July 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding Your Baby

Re: Feeding Your Baby

• Options
    LDSJM123LDSJM123 member
    edited May 2017
    While I'm working M is typically getting 4-8oz (1-2 bottles). I leave at 330pm and nurse right before I walk out, and am home around 11ish. She gets dinner (solids) in there too. 

As for food strike, have you tried smoothies at all? I make them super thick and feed them to M with a spoon and I load them all kinds of fruit/veggies/hemp Hearts/peanut butter/chi/flax etc. Its not a long term solution, but if you're looking for some nutrition during the interim. Also, just try to remember that babies won't starve themselves. 
  • Options
    4oz bottle in the AM when she wakes and my mom usually gives her 9-12oz between 8:30am-4:30pm. I typically nurse once before bedtime. shes eating a lot of solids in conjunction with that milk! I wouldn't be too concerned @FTM53. I think that's kind of the direction they're headed? Less milk more foods.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know some of you had said your LOs are big solids eaters, and I'm wondering if any of you feel the need to control portions? Ruby eats what I would consider "normal" portion sizes for a 10 month old and does okay with formula still. Beck eats solids like a full grown man. For example, today he had two and a half small pancakes, half a coconut milk yogurt, and a fourth of a cup of blueberries for breakfast. Lunch he had 3/4 of an all beef organic hot dog, two sweet potato hash browns, and about four strawberries. Dinner he ate two turkey meatballs and almost 1/3 of an avocado. It's a struggle to get him to eat formula, but man does he eat a lot. Anyone else in a similar place?
  • Options
    FTM53FTM53 member
    @shanparadise DH asked the same question at our 9mo appointment. Pediatrician said they control their portions for right now. DS currently has a full eggo waffle, fruit (~1/8-1/4 cup), and then nurses. Then he'll have either fruit and yogurt (4oz), then a 4oz bottle, then a 4-5oz lunch (meat, veggies, starch), then a 4oz bottle, then a snack like cherrios or puffs. When I pick him up from daycare, he nurses (one breast) eats dinner (~4-6oz), nurses again (other breast), then nurses again before bed. He is in the 85% for weight and doc is super happy with it. 
  • Options
    kburg15kburg15 member
    I'm so glad someone brought this up! My motto was always "food before one is just for fun", but then I had a baby who eats what seem to be adult-sized portions. For dinner he ate a broccoli and tomato omlet (1 egg), a mandarin orange, and a banana. And he still acted hungry. I'm nervous I'm feeding him too many solids, but when he gets mad the meal is over, I'm nervous I'm not feeding him enough...
  • Options
    @LDSJM123 I tried a smoothie yesterday and she took a few sips before refusing. I was able to get her to eat a few orange slices and puffs while sitting on my lap. 
  • Options
    FTM53FTM53 member
    @babycakesday is she interested when you are eating? We started solids with me holding AJ on my lap while I ate. He got really interested watching me eat, then would grab for things on my plate/fork. I would then take a bite leaving some and offer that to him. 
  • Options
    @FTM53 I'm actually trying that today. She ate some cheerios with DH this morning and some of my yogurt a little bit ago. She ate by herself just fine a little bit over a week ago. Just not sure what caused the change. 

I'm not concerned about her starving. Her milk intake has gone up and she has been sleeping through the night finally. I just thought we'd be eating more solids and less milk now not the opposite. Can I say babies are weird? 
  • Options
    FTM53FTM53 member
    @babycakesday Yes! So weird!! AJ has pretty much completely stopped drinking and bottles at daycare (for he last 1.5 weeks). He drinks water from his sippy just fine, but put milk on it and he's furious. He eats everything else like a champ...they're so confusing. 

Could she be teething? I think he's refusing his bottles because his teeth hurt. 
  • Options
    I think she is teething so I tried cold food, but she refused. I called the pediatrician and she said it can be a normal phase. That some babies learn they can say no and prefer milk. She should outgrow it in a few weeks. 

Baby J is the same regarding her sippy cup. It's way about milk in her sippy cup. 
  • Options
    S eats great for my mom and myself, but not really for anyone else.  Now that my hubs is back my MIL will be watching S 2 days a week and I'm worried about her eating schedule.  I'm sure it will all work out fine...but i like a routine.
  • Options
    kburg15kburg15 member
    My son loves those pancakes! We just had them for dinner and I actually put a little peanut butter on top. He ate 6
  • Options
    @arhodes6 trying this! E hates eggs unless they have seasoning on them. Usually we add a bit of cajun seasoning, but that's a really great idea too.
  • Options
    My Lo hates bananas and banana flavored stuff for some odd reason I dont get it. Maybe its the texture. Maybe Ill try these to see if hell eat them or like eating bananas this way.
  • Options
    schaze said:
    @arhodes6 trying this! E hates eggs unless they have seasoning on them. Usually we add a bit of cajun seasoning, but that's a really great idea too.

Stuck in the box! 

Silly question, but do you not season her food? 
  • Options
    kburg15kburg15 member
    Don't feel bad! I'm sure he made up for it in BM, the solids will just help keep him full longer and they love experiencing something "new" :)
  • Options
    @LDSJM123 yep, if it's "boring" eggs we have to put something on it. Veggies need to be mixed with her main dish or she picks around them. I joke that it's because I ate so many flavorful foods when I was pregnant with her so that's all she's used to. Probably not true, but it's my excuse! 

