April 2016 Moms
Options

FFFC

Re: FFFC

• Options
    DD is 2 years (almost) 3 months and has never had a haircut. I will not cut her hair. Despite the fact that her hair falls in her eyes and drives her crazy, I refuse to cut it. DH says she needs a haircut but nope, won't do it. I do not like bangs on little girls. Scratch that, I do not like bangs at ALL. Some people can pull it off and it looks great on them. I am not one of those people, and my daughter will not be one of those people (because right now I can make that choice for her). So even though it drives her nuts for me to do her hair every morning, I will continue doing so until her hair in the front can long enough to be tucked behind her ears the way I do.
    Bangs on a kid are the biggest pain in the ass, I totally understand why you wouldn't want them on her. I'll probably be the same way. 
  • Options
    Today my FFFC is that I hate when LO has the hiccups. It's just not cute anymore because she's so big, and it shakes my body. And especially when it wakes/keeps me up at night. Sigh. I'm already an evil mommy. 

My baby gets the hiccups all the time (has them now!!) funny story- my 2 year old niece thinks it means the baby is sad and crying, so she gets really concerned if she hears baby has hiccups.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is 2 years (almost) 3 months and has never had a haircut. I will not cut her hair. Despite the fact that her hair falls in her eyes and drives her crazy, I refuse to cut it. DH says she needs a haircut but nope, won't do it. I do not like bangs on little girls. Scratch that, I do not like bangs at ALL. Some people can pull it off and it looks great on them. I am not one of those people, and my daughter will not be one of those people (because right now I can make that choice for her). So even though it drives her nuts for me to do her hair every morning, I will continue doing so until her hair in the front can long enough to be tucked behind her ears the way I do.
    I hate bangs in kids too, but I won't have long hair on a girl because of how traumatized I was by my hair as kid. We weren't allowed to have hair cut above our belly buttons because a woman's hair is her crown of glory or some bullshit... I had horrible ultra curly, super easily tangled hair, that worked its way out of braids, pony tails, buns etc. If I have a daughter and her hair is like mine it's going to be short until she feels like she can manage it herself. I won't have my baby crying at the sight of a hair brush every morning. /cringe at those childhood memories...
  • Options
    Ok this one is highly flammable.  A friend of ours has struggled with infertility for the last five years.  They just announced that they are expecting twins the end of July. They are so excited because they have so much love to share.  They are not parent material.  They are still pretty big into the drinking. She is maybe 100 lbs soaking wet and is pretty bent out of shape when she gains even a little weight.  She just posted that she's gained 25 already, just wants a night on the town, is tired all the time, and feels as big as a whale.

I really want to stab her.  Prior to finding out she was pregnant she posted non stop about how pregnant women should just be happy they are pregnant and stop complaining because at least they have a baby.  I am happy they are pregnant, but come on...I think most pregnant women bitch for good reason.

I don't think your opinion is inflammatory at all, at least from my point of view. 
    We struggled with infertility for 4 years until we were able to afford IVF last year. 
    I never complained during that time about pregnant women posting on social media or complaining because pregnancy and parenting are HARD! I don't think you need to go through it to see it. 
    I don't complain to anyone besides you ladies, my husband, and my bestie because it's not my style. But i reserve the right to complain if I need to! :) 

• Options
    AEG84 said:
    So I've been having what I guess at this point is contractions on and off again most of the morning and I legit cried out of fear because I don't feel ready to go into labor yet. On the other hand, DH tried to comfort me and promised to do all the dishes today, win! 
    @elasticheart13 hang in there, mama! Are they regular at all or just BH?
    Your not alone.  I've been having more and more lately.  Mine are mostly BH, but I decided to time them last night and got them about 11 mins apart, then they just stopped.  Dr didn't seem to concerned last night when I called.
    They were not regular. I tried timing them but they were like 10 min or 5 min apart and then they stopped as well. I didn't call as I thought it was probably nothing. DH keeps telling me I will go into labor soon and it's making me panic. 

