February 2017 Moms

Teacher talk

Re: Teacher talk

• Don't forget! Lots of new graduates will be fresh out of college in December and eager and looking for work. If they didn't have someone in mind for me already, I was planning on reaching out to the local colleges and asking for some good candidates in my field. 
  • Saw this article today and thought yall would appreciate it!  Hang in there in these last few weeks before the holidays, yall!  It'll be easier when we get back!  ...right?
  • Loading the player...
  • Saw this article today and thought yall would appreciate it!  Hang in there in these last few weeks before the holidays, yall!  It'll be easier when we get back!  ...right?
    Yes! I have a teacher who thinks our job is pretty easy and doesn't work very hard. He is entirely mediocre. This is not a coincidence. 
  • Hope you are all surviving this week! Tomorrow is our last day with kids. 
  • We have today and a half day tomorrow. But the end is near!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a day and a half left too. And today is off to a bad start and it's way too early to feel this cranky (angry face emoji)
  • Bright side: PTA is feeding us pies at lunch!
  • The one good thing starting school so early, we start early August, getting the whole week off for Thanksgiving. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I am officially on Thanksgiving break.  When I go back on Monday, there's only 3 weeks left until the holiday break.  Then after that, I only go back for up to 7 weeks!  I should probably start planning...
  • Anyone else waited to the last min to grade? Yep I am grading everything right now even though I had a week to grade it. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I didn't have a week off, but I am currently feeling the pain of procrastinating on my marking. I have been having some irritable uterus symptoms lately, so been using that as an excuse to put my feet up when not at school. I woke up this morning and looked at my marking and realized I could procrastinate no longer. Not if I want to go on leave with all my marking done...

At least my little ducks are showing signs of progress. Marking is so much more depressing when you feel like you're hitting your head on a brick wall.
  • I have today off too!  B) and I will be doing absolutely nothing productive at all. 
  • I'm planning an all-day PD and my keynote person just cancelled. I basically have to start over now and I'm already so busy.  Wah!  :'(
  • MommaBean said:
    I'm planning an all-day PD and my keynote person just cancelled. I basically have to start over now and I'm already so busy.  Wah!  :'(
    Aw no!! I'm sorry :( how much time do you have to figure it out??
  • MommaBean said:
    I'm planning an all-day PD and my keynote person just cancelled. I basically have to start over now and I'm already so busy.  Wah!  :'(
    About a week. And I've had a teacher out all week who lets me know each morning moments before he's supposed to arrive. So glad tomorrow is Friday... 
  • MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    About a week. And I've had a teacher out all week who lets me know each morning moments before he's supposed to arrive. So glad tomorrow is Friday... 
    jeans day! Best day of the week! 
  • MommaBean said:
    MommaBean said:
    OMG.  Not cool.  We have to let the school know at least 90 minutes before we're due to arrive.  Even that's not nearly enough time.
  • I'm having soooo many braxton hicks today. I'm supposed to go home when they are this frequent but I CAN'T leave today because I need to give tests. I just called my midwife to see if they can send over a letter saying I can't do lunch duty. Walking around for 30 minutes continuously would guarantee I'd have to go home!
  • edited December 2016
    Getting out of lunch duty was such a boon for me, I hope they can make it happen for you ASAP @Starfish113. I don't know if I'd still be teaching if I hadn't tapped out of lunch duty a month ago. 
  • @poetryandoceans whaaaat! Why are you going out so soon, if I may ask?
  • @poetryandoceans oh wow that's so soon!  I'm scheduled to be here for another 9 weeks - 11 including winter break.  I am nottttt ready to leave my kids yet!  
  • @NiceyMeany @MommaBean I'm your transplant from January ;) I'm due Jan 12, and I have a family history of going a bit early, so I'm not coming back after Winter Break (Dec 15-Jan 5). It's highly likely I'd get about 2 days in and then have to go off, and I figured I'd rather have a week or two in Jan where I'm twiddling my thumbs than have my water break all over my transition time. 
  • @poetryandoceans your winter break is so long! We get Dec 24-Jan 2 :(
  • Ohhhh nice I am SO JEALOUS!!!!
  • @MommaBean I teach at a school with a large boarding community; we get long breaks so that kids can actually go home and visit their families. Doesn't mean reduced instructional time, though; our days start 40 minutes earlier than other classes in the area and go 25 minutes later. It's a bit of a trade-off....
  • @poetryandoceans well that works out perfectly for you :) How long are you taking? My leave will run into spring break which is nice bc it means an extra week off paid!
  • @MommaBean Let me preface this by saying I'm Canadian, so when I say I'm out for the rest of the year, it doesn't sound so insane... I'm planning on picking up new classes in September because I don't want to have to do this transition in reverse come next winter; I think it's easier to start the year with them. 
  • @poetryandoceans oh shoot sorry, I can't believe I confused that.  Blame my baby for making me so stupid.
  • @poetryandoceans so jealous! Yay!!! Our break isn't until the 21st and then I have to be back for all of January :(
  • Yeah I'm so jealous too! My maternity leave won't begin until February 17th, which is when our vacation begins.
  • Me too @Starfish113, but I keep having this feeling that I'm going to go out earlier than that...
  • Two former (HS) students in two days asked me, "you're pregnant AGAIN?" Child, you were in 3rd grade last time I was pregnant. Wtf are you talking about? :D  
  • @MommaBean wait, did they even know you when you were pregnant before? What an odd comment. Do you share a campus with a junior school? Most of my HS students can't conceptualize of events they didn't personally see, so I find it so odd that they would say that...

I am over here PRAYING for a snow day tomorrow. My cover teacher has proved to be this amazing and lovely woman who is so committed to the idea that "Your leave is your leave. We've gone over your marking systems, anything that comes in after you go is NOT your responsibility to mark." So if we have a snow day tomorrow, it's really going to reduce my workload over the next few days. Snow day on a Friday? Could the weather gods be so kind? I'm in a city that shuts. down. when it snows, so as long as we get a few inches of white stuff, I may be looking at a day marking in my jammies in front of my tree...
  • @poetryandoceans no!! School is 9th-12th and my son was at least 4 when I taught them. I have no idea what makes them think I was recently pregnant. All teachers look alike and they've got me confused?

I would loooove a snow day but we don't usually get any until January. Fingers crossed for you!
  • Update: we did not get a snow day. Our weather forecast wildly over-promised. We had maybe an inch of snow. *sad trombone*
  • We're supposed to have a winter mix Sunday night!!!
  • We're supposed to have a winter mix Sunday night!!!
    Us too!
  • My extremely dramatic student who told me the other day that she "might be pregnant" (despite her period not being due until Christmas Day... wut) announced this morning that she was experiencing her "first wave of nausea."