@john5111 no bananas here either. I think it's the texture that bothers her. I'm not able to eat bananas, they make my tongue and throat really itchy, so we never have them in the house anyway.
  • Options
    We've been lucky with L in the way she will really eat just about anything. But I've noticed when I give her the main dish with her side of veggies, she goes crazy for the noodles, quesadilla, meat but has started to ignore the majority of the veggies. I've discovered putting shredded anything in a whole wheat tortilla with cheese works! And less messy. So we've done eggs and cheese in the tortilla, beans and veggies in the tortilla...shredded meats, and veggies sprinkled with cheese. She loves it! And I love less mess haha!! 
  • Options
    Oh to touch on seasonings...I season things about 50/50. I do think it helps!
  • Options
    FTM53FTM53 member
    I don't usually season DSs any special way. Eggs get salt, pepper, butter (because I scramble 8 at a time for DH, DS, and myself), veggies usually get roasted with olive oil, meat is seasoned however we have it (taco, lemon, BBQ...), and I make my tomato sauce from scratch so it has lots of seasoning in it too. 

DSs new favorite breakfast-- an eggo waffle with mashed banana spread on it. Though he still loves his eggs with toast, too. 
  • Options
    Omg, the teeth!!! I do not know how I am going to continue at this rate. Do your boobs just eventually get used to them?? Kind of like in the beginning. I nurse on demand Fri-Sun, and do quite a bit of pumping the other days because of work. Today, I've pumped for every feeding. I am dying!! My bra even has blood spots from my wounds!! Ugh! 
  • Options
    Anyone feed their baby eggs as per dr. okay and LO have a severe reaction? LO vomitted abt an hour after he ate a bit of scrambled egg and cheese for breakfast and had welts and hives all over his face and body today. It scared the ever living crap out of us. Gave him childrens dose of benedryl and his face cleared up but he still has hives on his body and legs. 
    jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @tiffrox81 - E's bit me a few times but not enough to draw blood.  Ouch!!!!!!  When it happens, I just take him off very quickly and stop nursing.  Hope that discontinues the biting.

@jodi1980 yes!  E had projectile vomit twice shortly after eating eggs for the first time along with rashy skin.  We haven't tried since and will be going to the allergist...  He's had a few bad reactions and it is super scary!!!!

• Options
    @TiffRox81 Is she biting or just not covering her teeth while nursing? If biting, I push on his chin to get him off and say no pretty firmly, it taught him pretty quick that biting won't fly, haha. He still will bite occasionally when he is trying to be funny (he will look at me and smile and then bite, I KNOW he knows) but now I just cut him off when he does that because he's just playing at that point. Hope it gets better! Maybe a nipple shield if it doesn't?
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I don't think she's biting. I think it's just her latch? I never used a shield before. It maybe I need one now!! She's up to 8 teeth now and I feel like the newer ones are fully coming in. That's all I can think! We'll see how I recover this week, being back at work. Hopefully things heal up a bit. 
  • Options
    @austinjl I will have to get him in for an allergy test with the doc. I read that they may want him to try eggs again after a year old. Apparently the protein in the egg and baby's antibodies fight which is the bodies way of rejecting the protein thus giving them a bad reaction. Super scary indeed! I pray he isn't allergic because eggs are in EVERYTHING!
    jodi
    whitehall, pa

• Options
    Jodi1980 - My LO fortunately hasn't had any reactions to eggs, but one of my good friend's 4 year old has a pretty severe egg allergy and she has said several times that she is shocked at how much easier it is to navigate than she thought it would be.  She buys egg replacement stuff and she said you can't even tell.  He does just fine )  Yet another adjustment period.
  • Options
    I too have a friend with a child that has a pretty severe egg allergy. For him, it's just straight eggs that do it. But cake/cookies things with them cooked into it, he's ok. Hope you get the answers you need! Food allergies can be really scary. 
  • Options
    We just got a script to go get bloodwork done to confirm the egg allergy. It saddens me because back in the 80's when DH and I were babies, these food allergies were extremely rare and now I feel everywhere you go (school, daycare, etc), you have to be so careful because they are life threatening in many cases! After seeing my poor baby like that yesterday, I feel for anybody going through that for the rest of their life!
    jodi
    whitehall, pa

• Options
    I don't have any suggestions other than have you tried earth, mama, angel baby nipple butter? I put it on before and after. M only has 2 bottom teeth, and although I do get sore from time time, I'm assuming it's nothing like 8 teeth. Holy smokes! Throw on a nipple shield, it can't hurt right? Good luck mama! The 12 month mark is right there - you've got this! 

@TiffRox81
  • Options
    Just thought of this, have you considered seeing a lactation consultant?
  • Options
    Thanks, @LDSJM123! It might come to trying some different balms. We will see. I hadn't considered a consultant. I'm kind of chalking it up to a lot of new, sharp teeth. i might check with some of my local friends and see what they encountered too. A lot of my friends didn't have a ton of success BF'ing tho. 
  • Options
    I have a really good turkey chili recipe I make for us. I was thinking of throwing some in the blender and serving it to L. It's really just beans, turkey and some seasonings. I think all that should be fine if we'll chopped?

Tonight I gave her some of the filling I made for our stuffed peppers. She liked that! It's like a second job trying to come up with food ideas lol!! 
  • Options
    So we don't cook often and with my schedule it's hard to most nights. What are quick go to meals for babies you all use? Like something pre made I can just purchase in a crunch?