July 2016 Moms
Options

FFFC 5/6

Re: FFFC 5/6

• Options
    @elenabrent I've never had one...really makes no sense I know.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I definitely used my high risk pregnancy status to get out of jury duty. Ain't nobody got time for jury duty at 8 months pregnant with twins. 
    I have gotten out of it twice for being a nanny. I don't get any paid time off, so those days would be unpaid. On top of that, I would have to find childcare, so it would cost me to be there. And if I take those days off, then it causes a chain reaction and my bosses have to take days off as well, to stay home with the kids. 
    I have gotten out of it twice for being a nanny. I don't get any paid time off, so those days would be unpaid. On top of that, I would have to find childcare, so it would cost me to be there. And if I take those days off, then it causes a chain reaction and my bosses have to take days off as well, to stay home with the kids. 
    They asked me to postpone 6 months instead of be excused. I was like uh, no, I will have infant twins that I will be the sole care giver of during the day, I'll pass. It's good to know that other people have had success getting out of it as well. 
  • Options
    @rakel88 for real! The Price is Right ended up giving everyone in the audience a Tula baby carrier. Steve Harvey show is going to have a Baby Shower Hour episode today as well. 
    I can relate, @rnyland1. I have a worthless MIL too. I don't even feel bad about leaving her out of a mother's day plan. She's seriously one of the most selfish people I've ever met. Pretty amazing being that she had 6 kids. She couldn't come to the baby shower because her move the weekend prior took a lot out of her. Not that this is to be expected, but she's bought NOTHING for the baby. Not a onesie, not a bib - nothing, yet she threw jabs over the holidays that my mom better "share" grandma time with her. That won't be happening for a number of reasons. I've gotten texts all week from her about how the new rental home they moved into is a pit. I think one message started off, "Hope you're well..." but then went right into her rant. I've responded with short worded replies. She doesn't get it. We're taking my mom out to breakfast, and we have a card and a gift. Her...I'm sure my husband will call her, but it'll end there, lol. 
  • Options
    @LDSJM123 I think I'm going to try those! I have been taking my pre-natal, iron, and two stool softeners a day. They barely even help. I know about drinking all the water and eating all the fiber. I do this anyway as a life-long struggler (no pun intended). This pregnancy I ate so much damn iron-rich food, I can't believe I'm anemic. It's just what my body does during pregnancy I guess.
  • Options
    I have anemia, taking iron pills and having no problems pooping. My dr recommended the stool softeners but I don't need them and they hurt my stomach. I drink lots of milk, eat Activia and eat fruit. Works wonders :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    @lizhurt - I feel the same way. In fact, I had my work shower yesterday and had to do a ton of tweaking today. Some people bought things that were "on registry" but didn't come off the registry, so I don't get the points for it. I always thought using the registry made it easier for people!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @sboston06 we had stuff that didn't get taken off our registry too.  My aunt and MIL both bought the pack n play and neither purchase triggered it to be indicated as purchased.  So weird and annoying
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    DarkCatDarkCat member
    My boss denied my time off request for my baby shower. I tried keeping it together and remain positive that I could get a co-worker to cover or switch shifts with me but it's tough. I'm full of anxiety and getting depressed. This is just another thing I'm dealing with that makes me not want to return to my job. But I get paid above minimum wage and quitting really isn't an option unless I want to take a big pay cut. 
  • Options
    @lizhurt @sboston06 I was kind of annoyed by that, too! I thought the same - We're telling you the things we need! I am HAPPY to receive butt paste, wipes and sippy cups. Feel free!! We purposely chose not to find out what we're having because we were told it makes people buy what you need, and not a bunch of clothes. Kid is set in the way of blankets and stuffed animals.....we, however, are filling in a lot of gaps, lol!!

