June 2016 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• Options
    Because I had a rough start to breastfeeding and needed to pump to protect supply, I'm having trouble NOT pumping now. I need to pump a little when I go back to work in another week but even then I won't be apart from her long so I may only have to pump once (plan on working in the evenings from 1-4 hours 4x a week). So right now I'm really just building the freezer supply and a small fridge supply in case my husband needs to feed her. But I feel guilty if I go more than a day without pumping, even though my back up supply is pretty good right now (just transferred another 24oz over to the freezer). I think in my head I worry that if I'm not pumping then I am hurting my supply. I still feed on demand and plan on still doing that when I m back at work. Just wish I could convince myself that my supply is fine and will stay fine just from breastfeeding alone. The nipple shield doesn't seem to affect my supply so I think I just need to relax and go with it. 

People who are EBF and are not planning on going to work-do any of you not pump at all? I don't think my SIL ever has, even just to build a small back up supply so someone else could do a bottle here and there.

I try to pump once a day cause we use the bottle A for bonding with DH and B to give him his probiotics.   I have oversupply so I don't wanna pump too much but I wanna build a stash and eventually donate.  Two days ago I actually pumped 6.5 oz from one side. 
  • Options
    Because I had a rough start to breastfeeding and needed to pump to protect supply, I'm having trouble NOT pumping now. I need to pump a little when I go back to work in another week but even then I won't be apart from her long so I may only have to pump once (plan on working in the evenings from 1-4 hours 4x a week). So right now I'm really just building the freezer supply and a small fridge supply in case my husband needs to feed her. But I feel guilty if I go more than a day without pumping, even though my back up supply is pretty good right now (just transferred another 24oz over to the freezer). I think in my head I worry that if I'm not pumping then I am hurting my supply. I still feed on demand and plan on still doing that when I m back at work. Just wish I could convince myself that my supply is fine and will stay fine just from breastfeeding alone. The nipple shield doesn't seem to affect my supply so I think I just need to relax and go with it. 

People who are EBF and are not planning on going to work-do any of you not pump at all? I don't think my SIL ever has, even just to build a small back up supply so someone else could do a bottle here and there.
    I only pump when I need to - if I'm engorged, if she skips a side during a feed, or if we're going somewhere/having guests over and I want to give her a bottle instead of nurse. She gets a bottle a couple of times a week. 

I have about 10 bags in the freezer from when my milk first came in and I was so engorged and I have two 3oz bottles in the fridge.

I think of pumping as an inconvenience because of having to clean the parts, warm it up, etc and I find nursing more comfortable so I only do it when necessary. However, with weddings coming up, etc I need to get more stock going and I'm not totally sure how to do that without creating oversupply.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @laurenm2123 I was thinking similarly about not wanting to create oversupply. I was typically pumping at night after her last evening feed but I am switching it up to first thing in the morning after her morning feed. I would rather my body think we need more in the morning than more in the evening when I'm trying to go to sleep. Plus, having heavy boobs in the morning gets me motivated to get out of bed and feed her! 
  • Options
    @laurenm2123 I was thinking similarly about not wanting to create oversupply. I was typically pumping at night after her last evening feed but I am switching it up to first thing in the morning after her morning feed. I would rather my body think we need more in the morning than more in the evening when I'm trying to go to sleep. Plus, having heavy boobs in the morning gets me motivated to get out of bed and feed her! 
    Yeah waking up engorged when she is still sleeping in the MOTN is miserable! I actually pumped this morning after her first feed and got 3oz which is great because my parents are going to watch her while DH and I go to the movies :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure we won't be going to the movies for the next couple of years. No family in the area means baby is always with us. We are thinking about trying to go to a drive in movie where she could stay with us and i could breastfeed during the movie no problem.
  • Options
    adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited July 2016
    Ok so get this. I have an oversupply, so I am told.  When I feel full I can get about 6oz from one side and if the other side is full about 4 or 5 bit I normally pump after a meal where he eats off one side so it's more like a total of 7oz.  This issue is, I'm not consistent.  For examplewe took DS to the mall with us and he had to eat.  I still hadn't filled back up from the pumping I did 3+ hours before so he drained both sides. You'd think he'd been full but he just didn't seem totally satisfied.  We got him an hour later and he wants to eat again. I spent the last 45 min just going back and forth hoping he'd let me know he's done but he just kept rooting for more.  Then I burped him and he had a couple burps then a big spit up.  Not like a huge amount but enough for me to assume maybe he ate too much.  I just wish I knew how to balance the supply cause at night and early morning they hurt so bad from being full but during the day the are like deflated balloons.  Anyone have an idea as to why?

