May 2016 Moms
Options

Glucose results discussion

Re: Glucose results discussion

• Options
    @JessicaB0627 - Thanks! As it turns out, my doctor is not worries, said I fell below 140 and that I'm in the clear so ... waffle ice cream sandwiches for dinner tonight? :P 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just now doing my 1 hr glucose test, pretty sure I will fail because I always fail that one and then pass the 3 hr. I hate the drink. 
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just now doing my 1 hr glucose test, pretty sure I will fail because I always fail that one and then pass the 3 hr. I hate the drink. 
    I'm sorry you have to go through the 1 hour again! It's too bad they wouldn't let you just go straight to the 3 hour.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I passed my 1-hour test!

It helps the drink go down easier if you bring a straw.

• Options
    I passed my 1 hour test! It only took drinking that stuff 3 times. So relieved!
  • Options
    Passed my one hour glucose!! Yes!! Didn't pass my anemia test. Probably because I'm really lazy about taking my b12. More spinach for this girl!
  • Options
    Also passed my 1 hr. Soooo glad I made them change the order for that instead of doing a 2 hr. Also anemic over here @JoMunson My midwife suggested something called blood builder by mega food as a supplement. 
  • Options
    @mmemartinez I was happy to read anemia doesn't usually affect the baby, just the mom. I also saw that we need at least 30 mg of iron. Im going to start my b12 supplements again since I can't get that from my diet, and I'm going to really monitor how much iron I get from my food. 
    Passingv the glucose though- so much anxiety and stress relieved!!
  • Options
    I called them because they said I would hear yesterday, and I found out I got a 98! Pumped!
  • Options
    I FINALLY took that test at 28/6. Dude I'm exhausted. I'm about to head back to work but I'm not sure I'll be able to stay awake and make it the whole afternoon. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    took my 1 hr this morning!  hope I passed, but either way, it is done.  I had insomnia over this last night. boo!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    Just found out I passed my 1 hour with a 102! The cutoff is 135. So happy it's done. 
  • Options
    Just heard I passed with a 96! I started this pregnancy already overweight and have gained so I'm thankful my results are good. I was mentally prepared to taking the 3 hour.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I know this is for glucose, but just a bit of a warning:
    my midwife does a glucose/iron screening at the same time. They said my iron was low and I thought (as seen in my post above) "oh no big deal, I'll eat more spinach and take my b12". Called them today to confirm- turns out it was dangerously low! Like could have needed a transfusion at birth low! I got my supplements and my algae so I can start ramping it up, but if they say you're glucose is fine but your iron is a little low, make sure you ask them HOW low so you know HOW aggressive to be about getting your iron back up!
  • Options
    What was everyone's cutoff?  My result was 134.  I think my doctor's cutoff was 135 - I'm not sure and I have an appt on Monday. Cutting it close!

Mama to Three Girls: 

• Options
    @JennyS86 My Dr's office today said their cut off was 130.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    mcb2016  thanks! ...but of course I hope mine is 135 or 140!

Mama to Three Girls: 

• Options
    I failed my 1 hour with a 138, my doctors office cut off is 135! I'm so dreading to do the 3 hour test tomorrow morning , just praying I'll pass
  • Options
    Hebah4 said:
    I failed my 1 hour with a 138, my doctors office cut off is 135! I'm so dreading to do the 3 hour test tomorrow morning , just praying I'll pass
    GL tomorrow! Ill be thinking of ya!
  • Options
    Ha, I'm in the exact same boat. Found out today that my practice uses a cutoff of 135, and I scored 138, so it's the three-hour test for me on Wednesday.

blugh

I really wish I'd pregamed better before doing the 1-hour test. I was just so stupidly overconfident, and then welp, I blew it by THREE POINTS.

I would be a lot less cranky about this if the rate of false positives weren't so high. With a cutoff of 140, the NIH stats show that 66.7% of women who go on to take the three-hour test are not subsequently diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and there's a 1996 Lundy study floating around that shows even more false positives: for a 1-hour result of 140 to 145, only 18% of those women went on to fail the three-hour test. That is an 82% false positive rate.