• Options
    cmjenkies said:
    FFFC: I don't understand the extreme opposition to having visitors while in the hospital. I mean, I can see not wanting everyone and their sister there, but saying no to close family is strange to me. I was so bored in the hospital, DH had to go to work, I welcomed the occasional visitor.  
    I was just discussing this with my mom. She thinks I'm insane for not wanting everyone visiting. I only want my parents, his parents, my best friend if she can can make it, and my siblings and nephews to visit. But for me I'm highly introverted, and I get easily drained around people. Besides I'm looking forward to not having to wear clothing or breastfeed more discreetly if I don't want to, and there are only four people in my small list I have to cover up for (my dad, his dad, his mom, my brother) Fiancé is not going back to work for two weeks once I'm admitted in the hospital, and he doesn't have a license right now, so it's not like he's going anywhere lol
  • Options
    @misstopsail Totally not flaming, just concerned about safety: please don't sleep in a recliner with your baby. Sleeping with an infant should be done intentionally, safely, and never in a recliner or on a couch. Research (although difficult to conduct because of recording deficits) shows that basically all cosleeping infant deaths occur when parents aren't following safety rules. I used to fall asleep all the damn time nursing my first in a recliner- until the night I nearly squished her because she wiggled over between my side and the arm of the chair instead of on my lap. Crazy scary, and now I feel obligated to speak up when I hear someone contemplating the same thing. 

I feel like I should confess something else now, and I have nothing beyond third trimester laziness. My kids are all watching Batman cartoons while I bump, and I ate my husband's froyo for lunch. It was delicious. I do feel like I should go get him some more, but if I do that I'm pretty sure I'll also get more for me,and my ass definitely doesn't need that. 
  • Options
    AEG84AEG84 member
    emgee27 said:
    I'm donating all the cheap brand baby washes/shampoos/lotions and baby clothes that I got at my baby shower.  My aunt and uncle always go overboard in quantity in terms of gifts, which is nice of them, but it's usually 5 cheap items instead of maybe 1 decent item.  They gave me a box at the baby shower with no joke, about 30 things in it, including what is clearly dollar store baby wash, baby lotion, baby rattle, baby bottles, etc. 

I feel like a pompous a-hole but I'm not using those items on my baby nor letting him/her put them in her mouth. Sorry not sorry.
    They should have hotglued it to a fancy foam wreath. That would have made it a truly awesome gift ;P
    I still laugh every time I think of that stupid wreath!

@emgee27 One of DH's cousins regifted what were clearly used onesies to us at my baby shower. While it's nice to want to pass on items that their baby is no longer using, it seems really odd to me to wrap them up as a gift. They were not at all my style, either (they were actually "Princess" ones - both parents are Disney fanatics so half the stuff the baby is dressed in is princess crap. Barf.).
  • Options
    cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited March 2016
    emgee27 said:
    I'm donating all the cheap brand baby washes/shampoos/lotions and baby clothes that I got at my baby shower.  My aunt and uncle always go overboard in quantity in terms of gifts, which is nice of them, but it's usually 5 cheap items instead of maybe 1 decent item.  They gave me a box at the baby shower with no joke, about 30 things in it, including what is clearly dollar store baby wash, baby lotion, baby rattle, baby bottles, etc. 

I feel like a pompous a-hole but I'm not using those items on my baby nor letting him/her put them in her mouth. Sorry not sorry.
    I mean, at least you're donating. We all have our preferences, but if you think these 'Dollar store items' are not good enough for your child, but are good enough for someone who is underprivileged, and that's your rationale for donation.. that's kind of sad. 
  • Options
    @emgee27 at the same time, I understand where you're actually coming from though. My aunt used to do this a lot, but it was more just that she gave me so much I truly didn't need it. I'd have a drawer full of things from her, so I would eventually donate. It's not the price/quality of them that bothered me, I just didn't need them, and there are certain things we all prefer. (I don't spend in excess on a lot of items, although I do splurge on some admittedly). I doubt you're truly a pompous a-hole though, I just wasn't crazy about the word choice there.

