June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• @HeartLikeMine3 I would be super frustrated. Why didn't she just call you or text you if baby was that upset or if she had a question?
  • For the past 2 days my son has had trouble nursing. It seems to mostly be in the late afternoon and evening. I will tryto nurse and after the first gulp, he will start wailing and crying. It happenson both breasts. I can't figure out what the dealio is. I haven't changed my diet (dairy free) and am giving him his meds per usual. He is fine during the night and in the morning. Maybe it is part of the witching hour and just a new addition to it? I just worry because he will go for longer durations between feeds because of it (went from 2-3hr intervals in the morning  & early afternoon to 5hr in the late afternoon/evening). He also brcomes inconsolable once the crying starts. I dunno what's going on andethought I would see what you all thought.

He has an appt tomorrow with the pediatrician for a follow up so I plan to bring this up too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • So I need to vent!!! And you breastfeeding moms are the only ones who will relate. My mom never gets any time with LO because my DS is obsessed with her and won't let her hold LO and she spends all her time with him (fine with me). So she asked me to come spend time with LO and I took DS to get ice cream and run some errands. I nursed LO twice before I left and was only gone 1.5 hrs. I told my mom she's very tiered but won't need to eat while I'm gone. I get home to two bags of defrosted breastmilk and my mom saying she wouldn't take the bottle, I'm so freaking frustrated that 1.) she wasted BM and 2.) she didn't listen to me. She's supposed to watch LO when I go back to work(just two days a week) in September. I'm grateful to have free childcare but if she won't listen I might as well hire someone. Ahhhh wasted breastmilk makes me stabby!
    Totally understand your frustration! Even wasting an ounce of BM makes me sad .
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • For the past 2 days my son has had trouble nursing. It seems to mostly be in the late afternoon and evening. I will tryto nurse and after the first gulp, he will start wailing and crying. It happenson both breasts. I can't figure out what the dealio is. I haven't changed my diet (dairy free) and am giving him his meds per usual. He is fine during the night and in the morning. Maybe it is part of the witching hour and just a new addition to it? I just worry because he will go for longer durations between feeds because of it (went from 2-3hr intervals in the morning  & early afternoon to 5hr in the late afternoon/evening). He also brcomes inconsolable once the crying starts. I dunno what's going on andethought I would see what you all thought.

He has an appt tomorrow with the pediatrician for a follow up so I plan to bring this up too. 
    Oh no! I wonder what's going on. Did you eat anything new at all? Work out and we're still sweaty? Use lanolin or anything else in your nipples?
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • @HeartLikeMine3 I would be super frustrated. Why didn't she just call you or text you if baby was that upset or if she had a question?
    The crazy part is she said "well she wasn't crying but she fussed a little." Really that's what babies do. Anyways I've gotta have a talk with her wastes breastmilk will ruin or relationship lol... Thanks for the support I was staring to feel crazy! 
  • Sounds like for some reason she just really wanted to hold baby and feed a bottle. Annoying she wouldn't listen!
  • @vintagevix2016 mine does this lately and I can never figure out what has her so upset. She just randomly loses her mind and sobs. The only thing that makes it better is holding her up on my shoulder and patting her back. Once I get her calmed down I try to feed her again and it usually works.

Oh no! I wonder what's going on. Did you eat anything new at all? Work out and we're still sweaty? Use lanolin or anything else in your nipples?
    The only workout I get these days is our walks with the stroller but we didn't get to do that today. I don't use anything on my nipples except during the night (and I've been bad about it at night lately) and he hasn't had any issues with the night feedings. As for eating anything new, I have a pretty routine diet these days, boring actually. My breakfast is the same that it's always been since going dairy free. Lunch was nothing new as well. Dinner could be a possibility maybe, I made a squash and heirloom tomato pasta dish. No dairy but it was something new. I've eaten tomato based foods without having this kind of reaction but maybe he hates squash? Beats me!
  • So I need to vent!!! And you breastfeeding moms are the only ones who will relate. My mom never gets any time with LO because my DS is obsessed with her and won't let her hold LO and she spends all her time with him (fine with me). So she asked me to come spend time with LO and I took DS to get ice cream and run some errands. I nursed LO twice before I left and was only gone 1.5 hrs. I told my mom she's very tiered but won't need to eat while I'm gone. I get home to two bags of defrosted breastmilk and my mom saying she wouldn't take the bottle, I'm so freaking frustrated that 1.) she wasted BM and 2.) she didn't listen to me. She's supposed to watch LO when I go back to work(just two days a week) in September. I'm grateful to have free childcare but if she won't listen I might as well hire someone. Ahhhh wasted breastmilk makes me stabby!