Eta:. He also won't fall asleep after this feed even though he's been awake for a while.
  • Options
    purplefan1purplefan1 member
    edited July 2016
    Ok so get this. I have an oversupply, so I am told.  When I feel full I can get about 6oz from one side and if the other side is full about 4 or 5 bit I normally pump after a meal where he eats off one side so it's more like a total of 7oz.  This issue is, I'm not consistent.  For examplewe took DS to the mall with us and he had to eat.  I still hadn't filled back up from the pumping I did 3+ hours before so he drained both sides. You'd think he'd been full but he just didn't seem totally satisfied.  We got him an hour later and he wants to eat again. I spent the last 45 min just going back and forth hoping he'd let me know he's done but he just kept rooting for more.  Then I burped him and he had a couple burps then a big spit up.  Not like a huge amount but enough for me to assume maybe he ate too much.  I just wish I knew how to balance the supply cause at night and early morning they hurt so bad from being full but during the day the are like deflated balloons.  Anyone have an idea as to why?

Eta:. He also won't fall asleep after this feed even though he's been awake for a while.
    When you pump don't pump until you are drained, only pump enough to not feel engorged. Otherwise you are telling your body that there is a demand and it is making more to supply the demand. The pumping you are doing may be perpetuating the oversupply issue you are experiencing.

He may be going through another growth spurt and just want to nurse a lot. And spitting up doesn't always have to do with overeating unless they are bottle fed. Their esophagus is short and it doesn't take much for milk to come back up. 

Edited to finish
  • Options
    @egirl1025 my dude went through the same thing. They told me it had a lot to do with him coming a little early and when I hear him starting to gurgle roll him on his side and suck it out. After doing that a couple times and a couple times of him spitting it up after three days he was good to go
    nws
  • Options

I don't have answers but I think I have a similar issue. I don't think I have oversupply (most I've gotten at one time is 5 oz when LO and I accidentally slept through a feeding). But I think I have that timing issue, where breasts are too full in middle of night and a.m. and she sleeps for 5 hours straight, then wants to eat more often in the evening and I feel like I can't keep up. Not sure what to do! I thought about pumping extra in a.m. and bottle feeding later, but she's starting to really prefer breast to bottle. She takes the bottle but doesn't drink as much from it as she used to, and seems like she still wants breast afterwards.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    My LO is also still taking the bottle but drinking less from it then wanting the breast after. Also LO has always just nurses from one side at a time and now she's finishing one then like 20 minutes later fussing and eating from the other too. 
  • Options
    My LO is also still taking the bottle but drinking less from it then wanting the breast after. Also LO has always just nurses from one side at a time and now she's finishing one then like 20 minutes later fussing and eating from the other too. 
    Mine has done the same with eating for a bit, taking a nap for a bit, then wanting on the other side.

And we haven't had a time yet where she was given a bottle where she didn't want to finish on the breast. I figure it still has to do with soothing and reassuring herself that the breast is not gone for forever. 

She is just over 5 weeks now and seems like she may be going through another growth spurt. Feeding a lot today and sleep is erratic. Whenever she is cluster feeding or just seeming like she can't stop eating, I spend that time googling the benefits of breastfeeding and feeding on demand which help me to stay calm and not get frustrated. It helps to normalize her behaviors as much as possible. I'm so thankful to have a kid during the time of the internet and instant access to information. I love research and reading and learning and she gives me a lot of topics to learn about.
  • Options
    Update on Preston's tongue/lip tie issues.