These days, I miss that lady terribly and would be happy to get a bag full of her discount knick-knacks. 
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    FFFC: I don't understand the extreme opposition to having visitors while in the hospital. I mean, I can see not wanting everyone and their sister there, but saying no to close family is strange to me. I was so bored in the hospital, DH had to go to work, I welcomed the occasional visitor.  
    I was just discussing this with my mom. She thinks I'm insane for not wanting everyone visiting. I only want my parents, his parents, my best friend if she can can make it, and my siblings and nephews to visit. But for me I'm highly introverted, and I get easily drained around people. Besides I'm looking forward to not having to wear clothing or breastfeed more discreetly if I don't want to, and there are only four people in my small list I have to cover up for (my dad, his dad, his mom, my brother) Fiancé is not going back to work for two weeks once I'm admitted in the hospital, and he doesn't have a license right now, so it's not like he's going anywhere lol
    Yeah we don't want to many visitors either. Only ppl who will know when it's going down is our direct family. All other friends and family will have to wait and find out later once I feel better. I don't want to deal with ppl after a c section. Heck you don't visit/call me on bed rest - you can sure wait to see the baby. 
  • Options
    @mojomama6 that's a good point! We are not cosleeping, I just hear everyone tell me I want a recliner for the 'resting/nursing' time. I was already worried about struggling with the seat trying to stand up with him, I didn't consider the falling into a true, deep sleep in the chair concern.

@cmjenkies I don't see a problem with hospital visitors, but I am banning visitors for 24 hours when we get home. I think I'm going to want some quiet (ha) time to settle in with the baby.

• Options
    For the record I donating everything I'm not going to use for the same reasons. I'm right up there with you on the chemicals in beauty products, and until Johnson and Johnson can adhere to the same standards the have worldwide for their US formulas, no thank you. I like Honest Company, and Burts Bees, although I'm questioning the latter recently since they were bought by another major corporation and I don't think the mother company is against animal testing >.> Don't quote me on that, I need to re research it.
  • Options
    ^ @emgee27 @Knottie9983816 pics on the crafty check in or it didn't happen.  ;)
  • Options
    emgee27emgee27 member
    edited March 2016
    For the record I donating everything I'm not going to use for the same reasons. I'm right up there with you on the chemicals in beauty products, and until Johnson and Johnson can adhere to the same standards the have worldwide for their US formulas, no thank you. I like Honest Company, and Burts Bees, although I'm questioning the latter recently since they were bought by another major corporation and I don't think the mother company is against animal testing >.> Don't quote me on that, I need to re research it.
    It really is pretty nuts how many chemicals are banned from the same products in the EU and Canada but are ok to use in US products. I'm wary of all of that, that's my primary concern.

Thank you @RoseShadow873 for your argument, that makes total sense to me.  It's true these products are legally sold her and I'd prefer not to use them.

Edited: because words.
  • Options
    @emgee27 I was thinking about this issue more, and really I think it can eventually help everyone when people that can afford it buy safer products because it can encourage the other brands to change what they are doing since they are losing out on business.
  • Options
    Mmmmmm smoked salmon! We make our own <3 I bought DH a smoker for Christmas a few years ago and we've done a lot in it, by far my favorite is homemade smoked salmon. He has this great brine and rub. We eat is just plain smoked salmon, smoked salmon dip, and I even did a smoked salmon chowder with it once. So SO good.

QBF
    I bought DH a new smoker for Christmas this year. We brine our salmon too, then put a little brown sugar on top while it smokes. I'm a born and raised New Yorker so bagels and lox has been a favorite of mine forever. I've come to prefer our smoked salmon over lox now. 

