July 2016 Moms

Cloth Diapering Mama's

Re: Cloth Diapering Mama's

• It makes a HUGE difference! I was about to give up and then switched and wow! It even made a difference in how my towels and clothes smell. I was using Purex (no scent) and it seriously was the worst for our front loading washing, just because they sell it doesn't mean it should be used! (As with much of the baby stuff they try to sell you on!)
  • I've bought all my supplies from https://thegreennursery.com

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Loading the player...
  • Wondering if ALL/Tide Free & Clear are as hypoallergenic as the natural detergents? We use a scent free, free and clear, natural kind from Whole Foods because DH has terrible allergies and is sensitive to pretty much all regular detergents. Anyone able to speak to severe allergies and using these? I would definitely prefer squeaky clean CDs and skipping any issue with natural detergents and smell so this process goes smoothly and we don't have to troubleshoot later.
  • @PootsDragon I would try on just a few articles and if it doesn't work for him just do your cloth diapers in it with an extra rince to make sure it's all out of the washer so your husbands clothes can be washed in what you normally use.
  • @PootsDragon my kids have sensitive skin and Tide original did not bother them at all. My cousin used Tide original on her CDs and her daughter with eczema broke out from the Tide original. I think you should get a small box and try it out now, if your husband is sensitive to it, I agree with @Puddles03 - just use it for your CDs only. (We sort of did that because it's expensive and we had other detergent to use up.)
  • For those of you that use tide original powder, how much do you use? Do do a pre wash and an extra rinse? Hot, warm, or cold water?
  • Anyone else recommend anything else other then the tide? I'm allergic to tide unfortunately!!!  
  • @bunkie999 I'm only speaking from my own experience (no babies involved yet), but I love Arm & Hammer. You can get it without dyes and scents and it works really well for me.
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • @bunkie999 there are a lot of options out there and a lot of online cloth diapering stores will sell samples. I make our own detergent and use it to wash everything because one of my kids has super sensitive skin. Before that I liked Rockin Green but I now hear great things about Country Save which I think I"m going to buy and give a try for after the baby when I don't feel like making my own. I was just reading about it on Diaper Junction and it gets a ton of great reviews.
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• I use Foca laundry detergent. Super cheap, yet efficient! I'd recommend visiting a group on Facebook if you have any questions about washing/detergents/amounts called Fluff Love & CD Science. They provide so much helpful information!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I second visiting the Fluff love and CD Science group! They are awesome!
  • Puddles03 said:
    I second visiting the Fluff love and CD Science group! They are awesome!
    That site made me want to cry. I found it so informative, it was overwhelming.

• Lets get to know each other. 

1. Have you ever cloth diapered before? Yes. Part time with my now 3yo
    2. What made you decide to try cloth?  A bit of everything: savings, environmentally friendly, adorable
    3. Will you be doing cloth from birth or waiting? From birth, mainly because I have newborn prefolds handed down to me. 
    4. Have you decided what style(s) and brands you'll use?  A combo. I have preforms and flats with covers, pocket diapers (mostly sunbaby) and a few AIOs.
    5. What are you finding the most overwhelming? Nothing really
    6. Will you cloth 100% of the time or a combo? Combo but mostly cloth
    7. What questions do you have?  I'm looking for recommendations for newborn covers. 

• I'll second the request for newborn cover recommendations! I have some newborn AIO and some prefolds, but need covers. 

• I'll second the request for newborn cover recommendations! I have some newborn AIO and some prefolds, but need covers. 
    I have a combo of size 1 thirsty's covers with Velcro (my friend informed me they do fit newborns) and rumparooz newborn covers. I believe I have both snap and Velcro for the rumparooz. I'm too lazy to go upstairs and look though ;) 

@elenabrent
  • Ladies, just checking in! We're only a few weeks out, how is everyone's stash and/or prepping coming along? Let's see some pictures!  All of our diapers have been cleaned, stripped (got them used), and put into baby's drawer. My cloth wipes are ready too. I just need to make or buy the solution for them. 

• I finally got everything cleaned and put away the other day! It felt good to get that checked off my list and finally clear off the bed in the guest room where I had been piling them up.
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • I bought Purex free and clear cause well water/hard water and it got good reviews and I can buy it at the store and not order it from Amazon. Would have loved to stick to Tide free and clear but they gave it bad stars in the leak review. Planning on pulling the plug and actually washing inserts today but have been putting it off because I'm scared to ruin the inserts because the cloth diaper ledge is a high one. 

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Everything is ready to go!! I washed everything and put the pre folds in the diaper covers. Wipes are also washed and folded. I have all the inserts in her closet all folded properly so that they can go straight in the diapers. I'm using disposables for the first bit, but once we are done with them I will be putting inserts in that section. 