We've now gone twice to both a occupational therapist for craniosacral therapy and twice to see an LC who I am also in constant contact with.  It was rocky at first and we had some horrible days but things re getting better.  Tonight we had our very first full feeding where there was no clicking or him swallowing air and I actually had that moment breastfeeding moms should get where they feel like it's a beautiful thing and they feel that bond.  Now all I have to do is figure out my oversupply/letdown issue.  Basically, I want to build a stash of milk and eventually donate but I don't want to hard breasts and heavy letdown which makes it hard for him to latch and he drinks so fast that he swallows air anyways.  We'll see what my LC says to try.
  • Options
    Mine has done the same with eating for a bit, taking a nap for a bit, then wanting on the other side.

And we haven't had a time yet where she was given a bottle where she didn't want to finish on the breast. I figure it still has to do with soothing and reassuring herself that the breast is not gone for forever. 

She is just over 5 weeks now and seems like she may be going through another growth spurt. Feeding a lot today and sleep is erratic. Whenever she is cluster feeding or just seeming like she can't stop eating, I spend that time googling the benefits of breastfeeding and feeding on demand which help me to stay calm and not get frustrated. It helps to normalize her behaviors as much as possible. I'm so thankful to have a kid during the time of the internet and instant access to information. I love research and reading and learning and she gives me a lot of topics to learn about.

Dr. Google has big pluses and big minuses for me. I can easily work myself up researching concerns and such. I guess I'm a bit of a worry-wart and alarmist in that way. Drives my husband crazy, not that he would ever say so to me but I can tell. For instance, apparently I'm not very observant and never noticed the milk residue on my son's tongue after feedings. Well I had just researched thrush (no idea why, I think I just fell down the rabbit hole one day while surfing the web) and when I noticed the residue I immediately turned to my husband, "He has thrush!!" The look on his face was priceless, he went on to explain to me thatbit was milk residue and comes off easily. I felt like such an idiot. 
  • Options

Dr. Google has big pluses and big minuses for me. I can easily work myself up researching concerns and such. I guess I'm a bit of a worry-wart and alarmist in that way. Drives my husband crazy, not that he would ever say so to me but I can tell. For instance, apparently I'm not very observant and never noticed the milk residue on my son's tongue after feedings. Well I had just researched thrush (no idea why, I think I just fell down the rabbit hole one day while surfing the web) and when I noticed the residue I immediately turned to my husband, "He has thrush!!" The look on his face was priceless, he went on to explain to me thatbit was milk residue and comes off easily. I felt like such an idiot. 

Stuck in box: I do the same thing!!
  • Options
    My breasts ache. Not always really bad, but sometimes enough to take an ibuprofen. Almost a similar ache to first trimester pregnancy. Anyone else experience this from breastfeeding? It isn't engorgement and it doesn't seem thrush or mastitis or anything. Just a dull to sometimes painful ache in both breasts.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    My breasts ache. Not always really bad, but sometimes enough to take an ibuprofen. Almost a similar ache to first trimester pregnancy. Anyone else experience this from breastfeeding? It isn't engorgement and it doesn't seem thrush or mastitis or anything. Just a dull to sometimes painful ache in both breasts.
    I felt that way last week. I have no idea what caused it or what relieved it but it did fade away. 

I know that's not helpful...
  • Options
    I felt that way last week. I have no idea what caused it or what relieved it but it did fade away. 

I find that this comes and goes for me, but I feel it the most in the time right after I pump and in that time when I should start pumping.  Never lasts long enough for me to take something though.
  • Options
    egirl1025 said:

