August 2016 Moms

All things baby shower!

Post all things baby shower related here (concerns, photos, invites, ideas, etc). 
*TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
Benched 6 months 
BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

Re: All things baby shower!

• Loading the player...
  • @lucypod um yum that food looks amazing 
  • Me and my sister were talking about my sprinkle today and we toyed with the idea of a diaper raffle. Does a diaper raffle seem too gift grabby for a sprinkle?
  • @Lynnlove28 not at all! If anything, I think it makes more sense esp. since you may already have all the baby basics in terms of gear, furniture, etc. that you can reuse with this LO! Everyone bring a pack of diapers, have a good time over refreshing drinks (may not be booze)/food/whatever else all to enjoy & celebrate your upcoming arrival. Who wouldn't want that?! :)
  • Thanks to those who suggested I bring in sweets/fruits for my team that threw a surprise shower yesterday! I think I'll bring in cupcakes or Panera bagels & coffee on our next in-office day. 

But there were several who also got me additional gifts of their own, planned, and decorated the shower. I have a list of those who got me additional gifts and of course, ones who were behind it all for planning and executing such a delightful event. For these select individuals, I wanted to write more personal cards to each of them with something...I knew a coworker who gave out lotion and lip balm but not sure! Anything else as extra token of appreciation for these coworkers? :/
  • @AliKay20 you could give them each a tumbler cup, if that's what they're called, I think it is. They are super popular around here. 
  • tmk0325tmk0325 member
    AliKay20 said:
    Thanks to those who suggested I bring in sweets/fruits for my team that threw a surprise shower yesterday! I think I'll bring in cupcakes or Panera bagels & coffee on our next in-office day. 

But there were several who also got me additional gifts of their own, planned, and decorated the shower. I have a list of those who got me additional gifts and of course, ones who were behind it all for planning and executing such a delightful event. For these select individuals, I wanted to write more personal cards to each of them with something...I knew a coworker who gave out lotion and lip balm but not sure! Anything else as extra token of appreciation for these coworkers? :/
    Are they coffee drinkers? What about a Starbucks gift card in the card? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Great ideas @Lynnlove28 & @tmk0325!! Maybe even put sbucks cards in the cups! Thanks!! 
  • Samm116Samm116 member
    My baby shower is June 25th and I can't wait! We're doing a rustic baseball ballpark kind of theme. These are the invites and stuff we have planned so far 
    I love it.  DH and I met at the ballpark, wish I would have stumbled across this when my friends were planning my shower
  • @lucypod - super jealous! Doing a high-tea at a local tea-house was on the short list of places I gave my step-mom. I LOVE tea-themed showers! That one table cloth is amazing! Is it hand-embroidered? 
  • I'm really excited to start seeing baby showers/sprinkles posted since I need to vicariously live through the ladies who are having theirs soon. :) 
    *TW Spoiler*

11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    Benched 6 months 

• satto_takaisatto_takai member
    edited June 2016
    My MIL, Mamma, and sister are planning mine. We are thinking of doing a BBQ/Salmon Bake at a local park (since both MIL and Mamma have limited space and small yards), but wonder if people would be willing to pay the $5 per vehicle park entry fee to attend. MIL and Mamma both offered to allow people to park at their respective houses and carpool to reduce cost. We aren't so sure, though....

Were it a baby shower for someone you knew, would you pay the park fee to attend?

ETA: The main dishes/meal would be provided, as it is a 2-5p event.
  • @satto_takai  Yes, I would. But I'm very happy to attend baby showers.

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @satto_takai I would pay. I think it's really nice if you offer the carpool. If you haven't sent the invites you could just add a small slip of paper say to be at their house by a certain time and there will be a car pool. Then people could choose which they would rather do. I would pay the $5 personally though. 
  • @ramoseecology and @Hannah0726 -  Thank you for your kind responses. I was worried people would be like "What? I gotta PAY to go?" and not wanna go... Even though we are offering food, and an area where people aren't confined in one small space....  :(   You ladies have made me feel less worried! :)
  • SkiChic626SkiChic626 member
    edited June 2016
    My MIL, Mamma, and sister are planning mine. We are thinking of doing a BBQ/Salmon Bake at a local park (since both MIL and Mamma have limited space and small yards), but wonder if people would be willing to pay the $5 per vehicle park entry fee to attend. MIL and Mamma both offered to allow people to park at their respective houses and carpool to reduce cost. We aren't so sure, though....

Were it a baby shower for someone you knew, would you pay the park fee to attend?

