May 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 5/29

Re: Weekly Randoms 5/29

• Options

I think there were questions like this going on a while ago, but wondering what you guys think about doing anything a week after I give birth? I was invited to a bridal shower, and would love to go just for an hour or so, but it will be somewhere between 6-12 days postpartum. I don’t want to bring the baby since I think fending off a whole bridal shower full of baby-touching women might be difficult. So is this even a remote possibility - to leave baby at home for two hours at this point (the shower is about 25 minutes away)? My husband even offered to go with me and bring the baby so he can walk her around and come see me if necessary - would this make a difference or be helpful?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    VS2016 said:
    Just about everyone I introduce Nora to asks who she is named after.  When I tell them no one they are surprised and say it's a really old name.. I'm not concerned about it because I love it, but just curious if anyone else gets that question a lot when you just picked the name because you liked it. 
    When we tell people her name (Harper) we get alot of stares, like they are so confused. Nurse at the pedi office told me it was a "generic" name (after saying. "He" when she saw her all in pink!). Ummmm people get with it. Harper is the tenth most popular name for girls right now. 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Aaarrrgggghhhhh! So apparently I am only allowed to drive 6 weeks after my c-section?! That's crazy... Sure this can't be the norm? Ladies?

2 weeks for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    vinerie said:
    Anyone else's baby really struggle to pass gas or poop? Mine grimaces and gets all red in the face and really works at it. And then TOOT!!!  followed by complete relaxation. 
    Yes...and he woke me up this morning because his farts were so loud.
  • Options
    folamijfolamij member
    edited May 2016
    VS2016 said:
    Just about everyone I introduce Nora to asks who she is named after.  When I tell them no one they are surprised and say it's a really old name.. I'm not concerned about it because I love it, but just curious if anyone else gets that question a lot when you just picked the name because you liked it. 
    We always get questions for Aniyah's name as well.  Mostly how we came up with it, or how to pronounce it (Ah-nye-yah). We also have a lot of people who think we "made up" the name. We didnt. 
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    Back to swaddle questions... Who uses the woombie? Do you find it runs small? I'm still having issues feeling like I'm doing the Velcro ones right and am constantly checking that she hasn't broken free. Looking at reviews on Amazon on woombie and everyone comments it runs small. She currently is 22" and almost 9 pounds. Would you get the 0-3 month size? 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    clw617 said:
    I am seriously about to put a sign on the door that says 'new baby - please don't ring our doorbell!' Omg. And not even for the baby, he's oblivious to it, but if my 3yo is napping, that quiet time is precious to me and we have seriously had 3 unexpected visitors since he went for a nap an hour ago (who all rang our doorbell). Ayyeee please don't mess with my afternoon quiet time.
    This happened to me the other day! I had just gotten my 3 year old and DD2 down for a nap when someone rang my doorbell and made my dog go crazy! I know they were just trying to sell something and my neighborhood is specifically no soliciting allowed, so I was pretty pissed. Lucky for them I didn't make it downstairs before they left. 
  • Options
    Our birth month is almost over! :o
  • Options
    clw617 said:
    I am seriously about to put a sign on the door that says 'new baby - please don't ring our doorbell!' Omg. And not even for the baby, he's oblivious to it, but if my 3yo is napping, that quiet time is precious to me and we have seriously had 3 unexpected visitors since he went for a nap an hour ago (who all rang our doorbell). Ayyeee please don't mess with my afternoon quiet time

Toddler, newborn, 2 huge indoor dogs. I do have a sign up and disconnected the doorbell. It works too! :) 
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    tgortney said:
    Is anyone still pg??

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I swear Pollie waits to poop until we've just put a clean diaper on her. We change her and within two minutes we have to again 
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    The plan has been for me to stay home at least 6 months. I worked at a school so, I didn't renew my contract for next year but with the school year ending I'm still employed for the summer (big medical insurance win). 
    Anyway, I recently saw a dream job posting online and after talking it over with DH I'm applying. This may not workout because I may not be the best fit and/or they may want someone to start more soon than I can return to work but I want to try because this is a DREAM POSITION. Fx they like me and there's some flexibility in the start date.
    Can't turn down a dream job! Good luck :)

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    yogahh said:
    tgortney said:
    Is anyone still pg??
    Just checked out the Late May Due Date and Overdue club, surprisingly and unfortunately, yes :/ 
  • Options
    Really, really not happy right now. HR at work really messed up with this one... I got an email with my pay stub and noticed the amount of my check hadn't changed, which is wrong since I added LO to my insurance. I checked and they didn't take any of the new insurance stuff out. Also received a COBRA letter the other day. We asked them about that and they said it was 'routine'. Apparently someone messed up on my insurance and my coverage lapsed for a short time when I added LO and they didn't pay them for this next month either.

So now they're frantically calling around bc in the short lapse of time if not corrected I'm going to be responsible for a very large hospital bill and I'm going to lose coverage for me and LO. And I now have to write a check on my own time to take out the insurance money bc they forgot to do it themselves.

Just add your baby on the benefits portal they said... It's easy and there won't be any issues. Yeah. Of course this falls apart now too, bc nothing has gone according to plan. Just something else I have no time to deal with.
  • Options
    kami09kami09 member
    Chad from the Bachelorette is THE BEST!!!
  • Options
    I just did a Target outting. My husband wants me to get out of the house every day since I'm prone to anxiety and depression when I am unable to exercise. I went to Target only needing just a few things, but I left spending over $150. I think I need to find new outings, because a daily Target trip is going to get expensive. I don't even know what I got - some baby clothes, a back compression brace, some granola bars, pads. How the heck did I manage to spend so much?! I didn't even have a cart.