• Options
    My step-MIL is currently mad at me because I am keeping my husband from her on Mother's day. Sorry I am going to be selfish and keep MY husband to my on my FIRST mothers day. You'll get over it and I'm not sorry about it either. I also think he's just sending them a card. Not my mothers so I don't care. :)
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Options
    TM14TM14 member
    I didn't and won't be getting anything for my mother for the holiday but I will be for my MIL. I'm not close to my mother and prefer not to have her in my life. Truthfully my MIL taught me what a mother is, and how they should treat their children. 
  • Options
    @TattoosandLace No, that was far from our only reason. Truth be told, it was largely my husband's choice because he loves surprises and feels it one of the last surprises you get in life. However, I won't deny that friends of ours that also made the same choice during their pregnancies told us one of the perks is you get items needed and not as much clothes. I don't consider most of the items we received to be any more costly than clothes. In fact, it was quite the opposite. Again, a pack of spoons for $4 or rash cream was thrilling for us!! The clothes received were too. We've bought all of our large items ourselves. 
  • Options
    I hate Mother's Day and so does hubby. Both of us lost our moms when we were 6-7 years old and both of us have step moms we feel obligated to celebrate. I am thrilled being a mom will now mean it can be about me and I can stay home. 

I also am a little more than disappointed that no one bought a $25 plush great white shark off our baby registry. I hoped for that over most practical gifts! 
  • Options
    @Kellyj103 Those are awesome gifts!!!! Please reference my fur baby photo and the two blankets in it. Both handmade and ADORABLE!! I love everything handmade. They can never be replaced or duplicated and are instantly special!! :)
  • Options
    @Nerdchild that is clearly the best baby shower gift ever. 
  • Options
    ktomorrowktomorrow member
    edited May 2016
    This is a UO for this board so I'm a day late, but it really bothers me that so many peops minds jump straight to money at the mention of a registry. So so many people have asked my mom and I both (especially my mom) about where I'm registered. So I've spent embarrassing amounts of time trying to develop a PC registry with lots of low dollar items that we'd still really appreciate. Registries seem to be modus operandi these days so we're stuck even though I'd really rather peops I don't know well just come party with my mom who is so beyond psyched about her 1st grandbaby and leave the gifts for another occasion. But since they all ask, I've worked hard on the darn thing and now feel a definite proprietary interest in how it goes.

ugh long, but UO so a lot of y'all hopefully skip my soap box anyways...

edited b/c phone rants distract me from catching phone typos (oh yeah and also dislike that I feel forced to explain edits too) wahwah (shut up me)
  • Options
    @kellyj103 I have all fingers and toes crossed that DHs aunt is going to make us a quilt.  Handmade gifts from people I'm close to are my favorite, especially when they are talented.  The time and effort are priceless! 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    I love homemade gifts! A mother of one of my mom's friends from college made a tiny baby quilt with my name on it when I was born and I still have it hanging on the wall in my bedroom and have moved it with me about twenty different times. I never knew this woman but that quilt is one of the most special things I own still to this day. 
  • Options
    When my passive aggressive MIL was visiting us on her birthday she told us not to buy her flowers anymore (I had been sending them for birthdays and mother's day) because "flowers are stupid". I thought great, I'll save some money this mother's day. Yesterday MH asked me if I'd ordered flowers for her yet, I told him no, and repeated what she'd said, and he insisted I send them anyway because "if she doesn't get flowers she's just going to complain that we didn't send her flowers" Sad thing is he's probably right. Ordered them today, reluctantly. 
  • Options
    my cousin is having her 3rd kid in a couple weeks. My ex-aunt started some Facebook baby shower thing that we kind of didn't understand. I guess bc my cousin lives in Hawaii now, we thought it was just a place to post a registry. Before they moved in December, we got some money together so they could purchase things there and not have to ship. My mom also purchased a nice stroller set from her registry over there, which was promptly returned. So we felt we did our part. My aunt posted last week about how great their friends and neighbors were at helping them get stuff, but it would be really nice if people (obviously family since she already singled out the great friends) would get the rest of the stuff for the nursery. It really turned us off. I'm ok buying diapers and shit you really need, but $80 for wall crap..no. 
  • Options
    KASGKASG member
    Another FFFC: I JUST realized what registry stalking is. Definitely thought it meant stalking other people's registries or something. I call pregnancy brain.
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16