I find that this comes and goes for me, but I feel it the most in the time right after I pump and in that time when I should start pumping.  Never lasts long enough for me to take something though.
    You know what...now that you mention it, I did pump one late night randomly. That could definitely explain it. I totally forgot that I did that!
  • Options
    I do think the pumping makes it worse but sometimes it just feels like it hurts randomly. Just an ache. Blah.
  • Options
    I do think the pumping makes it worse but sometimes it just feels like it hurts randomly. Just an ache. Blah.
    Yes it is always fun to randomly grab your boob in public with a look of agony.  People just don't get it... Making milk HERE!!!  WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
  • Options
    I have this burning sensation surrounding my boob like chest rib areas when I sleep it's so weird. It hurts so bad it wakes me up I never had that with DS. 
    Hey do you ladies drink real coffee or decaf? I'd gotten used to decaf while pregnanct and just continued to drink it because I read somewhere it could increase colic/gas and also keep baby up. Yesterday I was in desperate need drank a real cup of coffee and LO napped 3 hrs I had to wake her. I felt like I was on crack got my whole house clean during that nap! 
  • Options
    Tips on softening engorged breasts before LO latches on?  This morning he went about 6+ hours at night and I was hurting so bad that after he ate from the good side (he has a side he naturally latches better to) to had to pump.  Thing is that I'm trying to get my oversupply under control and pumping would just make it worse wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Tips on softening engorged breasts before LO latches on?  This morning he went about 6+ hours at night and I was hurting so bad that after he ate from the good side (he has a side he naturally latches better to) to had to pump.  Thing is that I'm trying to get my oversupply under control and pumping would just make it worse wouldn't it?
    Just pump enough to relieve the engorgement.  I generally just toss this milk since it is pretty watery.
  • Options
    @adiaz132003 You could hand express just enough to relieve the discomfort. I have done this a few times in the middle of the night. I just stand over the sink rather than getting out all of the pumping equipment. There is also a product called Milkies milk savers that catches whatever you leak from whatever side LO isn't feeding on so you can save it. Sometimes I find that the amount I leak is just enough to make me comfortable until the next feeding.
  • Options
    I would pump for less than 5 minutes, it'll give you relief and make your boobs softer. Plus latching couldn't be easier on nipples after pumping, they're huge!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I have the same problem in the middle of the night and just use a hand pump to get like an ounce off. Takes like 1 min and LO isn't a gassy or gagging so for me it's a bit brained. I doubt pumping that little will really make things that much worse. I also usually toss the milk unless I have a couple ounces of fatty hindmilk to add to it.
  • Options
    I have the same problem in the middle of the night and just use a hand pump to get like an ounce off. Takes like 1 min and LO isn't a gassy or gagging so for me it's a bit brained. I doubt pumping that little will really make things that much worse. I also usually toss the milk unless I have a couple ounces of fatty hindmilk to add to it.
     Yeah I was thinking about a hand pump but DS likes to be fed right away or he gets upset haha but it's better than having a gassy baby or milk soaked sheets.
  • Options
    This is more of a pumping question, but my right boob feels like it gets engorged more easily, produces more and never really empties whether pumping or Bf no matter how long I go.

What, if anything, can I do to even out production? I'll add that my right boob is noticably bigger than the left and I don't want to be lopsided.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    purplefan1purplefan1 member
    edited July 2016
    meggyme said:
    This is more of a pumping question, but my right boob feels like it gets engorged more easily, produces more and never really empties whether pumping or Bf no matter how long I go.

What, if anything, can I do to even out production? I'll add that my right boob is noticably bigger than the left and I don't want to be lopsided.
    It seems as though information out there says one boob is often bigger and has more milk than the other. I've seen on a couple of other comments about this (and on Kelly mom.com and other sites) that the recommendation is to reduce some stimulation to that breast so it will hopefully stop overproducing. Don't lump until you feel "drained", pump until you are not engorged or are comfortable again. Hand express or hand pump a bit to relieve pressure. 

The more you work to empty your breast, the more you are cueing to your breast that more milk is required. So it keeps making more. And the breasts are never empty or completely drained. There is always milk in them.

Also, some of the sites that talk about one breast being bigger than the other day that after breastfeeding they go back to a more normal state. But I know that even prebreastfeeding one of mine was bigger (noticeably to me) than the other.

