July 2016 Moms

Feeding Your Baby

Re: Feeding Your Baby

• @FTM53 yes mine are still sore now at 5 weeks.  They are way better than at first and he is eating and gaining like a champ,  his latch is way better than when we started but I've still got soreness . He's got a tongue and lip tie we're fixing on Wednesday,  so this may or may not be related
  • At what age do you stop waking your baby up at night to eat? DD has regained her birth weight as of her last appointment on Thursday, but the pediatrician didn't mention anything about going to "on demand" at night. I let her (and me) sleep about 4-5 hours and then change her diaper to wake her up, feed her for 10-15 minutes and then put her back down for another 2-3 hours. During the day she eats every 1-3 hours and I have no problem waking her up for those feeds (she often will wake up on her own during the day). I'm not complaining about this at all, as I know I'm very lucky that she sleeps so well at night (for now). 
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Loading the player...
  • @sboston06 my pediatrician said once LO regains their birthweight and are gaining regularly. We did this at 2 weeks. But it really doesn't matter for us. At 5 weeks, LO is still waking every 45min-2hrs.
  • @sboston06 our pedi told us to stop waking him at night once he regained his birth weight which was at our 2 week appointment. He now sleeps from 1030-3ish and wakes up on his own. I think it's different for every baby but I think that it is typically on demand at night once they are back to birth weight. 
  • It is breastmilk in the bottle.  He'll take a sip and spit it out :(. We'll be trying out some different bottles tonight to see if that helps.  

@ftm53 you can look at YouTube videos of the flipple technique.  You basically force more breast tissue into baby's mouth before putting the nipple in.  It'll make more sense when you watch the videos.  This has helped us.  Now the right side latch is fine and the left side is getting better.  Somebody in a breastfeeding support group suggested cranio sacral therapy with a chiropractor.  Has anybody done this?  It was recommended by several moms.

@sboston06 our ped said not to wake up at night when baby gained birth weight back.
  • @sboston06 same as what many other moms are saying, pur pediatrician told us we could go to an on demand schedule now that she was back to birth weight (and then some) at her two week appointment. 
  • Asking for a friend - her baby was born the first week of July. She will be 6 weeks Tuesday. She's having s lot of trouble getting her to sleep consistently more than about 2-2.5 hours day or night. She's also refusing to take a bottle. They've tried 7 kinds!! Poor girl has to go back to work next Monday and she's terrified. Any advice?? My thoughts are thst she's not eating enough when nursing to keep her satisfied for long stretches but I really don't know. And I have no thoughts on the bottle issue, as our girl took it immediately when offered. 
  • Is she the one giving the bottle? I have heard that they may refuse the bottle from the mom because they know she can breast feed them. The sleeping thing, 2 hours is really good during the day! That is a normal nap time for this age. All the baby schedules I have looked at have nap times of 2 hours. Their baby may just not be ready to sleep longer stretches at night? She could try dream feeding to get her LO to sleep a little longer when they go to bed. That helps me a lot. I try to put her down at 8pm, and then I dream feed her around 10 when we go to bed. Breast milk goes through their systems within an hour and a half so their baby may just be needing more. 
  • @TiffRox81 AJ is 6 weeks on Thursday and he only naps for MAX 2 hours. I get 3 out of him at night. This is still completely normal. He also won't take a bottle from me if he was starving. I concur with @shaylalr
  • Oh I don't disagree with the daytime nap duration. That's about what we're getting too. But we've definitely been getting longer sleep stretches at night. They're all different tho!! She really can only get the 2 hours out of her if she's sleeping on her. She's just so worried about having to go back to work the way things stand right now. 

