February 2017 Moms

Teacher talk

Everyone is welcome, of course, (teachers are inclusive!) but here's a thread for shoptalk so we don't bore the masses. 

Re: Teacher talk

• We have a "non-instructional day" today which for me =~5.5 hours of meetings. Most of which aren't really relevant. Fml. (Except for the one I planned; that meeting is gonna kick ass.)
  • Oh man. I loved non-instructional days for my first few years teaching. Now I would prefer to be in the classroom than in those interminable meetings. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I love them when the time is mine for planning/collaborating/grading. Meetings suck. 
  • As I think I've mentioned before, my admin never met a meeting it didn't like. It's really rare that we get a non-instructional day to take care of stuff. Oh, but we will have a non-instructional day where we all learn cooking skills. For team building. 

I don't care this year, because I only have a .6, so it's possible for me to stay on top of stuff. But when I was FT, the bizarre uses of non-instructional days used to drive me batty. 
  • I'm struggling. I'm still super tired so being on my feet all day is a STRUGGLE! I mean, I say this as my AP class is doing a worksheet and I'm bumping... but the struggle is real ;)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm jealous of all you teachers.  

• I admire you guys! It must be so difficult to do what y'all do and be dealing with all the pregnancy symptoms!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Starfish113 Oooh, I'm jealous of your AP class - what subject area do you work with? At our school AP classes are the most sought after, and I'm currently the newb in the department. I won't get any of that sweet sweet AP action for years...
  • MommaBeanMommaBean member
    edited September 2016
    I admire you guys! It must be so difficult to do what y'all do and be dealing with all the pregnancy symptoms!
    It was such a lucky break to be off most of 1st tri!! 

@poetryandoceans I'm so sorry for your sitch. You said you're pretty new to that school? I hope the admin doesn't last long because it sounds like they're going to make everyone miserable. 
  • @MommaBean I'm relatively new, plus I took a year off to go get my masters, so I'm at the bottom of the food chain. I'm really curious to see what the school looks like in 5 years. It's going through some transformations, and I'm not sure if they're the kind of transformations that will stick. I can say that if they do, they're going to see some significant staffing changes based on the water cooler talk. 

But for every disgruntled person, there's someone who's loving the new regime, so who knows. 
  • @Starfish113 Oooh, I'm jealous of your AP class - what subject area do you work with? At our school AP classes are the most sought after, and I'm currently the newb in the department. I won't get any of that sweet sweet AP action for years...
    I teach AP Chemistry. It really is a great class. I love them and they're so motivated! My biggest struggle this fall will be finding a long term sub that will do a good job with them! At least I will get them almost to March so it's just 2 months until the AP exam.
  • AfKash said:
    I'm jealous of all you teachers.  
    Why?
  • fourPsinapodfourPsinapod member
    edited September 2016
    AfKash said:
    Why?
    Right?! I just got home.. It's almost 6. I stay there until 5:30 or later every day. Plus all the daily things I need to accomplish.. I am very drained right now! 

ETA: I love my job and there is nothing else I see myself doing, but it's no easy task! 
  • I can't remember if I told you guys that I was promoted to head of my department over the summer.  It's a big honor, and I'm really happy to do it, but it turns out that the beginning of the year is so much more of a shit storm than usual when you're head of the department.  We've already had two major personnel issues in my department this week: a new hire quit on Friday, and a different new hire had big drama and threw a hissy fit over some issues with her co-teacher on Sunday.  So I feel like I was working all weekend, and I'm still having a really hard time catching up.

This is kind of a dear diary... I don't have anything really productive to say.  But I'm pretty stressed about everything and I kinda just like... want to hang out with my students and not worry about any of the grownup drama.  Is that too much to ask?
  • @Starfish113 Oh I didn't even think about mat leave timing for an AP class! Maybe I shouldn't be envious of your AP class, at least for this year. Was it you that I was talking to about this earlier? I'm fortunate to be in an area where good teachers are a dime a dozen (I guess...) so I don't have to worry about the quality of the teacher who is going to be coming in to cover me. That's such an added stress :S

@AfKash Are you jealous because it's a career that you've always considered trying? There are lots of really great options for transitioning into a teaching career if it is something you've always wanted to do. It can be incredibly rewarding work. However, if you're jealous because of what you perceive as the perks of the hours, let me assure you that those "perks" are more than offset in a lot of different ways by difficulties. 
  • I can't remember if I told you guys that I was promoted to head of my department over the summer.  It's a big honor, and I'm really happy to do it, but it turns out that the beginning of the year is so much more of a shit storm than usual when you're head of the department.  We've already had two major personnel issues in my department this week: a new hire quit on Friday, and a different new hire had big drama and threw a hissy fit over some issues with her co-teacher on Sunday.  So I feel like I was working all weekend, and I'm still having a really hard time catching up.