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/

Eta link
  • Options
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Is anyone else have a painful let down? I find that when my little one latches on I get a stabbing pain deep in my nipple on the side she's nursing on and on the other side as well. When my husband gives her a bottle and I skip a session and go four hours, at the 2 hour mark when I normally nurse her I'll get the stabbing pain in both of my nipples as well. It even happened last night while we were out to eat to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary.  I made a pretty awkward face the middle of dinner as my boobs started aching. It doesn't last very long, usually no longer than a minute but it is quite uncomfortable. Everything I've read sounds like it could be an infection or something that I'll grow out of but I'm nearing the two months mark and I definitely don't have an infection (I had mastitis previously though). I also read somewhere that women with large breasts might just have to deal with this although I'm hoping this isn't the case.
  • Options
    arteduc8 said:
    Is anyone else have a painful let down? I find that when my little one latches on I get a stabbing pain deep in my nipple on the side she's nursing on and on the other side as well. When my husband gives her a bottle and I skip a session and go four hours, at the 2 hour mark when I normally nurse her I'll get the stabbing pain in both of my nipples as well. It even happened last night while we were out to eat to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary.  I made a pretty awkward face the middle of dinner as my boobs started aching. It doesn't last very long, usually no longer than a minute but it is quite uncomfortable. Everything I've read sounds like it could be an infection or something that I'll grow out of but I'm nearing the two months mark and I definitely don't have an infection (I had mastitis previously though). I also read somewhere that women with large breasts might just have to deal with this although I'm hoping this isn't the case.

Mine do. I also have a fast letdown so when he latches on after a minute it hurts pretty bad as the flow starts.
  • Options
    arteduc8 said:

Mine do. I also have a fast letdown so when he latches on after a minute it hurts pretty bad as the flow starts.
    Hmm, I don't think I have a fast let down unless I'm really engorged if I skip a feeding. I guess I'm just hoping I'll grow out of this and it's just a phase. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    I have a fast letdown as well and when it happens I feel a prickly tingly sensation in both breasts, it's the weirdest feeling. It doesn't hurt but I imagine that some women feel the letdown differently than others. 
  • Options
    arteduc8 said:
    Yes to all of this.  My boobs routinely tingle and sometimes let down is more painful than others.  Generally it seems to depend on how long it had been since he fed on that particular boob and how much it was drained during the last feeding.  If I pump one side completely it is kind of sore afterwards for a bit and I can get some stabby feelings in my breast.  I do have some pretty large breasts.  Pre-Baby they were 34G... Definitely bigger now.
  • Options
    egirl1025 said:
    arteduc8 said:
    Yes to all of this.  My boobs routinely tingle and sometimes let down is more painful than others.  Generally it seems to depend on how long it had been since he fed on that particular boob and how much it was drained during the last feeding.  If I pump one side completely it is kind of sore afterwards for a bit and I can get some stabby feelings in my breast.  I do have some pretty large breasts.  Pre-Baby they were 34G... Definitely bigger now.
    Oh and I have a super heavy let down too.  I have tried all kinds of stuff to regulate, but now that I am back to work, i have to pump regularly... That probably ruins it...i don't know.  I feel bad for women who cannot produce any or enough milk, but I seriously do everything wrong to keep up my supply and the milk just keeps coming.  
  • Options
    rbfleirbflei member
    I get the same thing pain right as I start feeding the let down is killer as I have large breasts. I think I just have to get used to it. The part that kills me is the wave of nausea I get most of the time when I start feeding. It last anywhere from 2 min to 10min but is reminiscent of first trimester but only when she latches or I pump. Does anyone else experience this too?
  • Options
    I get the same thing pain right as I start feeding the let down is killer as I have large breasts. I think I just have to get used to it. The part that kills me is the wave of nausea I get most of the time when I start feeding. It last anywhere from 2 min to 10min but is reminiscent of first trimester but only when she latches or I pump. Does anyone else experience this too?
    I was getting waves of nausea the first couple of weeks but not so much any more. I attribute it to the surge of hormones.

Random: I started worrying tonight because I never really leak breastmilk. I had it in my head I would have to wear breast pads all of the time and leak often. I wear them some times "just in case" but ive only leaked randomly once (at the breakfast table. still no clue why) and the other two times I leaked was during feeding and she was compressing the one she wasn't on. So I (of course) googled to see whether not leaking was a sign of a problem. I'm lame.
  • Options
    I stopped bfing and pumping about 3 weeks ago because my supply had completely tanked and it was stressing both me and DD almost to an extreme. 2 days ago, I noticed Lefty was leaking as I was bathing DD. I decided to contact my LC and she suggested to break the pump back out of the closet, and pump every day, regardless if i get anything at first. So, wish us luck and send quick healing thoughts for my nipples!
    Good Luck!!!