Stuck in box
    Ughhhh that's so frustrating! Honestly the one positive part of my LO rejecting the bottle now is things like this don't happen for now. I was so stressed out in the beginning trying to keep my supply up, esp using the nipple shield, and well meaning people would try to help me by giving her a bottle when I was napping  (thinking they were doing me a favor by giving me a break). DH was the worst offender! I didn't flip out bc he was trying to be helpful but I had to nicely tell him that his good intentions were sabotaging my BF efforts and he listened. I told him I'd rather be awakened if he's not sure.
    My mom hasn't done that to me but I could definitely see it happening bc she too keeps trying to make things easier for me and she's not familiar with BFing. But she came with me to my first LC appt so she understood that it's a delicate balance btw mommy and baby and to follow my directions! Maybe a similar (calm) convo with your mom would help?
  • @vintagevix2016 mine does this lately and I can never figure out what has her so upset. She just randomly loses her mind and sobs. The only thing that makes it better is holding her up on my shoulder and patting her back. Once I get her calmed down I try to feed her again and it usually works.
    He usually calms down a bit when I walk with him up by my shoulder too but the moment I try to feed him again, he's back to wailing. Last night I ended up putting him to bed without nursing anywhere near bedtime (I usually nurse right before putting him down or no later than an hour before). He slept just fine and when he did wake, he nursed without issue. I did the same thing tonight, put him to bed even though his last feed was a couple of hours prior. 
  • I checked with Dr. Google and wonder if he has a swallowing issue. He has always choked a bit while feeding and gasped for air right after feeds (sometimes during feeds too). I have mentioned it to my LC and doc previously and neither seemed worried. It was chalked up to my fast letdown and him drinking too fast. Adjusting the nursing position doesn't help though and burping during feeds doesn't either. I've tried stopping the feeding session to express a bit until the flow slows but haven't seen a change. I feel terrible that I haven't been more diligent about looking into it. I wonder if his timing is off when he swallows and as a result, some liquid is getting in his airways. Perhaps I'm now seeing him just getting fed up over it and that's why he is reacting this way to nursing. He's super relaxed and/or sleepy when I have calm nursing sessions with him, so that could be why he isn't bothered.

I dunno, feels like I'm grasping at straws. Maybe I'm totally overthinking it and he is just being fussy.

We had a day like this recently. S was pretty disinterested in nursing. Then in the afternoon he had a total meltdown, hadn't eaten in several hours, but still would not nurse. What worked for us was to swaddle him and get him to sleep. Then I held him right near my chest and several minutes after falling asleep he half woke up and started eating. It was like he was too upset to eat and he needed to fall asleep and sort of reset. It was such a stressful day, I'm sorry you're going through it. Hopefully it is just a short phase for you!
  • Anyone have experience with a plugged duct? LO went 2 long stretches last night (usually we only get 1 3+ hour stretch) and I woke up with a painful lump in my left breast. Kellymom says sleep schedule changes and sleeping on my stomach could be causes - dang it! Especially the sleeping on the stomach piece since I missed that so much with pregnancy.

Any advice other than rest, heat, massage and frequent nursing on that side? I am nervous this will progress to mastitis and annoyed that I can't enjoy my LO's good night of sleep! 
  • I checked with Dr. Google and wonder if he has a swallowing issue. He has always choked a bit while feeding and gasped for air right after feeds (sometimes during feeds too). I have mentioned it to my LC and doc previously and neither seemed worried. It was chalked up to my fast letdown and him drinking too fast. Adjusting the nursing position doesn't help though and burping during feeds doesn't either. I've tried stopping the feeding session to express a bit until the flow slows but haven't seen a change. I feel terrible that I haven't been more diligent about looking into it. I wonder if his timing is off when he swallows and as a result, some liquid is getting in his airways. Perhaps I'm now seeing him just getting fed up over it and that's why he is reacting this way to nursing. He's super relaxed and/or sleepy when I have calm nursing sessions with him, so that could be why he isn't bothered.

