Options

Weight Gain Shaming

13»

Re: Weight Gain Shaming

• Options
    We are all amazing pregnant goddesses!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah that's the other thing. Bodies aren't machines which are 'calories in, calories out'. My sister can eat 1600 calories a day amd walk miles and weigh 210. I have lived with her before and knew exactly what she ate. She has cysts on her thyroid so that definitely impacts it. In contrast I can eat that amount and stay quite slim. Bodies are so much more complex than we know. 

I think pregnancy changes the hormones that regulate digestion and metabolism once again and the body starts gaining at a different pace for each woman. So it makes more sense to me to focus on nutrient intake targets and then give someone a rough caloric guideline to fall within (like if someone eats 4000 calories a day that isn't good unless they are excessively active). After that, unless the weight gain is excessive or, in the case of those who don't gain enough weight, the baby's growth isn't sufficient or the woman tests deficient in specific nutrients, leave it alone. 

• Options
    I honestly think that most people are just brain dead, socially awkward and inappropriate. Some people just feel the need to say something- anything and it always winds up being some sort of stupidity flying out of their mouths. I just brush everything off and ignore people because 99.9% of them have absolutely no clue what they are even talking about. In addition, just keep in mind, we are growing little humans inside of us- our bodies WILL change to accommodate them, and some of our bodies will react differently throughout the process
  • Options
    salbbsalbb member
    Sorry to bring this thread back but I couldn't see twatwaffle yet and I need to vent!!
    so work person who I deal with by phone only talking about my pregnancy and asks 'have you gained much weight?' 
    I mean WHAT????? and freaking WHY??? so sick of everyone's opinions on my body. This was after a cracking MIL one at the weekend - asked me what I had gained, me stupidly said, then I get 'Oooh that's a lot' WELL ACTUALLY LADY IT ISNT its fine - 
    i am ok, midwife ok and baby ok so back the heck up!

wish I could gif !! 
  • Options
    People are so weird. I got the most random mix of comments this weekend about my body. Some people told me I was tiny, some said I looked super pregnant, some said I looked great/glowing/beautiful, some said they barely could recognize me. It was so overwhelming. I am really trying to ignore all the lame ass comments about my body, because they aren't going away anytime soon, still got 9 weeks of that crap!
  • Options
    salbbsalbb member
    @laurenmdrn16 @wsgjmw1
    and at nearly 32 weeks and really couldn't give a fig (imagine curse word!) what they think - I am annoyed as it is so ingrained now that when people DONT comment I notice too!!! 
  • Options
    @laurenmdrn16 Omg. The comments never end now. I literally got stopped by 5 people at work yesterday and only one of them I ever really talk to. It's been like this every day now for like the past week. One person even said 'Oh you're at the cute bump stage right now. Just you wait a few weeks. You'll be miserable.'. Um, thanks? I just walked away... I don't know what you even say to someone who says something like that. Luckily no touching yet. I think DH might freak out if he were with me. He's very protective of the bump. Lol.
  • Options
    A nanny at preschool yesterday told me my belly was getting big. I should hope so, there's a baby in it. Luckily no one tries to touch me, but my FIL did last time. I let him because he seemed so excited about it, but that was a one time pass. 
  • Options
    I had an unpleasant experience this weekend when my group of "friends" spent most of the evening discussing how and why my belly is bigger than another friend who is due six weeks before me. It was a bit taken aback because I've only gained about 4 pounds this pregnancy and was actually worried that I'm not putting on enough weight. But apparently I am "huge" and "carrying low" and "definitely having a boy", according to them. I really wish people would keep their opinions of my body to themselves! 

On a related note - my lack of weight gain does seem weird and this is not a humble brag as I actually feel like I'm losing muscle mass and my body is just generally turning to mush. Has anyone else felt this way? I'm guessing I should be trying to work out but with all of the aches and pains, as well as the exhaustion, I can't imagine trying to up my activity level too much at this stage. 
  • Options
     I gained close to 25 pounds so far. It's all belly and a bit in the thighs. People are constantly commenting about how small my body is but how huge and sharp my belly is. They used to ask me if I was sure it was just one in there and now they just tell me to not fall over. I have to say- nothing bothers me lately. I guess my focus is on the mademoiselle that constantly reminds me she's coming soon with her jabs and kicks. I just didn't expect to have such a big baby in measurement considering husbands and my stature. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was so thankful to my midwife on Wednesday for NOT mentioning my weight. It might be because I'm 8 months and they're just done trying to get me to stay in a certain boundary!