• Super late to the game. I feel like I have been in denial in regards to the fact that July is right around the corner, you know like 2 days. But I hope it's not too late to jump on board to the cd game. 
    1. Have you ever cloth diapered before? 
    Nope, ftm and no one in my family has ever done it. In fact they think it's so weird that I plan on it. 
    2. What made you decide to try cloth? 
    Financial reasons mainly, I've heard it's better for baby and it's better for the environment. Plus they are so cute. 
    3. Will you be doing cloth from birth or waiting? 
    I think after watching my friend go through it first I plan on waiting until the end of month one if not a bit longer. I also received boxes of nb and size one disposable diapers at my baby shower. I think everyone brought a box so I may be set on diapers through like 12 lbs. 
    4. Have you decided what style(s) and brands you'll use? 
    That is what I am researching and trying to figure out now. I have a few bumgenius that I received from my registry and some Thirsties diaper covers. My friend did the diaper covers with prefolds and that seems to be working the best so far. 
    5. What are you finding the most overwhelming? 
    Currently, I have no idea how much of what to get. How do I figure this out? I want to be prepared, but all the options can be overwhelming. 
    6. Will you cloth 100% of the time or a combo? 
    I think I will be doing cloth 95% of the time. I think when we travel to the in-laws I may do disposable since they seem to think it disgusting that I'm choosing this option. 
    7. What questions do you have? 
    How did you decide on which brand to pick? How many do you have already stashed?  I have no idea where to start. 
  • @babycakesday I highly recommend checking out ClothDiaper.com! I found a lot of really helpful information there when I was feeling a little overwhelmed about my options, wash methods, fold methods, etc. I also purchased a package from them of prefolds and covers that was a great deal! I went with mostly prefolds and covers because they are economical, they dry quickly, and you can get a more customized fit. But I also have a smattering of pockets, AIOs, and different inserts to try out too. 
  • I'm going to jump in late too as I've been meaning to post in here for some time now!
    1. Have you ever cloth diapered before? 
    No, I haven't, but I'm excited about all it has to offer.
    2. What made you decide to try cloth? 
    Financial, environment, and cuter 
    3. Will you be doing cloth from birth or waiting? 
    I'm going to start after the umbilical cord falls off and then try some prefolds and FST's with covers.
    4. Have you decided what style(s) and brands you'll use? 
    I've picked up a bunch of Alvas, some BumGenius, Rumparooz and Grovia's. I also got some AIO, AI2 and just covers. 
    5. What are you finding the most overwhelming? 
    Once I go back to work, keeping up with the laundry and making sure no one else ruins the diapers with diaper creams or wrong washing!
    6. Will you cloth 100% of the time or a combo? 
    I'm going to try 100% of the time because I really don't want to buy disposables.
    7. What questions do you have? 
    None.. I've found that the FB site Fluff Love and Science has been very helpful. I have learned so much and already have a wash routine down. They also test everything and find that a lot of things that are recommended for cloth are really bad for them. For instance, Charlie's Soap causes chemical burns so stay away from that, don't use anything with petroleum in it for diaper rash unless you use a liner, etc. They help out with wash routines, fit, suggestions, etc. as well.
  • @stellaluna14 thanks. Dh and i have spent the better part of evening trying to figure this out. Ill definitely look there. 
  • @babycakesday I think how many you need depends on what kind you get, if you work, how often you want to do laundry, etc! With my first, I had a TON of diapers because I worked and only wanted to do diaper laundry 2 times a week. With my 2nd, I had a ton of diapers but only needed a 3rd of what I had because I did laundry every other day. 

when I was deciding what brand to get, I asked all my cloth diapering friends and read blogs online, etc. (basically asked what brand other moms preferred). I noticed that almost everyone says buy a few different brands and then see which one you like best. I wasn't interested in doing that because I wanted my stash ready to go. During my research (which was 5 years ago so could be outdated), it seems that every mom I came across bought several different brands but always favored bumgenius. So I ended up throwing all my eggs in one basket and bought all bumgenius diapers. I was thrilled with the ease of them and wouldn't have changed it all these years later!
  • And to give a reference of how many specifically, I had 40 diapers while I worked and then when I didn't work, I probably only needed 15 at the most. @babycakesday
  • Thanks ladies. My husband and I think we're going to try the bumgenius and the fuzzibunz as well as some diaper covers with prefolds in them. That way we can try them before we go all in a buy any one specific brand. But thank you for the idea on how many to start with. I plan on staying at home so Ill aim to get 15 and then Im sure Ill buy more when I see super cute ones. Thank you all so much. It definitely helps me feel more confident in making my decisions. 
  • Also, he went directly into OS diapers after his meconium passed. He was 8lbs 9oz and 21". 

• So my little one is nearly 4 weeks old. He's Just under 7.5 lbs. But between the hospital sending me home with NB diapers, and a couple family members buying one pack and then my grandmother buying us 8 packs, I'm a little sad because I haven't had the chance to start with cloth at all! Granted, we're going through 12-15 a day because Legan's favorite thing to is is poop mid diaper change, but still. I feel like my work and money getting NB size in cloth may not go to good use. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to have so many people that want to help out, I'm just a little surprised as they ALL knew we were going with cloth. It's definitely nice to have the disposables for trips out to the doctor and such. I am debating starting to use cloth a few diaper changes a day to ease into it, and if we end up with NB size disposables that we don't go through, I'll donate them to either friends or a local women's shelter.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @RideNRunMomma target and probably
    most other big box stores allow you to exchange diapers for different sizes. You can exchange the newborn for a few different sizes so you have sposies for trips and on occasion and then still get to utilize the newborn cloth! (Of course donating them is wonderful too!)
  • @carolynpetite Not a bad plan. Do any major big box stores sell Honest Company? I have literally never looked at disposables.

If not, I'll keep a few bags in each size for occasional use for sure, but probably donate the majority. Apparently I have 16 more packs coming (I was gifted a 3 month supply of diapers).
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @RideNRunMomma  Target sells Honest, that is the only big box store I know of. We're not cloth diapering but we really have liked Honest.
  • @RideNRunMomma At least here in Texas, most stores sell Honest company  including our local grocery store.  
  • Quick question, did yall wash the inserts separatetly from the diapers the first time? I read somewhere that the first time I should, but now I can't remember where I read that. 
  • edited July 2016
    Quick question, did yall wash the inserts separatetly from the diapers the first time? I read somewhere that the first time I should, but now I can't remember where I read that. 
    Yes and I washed the inserts multiple times, without drying between cycles. This helps increase absorbency. You can also wash the covers for the first time with similar fabrics, if you don't have a full load of covers. Just don't add fabric softener.
  • @babycakesday I also washed my inserts several times separately to increase absorbency!

@RideNRunMomma I've gotten my honest diapers at Target as well!