October 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 9/12

Re: Weekly Randoms 9/12

• Options
    Kaytee1087Kaytee1087 member
    edited September 2016
    @MrsHudson2014 We're in the same boat, DH is pretty much the stay at home parent. He works part time/flex hours for his dad's telecom install business. He's got some health problems that prevent him from working a regular 8-5 job, but we save money on child care and I've got a parent at home for my kid (soon to be kids!) which I like a lot better than day care or nannying or anything. I mean it'd be great if he could work full time, but we are where we are and I try to see the perks of it.

@maf9866 My cousin has custody of her step-daughter's son and he calls her husband Grumpy, too! (Or sometimes it's Gumpy lol)

On the subject of grandparent names, my mom took on Gaga and so the rest of the grandmas are Gaga too, except MIL because she was Nana to other grandkids before we came along.

Our friends' kids call his dad Dude, after the Big Lebowski lol.

@MorganL925 I dream about him, but things like trying to get him home so I can feed him and ridiculous things stopping us from getting there, or not having any clothes to dress him in, stuff like that.
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh now I can provide more context. I was given the option to work from home as needed starting last week. Just yesterday, my boss told me to go ahead and the week before I am due, work completely from home just to make things comfortable. So while at the doctor, I made my doctor appointments all in the morning, got my schedule worked out, and felt comfortable knowing I only had next week to report in. I get a text last night from my manager saying they want me to turn in my laptop before I go on maternity leave. I was like ok, well as we all know babies are unpredictable but I will do my best. He goes "no like tomorrow" :| So apparently there is a new manager starting and they will be giving her my laptop. Then in 6 weeks from when I have my baby, they will have to order a new laptop for me to return to work from home with my last 6 weeks of leave. Why not just order the laptop for the new manager and be done with it? And this is all coming from  bosses in California, to which my boss in Houston is relaying the message. But I'm sure he's messing up information I've told him to them, and vice versa. So I have no clue when I am to return this laptop to them, today? tomorrow? before my due date (which is unpredictable) Like what? Oh and my boss is being real mature and hasn't spoken to me today. I'm just frustrated that I went from having 6 days in the office, to possibly 15 days in the office. 
  • Options
    Well that's just shitty and bullshit @mizzkbrat. Sheesh!! Sorry you have to deal with that!  :/
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• Options
    @Kaytee1087 that is too funny! It must be a great 'not quite sure how to handle this' name. Haha
  • Options
    That's so inefficient of them @mizzkbrat and makes me ragey for you, because that doesn't even make sense!  I agree, why not just purchase a new laptop for the new manager NOW?  Why wait 6 weeks?  Makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    Question for the wine drinkers out there:

If you were going to buy someone a bottle of wine as a gift with zero prior knowledge of their preference, what kind would you get them? 

I'm not a big drinker, at all (too many calories and too expensive haha), so I have no clue what a good gift wine would be. If I drink wine, I opt for pinot grigio or a sweet red, but I have no idea if those are "popular," so I didn't want to assume she'd like them just because I do. TIA! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was just thinking the same thing @MRSCORKER!!!  But you know, we are at the finish line!!!!  Just weeks left before we can have wine again!
  • Options
    ooooh @NoraAurora, I had Club W for a few months before we canceled it!  I'm excited for you. :)  I loved coming home to their deliveries. :)  

On a wine note, I had this super incredibly picky wine friend (had, because she's no longer my friend).  We all went over to dinner at her place for girls' night, and our new-ish friend (who didn't know any of us very well yet) brought a bottle of Apothic Red.  She welcomes her at the door and is like "OMG why did you bring this?  disgusting!  were not opening that dear".  

Me, i'll drink anything.  except maybe two buck chuck.  

• Options
    I would say a red blend..my favorite $10 a bottle go to is Apothic. OMG so yum... 

In discussions with my boss over #thegreatlaptopdebate he just said to me "well can't you go on leave a few days early to make sure you dont go into labor here?" 

• Options
    @CopperBoom86 If I don't know I usually stick to reds....Pinot noir or cab. 

@NoraAurora We just cancelled our Club W! It was fun but without me drinking, we had collected a TON of wine. And we were looking for ways to save money so that took the hit. Good thing we have plenty stashed  ;)
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited September 2016
    mizzkbrat said:
    I would say a red blend..my favorite $10 a bottle go to is Apothic. OMG so yum... 

In discussions with my boss over #thegreatlaptopdebate he just said to me "well can't you go on leave a few days early to make sure you dont go into labor here?" 

My response would be "Sure, if you're willing to give me those days for free and not take them out of my maternity leave that I need to take care of my newborn!"

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    @annabenanna - I like Apothic...and will totally drink $2 chuck. Although it's more out here.
    Me: 31
    DH: 32

Married: Sep 2012
    TTC #1: Jan 2015
    Baby A (via IUI due to MFI): Sep 2016 born at 35+6

Surprise but very welcome + on 5/16/2019, EDD 1/25/2020
  • Options
    That's really sweet @CopperBoom86
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Options
    So I have a house full of people with colds. What feel-good food should I make for dinner? We did chicken noodle soup last night, what are some of your go-to meals for sick days?
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid, when I'm sick I make DH make me matzah ball soup. We are a half Jewish household after all, and that stuff is delish! 

Also I find chicken pot pie very comforting. 

@MorganL925, I'd drink it too, except the headache
    hangovers it gives me is not worth the savings! 
  • Options
    @annabenanna I will have to look this up and see what I can work with! Is it spicy? We all love spicy and that would probably help our sinuses greatly if so haha
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid when I'm sick and want something a little spicy for my sinuses my go-to's are Pozole or a thai soup with ginger, chili and lemongrass. 

These are the recipes I base mine off of, but I always add a little of this and that to taste. 

https://www.food.com/recipe/authentic-mexican-pozole-196233

https://allrecipes.com/recipe/219936/spicy-chicken-thai-soup/

Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid, nope not spicy at all! it's like a clear broth.  HOWEVER, if you like spicy broths and soupy things, I have this curry noodle soup we like to make and it's sure to clear your sinuses! lol.  it is Thai-inspired though, so there's curry in it + other spices.  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012383-coconut-curry-chicken-noodle-soup (i never have ALL the things in this recipe, so I just omit the ones I don't have and substitute if I can, or I don't sub at all!)
  • Options
    @CopperBoom86  Personally I prefer white wine, I can't wait to have a glass of riesling!  Usually when I buy wine for a gift, I honestly just look for ones with the cute/funny labels.  If it's meant as more of a self-care gift I think finding one with a fun label you like might be a good route to take!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    @PCOSbaby - I just feel so bad for her. I've had quite possibly the easiest pregnancy ever and she's struggling so much. I just want to help her, but I don't really know how. I'm like a real life Sheldon Cooper... 

The least I can do is buy that bitch some wine... 

LMAO! That cat gif seriously made me lol
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Options
    @AllyTheKid I meant to comment earlier suggesting grilled cheese! I even actually made DH buy sliced cheese while he was at the store because I started craving one yet forgot to respond to your post haha oh well. Another win for pregnancy brain.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a grilled cheese for lunch and now I want another one. Yummmm enjoy! @AllyTheKid
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020