I'd be pissed if I got to someone's party and was told I would have to pay to park.  I'd pay it, but I would be really salty about it the whole time.  The hosts should arrange to prepay for parking ahead of time if that's what you want to do.  In the grand scheme of things, paying $5/car is a lot cheaper than renting a hall.  I don't think a carpool is going to appeal to a lot of people, as people like to feel free to leave as needed from things like showers - I wouldn't want to feel trapped by waiting for someone to drive me back if I was ready to leave.  And not for nothing, but if I'm invited to a shower, or any type of party for that matter, I'm expecting to be fed, so that shouldn't be a factor IMO.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• My MIL, Mamma, and sister are planning mine. We are thinking of doing a BBQ/Salmon Bake at a local park (since both MIL and Mamma have limited space and small yards), but wonder if people would be willing to pay the $5 per vehicle park entry fee to attend. MIL and Mamma both offered to allow people to park at their respective houses and carpool to reduce cost. We aren't so sure, though....

I'd be pissed if I got to someone's party and was told I would have to pay to park.  I'd pay it, but I would be really salty about it the whole time.  The hosts should arrange to prepay for parking ahead of time if that's what you want to do.  In the grand scheme of things, paying $5/car is a lot cheaper than renting a hall.  I don't think a carpool is going to appeal to a lot of people, as people like to feel free to leave as needed from things like showers - I wouldn't want to feel trapped by waiting for someone to drive me back if I was ready to leave.  And not for nothing, but if I'm invited to a shower, or any type of party for that matter, I'm expecting to be fed, so that shouldn't be a factor IMO.
    I agree with @SkiChic626 I'd pre-pay for how many cars you expect will be there. It can be stressful enough getting a gift and driving to an unknown location on a weekend for a shower.  If I got there and had to pay for parking, I would be annoyed. 
    *TW Spoiler*

11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    Benched 6 months 

• If I knew before hand I had to pay for parking I wouldn't mind- 95% of parking is paid where I live so it isn't uncommon but, I rarely carry cash on me so, a heads up would be appreciated.  If I was a guest and had the choice, I would probly just do the carpool option though. 
  • edited June 2016
    @WinnieLou82 Love the derby theme! So cute!!!

I had my shower this past Saturday. It ended up being a really nice time. Due to my mom's health issues and MIL's lack of involvement, I helped my mom with most of the logistics. There were minimal decorations, but the ones we had were woodland animal themed. We got a lot of the big stuff we needed, which was super helpful. The one thing that we kept getting were a lot of jungle themed items since we had our wedding at a zoo. Thankfully, it is mostly clothes or stuffed animals so the zoo won't be overtaking our home ;)

ETA- No pictures as of yet. A family friend took them for us and wanted to create an album for us. Can't wait to see it!
  • @WinnieLou82
     It looks beautiful! Jadite and Pink accents is perfection in my opinion. :)
    *TW Spoiler*

11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    Benched 6 months 

• bbyTbbyT member
    I think I am pushing it on how close my shower is compared to my due date!! And I swear this child will most likely come out on the shower date and not my due date. 
    ODD: Aug 23
    DD : Aug 14
    Shower: July 23

And will be a rush to get what I need after the shower.  :o
  • MLB630MLB630 member
    We are having our "baby is brewing" shower next weekend! This is our 2nd girl so we are having a diaper party. My dad owns a brewery so we are having it at the brewery warehouse. We are having our friends and family bring the diapers and we are providing the pizza and beer. :) It's nothing too fancy. We just wanted to have a get together before she arrives. I will post pictures later!
  • Good morning ladies! I am so tired but today's my shower (finally, it's here!) and yesterday, DH & I met all our friends & fam who came from out of town. It was so nice yet hectic because SIL & best friend throwing the shower needed to go to several different places to prep for today! Since they planned most of it remotely, a lot of things for the shower were shipped and they needed to run to party city and all. Then the rest of friends flew in late night but expected to go out in the city. This mama bear was beat! 

Going to get ready but my feet hurt from yesterday. I'll post pics later! Busy busy yet fun day to come, hopefully! After the baby-q, we plan to rest a little and reserved dinner at a cute italian place in Gtown. 

DH & I mentioned last night that it sort of feels like our wedding night all over again!
  • @AliKay20 good luck today!! It's so nice that everyone came from out of town! 

• @Bookhousegirl Thank you! :)

I meant wedding weekend! so thankful for them coming from different states but even though I'm not throwing this event, I still feel very much like a host! Luckily, there are lots of wineries and breweries out in VA so we'll take them there tomorrow to explore while I sip on water!
  • Baby shower was a success! Expected people showed up, spoiled us, and we had a great but hot time!