July 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion Thursday

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My UO today: If you like to get freaky, save it for Friday confession on your board. Better yet, just save it. Ain't nobody happy to see that shiz pop in.
  • Options
    @YeezusButters why are they soooooooo expensive?!?! I would buy all of them. 

• Options
    Exactly @Weville ! Its all in the wording on the onesie. Some of them have really cute little sayings... others just make me cringe.
  • Options
    @Nerdchild I am the same way, I hate the character stuff. If my child down the road decides to like Mickey, okay then she can have all the Mickey stuff, but right now nice cute patterns or plain shirts please.  Someone bought a Winnie the Poo diaper bag, I left it at my parents house as the backup.
  • Options
    hreed7289 said:
    UO: I don't like the nursery thread.  It takes forever to load on both my desktop and phone, and both my computer and phone freak out when I try to open it.  I however hate the little yellow notifications next to the thread MORE, so I continue to open it. Ugh.
    YAS. YAS YAS YAS YAS!
  • Options
    I didn't say I hated all the onesies with text. There are most definitely exceptions.
    I know which ones you're talking about ;).

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Options
    @Backbypopulardemand Wait. What? Did I miss something? "Benefits" of having a fist up one's vagina??? There are benefits of that? No thank you. 
  • Options
    @PhoebeJune1984 - People are so quick to say how they would've reacted or what they would've done differently, but the fact is... no one really knows because it didn't happen to them.  The police are doing an investigation and I'm sure if they find that the mom was truly negligent, then charges will be filed.  That's their job, not mine.  Same goes with your example.  When people find out I was in a car accident last week, they ask if there were others involved.  As soon as I say 'no', then the judgment starts assuming that I was distracted, speeding, or just a bad driver.  Even the cop that responded said it's an awful part of road and accidents happen there all the time.  He even commended me on how well I kept the car under control because most people end up hitting a fire hydrant or down in the creek.  But people don't want to hear that... do I feel guilty? Yes.  But it happened and I can't change it.  Are there things that I wish I would've done differently? Yes, but again, I can't turn back time.  I don't want to be judged and neither does anyone involved in the zoo incident.  We weren't there, and didn't have to make those decisions.  This topic has been so hot this week with my group of FB friends and it makes me so upset that people are valuing an animal life over a child/person.  You can be upset about the death of the gorilla, but that doesn't and shouldn't take away that a child got hurt and the potential of a worse outcome was avoided.  I could really go on and on. 
  • Options
    It's making me ragey that this woman is getting annihilated by the media but not once is anyone saying shit about the father that was there too... 
    I heard the father wasn't present?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    My unpopular Cincy zoo opinion -- the parents should be held responsible. Name-calling is childish and unnecessary, but if you take on the responsibility of taking a child or children to the zoo you take on the responsibility of supervising them. I'm well aware that kids can move quickly and quite familiar with managing a large group (I'm the principal of a K-8 school and have personally chaperoned MANY zoo field trips) that said, you took the kid, you need to keep him under your control.
  • Options
    @elenabrent Children are entirely something you can control -- albeit doing so isn't easy. As a parent, it's about gauging risk and determining your ability to mitigate them. A zoo is obviously riskier than your family room. If you can't keep a kid safe in a riskier space, don't take him or her there. This exhibit has been largely unchanged for 30+ years, so this isn't a case of "Oh, well, it was super dangerous and kids fall in all the time." Despite the fact that millions of other children had been around the exhibit, NONE of them had suffered the same fate. Why? Because people were controlling their children. 
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @rnyland1 No one, myself included, is saying you can control your child at every time. However, when you are in a situation that is more dangerous than typical (I.e. in close proximity to a silverback gorilla) you need to be extra vigilant. Had this child been under the supervision of a daycare or school, you can bet your breeches everyone would be saying "oh, gosh, this place should be investigated!" Why shouldn't Mom be subject to the same scrutiny? 
  • Options
    @ESchreinerWritesI believe the police are investigating. I highly doubt the police will be able to charge these parents with any sort of crime, even negligence, if the situation appears to be truly accidental.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @mrsllove Quite aggressed. Goodness. Actually, I've been part of the community since I found out I was pregnant with my second child after a battle with infertility back in November. As you can see, I've posted before, though more often just read about others because, at times, I find responses -- like yours, unfortunately -- to be a bit aggressive and cliquish

That being said, yes. I have been around young children. I was a school teacher, am a principal, have a bachelors and masters in education and have a son of my own who is now 7. 

I just disagree with you. That is all.

Edited to add - wait, perhaps I misunderstood the first part of your message. In re-reading it appears you were identifying yourself as a lurker, not calling me one. Is that the case? If so, I apologize for taking offense to that section of your response.
  • Options
    @rnyland1 yeah, I heard that, too. Personally, I don't necessarily think she needs to be "charged" with anyhing (esspecially if investigation yields evidence that she really was doing her due diligence -- which I will totally allow is a possibility).

I think part of the challenge for me is in my professional role I continually see parents shirking all responsibility for, basically, everything, and trying to blame literally everyone else. I'm predisposed to feel this way, unfortunately