Theyve tried husband giving the bottle. Her leaving the room. A friend giving her the bottle. She'll take max about an ounce. 
  • @sboston06 ours also told us once she regained her birth weight we can go on demand. 
  • @austinjl This may be a dumb suggestion, but have you checked to see if the smell or taste of the milk in the bottle seems off? I accidentally gave a bottle out of the fridge that must have been there longer than I thought and he spit it out too, I smelled it and it smelled a little weird so I think it was just the taste that he didn't like. He took a fresh pumped bottle later that day with no issues. I've also heard that some foods or nutrients can affect the taste of your milk, so maybe look into that too as a possibility? Although now that I think about it, if he's taking it from your breast ok that's probably not the issue. Just a thought! 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @DachshundMomma me too. I haven't breastfed in public yet and don't really plan on it. Right now I've been bringing bottles of pumped milk or formula. I'm not comfortable enough with feeding her under a cover or exposing my breasts. I know there are certain nursing tops that minimize exposure but I don't have any right now. I do feel comfortable nursing when people come over and I'm in the comfort of my own home. 
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • @DachshundMomma this might be a dumb question but do you have a cover? I can't do it in public without a cover. I love the Bebe Au lait cover from target that has a rounded neck so I can see my LO but still be covered. I have a milk snob too but I can't see down into it and it's hard to maneuver under. I have found that no one really pays any attention to me when i have a cover over me and I have been able to feed in public just about every where and feel comfortable 
  • @DachshundMomma I am the same way. My son wanted absolutely nothing to do with BFing until he was about 3 1/2 weeks old so initially I was EPing. He's 6 weeks old today & since he's decided that he loves the boob, I BF as much as possible BUT I haven't done so in public yet; I'm honestly not sure if I ever will. Even the thought of it just makes me feel so anxious even though as you said BFing is completely natural. When I know we are going out I always pack my cooler with a bottle of breastmilk and I take along a container of formula and a bottle of water in the diaper bag as well.
  • I don't have a cover, I just have blankets that I've used if we have guys from my husband's unit over. I don't mind feeding at home in front of others as long as I get him latched quickly. I use a nipple shield so it takes an extra second or two. I hope I get over this fear. I keep telling myself it's just a boob lol.
  • @DachshundMomma the only time I have done it was at the children's hospital we took C to (we were there for almost 4 hours :-() otherwise I feel the same way! I just can't seem to navigate it in a way where I wouldn't be flashing my boob. Even if we have visitors I go upstairs. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been practicing breastfeeding at the hospital classes/groups and women's lounges at the mall.  I would like to bf in public but I'm not there yet.  Once it gets eaisier and I don't need two hands and several tries to get him latched, I hope to bf in public.
  • I am really excited that I nursed DD2 in the baby carrier (Boba) yesterday! I never did it with DD and now I am wondering why. I definitely recommend it. 