I dunno, feels like I'm grasping at straws. Maybe I'm totally overthinking it and he is just being fussy.
    STUCK

any possibility he has a lip or tongue tie? Choking while feeding is a common symptom. 
  • Rawa1416 said:
    I checked with Dr. Google and wonder if he has a swallowing issue. He has always choked a bit while feeding and gasped for air right after feeds (sometimes during feeds too). I have mentioned it to my LC and doc previously and neither seemed worried. It was chalked up to my fast letdown and him drinking too fast. Adjusting the nursing position doesn't help though and burping during feeds doesn't either. I've tried stopping the feeding session to express a bit until the flow slows but haven't seen a change. I feel terrible that I haven't been more diligent about looking into it. I wonder if his timing is off when he swallows and as a result, some liquid is getting in his airways. Perhaps I'm now seeing him just getting fed up over it and that's why he is reacting this way to nursing. He's super relaxed and/or sleepy when I have calm nursing sessions with him, so that could be why he isn't bothered.

STUCK

any possibility he has a lip or tongue tie? Choking while feeding is a common symptom. 
    He has a very mild one. We haven't had issues with it before tho. That's not to say that a problem can't develop.
  • jmd921154 said:
    Anyone have experience with a plugged duct? LO went 2 long stretches last night (usually we only get 1 3+ hour stretch) and I woke up with a painful lump in my left breast. Kellymom says sleep schedule changes and sleeping on my stomach could be causes - dang it! Especially the sleeping on the stomach piece since I missed that so much with pregnancy.

Any advice other than rest, heat, massage and frequent nursing on that side? I am nervous this will progress to mastitis and annoyed that I can't enjoy my LO's good night of sleep! 
    All the things you mentioned are awesome for getting rid of a blocked duct. I also pump a couple of times when i get them because I can massage easier when I'm pumping. 

If you're baby starts going longer at night your supply should adjust and realize you don't need as much at night and you won't feel so engorged. Also sad about the sleeping on the stomach thing.  :-(
  • jmd921154 said:
    Anyone have experience with a plugged duct? LO went 2 long stretches last night (usually we only get 1 3+ hour stretch) and I woke up with a painful lump in my left breast. Kellymom says sleep schedule changes and sleeping on my stomach could be causes - dang it! Especially the sleeping on the stomach piece since I missed that so much with pregnancy.

The only other advice I liked was hold LO so to point the baby's chin to the plug it helps them help you.
  • So I think my supply is finally regulating.  I'm not getting crazy engorged in the middle of the night and this morning I pumped after a feeding (he only ate from one side) and got a total of 4oz which, as I understand it, is the average. Yay!
  • annaf2011 said:
    For the past 2 days my son has had trouble nursing. It seems to mostly be in the late afternoon and evening. I will tryto nurse and after the first gulp, he will start wailing and crying. It happenson both breasts. I can't figure out what the dealio is. I haven't changed my diet (dairy free) and am giving him his meds per usual. He is fine during the night and in the morning. Maybe it is part of the witching hour and just a new addition to it? I just worry because he will go for longer durations between feeds because of it (went from 2-3hr intervals in the morning  & early afternoon to 5hr in the late afternoon/evening). He also brcomes inconsolable once the crying starts. I dunno what's going on andethought I would see what you all thought.

We had a day like this recently. S was pretty disinterested in nursing. Then in the afternoon he had a total meltdown, hadn't eaten in several hours, but still would not nurse. What worked for us was to swaddle him and get him to sleep. Then I held him right near my chest and several minutes after falling asleep he half woke up and started eating. It was like he was too upset to eat and he needed to fall asleep and sort of reset. It was such a stressful day, I'm sorry you're going through it. Hopefully it is just a short phase for you!
    I brought this up with the ped. at today's appt and she said that it's likely linked to his reflux problem. She gave me a prescription for Zantac so we'll see if that makes a difference. She checked his ears for infection and they were both just fine. She also listened to his breathing and checked his heart rate, all good. There's no fluid in his lungs either. She did mention that there is a small possibility he may need more than just breastmilk, that he isn't satisfied with it so that's why he's pushing away. Her recommendation was to give him a teaspoon of cooked rice either in the morning or evening. She's leaving that up to us to decide if/when we want to do that though.
  • jmd921154 said:

All the things you mentioned are awesome for getting rid of a blocked duct. I also pump a couple of times when i get them because I can massage easier when I'm pumping. 

