July 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding Your Baby

Re: Feeding Your Baby

• Options
    @LDSJM123 - so interesting! I'm the opposite; only get a decent amount of double pumping or pumping while she feeds on the other side
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ldsjm123 if you want to try double pumping again, start with one side first and wait for a let down. Then put the other side on to pump. I've had better luck with that then starting with both at the same time. 
  • Options
    Hugs @arhodes6!  Cheers to you for doing what you gotta do to take care of your babe.
  • Options
    Sending you all the hugs @arhodes6. Q is lucky you're his mama  <3
  • Options
    Sending you good vibes and thoughts @arhodes6! I know it's hard to make the switch emotionally, but you have a lot of support from us here. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!! I'm starting to come to terms with the whole thing. Now I'm just worried about how bad my boobs are going to hurt :worried:
  • Options
    @arhodes6  Hugs! I'm glad you have the relief of not being up in the air about what to do and that you are doing what's best for you LO!
  • Options
    @arhodes6 Hugs, mama. I struggled hard core with having to use formula for my MSPI babies, but I love the saying "fed is best!"
  • Options
    @arhodes6 hugs momma! 
  • Options
    Anyone notice a slight drop in supply since starting solids? I'm down an ounce or two pumping
  • Options
    This might be a dumb question, but since I just started formula and I don't know what to do, I thought I'd ask you ladies! If Q wakes up in the middle of the night acting hungry, do I feed him a bottle? I would feed him when I was breastfeeding, but I don't know how it works with formula since you have a certain amount babies should be getting per day. Should I do a full bottle, or half? 
  • Options
    @arhodes6 I feed her a normal bottle at night. Some times she drinks it all sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes is wakes up twice and I'll feed her both times if she seems hungry. Also according to the chart she should.be drinking 26-30 oz, but she never does. She drinks probably 22-25 oz on most days. She's gaining right on track and has stayed at the 50th percentile. Also, I feed her on demand. So don't worry too much about it unless his weight drops or he skyrockets in weight.  Hope this helps.
  • Options
    @babycakesday thanks! I assumed I would feed him if he woke up, especially since we are dealing with him falling off his weight curve, but then I read that I shouldn't give him more than 32 oz. in a day. I feel like I'm second guessing everything again with this new routine. Thanks for the advice! 
  • Options
    I usually don't feed her at night anymore. However, she has been sleeping through the night for quite awhile now so it is really rare! I make sure she drinks all her calories in the daytime and she sleeps well. However, when we first switched and she was super skinny I fed her at night until she got her weight up! 
  • Options
    Anyone who went to formula, did you end up with plugged milk ducts when you weaned? It's been 2 weeks now and my boobs are still leaking and I have plugged ducts that hurt :( anything that you did to help? 
  • Options
    @arhodes6 I am not weaning, but you will want to take care of those milk ducts because it can turn into mastitis. To help with clogged milk ducts I massage out the clog while pumping/nursing, place heat on the clog or take a hot shower and have the water run over them, and just keep on expressing milk even though it seems counter intuitive to weaning.
  • Options
    arhodes6arhodes6 member
    edited January 2017
    @adough27 thanks! That's exactly what I am doing because I'm scared to get mastitis! I had it once while nursing and it's terrible. But you're right, it does seem counter intuitive. 
  • Options
    The last couple days I have had pain on my right breast, like a raw almost burning sensation, and it hurt like hell when I pumped or LO latched. I was getting nervous because my right breast is such a trouble maker, I had mastitis twice, both times caused by this breast. I was checking out my breast (because the discomfort was unlike anything I experienced before) and found a milk blister, I drained it and I am feeling less pain, but until I googled what it was, I had no idea you can get milk blisters! The things you learn!  
  • Options
     @adough27 I've had one before! Those things HURT. It also cause a plugged duct because I didn't catch it. Pain in the butt. Glad you're feeling better :)
  • Options
    Well, I think I'm done breastfeeding too. My supply tanked when I went back to work and was only able to pump once on shift (and sometimes not at all if it was busy). I've been trying to pump at home and feed her, but my supply has slowly been tanking and this morning I got less than an ounce. I was hoping to make it through winter for the antibodies but doesn't look like it will happen. I'm pretty sad even though I know she's fine on formula. DH just keeps telling me I just need to 'pump more' , which makes me want to strangle him.
  • Options
    Pump more?  What an easy solution lol.  I understand your want to strangle him!  Do what's best for you and babe!  Good job making it this far.   You made it through half of winter :)
  • Options
    My milk supply seems great during the day but lower in the evenings. I think DD2 might be waking so much in the night because she's hungry. I gave her 3 1/2 oz in a bottle last night plus 1 breast and she slept better. I pumped both breasts 2 hours later (10 PM) and only got 3 oz total. She is 18 1/2 lbs and 75th percentile for weight so she's not stuggling too much. 

I'm going to buy Mother's Milk tea and brewer's yeast today. Anyone have a good lactation cookie they like? Any other suggestions for me? 
  • Options
    holly142 said:
    My milk supply seems great during the day but lower in the evenings. I think DD2 might be waking so much in the night because she's hungry. I gave her 3 1/2 oz in a bottle last night plus 1 breast and she slept better. I pumped both breasts 2 hours later (10 PM) and only got 3 oz total. She is 18 1/2 lbs and 75th percentile for weight so she's not stuggling too much. 