I am not super stoked about effectively losing a workday to do this, given those odds.
  • Options
    I skipped the one hour glucose test and my OB had me do the 2 hour test (it's diagnostic so it was the same as the 3 hour). I had to fast before hand and then get blood drawn, drink the liquid, wait an hour, more blood drawn, wait another hour and get more blood drawn. I wasn't allowed to leave the clinic waiting area and they didn't want me doing much activity. I passed my test. I received the diagnostic test right away as I was at risk for preterm birth and, should they have had to deliver the steroid shots (which they did three days after the glucose test), I would be unable to take the glucose test for a while plus my body my not react well if I did actually have GD. Apparently the steroid shots elevate your blood sugar considerably. 

One tip for people who eat a lower carb diet (I don't intentionally limited my macros but due to my diet I tend to err on the lower side by default): make sure you eat a min of 150 grams of carbs three days in advance of your test or you could get a false positive. I aimed for 200 grams three days prior. In general, that's what most people should be told, but most people don't have an issue getting to 150 grams so it's not generally mentioned. I don't know if this is also true for the one hour test. 
  • Options
    Passed the 1 hour! However, I'm anemic as well. My doctor suggested I start taking an iron supplement. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    DelitachanDelitachan member
    edited February 2016
    Failed the one hour test with a reading of 160 (and that was FASTING plus the juice). I'm not confident I'll pass the 3-hour if my sugar is that high with just a juice. Not anemic, though.

I get it, I ate out too much this second trimester but I've gained maybe 6 pounds since I got pregnant (lost a lot during the 1st trimester) and the baby is measuring on target (not bigger or smaller).

I go for the 3-hr one this Friday.
  • Options
    I failed my 3-hour test :( Waiting to hear from the "Sweet Success" program about what to do next. Le sigh :( 
  • Options
    I passed my 1 hour test and also (just barely) passed my anemia test as well!

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    Delitachan said:
    Failed the one hour test with a reading of 160 (and that was FASTING plus the juice). I'm not confident I'll pass the 3-hour if my sugar is that high with just a juice. Not anemic, though.

I get it, I ate out too much this second trimester but I've gained maybe 6 pounds since I got pregnant (lost a lot during the 1st trimester) and the baby is measuring on target (not bigger or smaller).

I go for the 3-hr one this Friday.
    I am in the same boat Delitachan! Failed the 1hr and have the 3hr one next week. Hope yours goes well.
  • Options
    Found out I passed my 1 hr! Yay!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I had failed my one hour with 133. My doctors cut off was 130. I ate normal food on the day of test. Thought I should have cut down some carbs and would have passed but was pretty confident that I would pass the 3 hour. Did 3 hour test on Monday and was shocked that I failed all 3 tests after the drink :(  Only passed the fasting one with 88. My husband is like why do they give you such high glucose drink and expect to pass  :D anyways have to meet the doc tomorrow to go over my diet plan. Didn't expect to get GD even after barely eating any sweets from the beginning of pregnancy and being very active. Feeling very sad - should have eaten lots of sweets earlier since now cannot eat for next 5 months :#
  • Options
    I feel your pain @prayingformybaby I thought I would pass my 3 hour and didn't (failed the 1st & 2nd draw). I tried so hard this pregnancy to not gain too much weight (holding steady at 12lbs gain), keep walking at least, and eat (kinda) healthy.  I met with the dietitian yesterday for the 1st time. Now I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to eat for dinner. 

Together 11/2008
    Married 9/29/2012
    BFP #1 8/26/15
    EDD 5/6/2016
  • Options
    Thanks @Sienna516 ! This is my first pregnancy and when I was trying to conceive last year I had heard all this stuff from one of my friend since she had both GD and preclampsia. And I was like oh she must have eaten too much sweets or must not be active. I will do everything right from the beginning  :D I used to think then pregnancy is so good time u just enjoy those 9 months. Now I am feeling as if enjoying pregnancy is a myth  :D . The moment you start enjoying there comes a problem! I used to get freaked out in first trimester and was waiting for it to get over. I used to think 2nd trimester must be so relaxing :D But even in 2nd trimester some or the other things makes me worry and  I thought in 3rd trimester there will be nothing to worry about  :D but now I definitely doubt after getting GD. never ever knew pregnancy can be so complicated  :D 
  • Options
    @prayingformybaby lol I totally get you. I was telling my husband, wow pregnancy isn't as bad as I expected! I thought this was going to be way worse, but I felt like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and BOOM GD! Everyone thought I was a nut for worrying about GD, telling me nah you won't have it. don't worry about it. Now that I have it, everyone is trying to tell me, well it's not so bad right? and I have a phobia of needles, so a lot of people are telling me, oh look now you can get over that! I'm getting better at dealing with it, but it's still really difficult for me. I still didn't figure out what to eat for dinner yet lol.

Together 11/2008
    Married 9/29/2012
    BFP #1 8/26/15
    EDD 5/6/2016
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @Sienna516 - I get you  :) well hoping things don't get bad than this for the rest of pregnancy for both of us  :) and hopefully I can get out of this GD after pregnancy so I can enjoy my sweet dishes again ;) my husband says he totally cannot understand the concept behind GD  :D especially the 1 hour test where we have to eat whole day plus drink 50 gms of sugar and then get results in the range of people who are not pregnant (below 130)  :D I said I will ask the doctor tomorrow  :)
  • Options
    I got my results today and passed!!! I was really nervous bc prior to going to my appt I ate Chickfila with a lemonade  (diabetes in a cup). Not my smartest moment.

My urine sample was 132 when I arrived, they pricked my finger as well prior to giving me the drink. The nurse had to clear with the dr to give me the drink bc my level was already high. 

The dr gave the okay and I had the orange flavor. It tasted like a flat sunkist. I drank it with a straw and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I did feel lije I was about to bounce off the walls for the hour as I waited for my blood work. 

Dr. Office called today and said I was at 113!!
  • Options
    I was with the same practice, same ob when I took the 1 hr gd test in April 2013. Last time they told me to eat a normal breakfast, drink the drink, and have my blood taken an hour later. This time they told me to fast. I was surprised at the discrepancy. I took the test Monday and I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming no news is good news as the nurse told me she would only call if there was an issue. I just really wanted to post about how that drink makes me dry heave. 
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if we see a shift toward doctors advising patients to fast before the 1-hour because it reduces the rate of false positives (which, as I posted previously in this thread, is really high).

If you actually have GD, you should presumably not be able to game the test that easily, since there actually is something throwing off your body's response there, but there are an awful lot of women getting misleading results on the 1-hour only to come back with perfectly normal results on the 3-hour. So, to the extent that doctors care about getting the most accurate possible results with the screening test and not ordering unnecessary labwork, it would seem to make sense to instruct patients to fast before doing that one.

I dunno, it just seems to me that if a screening test is coming back with anywhere from 82% to 66.7% false positives (and that's with a cutoff of 140), maybe we should be thinking about doing something to make that screen a little bit more reliable.

So to me, hearing that your doctor's practice changed its instructions between 2013 and now suggests that they're very probably adjusting their practice based on what the evidence reflects, which I would take as a pretty encouraging sign if I were a patient there. :)
  • Options
    ...aaand just to finish up my spamming of this thread, I got my 3-hour results back, so I'll post those just for the sake of finality:

Fasting: 73 (90 is the cutoff for "normal")
    1 hour: 119 (180 is the cutoff)
    2 hour: 135 (155 is the cutoff)
    3 hour: 115 (140 is the cutoff)

Zero abnormal results, although I did have a higher 2-hour than 1-hour, which is not that uncommon. Anecdotally it seems like a lot of women test above the threshold on that one and no others, just due to metabolizing sugar differently from the curve that the test predicts, which I guess is why you need at least two above-cutoff results to be diagnosed with GD.

Anyway that concludes this chapter for me. Best of luck to everyone still facing their tests. :)
  • Options
    I had my 1-hour test yesterday morning. My doctor's office was supposed to have faxed over the lab order, but it wasn't there when I arrived at the lab. I had to wait a half hour until my doctor's office opened before I could call and ask them to fax it. By the time the lab got it, I was already running almost an hour late. Grr! They gave me the room temperature lemon-lime drink, which tasted like a flat Sprite and wasn't as bad as I had anticipated (it was still pretty gross). After about an hour and ten minutes in the waiting room, I finally went up to the nurses desk and asked them to draw blood ASAP because I didn't want to do the damn test again. They did, and I got my results this morning (surprisingly fast). I passed with a 108. I'm really glad I don't have to do it again! Good luck, ladies!
  • Options
    Did anyone else have a low result?

I haven't found much information on getting an abnormally low result during the one-hour test (mine was 58). I ate a breakfast of poached eggs, greens, and toast, *and* had a piece of cake and a latte at the coffee shop while waiting for the lab tech to return from her break. I have a doc appointment on Monday, but thought I'd check in here to see if anyone else had a similar test result.