If you're baby starts going longer at night your supply should adjust and realize you don't need as much at night and you won't feel so engorged. Also sad about the sleeping on the stomach thing.  :-(
    Thank you! I was able to get most of it out this afternoon thank goodness. So painful though!
  • jmd921154 said:

I spent the whole pregnancy saying, "I can't wait until I can sleep on my stomach again!" not knowing that I really couldn't do that while breastfeeding either. Some day....some day.
  • @vintagevix2016 yet another thing I feel lied to about is the stomach sleeping. I used to build pillow forts for my stomach so I could still sleep on my stomach. Now i have to do the same for my boobs. Blech.
  • This kid...this flippin' kid...avoids the boob every chance he gets today, then tonight nurses for a solid 15mins and comfort sucks for another 15mins. Craziness!
  • This kid...this flippin' kid...avoids the boob every chance he gets today, then tonight nurses for a solid 15mins and comfort sucks for another 15mins. Craziness!

Me thinks they do this to us to test the strength of our wills. Lol  Bright side, he's eating! 

Me thinks they do this to us to test the strength of our wills. Lol  Bright side, he's eating! 
    I definitely breathed a sigh of relief! He was pretty good to me this evening so overall we ended the day on a good note.
  • So DD has been really finicky while nursing lately. She'll start eating for a couple minutes, come off the boob so I leak everywhere (so I doubt it's because she's not getting anything) and then cry because she's hungry. Usually I try burping her at that point, but most of the time I don't get anything out of her. I try to pin her down when she starts to squirm but I feel like I'm force feeding her and she usually still wiggles off. Any thoughts?
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    So DD has been really finicky while nursing lately. She'll start eating for a couple minutes, come off the boob so I leak everywhere (so I doubt it's because she's not getting anything) and then cry because she's hungry. Usually I try burping her at that point, but most of the time I don't get anything out of her. I try to pin her down when she starts to squirm but I feel like I'm force feeding her and she usually still wiggles off. Any thoughts?
    Me too! That's so strange, this just started for me today. I think she may be using me as a pacifier because eventually she falls asleep (with breastmilk dripping down her chin).
  • meggyme said:
    So DD has been really finicky while nursing lately. She'll start eating for a couple minutes, come off the boob so I leak everywhere (so I doubt it's because she's not getting anything) and then cry because she's hungry. Usually I try burping her at that point, but most of the time I don't get anything out of her. I try to pin her down when she starts to squirm but I feel like I'm force feeding her and she usually still wiggles off. Any thoughts?
    Does she seem to be in pain or uncomfortable? My son just went through the same thing and the ped. seemed to feel he was either uncomfortable due to his reflux acting up or he isn't satisfied with just breastmilk and may need more to fill him up so that was his way of telling me. It only lasted a couple of days though and he's been nursing fine today (we also just started Zantac). I noticed that he was easier to nurse during that period if he had just woken up. If he was fully alert then we'd have a bad time.
  • meggyme said:

DS did this when my letdown was really heavy and I was super engorged.  It was overwhelming for him so he'd pop off and cry and I'd have to wait for the flow to stop before I could put him back on.  Was it just some dripping or full on spray?
  • meggyme said:

DS did this when my letdown was really heavy and I was super engorged.  It was overwhelming for him so he'd pop off and cry and I'd have to wait for the flow to stop before I could put him back on.  Was it just some dripping or full on spray?
    I can't tell you how many times I've sprayed my son right in the face. Whoooops!
  • meggyme said:

I can't tell you how many times I've sprayed my son right in the face. Whoooops!

Lol one time I didn't notice he came off right away and I looked down and he face was soaked!!!  Poor guy. 
  • @adiaz132003 it's usually just a few drops, but enough that I have started tucking a burp rag into my bra before feeding her. It's usually at the beginning of the nursing session and sometimes she'll do it the whole time and other times she'll settle down.