This is kind of a dear diary... I don't have anything really productive to say.  But I'm pretty stressed about everything and I kinda just like... want to hang out with my students and not worry about any of the grownup drama.  Is that too much to ask?
    For a dept head? Yeah, pretty much lol. I'm in year 2 as one and, while I know what that looks like varies greatly from district to district, I will say that this year is SO much easier. The beginning was/is still stressful and chaotic and frustrating, but last year I came home and cried (just once! Don't tell anyone I work with!) and this year I wasn't ruffled.  I still want to tell people to leave me tf alone and handle shit themselves sometimes, but it's still just so much better. 

That is to say: hang in there, @NiceyMeany.
  • We have had a new department head every year for the last 5 years, lol. Before that it was a guy who did it until retirement. It's known as the worst job in the school, so no one wants it. It is a new hire every year. So the poor person has to learn the school, the kids, AND deal with all the stuff that goes along with being a department head. Nightmare! But this is specific to our school and if some things change, so will the position. 
  • MommaBean said:
    AfKash said:
    Why?
    Right?! I just got home.. It's almost 6. I stay there until 5:30 or later every day. Plus all the daily things I need to accomplish.. I am very drained right now! 

ETA: I love my job and there is nothing else I see myself doing, but it's no easy task! 
    It must be because our jobs are so meaningful and rewarding, despite the countless unpaid hours we put in.  o:)
    That's totally it.
  • Are any of you guys still dealing with morning sickness? I am not supposed to eat in my classroom, but if I don't snack all day long I am sooooo nauseous, so I'm sneaking it!
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited September 2016
    So my latest rant, I now have to scan and email all of this student's work to his parents..... He has an A in my class. Also his parents can check online to find out what grade he received on any assignment. Why did my principle approve this?! She told me it could be worse they wanted all of our lesson plans from all of his teachers too?! I wish she just told them hell no to all of this. So I spent 20 mins trying to get the scanner to scan and then email one piece of graded work for this one student.... instead of doing anything actually useful. I am trying to not take out my rage on this poor kid, he is a good student, but bah.... I hate his parents right now. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Are any of you guys still dealing with morning sickness? I am not supposed to eat in my classroom, but if I don't snack all day long I am sooooo nauseous, so I'm sneaking it!
    Bring in a Dr notes, they cannot deny you food then. That is ridiculous though they will not let you eat in the classroom. I eat all the time. I even have my own fridge and microwave. 

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • So my latest rant, I now have to scan and email all of this student's work to his parents..... He has an A in my class. Also his parents can check online to find out what grade he received on any assignment. Why did my principle approve this?! She told me it could be worse they wanted all of our lesson plans from all of his teachers too?! I wish she just told them hell no to all of this. So I spent 20 mins trying to get the scanner to scan and then email one piece of graded work for this one student.... instead of doing anything actually useful. I am trying to not take out my rage on this poor kid, he is a good student, but bah.... I hate his parents right now. 
    Omg. Can't he just take the graded work home to them?? 
  • MommaBean said:
    So my latest rant, I now have to scan and email all of this student's work to his parents..... He has an A in my class. Also his parents can check online to find out what grade he received on any assignment. Why did my principle approve this?! She told me it could be worse they wanted all of our lesson plans from all of his teachers too?! I wish she just told them hell no to all of this. So I spent 20 mins trying to get the scanner to scan and then email one piece of graded work for this one student.... instead of doing anything actually useful. I am trying to not take out my rage on this poor kid, he is a good student, but bah.... I hate his parents right now. 
    That is what we have been doing but that was not good enough because he would forget his work sometimes.... ohh and we already have to sign his planner on what he did in class today and his hw. 

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • MommaBean said:
    @skiingstark what grade?
    8th grade....

