Baby Names
Options

Anthony

Thoughts on Anthony David?

DH and I have struggled so much with a boy's name. DD is Norah, if this LO is a girl (team green), she'll be Isla Joan, which we decided on while TTC. It's taken us a long time, and DH has vetoed a huge list of boy's names I've suggested. The other night he suggested Anthony (he doesn't remember that I've suggested it multiple times - I'm keeping my mouth shut because I love it and it's a family middle name on my side, I'm happy to let him take credit for it if I get a name I love out of it). Middle name is a family name on his side so not really up for debate unless there's an issue with the combo that I'm missing.

Also, we would plan to call him Anthony. How likely do you think it is that people will shorten it to Tony? I don't feel strongly one way or another about Tony so if as a teenager he goes by it I won't care, just curious whether it's one of those nicknames that seems to come automatically (like Ben for Benjamin)

Re: Anthony

• Options
  • Options
    Anthony David is a great name. I do not like Tony and most Anthony's I know go by Tony or Ant. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Anthony David.  I know two Anthonys and one goes by Anthony and the other by Tony.
  • Options
    Love Anthony.

i know several that go by Anthony no nn.

• Options
    I think it's a solid name. I know only one Anthony and he is called Anthony, not Tony.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    I like it. Every Anthony I've know goes by Tony but since you don't hate it I wouldn't worry. If he hates it he can correct people as he gets older.
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Great 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    My son has a long name and people often as what I call him for short and I tell them nothing. I also know when he is old enough to talk he will correct people. Although, some people will do whatever they feel like. I love Anthony too!
  • Options
    Isla and Norah are two of my all time favorite girl names, so love those! I think Anthony is a good name, its not my style, but you can't really go wrong with it. If you both love it, I'd keep it!
  • Options
    My brother is named Anthony and barely anyone has shortened it to Tony. I don't think it's going to be like Ben for Benjamin, especially if he is introduced as Anthony. I love the name! 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    Both my husband and son are Anthony and never once have I heard either of them referred to as Tony (and I've been with my husband 20 years)!  
    photo 3b43f478-6280-4d47-9376-66fc916418a0_zpslewcrjtbjpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My cousin has an Anthony and nobody calls him Tony (or anything else). Just strictly Anthony. 
    I've had a few students named Anthony and it never occurs to me to call them Tony unless they ask me to or I hear other people call them Tony.  It's not one of those Benjamin=Ben or Gregory=Greg assumed nicknames to me, maybe because Anthony doesn't begin with Tony.  It's a good solid boy name.   I associate it with people of Italian ancestry. 
  • Options
    mb0112 said:
    I've had a few students named Anthony and it never occurs to me to call them Tony unless they ask me to or I hear other people call them Tony.  It's not one of those Benjamin=Ben or Gregory=Greg assumed nicknames to me, maybe because Anthony doesn't begin with Tony.  It's a good solid boy name.   I associate it with people of Italian ancestry. 
    We're not of Italian ancestry at all but my dad's mom was from Spain. Not sure if there are Spanish ties to the name as well or if they just liked it?
  • Options
    mb0112 said:
    We're not of Italian ancestry at all but my dad's mom was from Spain. Not sure if there are Spanish ties to the name as well or if they just liked it?
    I would think Antonio is more Spanish but Anthony could be common there too.  I think I just happen to live near more Italians vs Spanish anyways, so that's where I hear it most (people whose great/grandparents came from Italy, not the parents/kids themselves)
  • Options
    mb0112 said:
    mb0112 said:
    I would think Antonio is more Spanish but Anthony could be common there too.  I think I just happen to live near more Italians vs Spanish anyways, so that's where I hear it most (people whose great/grandparents came from Italy, not the parents/kids themselves)
    Well, that probably explains why my dad always tries to correct us when we pronounce Anthony with a soft "th" sound! He pronounces it "Antony" with a hard "t".

I imagine he'll pronounce our potential son with the hard "t", but we're fine with that. Everyone else would say it with the soft "th"
  • Options
    Every Anthony I know goes by Tony. I also tend to say 'eyyyy Tony' to one of them in an Italian accent every once and awhile in good fun. There's nothing wrong with the name, it's a good solid choice, but be prepared for nicknames.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like it!  It's classic.  I don't think Tony would come out as a nickname unless you, your husband, or your son decide that's what you/he wants to be called.