobs were the first to explode during pregnancy for me.

maybe you can talk with some lactation consultants and see if they have any suggestions for supplements and things to help with supply at the end of your pregnancy and getting started breastfeeding. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm in the not checking, not worrying about it camp unless dr says something. Think I gained 20-22 last time, probably will be a little more this time. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've actually lost 9 pounds and am 12 weeks, with my first child I really didn't gain any weight until I was 6 months. 
  • Options
    I'm going to resurrect this post.

I went to the OB yesterday and at 16 weeks I've gained 18 pounds. I'm just so frustrated, I know I'm not eating the greatest... but it's definitely not that bad! I am feeling a bit hopeless right now. I don't understand why with each pregnancy I balloon up like I'm ready for the Macy's day parade  :s end of rant

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I weighed myself yesterday and have gained 10 lbs in 20 weeks. That feels a little high for me, considering I started at the top end of healthy weight. I think I'm going to try to make a concerted effort to eat healthier when I get back from my weekend away, because I haven't been trying very hard so far...
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    @BeachMommy2B, thanks for resurrecting this!  At my 14 week appt, I was up 20 lbs already.  I asked the midwife not to lecture me.  LOL.  I'm a dietitian so when I'm not pregnant I maintain a healthy weight, eat good, exercise a couple of days a week.  My first trimester, I just wanted comfort carbs.  I'm still dealing with nausea, but am finally craving and able to eat more protein foods (i.e., meat).  I check my weight at home now once or twice a week and have only gained 1 lb in the last two weeks.

Anyways, what my novel is trying to say is hang in there, mama.  I'm the same way with my pregnancies and have finally accepted that's the way it is for me.  Besides, I figure it's more important for me to show my kids how to be healthy in the long run and I do that outside of pregnancy!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17
  • Options
    I'm only up about 4-5 lbs, but I started out still a little overweight from DD3 (still breastfeeding her and it's messing with my bodyweight/appetite still).  I gained 60 with DD1 (got up to 175lbs), 60 with DD2 (got up to 200lbs), lost a bunch, gained some, got up to 175lbs with DD3 and started this pregnancy at 150ish.  My "in-shape" weight is 120-125 (I'm 5'3"), but that's running 15 miles a week and lifting weights 4x a week, which I'm obviously not doing right now.  My "goal" though is to stay under 160 until new years, because I'm eating like garbage and literally not moving my body more than is necessary.  Need to start being a little more active and eating less crap foods (but I *really* don't want to...)
    Daisypath - z1at
    Baby 1 - November 2009
    *loss* - March 2010
    Baby 2 - January 2011
    Baby 3 - June 2015
    Baby 4 - April 2017
    Baby 5 - May 2019

• Options
    I'm only up about 4-5 lbs, but I started out still a little overweight from DD3 (still breastfeeding her and it's messing with my bodyweight/appetite still).  I gained 60 with DD1 (got up to 175lbs), 60 with DD2 (got up to 200lbs), lost a bunch, gained some, got up to 175lbs with DD3 and started this pregnancy at 150ish.  My "in-shape" weight is 120-125 (I'm 5'3"), but that's running 15 miles a week and lifting weights 4x a week, which I'm obviously not doing right now.  My "goal" though is to stay under 160 until new years, because I'm eating like garbage and literally not moving my body more than is necessary.  Need to start being a little more active and eating less crap foods (but I *really* don't want to...)
    100% with you. What is exercise? I'm not sure I remember....
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    Ugh I just weighed myself and I'm up 18 now. At about 20 weeks. This is so frustrating because I'm definitely not eating that much and honestly I don't even feel like I look 18 lbs heavier. It's like my body is just holding onto every calorie I consume. Does the weight gain typically ramp up during the second half of pregnancy, or stay the same pace? I feel like if I can keep the whole pregnancy under 40 lbs I'll be OK. Not ideal but that's my revised goal at this point. 25 is not happening!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kitkat8387 typically the majority of weight gain happens in the last couple months of pregnancy.  :# 

Everyone is different during pregnancy. Some bodies just hold onto all that weight and others don't. With my first, I only gained 17 lbs and DS was almost 7 of that 17 lbs. With this one, I'm still 1 lb down at 16 weeks.
  • Options
    I'm up about 8 ish pounds at almost 18 weeks with my twins, I didn't gain much with my son though and I was barely eating for the first 14 weeks. OB and midwife told me the average is 5 -10 pounds in the first trimester, but obviously that varies greatly lol.