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • @skiingstark :o Soooo... their solution is to have the kid take *less* accountability? Is this kid on an IEP?
    Bring in a Dr notes, they cannot deny you food then. That is ridiculous though they will not let you eat in the classroom. I eat all the time. I even have my own fridge and microwave. 
    I'm a chemistry teacher and my classroom is a lab. So it's actually against OSHA and EPA regulations to eat in my room. But I do it anyway and so far no one has seen me or said anything!

• MommaBean said:
    That is what we have been doing but that was not good enough because he would forget his work sometimes.... ohh and we already have to sign his planner on what he did in class today and his hw. 

That's insane! So they don't ever plan to teach him accountability??
  • I teach the 18m-21m old class at MDO...    

We are going to attempt an art project today. I hope I can get most of the paint on the paper on not on myself and the kids! 

PLEASE SEND ME WINE!! oh wait, I can't drink... I will take Cheese instead. 

• @skiingstark :o Soooo... their solution is to have the kid take *less* accountability? Is this kid on an IEP?
    No he is not on IEP. But they are demanding we get him started on a RIT plan.... because you know he is not perfect, he is just an average middle school boy, instead of being ahead of everyone like he should be....

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • It took me 90 min to get to work today instead of the usual 40  :s I had my security guard BFF cover my ass and he had a great time reading Shel Silverstein to my class and taught them about library cards! 
  • MommaBean said:
    It took me 90 min to get to work today instead of the usual 40  :s I had my security guard BFF cover my ass and he had a great time reading Shel Silverstein to my class and taught them about library cards! 
    Oh noooo!! Awesome that you had someone to cover for you though :)
    No he is not on IEP. But they are demanding we get him started on a RIT plan.... because you know he is not perfect, he is just an average middle school boy, instead of being ahead of everyone like he should be....
    Ugh. You have my sympathies. I love the kids, best part of the job, but they come with the parents... 
  • I just finished my second week back for the new school year.  I teach 2nd grade. I am so drained from leaving for work at 5:30, literally running around all day, trying to tackle the endless to do list and problems at school, then coming home to take care of my own kids and house. I've barely had time to go to the bathroom. I'm counting down the days until leave!! Godspeed to all of you!

• I just finished my second week back for the new school year.  I teach 2nd grade. I am so drained from leaving for work at 5:30, literally running around all day, trying to tackle the endless to do list and problems at school, then coming home to take care of my own kids and house. I've barely had time to go to the bathroom. I'm counting down the days until leave!! Godspeed to all of you!
    I'm counting down the days too. February 25th can't come soon enough!! Are you going back at the end of the year? According to your ticker we're due the same time. My FMLA ends May 22nd so I'm taking Childcare Leave to carry me until June!
  • @Starfish113 I'm out from Jan 27 until the end of the year- and we are in school through the end of June. So I will actually return in September. FMLA should be 12 weeks, PLUS however many weeks your district gives you for maternity leave. For example, my district gives 6 weeks for a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for a c section. This is considered a medical leave. Then once those weeks are used up, you are entitled to use however many weeks of FMLA you want, up to 12 weeks. That should bring you well through June. This is how my district does it anyway. But I would be willing to bet for any district FMLA should be separate from maternity/medical leave. And just for whatever it's worth, districts don't often advertise this fact, but your FMLA can be split up. So let's say I delivered late and only used 9 or 10 weeks of FMLA, if I wanted I could use the rest of the 12 weeks at the start of the next school year. The summer break weeks do not count as part of your FMLA. 

• pretty sure I'll be returning after spring break  :'(
  • I think I'll have to go back for about 3 weeks starting May 30th.  So basically for state exams and finals.  It shouldn't be too bad.

I broke the news at work yesterday.  It was AWFUL.  I told the kids in all of my classes that they need to keep their gross grubby hands off my belly, and some of them were actually offended that they're not allowed to touch me.

So, here's where I need some advice.  I have a student who's recently out as trans, and he's been in a long-term, tumultuous relationship with a younger girl.  When I mentioned that I'm due in late February, he called me over and whispered, "I'm expecting a baby, and she's due in late February, too!"

Obviously the baby is not biologically his, because science.  So I'm very, very concerned about... well, all of this.  I don't even know where to start.  Do I bring this to the attention of our school social worker?  Guidance counselor?  Do I keep my mouth shut and stay out of it?  He and I are pretty close - I've taught him every year for the past three years.  I'm one of the first people in the building he came out to, and he really trusts me.  I don't want to hurt him, but I also don't want to see him getting stuck in a bad situation that is really not his problem.