I'm going to buy Mother's Milk tea and brewer's yeast today. Anyone have a good lactation cookie they like? Any other suggestions for me? 
    I Have to pump 3 nights a week between 9-10 pm at work. So i totally understand about the lower night supply, im the same way! I've perfected this milk shake and drink it daily now. It keeps me ridiculously full so typically have it as my breakfast. It fills a large tervis tumbler and nutrition wise it's 570 calories, 29g of protein (!!), and 19g of fat. I make mine in my vitamix.  

1/2 C vanilla Almond milk (or milk and a dash of vanilla) 
    1/2 C water
    2 TBSP flax seed
    2 TBSP cocoa powder
    1TBSP Brewers yeast
    1TBSP peanut butter 
    1 banana (I prefer frozen)
    1/2 C oatmeal 
    Some chocolate chips (optional) 
    1-2ish C Ice. (Depends if your banana is frozen and how cold/icee you like your shake.) 

Sometimes I need to add a bit more water. And you're looking for it to be a smooth milkshake consistency. I genuinely enjoy drinking it. It took 13 days of tweaking it! This accompanied with drinking lots of water consistently has me pumping 6-9 ounces at night. 
  • Options
    I should add, that when I have to pump at night, I drink this mid afternoon. I have it for breakfast the days I pump in the morning. 
  • Options
    Thank you! I have everything except the brewers yeast which I'm buying tonight. I will try it tomorrow!
  • Options
    LDSJM123 said:
    holly142 said:

I Have to pump 3 nights a week between 9-10 pm at work. So i totally understand about the lower night supply, im the same way! I've perfected this milk shake and drink it daily now. It keeps me ridiculously full so typically have it as my breakfast. It fills a large tervis tumbler and nutrition wise it's 570 calories, 29g of protein (!!), and 19g of fat. I make mine in my vitamix.  

1/2 C vanilla Almond milk (or milk and a dash of vanilla) 
    1/2 C water
    2 TBSP flax seed
    2 TBSP cocoa powder
    1TBSP Brewers yeast
    1TBSP peanut butter 
    1 banana (I prefer frozen)
    1/2 C oatmeal 
    Some chocolate chips (optional) 
    1-2ish C Ice. (Depends if your banana is frozen and how cold/icee you like your shake.) 

Sometimes I need to add a bit more water. And you're looking for it to be a smooth milkshake consistency. I genuinely enjoy drinking it. It took 13 days of tweaking it! This accompanied with drinking lots of water consistently has me pumping 6-9 ounces at night. 
    This sounds awesome and a nice alternative to eating instant oatmeal every day. Do you have to make this every morning or are you able to make enough that will hold in the fridge for the next day or two?
  • Options
    LDSJM123LDSJM123 member
    edited February 2017
    I do make it daily because of the ice. However I have made freezer packs. I prefroze the dollops of peanut butter on plastic and then put them in ziplocks along with bananas being peeled and frozen. I premeasured all the dry ingredients into sandwich bags (1 bag = 1 smoothie worth of stuff) and keep them in the fridge. Def makes morning prep quicker and less dishes. It's 

@Ladybug2821
  • Options
    Did adding brewer's yeast upset anyone's stomach in the beginning? I'm wondering if I have a stomach bug...
  • Options
    No issues here with Brewers yeast.
  • Options
    Just bad coincidence then. I'm now officially sick. The bad stomach pain and diarrhea turned into throwing up. Thankfully DH is home from his work conference to help. I just feel bad that he is also exhausted. 
  • Options
    Oh no! That's the worst. I hope you feel better quick! 
  • Options
    AshGee18AshGee18 member
    edited February 2017
    How have you ladies gone about feeding veggies to your babies? Nat eats fruits no problem but I've tried spinach, peas, sweet potatoes and squash but she literally gags and spits it out. I've tried mixing them in with fruit which sometimes works but sometimes I suspect she's caught on to me and she takes two spoonfuls and refuses the rest lol. She eats plenty of fruit but I'm not sure I just want her eating fruit and cereal only (plus breastmilk)
  • Options
    @AshGee18 how do you serve them? Are they puréed? AJ won't eat puréed veggies, but likes them just forked mashed or soft roasted. We've done mashed sweet potato, sliced avocado, fork mashed carrots, fork mashed peas, fork mashed broccoli and carrots,  and roasted carrot pieces, roasted eggplant, roasted broccoli, and roasted cauliflower. I always introduce them when I'm eating them. He sees me eat it 
    and gets interested, then is more into it when I give him some. 
  • Options
    @FTM53 yeah I puree them in the baby bullet. She's okay with avacado puree, but every other veggie ive tried she gives me the "tha f*** is this?" look lol. I'll try them not pureed and see if that works! Thank you!
  • Options
    Elijah's favorite food is pears so I mix the foods he doesn't like with them.  At first I was doing like 90% pears, 10% veggie (squash or seeet potato usually) but now I can do half and half. I win!!!!!