I felt uncomfortable nursing DD in public when she was little. However, once she could support her head, it was easier for her to latch and me to keep covered. I always wear a nursing bra and nursing tank top. Then I pull my top shirt up. Basically I'm all covered but I still wear a nursing cover. Now I nurse wherever. 
  • I feel like just ripping off the band aid and nursing when we were out helped me a lot.  The first time I did it in a nursing area in a museum but since then whenever we leave the house. I wear something easy (if not a nursing top then I do the two shirt method) and I use an Aden & Anais swaddle as a cover
  • Hi mamas ! Ben is going to be a month tomorrow and I've been nursing with a nipple shield since day one. He's been gaining weight okay. Pretty much he's meeting the .5 oz a day requirement, but anything less they say is a little to low. A nurse suggested the nipple shield stops the baby from getting as much milk as possible. Soooo now I'm trying to ween myself off it and hoping he might start gaining a little more. My boobs are killing me and I'm feeling like I'm starting at square one with learning hue to do this again, Anyone successfully ween off the shield? How long are your babies nursing on each breast ? I know it's different for everyone but just curious. Thanks ! 
  • We didn't have any problem getting off the nipple shield at about 6 weeks but his latch is still not perfect.  It's a lot better though! Look up the flipple technique for latching. I offer one breast at each feeding and he eats anywhere from 10 mins to 40 mins depending on hunger level.  I also think he stays on for comfort too.  Good luck!
  • @breanneestafford1 I'm using a shield too and have tried multiple times to get her off it but she won't even take the nipple without it. Put the shield on and she takes it no problem. It's very frustrating. If your LO is gaining weight it may not be a problem to continue with the shield. Our pedi doesn't mind them so long as there is evidence of good milk transfer. Are you working with a lactation consultant? Mine told me the tip of the shield should be full or half full with milk if you unlatch the baby. 
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • @sboston06 I've been trying to get into a LC. Everyone I've worked with so far keeps telling me "you don't need it" which is frustrating because I feel like I do. It hurts so bad without it. He chomps. Most of the time there is milk when I break the latch, so I feel like he's getting everything. Blah. Breastfeeding is hard
  • @breanneestafford1 Don't feel bad, I still use one and can't wean off it either, it hurts so bad without it. My LC said she could help me wean off it once we get all my other issues worked out. Breastfeeding IS hard. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • I'm using a nipple shield and don't have any issues with his weight gain. Each time I take it from him it's full of milk. He gained his weight back from birth within 3 days of being discharged. I've been to an LC associated with the hospital and talked to other LCs and they say it's fine to keep using it so long as he's gaining. So nipple shield it is! 
  • By the way, one of the lactation consultants at the hospital said there are mothers who use thenipple shield for the entire time they breastfeed. Breastfeeding is hard.
  • The only reason I'd like to wean off the shield is because I'm sick of washing it and it's a pain to apply when LO is screaming and trying to latch. She's a chomper too. I had no idea breastfeeding would be this hard...I did so little to prepare for it. 
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • @sboston06 I'm with you on that. It's a pain to get up and wash it after every feeding, especially at night. Plus always having to remember to bring it every where. I've already lost one and luckily I had been smart enough to keep a spare on hand. I've tried weaning her off it, but no success here. We might just end up using it the whole time or I am really considering switching to pumping instead. 
  • @sboston06 @babycakesday have you thought of using the medela quick cleaning wipes? You could always keep a pack of those at your "feeding station". No water needed and they are for cleaning items that have breastmilk on them. I use them for my pump shields and on the medela thermashells I wear between feedings. 
  • @ftm53 great idea! I will get some of those. I do have two shields so I don't have to wash after every feeding but it's still a lot!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • babycakesdaybabycakesday member
    edited August 2016
    @FTM53 Great idea. I'm at the store now so I'm definitely going to grab some. 

Anyone have a baby with food sensitivity? LO peditrician just diagnosed her with, but I was wondering how long before you saw any improvement. 
  • @babycakesday- what is your LO sensitive to?  

DD was sensitive to dairy when little. She would cry for hours and scrunch up her belly and legs. I 100% eliminated dairy from my diet and DD was so much happier!  Every 3 months I tried dairy. When DD was 6 months she cried for 4 hours. At 9 months she was fine! 
  • @holly142 Doc wasn't sure so we're currently eliminating eggs, dairy, soy, wheat and nuts from my diet to see improvements. LO is currently like you explained. I just was wondering how soon I'll see a difference if she is sensitive. 
  • I think I started noticing a difference after a few days, but it can take up to 2 weeks. (If I remember right, it was 2 1/2 years ago.)
  • @breanneestafford1 late to the party! My DS is 9.5 weeks old and we still use the nipple shield most of the time. My OB said use it as long as you want, but my LC was eager to get him to transition off the shield. Don't feel pressured to stop using it. E had a crap latch due to being early and a strong suck so we needed the shield to survive. I've slowly started trying feedings without the shield and its gone okay. I usually start with the shield and pop it off and it goes well. Both my OB and LC did say that the idea the shield prevents LO from getting much milk is out of date due to how the shields are now made so don't let that idea feed any mommy guilt.