July 2016 Moms
Options

FFFC

124»

Re: FFFC

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't even think about cowlicks. I have a double. I really have no idea what my kid's hair is going to be like. 
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I didn't even think about cowlicks. I have a double. I really have no idea what my kid's hair is going to be like. 
    DD has two on her crown. My OB comments "poor babe" as she's coming out. Turns out my OB has the same hair and hates that it never does what she wants. Total sweetheart so I wasn't put off by the comments. 

ETA: DD. Not dad. That's weird
  • Options
    DD has two on her crown. My OB comments "poor babe" as she's coming out. Turns out my OB has the same hair and hates that it never does what she wants. Total sweetheart so I wasn't put off by the comments. 

Oh yeah, that's going to be a fun one when it's time to straighten her hair.
  • Options
    I LOVE thinking about what my sons hair will look like! I have really thin light brown hair but everyone else in my family and his fathers family has thick curly hair. On my side it's dark brown/black hair and on LO's dads side it's brown with little golden looking hairs or blonde. 
  • Options
    @DobbysSock ugh that's horrible, I really hope no one wants to go down that road with me. We'd end up having a discussion about being a bigot. I will say I won't do what my mom did and cut my brothers hair into a mullet.  
    Yea I found it pretty offensive. She even had people commenting on pictures on Facebook saying he "looked like a girl", so brutal. He didn't look like a girl - he looked like a toddler with gorgeous hair. It's not even like it was ridiculously long or thick - I think it was just brushing his shoulders when they cut it. And he LOVED his longer hair! He was sad when it was finally cut.
  • Options
    @DobbysSock ugh that's heartbreaking. I really want to let my son decide when he's ready to cut his hair, I figure that would be less traumatic as well. I'll feel no shame letting people know that my son isn't just Caucasian, he's got a whole First Nation side. It reminds me of that story I saw online about that little boy that was growing his hair out and the kids in his class said nothing and it was parents that were giving his mom a hard time. Come to find out he wanted to donate his hair to kids with cancer. People can suck a lot. 
  • Options

Oh yeah, that's going to be a fun one when it's time to straighten her hair.
    Right now her hair is curly, but could change. She had a Mohawk from birth until about 10 months that wouldn't sit down because of it. DH says she's just going to be a country girl and loves hats. But I completely agree with you. Poor baby girl isn't going to like straightening her hair. 
  • Options
    @oneliloaktree13 that picture is too damn cute! DH just bought that for Lincoln not to long ago, I thought it was hilarious. A lot of his onsies are snarky and smart ass. Everyone knows us too well 
  • Options
    I think it's awesome to celebrate and honour your son's First Nations heritage and also to let him choose how he presents himself. But if he decides to cut his hair, that picture is freaking adorable and would be so cute!

Way more often than not it's the parents, not the kids, who judge kids by their appearance - particularly with gender norms. Like, what is the big deal? Can we just let kids be kids? It's especially sad because you don't hear as much about people criticizing little girls with short hair, who want to wear baseball caps, or who love dinosaurs and trucks or want to get dirty. But take a little boy who wants to wear something pink/sparkly, have long hair, or loves to dance, and people get all up in arms. Makes me feel ragey. We went camping with DH's family last summer and DD's older cousins (all boys - like 6 and under) were running around playing and screaming, and the men kept yelling over (jokingly, but still offensive) for them to "stop screaming like girls". DD was still too young to get it but I've been feeling a lot of turmoil about future family events. If I have a son and they say something like that to him or around him I'll be pissed, but I'm also pissed that they'd say that around DD. Makes it sound like there's something wrong with being a girl. I haven't decided how I'll handle it in the future, but I've warned DH that I will likely say something at some point. The question is whether I say it loudly to my kids in front of the adults, explaining why what they said was rude, or whether I address it directly with the adults. The alternative is we don't spend time with them.

ETA @oneliloaktree13
    With you on this one... And I know it'll be a constant battle. DH was complaining about a super needy and annoying patient of his and called him a  "pussy" and I was like nope nope nope.... Not having any of that nonsense especially with a daughter in the way. It took 20 minutes of explaining why it's unacceptable (like you said, like the worst thing in the world is to be a girl) and I'm still not sure it totally sunk in. I'm not backing down on the issue because him and his family often make fun of athletes/sports teams the same way--- Calling the Cowboys the Cowgirls, Penguins- Penqueens, Sidney Crosby- Cindy Crosby. I know they think it's just funny and it has no meaning but fuck that, it absolutely means something and my daughter will never be made to feel , whether implicit or blatant- inadequate, weak, or less than simply by her genitals- shit makes me ragey!!!!!
    I have similar conversations with DH. He's gotten much better and is much more careful with his words now, so keep working on your DH! Likely especially once he has a daughter he'll realize how important it is to empower her and will start to hate hearing language that might make her feel less than. My DH was never intentionally sexist or homophobic, he was just ignorant to the power and meaning of his words, which is also unacceptable but because his intent was different than his actions, it was fairly easy to get him to change his behaviour (although he still needs reminders every now and then).