Now as I'm thinking about things DH has smoked it's looking like brisket is going to need to happen in the very near future. 
    So... Forgive my southern ignorance, but what is lox?
    Basically expensive smoked salmon. It's brined and smoked at a really low temperature for a long time and sliced very thinly. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emgee27 I'm with you on donating. I had a surprise work shower and got so much pink stuff I wanted to vomit. I'm a huge tomboy and I really, really dislike the color pink and the connotation that all little girls need to be 'girly.' If that's what she chooses when she's older I'll happily oblige, but until then the amount of pink in my house will be severely limited. Other moms love to put their kids in pink, frilly clothes; more power to them. I don't think it makes either of us vain to have preferences. 
  • Options
    @TKaiser91  I feel the same way. I'd rather someone pop over for a quick hospital visit than have them come to my house!  Especially because I feel everyone gets bored of the hospital fast and at my house I might have to entertain them endlessly.
  • Options
    @emgee27 I'm with you on donating. I had a surprise work shower and got so much pink stuff I wanted to vomit. I'm a huge tomboy and I really, really dislike the color pink and the connotation that all little girls need to be 'girly.' If that's what she chooses when she's older I'll happily oblige, but until then the amount of pink in my house will be severely limited. Other moms love to put their kids in pink, frilly clothes; more power to them. I don't think it makes either of us vain to have preferences. 
    I was the same way you are about dressing my daughter in pink and frills. I hate pink and, being the only girl out of 5 children, really geared my interests to more "boy" things. However, my daughter is 100% girly girl. I have no idea where she gets it from. Seriously, the more glitter and flowers the better for this girl. I still aim her in a more neutral direction when we're getting her new clothes, but I can't stop this girl's style. At least I was able to avoid the pink while she was too young to protest haha 
  • Options
    I registered for a lot of items that had "boy" in the description.  This girl LOVES turtles, and I think baby girl will, too!
  • Options
    I have a random confession based on something that happened today: when I find hair in my food at restaurants I just take it out and keep eating. I know it's gross but whatever I guess.

• Options
    adifrog said:
    I registered for a lot of items that had "boy" in the description.  This girl LOVES turtles, and I think baby girl will, too!
    We did a lot of stereotypical girl stuff with DD when we registered.  As she's gotten older she loves things like Star Wars, Legos and balls.  We aren't going to force gender norms on our kids.  
  • Options
    I feel cramping like my period is coming. I'm kind of nervous this kid is giving me indicators he wants to come early. :neutral: 

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD is 2 years (almost) 3 months and has never had a haircut. I will not cut her hair. Despite the fact that her hair falls in her eyes and drives her crazy, I refuse to cut it. DH says she needs a haircut but nope, won't do it. I do not like bangs on little girls. Scratch that, I do not like bangs at ALL. Some people can pull it off and it looks great on them. I am not one of those people, and my daughter will not be one of those people (because right now I can make that choice for her). So even though it drives her nuts for me to do her hair every morning, I will continue doing so until her hair in the front can long enough to be tucked behind her ears the way I

-----QBF-----

I am anti-bangs too. My mom used to have to fight me to get me to let her trim them, so we just were not doing that crap for DD. She's never had a haircut, but I am considering a trim for her soon cause the ends are so tangly... but she also has curls that I suspect won't grow back. 
    kids with flags
  • Options
    I have a random confession based on something that happened today: when I find hair in my food at restaurants I just take it out and keep eating. I know it's gross but whatever I guess.
    I'm right there with you. Unless I find a fingernail, it's not worth it to me to complain because I can guarantee I've eaten worse. 
  • Options
    I'm right there with you. Unless I find a fingernail, it's not worth it to me to complain because I can guarantee I've eaten worse. 
    I already eat dog hair literally every day. There is nothing I can do.
  • Options
    rebelone said:
    I feel cramping like my period is coming. I'm kind of nervous this kid is giving me indicators he wants to come early. :neutral: 
    Same here. It's freaking me out a little. 
  • Options
    I ate deli meat. It was delicious.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker