May 2016 Moms

Weight Gain Shaming

Re: Weight Gain Shaming

• Merciel said:
    I get a lot of "you look so cute" / "what a cute bump!"-type comments too. I don't think it's at all a humblebrag to say that -- I think that's just the nicest and least offensive generic comment that people can give to a pregnant lady (other than "congratulations," which only works the first time), so it's the one that people whip out most often.

You'd have to stretch pretty hard to take offense to that one, IMO. It's just a nice little nothing.
    I'm not offended, I just know sometimes they're saying it just to say it. Like you said, it's the least offensive generic comment people can give. On days when I am definitely, in no way cute, I'd just rather they not say anything is all I'm saying.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know what it is, but this week I've gotten a lot of "wow! You really popped!!". My bump popped like a month ago, where have these people been?
    one person asked if I preferred the word ballooned or blossomed. Uh...what?
  • JoMunson said:
    I don't know what it is, but this week I've gotten a lot of "wow! You really popped!!". My bump popped like a month ago, where have these people been?
    one person asked if I preferred the word ballooned or blossomed. Uh...what?
    The same - All week long. 
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • The comment i hate the most: "you look swell". That one makes me feel huge every time. And given the swelling im starting to get m my feet etc, nope i hate it. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • I've always struggled with body image issues and was definitely at the heaviest I've ever been when I became pregnant. So I've been really excited about not having gained much weight at all, only 9lbs so far. Well yesterday me and some old friends were getting breakfast from the breakfast at the hotel we were all at this weekend and they had these cinnamon rolls that smelt amazing. So I grab one and one of my friends was like looks like you're giving in to all your cravings, better be careful so you don't gain a lot in this last trimester. I was taken aback, especially because her and the other two girls ate way more for breakfast than I did. 
  • NinnyJean said:
    I've always struggled with body image issues and was definitely at the heaviest I've ever been when I became pregnant. So I've been really excited about not having gained much weight at all, only 9lbs so far. Well yesterday me and some old friends were getting breakfast from the breakfast at the hotel we were all at this weekend and they had these cinnamon rolls that smelt amazing. So I grab one and one of my friends was like looks like you're giving in to all your cravings, better be careful so you don't gain a lot in this last trimester. I was taken aback, especially because her and the other two girls ate way more for breakfast than I did. 
    Sounds like she's lucky you weren't crazing her head, because I would have bitten it off. 

Only up 0.4 lbs this week! Win considering last week I was up 4.0 lbs.
  • NinnyJean said:
    I've always struggled with body image issues and was definitely at the heaviest I've ever been when I became pregnant. So I've been really excited about not having gained much weight at all, only 9lbs so far. Well yesterday me and some old friends were getting breakfast from the breakfast at the hotel we were all at this weekend and they had these cinnamon rolls that smelt amazing. So I grab one and one of my friends was like looks like you're giving in to all your cravings, better be careful so you don't gain a lot in this last trimester. I was taken aback, especially because her and the other two girls ate way more for breakfast than I did. 
    Wow, that friend would have gotten some food thrown in their face if it was me. But not the cinnamon roll - because those are meant to be eaten.
  • edited February 2016
    I also want a cinnamon roll.  If pregnancy insomnia keeps it up I will be driving in 1 hour to the nearest donut place that opens in 1 hour to get said cinnamon roll.  Maybe even 2 and freeze 1.  And by freeze one I probably mean eat it too, on the way home.  Because I am pregnant.  And that is what pregnant people do.   But maybe 1 will make it to the freezer.  Who knows?  In the big scheme of things it doesn't matter.  But cinnamon rolls are delicious.  And that does matter.
  • edited March 2016
    I am a small person and generally eat a healthy diet and weigh myself everyday when not pregnant.   

Last pregnancy after I hit the 30 pound mark I started to stress out a lot because I was eating healthy and swimming and still gaining. My doctor said it was fine and all my vitals were fine.  So I followed my friend's advice and simply stopped looking at the scale at the doctor and at home.  It didn't matter and became a non issue as I did what I always did and let my body do its thing and instead focused on the baby. 

Glad I took that advice as I was back at my normal weight before LO's 1st birthday. My body does its thing for growing a human being and Iife goes on. 
  • edited February 2016
    I'm a FTM and in the beginning of my 2nd trimester I was nervous about gaining too much weight during my pregnancy. It wasn't until I focused my thoughts off myself and on to my growing baby girl inside of me that I started to feel better and more confident about myself. I try to eat well because what I eat goes directly to my baby. I can worry and exercise as much as I want once baby isn't inside of me. I can honestly say that changing my mind frame about weight gain during pregnancy has made me so much happier and my pregnancy more pleasant. I am also very lucky to have a great husband who tells me how beautiful I look with our baby girl inside of me. Full of life! Good luck ladies and remember to love yourself because your baby is depending on you! :-)
  • People tell me my belly doesn't look very big for 6 months...which I guess is good, but in a way it's bad because I know I've gained 26 pounds in 26 weeks...so where exactly did all that weight go???? Must have gone to other parts of my body :(

• People tell me my belly doesn't look very big for 6 months...which I guess is good, but in a way it's bad because I know I've gained 26 pounds in 26 weeks...so where exactly did all that weight go???? Must have gone to other parts of my body :(

It could also just be how you carry the weight - for some women, 26 pounds to the belly looks bigger or smaller than others. :)
  • I hate all the comments on appearance. I always have, even prior to becoming pregnant. We have a trainer come in to my office to work with a group of us a few times a week. I stopped going (this was pre pregnancy) because I felt uncomfortable with how attentive to my appearance the group and trainers were. It was all meant to be complimentary stuff but I don't want someone giving me the up and down and telling me they are noticing my thighs look smaller when I never had a problem with the size of my thighs to begin with. My objective in joining the class was to get strong, not to get smaller thighs. It makes me then realIze how much this person was paying attention to my thighs beforehand. Which gives me the yuckies.

So I am not thrilled about that aspect of pregnancy (the frequent unsolicited comments on appearance). It also makes me look back at every 'compliment' I gave a pregnant woman with regret. I use that recollection to remind myself that people all
    mean well and that this is a relatively trivial concern in the grand scheme of things. But yes, yuck.
  • It's so strange.... In the first trimester, I lost 5 pounds and everyone was like: you need to eat! You are feeding two! You don't look pregnant.
    now at 31 weeks I'm 19 pounds up, still average I would think, but people start saying, wow, you changed fast! When are you due???
    just give me a break! I'm healthy, my doctor is not concerned others shouldn't be concerned either.
    i do feel uncomfortable, never been this big in my life, but also never carried a baby! I just want to focus on the fact that I'm a mum soon! Who cares about those weight issues then?! New life is the greatest miracle!
  • Way to go @laurenmdrn16 - that's a big accomplishment!

I think what we have to keep in mind with the weight gain guidelines is that they are based on average birth results. If someone eats more, they are more likely to get adequate amounts of nutrients to sustain fetal growth. Hence the average being 25 - 35 lbs. However, it's strictly an average and doesn't take into account a variety of things:

Your starting weight and corresponding metabolic rate. At 265 lbs you need far more calories to sustain that weight than you do at 200 lbs for example. So asking someone who is 265 to gain 25 - 35 lbs (or even 15 lbs) is already asking them to intake far, far more calories (and presumably nutrients) than someone at 200
    lbs. That makes no sense to me. The baby's nutritional needs don't change from that of a slimmer person so why the much larger required intake of calories and nutrients. My gut on this is that scientific studies done delved only into a correlation between weight gain and resulting fetal weight. That doesn't really address that the nutrient intake also fluctuates based on food intake/weight gain and that the increased nutrients could actually be a bigger factor in driving optimal fetal weight. If someone does have a link to a further study on this, I would love to see it. But I haven't been able to find anything on it. 

People should aim to eat BETTER rather than just more during pregnancy. Not saying we all succeed but just saying that's a better guideline that simply just eating MORE. The goal should be to maximize nutrient intake. So in your example @laurenmdrn16 you improved your eating quality, not quantity. So your nutrient intake went way up, even if your calories did not (it's harder to overeat on healthy stuff). That your doctor is supportive of this and your baby is doing well, confirms my theory that the fetal health studies and resulting weight gain guidelines are more about increasing your nutrient intake rather than an arbitrary need for the body to put on x lbs of body fat, regardless of starting weight. 

Anyways, sorry for the long ramble. It's been a subject I've been doing a lot of thinking about as of late
  • Convo I had the other day with an older man I work with:

Him: So many women around here having babies
    Me: Yep
    Him: It's interesting...I was talking to my wife last night. The fashion has really changed. 
    Me: IN what way?
    Him: Well, it used to be that women wore long, wavy shirts to hide their bump. But now, it seems like the style is to show it off. 
    Me: [Crickets] (As a rule, I don't respond to backhanded judgey comments)
    Him: Well, it's just interesting! Congratulations. 
    Me: Thanks!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• vinerie said:
    Convo I had the other day with an older man I work with:

Him: It's interesting...I was talking to my wife last night. The fashion has really changed. 
    Him: Well, it used to be that women wore long, wavy shirts to hide their bump. But now, it seems like the style is to show it off. 
    I got a comment like that the other day. I just ignored it and walked away... Also another time DH and I were having lunch somewhere and I overheard 2 people (teenage-ish girls) commenting about how 'gross' it was for people to show off their pregnant stomach like that while looking in our direction. DH heard them and almost went over and said something but I had to remind him to be the bigger person. It also gave me some satisfaction that they'll be in for a rude awakening one day. :wink: 

But yeah... I dont understand some people. It's really not hard to mind your own business and I'm sure they wouldn't like it if I commented on their physical appearance.
  • dsmith211 said:
    vinerie said:

I got a comment like that the other day. I just ignored it and walked away... Also another time DH and I were having lunch somewhere and I overheard 2 people (teenage-ish girls) commenting about how 'gross' it was for people to show off their pregnant stomach like that while looking in our direction. DH heard them and almost went over and said something but I had to remind him to be the bigger person. It also gave me some satisfaction that they'll be in for a rude awakening one day. :wink: 

But yeah... I dont understand some people. It's really not hard to mind your own business and I'm sure they wouldn't like it if I commented on their physical appearance.
    Heh. Wonder how much they'd freak out if they saw a pregnant woman dare to wear a bikini at the beach!
  • I hate all the comments on appearance. I always have, even prior to becoming pregnant. We have a trainer come in to my office to work with a group of us a few times a week. I stopped going (this was pre pregnancy) because I felt uncomfortable with how attentive to my appearance the group and trainers were. It was all meant to be complimentary stuff but I don't want someone giving me the up and down and telling me they are noticing my thighs look smaller when I never had a problem with the size of my thighs to begin with. My objective in joining the class was to get strong, not to get smaller thighs. It makes me then realIze how much this person was paying attention to my thighs beforehand. Which gives me the yuckies.

So I am not thrilled about that aspect of pregnancy (the frequent unsolicited comments on appearance). It also makes me look back at every 'compliment' I gave a pregnant woman with regret. I use that recollection to remind myself that people all
    mean well and that this is a relatively trivial concern in the grand scheme of things. But yes, yuck.
    I'm with you. I've been looking back and cringing at every 'compliment' I've ever given my pregnant co-workers, family and friends. I meant well but I clearly had no idea what it is like to be the recipient of so many comments about my body as a pregnant woman. I will be so much more sensitive from now on.
  • vinerie said:

My father-in-law's girlfriend said something similar not too long ago, and I still have no idea what to make of it. Was I supposed to feel bad that I'm not wearing giant drapey tent clothes? Would that just be reading way too much into what was meant as a noncommittal observation?

I guess it doesn't really matter because I hardly ever see her and I'm pretty sure she didn't mean anything by it anyway, but it was a weird comment.
  • wsgjmw1wsgjmw1 member
    edited March 2016

vinerie said:

Funny you bring this up because an older female co worker said something along these lines the other day. She went on to explain how back in her day women wore REAL maternity clothes that concealed the bump and nowadays women wear tight ridiculous clothing to show it off, and how its inappropriate and looks terrible. I just stared at her .
  • Merciel said:
    vinerie said:

My father-in-law's girlfriend said something similar not too long ago, and I still have no idea what to make of it. Was I supposed to feel bad that I'm not wearing giant drapey tent clothes? Would that just be reading way too much into what was meant as a noncommittal observation?

I guess it doesn't really matter because I hardly ever see her and I'm pretty sure she didn't mean anything by it anyway, but it was a weird comment.
    LOL giant droopy tents. SORRY we arent wearing giant potato sacks or baggggggy sweatshirts. If I have to put my body thru hell and back for this pregnancy you're DAMN right im showing this bump !!!
  • wsgjmw1 said:

vinerie said:

Funny you bring this up because an older female co worker said something along these lines the other day. She went on to explain how back in her day women wore REAL maternity clothes that concealed the bump and nowadays women wear tight ridiculous clothing to show it off, and how its inappropriate and looks terrible. I just stared at her .
    That lady needs to shut up!  At a certain point you really can't conceal the bump, back in her day women were in denial and just looked like pregnant women in huge ridiculous clothing.
  • arj14arj14 member
    Re: tent-y / flow-y maternity clothes back in the day... I think I just read a piece online (Mental Floss maybe?) that those styles were worn because to see a woman's baby bump was just a public reminder that she was having  / had the sexxors (cue gasps and shame, please).

Weight wise, I've personally been pretty lucky that the only person who has commented on it directly is my FIL.  3 - 4 weeks ago when my bump wasn't quite so bump-like, he said something along the lines of "oh that's barely anything, people just think you look like me!" and then laughed and shook his large beer gut.

I mostly forgive him because he was high at the time so he was even less self-filtering than usual, but that is a whole 'nother discussion.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • :blush: errm I totally wear flowy/hide-y pregnancy tops. I'm not a fan of showing off the bump. I'm fine with OTHERS showing off THEIR bumps...I just can't embrace mine
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• wsgjmw1 said:

vinerie said:

SO obnoxious. Nobody is showing off or being inappropriate, people just follow the fashion trends of the time. I am not at all fashion-forward, I just wear whatever is sold in stores, and most of the maternity clothes is more form-fitting, so that's what I'm used to seeing, so that's what I wear. If everyone was wearing droopy tents, I would too, because I'd probably be used to it and like it better. What an idiot.
  • Way to go @laurenmdrn16 - that's a big accomplishment!

I think what we have to keep in mind with the weight gain guidelines is that they are based on average birth results. If someone eats more, they are more likely to get adequate amounts of nutrients to sustain fetal growth. Hence the average being 25 - 35 lbs. However, it's strictly an average and doesn't take into account a variety of things:

Your starting weight and corresponding metabolic rate. At 265 lbs you need far more calories to sustain that weight than you do at 200 lbs for example. So asking someone who is 265 to gain 25 - 35 lbs (or even 15 lbs) is already asking them to intake far, far more calories (and presumably nutrients) than someone at 200
    lbs. That makes no sense to me. The baby's nutritional needs don't change from that of a slimmer person so why the much larger required intake of calories and nutrients. My gut on this is that scientific studies done delved only into a correlation between weight gain and resulting fetal weight. That doesn't really address that the nutrient intake also fluctuates based on food intake/weight gain and that the increased nutrients could actually be a bigger factor in driving optimal fetal weight. If someone does have a link to a further study on this, I would love to see it. But I haven't been able to find anything on it. 

People should aim to eat BETTER rather than just more during pregnancy. Not saying we all succeed but just saying that's a better guideline that simply just eating MORE. The goal should be to maximize nutrient intake. So in your example @laurenmdrn16 you improved your eating quality, not quantity. So your nutrient intake went way up, even if your calories did not (it's harder to overeat on healthy stuff). That your doctor is supportive of this and your baby is doing well, confirms my theory that the fetal health studies and resulting weight gain guidelines are more about increasing your nutrient intake rather than an arbitrary need for the body to put on x lbs of body fat, regardless of starting weight. 

Anyways, sorry for the long ramble. It's been a subject I've been doing a lot of thinking about as of late
    YES!! YES TO THIS!
    i was just telling my DH yesterday (during a brief freak out over my 33 pound weight gain at 30 weeks) that I understand the 25-35 pound gain recommendation, but I wish they out more focus on what foods you're eating. We all get a little lecture on what not to eat, but I at least wish at our super short "how you feeling?" Appointments they took a minute to ask us what kinds of foods we were eating and did a little nutritional counseling.
    maybe that's too much to ask, but I think what this pregnancy has taught me is that the weight gain/not gain issue is just a really confusing and emotional fog! It should be more clear!

• Your starting weight and corresponding metabolic rate. At 265 lbs you need far more calories to sustain that weight than you do at 200 lbs for example. So asking someone who is 265 to gain 25 - 35 lbs (or even 15 lbs) is already asking them to intake far, far more calories (and presumably nutrients) than someone at 200 lbs. That makes no sense to me. The baby's nutritional needs don't change from that of a slimmer person so why the much larger required intake of calories and nutrients. My gut on this is that scientific studies done delved only into a correlation between weight gain and resulting fetal weight. That doesn't really address that the nutrient intake also fluctuates based on food intake/weight gain and that the increased nutrients could actually be a bigger factor in driving optimal fetal weight. If someone does have a link to a further study on this, I would love to see it. But I haven't been able to find anything on it. 

I've been thinking about this, too! The standard recommendations are for thin ladies are to gain more weight (25-40 lbs), for average ladies to gain (25-35 lbs), and for fat ladies to gain less (15-25 lbs).

That makes *no* sense to me!!!  It seems to assume that skinny women aren't eating enough pre-pregnancy and that that's not just their normal body size, and that fat women are eating too much pre-pregnancy and that that's not just their normal body size. Like, once you start eating healthy your body is going to float back to some universal feminine "normal." Not actually how it works there.

The baby adds weight, as does the placenta, the amniotic fluid, and all the uterine extras.  Those should be the same regardless of a woman's weight, right?  But pregnancy also makes us more filled with fluid (blood and mucus), of which larger women will presumably have/need more and thinner women will have/need less. It literally makes no sense to me that a heavier woman should be expected to gain less, unless the doctors are using this as a sneaky way to recommend weight loss.

But I haven't been able to find any research that explains the reasoning behind those weight recommendations.
  • @dshannah I completely agree with your comments! I am on the obese end (was at low end of morbidly obese and lost over 62 pounds in 1 1/2 years before getting pregnant to get down to the top end of overweight). My exercise and food are in line with maintenance/slow loss from my lowest prepregnancy weight, yet I've put on 30 pounds at 30 weeks.

To say that I'm overeating at around 2,000 calories and walking 10,000+ steps a day at my height/weight would be insulting. However, by common logic, I 'must' be overeating to be gaining so much.

Ironically, most people still can't tell that I'm pregnant even though all the weight has gone to my tummy and boobs. Most ladies I've met say that they stuck out way farther at that stage.

So, somehow I'm eating at maintenance(or slightly less), gaining too much weight, and at the same time, do not really look like I'm pregnant yet.

I give up!