July 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion Thursday

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday

• Options
    edited June 2016
    @elenabrent it seems like this has become a semantic argument about the word "control" no one is saying that children need to be made to flow excessively harsh demands. All that I'm saying is to say "Oh, kids are impossible to control" as an excuse for everything that goes wrong, for me, doesn't cut it. 

Did this mom do everything she could to protect her kiddo? Don't know. But I don't think it makes sense to just assume that she did and let it go at that. I'm not saying she should be drawn and quartered or made to wear a scarlet letter around town. I'm just saying it makes sense to investigate and make sure she wasn't negligent before automatically declaring her blameless.

And there is a big difference between "micromanaging" your kid and controlling your kid sufficiently to ensure that he doesn't fall into a silverback gorilla enclosure. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ESchreinerWrites I don't actually think this is semantics, because I disagree with your point. I agree that the "kids have a mind of their own" or worse "boys will be boys" are obnoxious when used as excuses for kids not behaving in public. However, I think there's a HUGE gap between "that woman should have been controlling her kid" and what I consider to be the reality, which is that accidents happen and kids can slip away from even the most diligent parent. 

• Options
    @ESchreinerWrites - How do you expect the mom to be held responsible (because she should've controlled her child better) if you don't think she necessarily needs to be charged if she did her due diligence? Don't you think that the guilt that she feels over the entire thing punishment enough?  The family even asked that people donate to the zoo in the gorilla's name when asked how people could help.  Not once did they say it was the zoo's fault for what happened to their child.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but it sounded like you contradicted yourself.  Also, how are children going to learn to be responsible if you don't give them the chance?  You can't control them every second of every day and they will make mistakes... that's how they learn.  We as parents work hard to instill these qualities but things happen. You can't keep your kids in a box and avoid situations just because the potential of something happening is there, they will never learn or grow.  Also, the zoo enclosures pass safety standards in order to be AZA accredited but they are reopening the exhibit with a higher barrier (there are two barriers to get into the exhibit and this is referring to the one where the people are standing).  The police have concluded their investigation but I don't believe they have released that information yet.  Again, none of us were there... who are we to judge?  
  • Options
    @elenabrent okay. Then it's not a semantic argument. If you take offense to that as well

My question is how do you know that this parent was being diligent?
  • Options
    I find it hilarious when people who rarely contribute to the community come in to stir the pot. 
  • Options
    @Backbypopulardemand exactly the reason I rarely contribute -- the exclusionary attitude of some posters. (Just because someone doesn't post here often should not mean they are any less welcome to do so.)

There is a difference between having a discussion and stirring the pot. 

The entire purpose of this thread is to state and discuss unpopular opinions. That is what I am doing. 
  • Options
    Yeah, but it's Friday now.  
  • Options
    allthingscozyallthingscozy member
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, but it's Friday now.  
    Exactly.. and it isnt exclusive.  It is just a little ridiculous that you choose now to post but dont post support when members of the community have real problems such as PTL or different health scares but a random story on the UO board is what brings you out... maybe if people actually offered support instead of random tidbits the day after the daily thread has passed they would come across better... 
  • Options
    YeezusButtersYeezusButters member
    edited June 2016
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Options
    @YeezusButters  I wish I could unsee that!
    July BMB 2016 July siggy challenge

• Options
    @givemepenguinss so now this is another rule? You can't post to this thread on Friday? And on Wednesdays, do we wear pink?

It is exclusionary when you set all these unstated rules. I am pregnant with a child due in July. As far as I knew, that was the requirement for participation in this board. If there are more criteria, it would be helpful if you posted a rubric or something. 
  • Options
    I find it hilarious when people who rarely contribute to the community come in to stir the pot. 
    Meh. I see your point, but the poster came with an actual UO, so right place, almost right time (it was posted Friday...). They say opinions are like a**holes; this just happened to be the "PP, 3 degree up and down lac, with thrombus H, owned by fister lady from the day before" edition. So much hubris. 
  • Options
    I agree it's time to let Thursday's thread die, but I agree with you on that @PootsDragon. I'm anti-zoo. That's my FFFC! I'll take it over there.

• Options
    @Tatiana616 completely agree with your assertion about opinions. I was not previously aware that day of the week threads were good for one day and one day only. Now that I know, I'll modify my practice. Or, more likely, just go back to not posting to avoid getting chastised.
  • Options
    July BMB 2016 July siggy challenge

• Options
    @Tatiana616 completely agree with your assertion about opinions. I was not previously aware that day of the week threads were good for one day and one day only. Now that I know, I'll modify my practice. Or, more likely, just go back to not posting to avoid getting chastised.

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Options
    I just want to see the picture! 
  • Options
    WHAT THE? Are we really doing this again? 
  • Options
    WHAT THE? Are we really doing this again? 
    Apparently. :/
  • Options
    Apparently we are not allowed to have a UO thread.  So stupid.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16