@vintagevix2016 she doesn't seem like she's in pain, but maybe uncomfortable. I thought it might be gas and have been stopping to burp her when she does it, but it doesn't seem to help much.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • My LO has started pulling on and off the boob as well it's almost like it's just a new skill like look what I can do. 
    So everytime I give LO a pumped bottle before bed she sleeps a lot longer. Last night she only drank a 3oz bottle before bed and then I pumped in place of it and got almost 5 oz so it's not like she's not getting enough so weird. She's also refused to drink a bottle from DH but will happily take it from me. 
  • How old do you think my LO will have to be before my heavy let down won't choke him to death??  We are travelling, by plane WI to OR, right around his 4 month b-day, 6 days total, and I really have no idea how I am going to make it all work, especially if the breastfeeding is as tormenting as it is right now.  I have to time everything just right or else it is just a fiasco of pulling off and crying, either because the milk isn't coming fast enough or the milk is drowning him.  I guess feeding him a bottle would work on the plane just as well as him eating off the breast...but the trip is long with the layover and I would need to pump at a minimum once and ensure that his milk stays cold enough.  I am considering getting a hand pump for on the plane...
  • egirl1025 said:
    How old do you think my LO will have to be before my heavy let down won't choke him to death??  We are travelling, by plane WI to OR, right around his 4 month b-day, 6 days total, and I really have no idea how I am going to make it all work, especially if the breastfeeding is as tormenting as it is right now.  I have to time everything just right or else it is just a fiasco of pulling off and crying, either because the milk isn't coming fast enough or the milk is drowning him.  I guess feeding him a bottle would work on the plane just as well as him eating off the breast...but the trip is long with the layover and I would need to pump at a minimum once and ensure that his milk stays cold enough.  I am considering getting a hand pump for on the plane...
    Preston is 2 months and the past two weeks he's been able to handle it better though he still has to gulp and ends up swallowing air.
  • Ok so before, I had a big oversupply issue (tough life right?) And I could pump a total of 8-9oz every 3 hours or so.  Perfect for building a freezer stash.  Well I used up small stash I was starting, maybe 10 bottles worth cause the supply was such and issue I was told not to pump for a while.  Well, now I shot myself in the foot.  My supply has regulated AND Preston eats from both breasts most times expect the morning and MOTN so I try and pump after those feedings. Issue is I only get maybe 2oz.  Not enough for a single feed.  So I also pump after his last feeding so I don't get engorged in the night and I may only get an extra 1/2oz per side.  So the only way I'd get enough for a feeding is if I skipped one and gave him a bottle but then I'm just replacing the bottle we are using so how am I supposed to build a stash?  

Amazing isn't it? First I complain about having too much, now not enough. Lol
  • Ok so before, I had a big oversupply issue (tough life right?) And I could pump a total of 8-9oz every 3 hours or so.  Perfect for building a freezer stash.  Well I used up small stash I was starting, maybe 10 bottles worth cause the supply was such and issue I was told not to pump for a while.  Well, now I shot myself in the foot.  My supply has regulated AND Preston eats from both breasts most times expect the morning and MOTN so I try and pump after those feedings. Issue is I only get maybe 2oz.  Not enough for a single feed.  So I also pump after his last feeding so I don't get engorged in the night and I may only get an extra 1/2oz per side.  So the only way I'd get enough for a feeding is if I skipped one and gave him a bottle but then I'm just replacing the bottle we are using so how am I supposed to build a stash?  

It always seems to be something, right? I just can't find a good moment to pump unless I do it while he sleeps at night so I don't have interruptions. I try to pump right after he goes down for a nap since I've usually just fed him.

Is it okay to pump a few times a day, adding each pump to one saver bag/bottle/whatever rather than putting the milk in separate containers after each pump? I just mean over the span of 1 day of course.

I was going to ask a similar question on this forum! I can get a decent amount if I pump after the motn feedings because LO goes longer in between those and breasts are more full. Would that help you?

But during the day I am afraid to pump after feedings bc she sometimes cluster feeds and sometimes she's hungry roo soon after I pumped. So i'm interested in what the other mamas do?

It always seems to be something, right? I just can't find a good moment to pump unless I do it while he sleeps at night so I don't have interruptions. I try to pump right after he goes down for a nap since I've usually just fed him.

Is it okay to pump a few times a day, adding each pump to one saver bag/bottle/whatever rather than putting the milk in separate containers after each pump? I just mean over the span of 1 day of course

stuck in the box:
      This is what I do if I don't get enough for a full bottle or, on the very rare occasion, pump a little more than what I estimate she needs for a complete feed.  I consulted a long-time breastfeeding and very well researched friend and she said there should be no problem with it.