I love seeing how other women handle their kids in stores - especially where they put the car seat. So far, I've been using my Vista stroller which has plenty of space for shopping at the bottom. I don't want to put her (even in a car seat) in a cart until she has her shots, but watching how some women wedge their car seat in the upper part of the cart is terrifying to me. I also give full props to the mom carrying her infant with one hand, pushing a cart with the other, while two little ones follow behind her. There I am buying a back brace from just holding my baby to soothe her. I don't know how you STMs+more are making it right now. One is hard enough!
  • Options
    @dsmith211 that is so frustrating! I am so sorry you have to deal with the hassle-- not sure if you can put in a complaint, but I definitely would!
  • Options
    AliciaD39 said:
    @dsmith211 that is so frustrating! I am so sorry you have to deal with the hassle-- not sure if you can put in a complaint, but I definitely would!
    Oh a complaint is already made. They know I'm extremely unhappy about the situation and were extremely apologetic. Sadly though all I hear is excuses and people putting the blame on others. It's just another case of the complete lack of communication that goes on at my work. I wish people would just take responsibility for screwing up. I trust it will get taken care of - it better bc you better believe I'm not paying that hospital bill and work will have hell to pay if me or DS get dropped from insurance somehow.
  • Options
    @dsmith211 You have had such a hard time lately! I am so sorry you've had to deal with all of this now. I hope they can get it sorted out quickly! 
  • Options
    kami09 said:
    Chad from the Bachelorette is THE BEST!!!
    He cracks me up! I don't disagree with anything he's said but the other guys are so sensitive! 
  • Options
    Pascal86 said:
    tgortney said:
    yogahh said:
    tgortney said:
    Is anyone still pg??
    Just checked out the Late May Due Date and Overdue club, surprisingly and unfortunately, yes :/ 
    Shouldn't be too surprising - I mean, it's still May for the rest of today! But does feel unfortunate at this point, I see why a lot of late April ladies were here on the May board, it's a little sad to be part of a big support group and then watch everyone except a few of you move on to all the baby stuff. I just can't bring myself to go mix with a whole new group of ladies on the June board, so I'm waiting it out with you guys!
    I honestly thought I was going to be a late April mom for sure. Would have stayed with May anyway :) don't leave!
  • Options
    @That1didntcount and @tgortney Thanks guys! And I should clarify, I only thought about jumping into June so I could be on track with what's happening in the pregnancy, not because I don't love it here!
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    I'm 22 days pp and I think my period is coming back :( I thought I had more time until this started again!!

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    yogahh said:
    I'm 22 days pp and I think my period is coming back :( I thought I had more time until this started again!!
    I'm 1 month pp and I haven't even stopped bleeding yet  :s.  

Are you sure it's not pp bleeding happening because of increased activity? 
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    yogahh said:
    I'm 1 month pp and I haven't even stopped bleeding yet  :s.  

Are you sure it's not pp bleeding happening because of increased activity? 
    I'm getting cramps. Just like right before my period (and pooping more just like then too!). It's all the feels I typically get about 3-4 days before. Although I'm still bleeding too so if it goes come back, it shouldn't be that big of a hassle since I'm still using all my loot I stole from the hospital!! 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    @yogahh just reminded me of the bag I got from the hospital when she said LOOT. Gosh, it's a diaper bag filled with, well, diapers, all kinds of baby products, mommy magazines and mommy products (including pads and those weird panty yokes etc) and beanies etc. We also got a date night in the hospital (including candles with champagne for DH and I - very cute). Did you ladies in the US also get something similar?

Did the hospitals do anything like that for you? I am curious - I though it was a nice touch!! 
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    @yogahh just reminded me of the bag I got from the hospital when she said LOOT. Gosh, it's a diaper bag filled with, well, diapers, all kinds of baby products, mommy magazines and mommy products (including pads and those weird panty yokes etc) and beanies etc. We also got a date night in the hospital (including candles with champagne for DH and I - very cute). Did you ladies in the US also get something similar?

Did the hospitals do anything like that for you? I am curious - I though it was a nice touch!! 
    Wait what??? A date night? If we had that here in the states insurance would bill us out of the whazzo. Btw, what's your ML like where you are?

cat fail animated GIF

• Options

We got a bag of baby proofing things and a bag of books for LO. That's so great they gave you a date night!
  • Options
    yogahh said:

Wait what??? A date night? If we had that here in the states insurance would bill us out of the whazzo. Btw, what's your ML like where you are?
    Yes a date night!! 3 Course Meal and all!! 
    We are private medical aid though so go to private hospitals, the state hospitals are crappy here. 

ML - it depends on who you work for. Anything from 4 months unpaid (you can claim from the state but only a % of your salary) to 4 months paid (bigger companies). I got none (shhhhh) but am taking it slower and working on my own schedule. But that's because it's a family business. 

• Options
    Our hospital did a "date night" sort of thing where they delivered our dinner with a set table. Only they gave us sparkling cider rather than champagne. It was hospital food and not all that great, but we thought it was a very nice gesture. 
  • Options
    slfezzslfezz member
    I'm in the states and we had a free celebration dinner. The menu we could pick from was fancier than the normal menu (I had prime rib that wasn't too bad) and we could get wine if we wanted but no candles