September 2016 Moms
Options

Search Function Police

I've noticed a lot of responses to threads with links to searches with similar topics....I get it, you don't want to read the same thing 100 times, but isn't it getting a little crazy? I feel like it would be nice to post topics sometimes, but don't because I'm sure it's been started before and know I'll get those replies hinting that I'm annoying you for posting. Yes, sometimes search functions can be helpful. But also, starting a thread of your own may be nice to get some interaction and personal convos going.

If you don't want to read something because you've seen it before, then don't read it. Why be the police who takes the time to search then paste link in comments instead of just moving along? Does anyone else feel this way?

Re: Search Function Police

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    618mom22boys618mom22boys member
    edited March 2016
    After a while of getting multiple posts on the same topic people aren't going to want to comment.  I know if I have already said one thing on another post I am not going to want to repeat myself over and over and over again.   

ETA: And other than the pinned posts if I see a topic already talked about I will link where it was discussed already. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • Options
    And another good way to get some interaction and personal convos going is to participate in your ticker change threads and other daily threads. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    What everyone has already said. The mention of posts being already discussed are to be helpful. You'll notice the second/third time they get asked, they get very few responses. And even if your repeat post got a ton of responses, why would you not want to read another post about the same topic? No one on this board is condescending or unwelcoming about it. My first BMB was ruthless about this kind of stuff, and not in the helpful kind of way. More in the Gif until OP feels offended and defensive kind of way. 

• Options
    I think it depends on when it was last talked about. I think as we get farther along in our pregnancies it is likely that we will revisit topics that become more relevant. I also think that it can be hard to revive a "zombie" post if you actually want to have a discussion on a topic. 

Also compared to other boards (like TTGP) this board is super nice about it. I think people are generally trying to help answer question (by pointing them to relevant threads) 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I get it @ashvomarks . Because my phone app for bump (edit spelling)  doesn't even have a search engine.... Or at least I've looked everywhere for it and it's no where to be seen.

And I don't have a lap top or Pc at the moment so it kinda bothers me. 

Post some post and let's get some answers and some conversation going and HAVE FUN ;) 
  • Options
    And to people above... Since I don't have a search engine on my mobile app or a PC or laptop , it is nice when you do post the link to the previous similar conversation . Thank you
  • Options
    I wouldn't call people the search function police and I agree our group has been super nice. Some of the board organization stuff still makes me giggle. May/June 2011 back when I first started had way more individual posts. My UO is that I hate the monthly random thread and I love randoms. With only one a month, it just gets too long! I have seen other boards do one random thread the whole time. Craziness! Anyway, I know board organization has been around for awhile and I think I'm starting to sound like a granny as I reference a dead board from over 5 years ago. 
    DD1 6.2011 
    DD2 4.2013 - vbac
    DS1 9.2016 - vbac, team green
    Baby #4 due 9.2018
  • Options
    PSUBecky23PSUBecky23 member
    edited March 2016
    I've never seen anyone be rude or mean in response to questions that have been asked before.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OP, I doubt anyone was trying to be condescending or rude when responding that there was another thread that discussed the same topic. It's really for reference and for the poster to see more responses. If you lurk around you can see that repeat topics typically don't receive many responses for that very reason. It also makes it less likely that we have a board full of topics with only 3 responses on each. Hope that makes sense! 
  • Options

I second the weekly randoms thread!

• Options
    @noelietrex - I'm with @diagonalley - I have no desire to play guess the sex of your baby. I don't even like playing that game with my own baby - I mean you might as well flip a coin! I don't really want to scroll through tons of ultrasound posts that are all about the same thing.

I also don't think this board is super police-y on using the search function, but it seems like a lot of those that get told to use the search function are bringing up topics that are only on page 2 or 3 of the board. It's best to look before asking since not everyone will want to discuss the same thing over and the poster might end up missing valuable information!
  • Options
    July '16...

• Options
    Exactly! No need for anyone to police! It's fun having multiple threads for stuff and I like reading regular reminders about topics we all love like maternity pillows and MS cures. Plus there are a TON of ways to guess the baby's sex and some people have some really telling U/S pics so why shouldn't they get their own threads?
    The bump isn't the type of forum to play guess my babies sex.   If you like those games you should check out other forums like babycenter or Ingender.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @COmama87  Duh. They're bored again. I have to say TB has really tamed down from the old days if this post is a form of entertainment. 

• Options
    COmama87 said:
    July '16...

I'm due June 7, if this is directed to me. :wink: 
  • Options
    ugh, I'm sad my DS almost shares the same Birthday.
  • Options
    JennM205 said:
    Jumping in way late here but I think this thread alone proves how NICE this BMB has been!  I saw the post yesterday towards the end of the night but avoided it because it was late and I was tired and didn't know if I could handle any drama.  Low and behold today I open it (possibly in search of a bit of entertainment ;) ) and find that everyone SO NICELY and respectfully responded!  The last BMB I was on would have taken this thread and shredded it.  It was so bad, I didn't stick with the group past first trimester.  S16 is the best.

Edited because words.
    That's just 'cause, ya know, we're all awesome and stuff. We're already doing enough growing humans,  we just don't  need to add any drama to that :) 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    LOLZ at the lame trolling happening up in here. At least make it entertaining if you're that bored.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary       

• Options
    Agreed, @TheTamedShrew. This is child's play compared to the things I used to see on TB. 

• Options
    RedMar said:
    ugh, I'm sad my DS almost shares the same Birthday.
    Oh no! Well...I wouldn't worry too much. My actual due date is June 28, but I'm having twins. It's highly unlikely I"ll mar your poor son's birth month by daring to have my children in June. 
  • Options

Hi all,

Maintaining a welcoming environment in the community is something we take very seriously. We welcome debate and engaging dialogue from all perspectives here. We do not tolerate bullying. If you feel you’ve experienced bullying within the community,

Please:

Flag comments that violate our TOU by using the “Report a TOU Violation” feature below posts
    Send a Private Message to BumpTara or @BumpCaitlin describing your concerns or send an email to communitybumpxogrp.com and include links to any threads that you are concerned about so we can properly investigate.

Please do not:

Post on the boards about your grievances with the community or individual members. Doing so tends to result in unproductive arguments among members and escalates situations.

By flagging posts that violate the TOU and sharing your concerns directly with our moderators, we are able to address issues promptly and properly.

We will be closing this thread for further comments. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"