TTC #1 - Nov '14
BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing

Re: FFFC

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I may get flamed for this.  

I have an Uncle (my mother's oldest brother) who is weird and wealthy and by all accounts a reclusive complete bigoted jerk.  They live on the opposite side of the country and I've never met him, or his 46 year old mentally challenged daughter "Karen".  Karen has the mental capacity of a ten year old, and has acquired a Facebook account over the past years on which she's befriended various family members and posts really over affectionate and occasionally awkward things on their pages.  She's sent me several messages and friend requests, all of which I have completely ignored.  She seems really sweet and enthusiastic, but I've blocked my own MIL from seeing/posting things on my social media for the same reason and I just don't know how to deal with her nicely so I'm just pretending I never saw her messages and hoping she thinks its just a Facebook error preventing her from reaching me.  

Oh and also I prefer cats to dogs. 
  • Options
    @furbabymom2007 That is hilarious! I take my dog to doggy daycare too and basically do all the things you mentioned!
    Me: 29 years old, DH: 31 years old
    TTC #1 since July 2015
    SA Feb 2016 & May 2016: Excellent count and motility, 3% morphology
    Surgery Dec 2016: submucosal fibroid removed
    Awaiting RE appointment

• Options
    We're overflowing with garbage, and I'm supposed to do a dump-run today because I'm off, but... I really want to "forget" and tell hubby that my homework took a lot longer than I thought it would and it was due today.
    I have not forgotten, my homework isn't due until tomorrow, and I just finished it. Except for the case study. That's due on Sunday, so I'll be doing it on Sunday. Last minute is the best.

Andplusalso, I scold hubby about leaving the dog in his crate while we're home, since he's in there when we're away from home and while we sleep, but this morning I definitely put him back in his crate after letting him out, just to get a few minutes of "me time" without the dog under my feet...

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    On the dog topic...
    I've been letting my dog poop in the neighbor's (side) yard for the past few days because it is so damn cold and I just want her to do her business quickly.
  • Options

TW - I don't want this to sound insensitive to anyone having a hard time TTC...

Pet related FFFC here, but different direction. I can NOT stand when people try to suggest that having a pet is the same responsibility as having a child. It's almost the same, except for not even close to being the f-ing same.

I can totally leave out some food and water and leave the house for few days, my two year old will figure it out, right? It's cool if you don't want kids and are happy with your pet, but if you compare my child to your cat one more time, I'm going to get stabby.

Have you ever had to bottle feed a kitten?  I have.  Every 2 hours a Goddamn night.  Until they are weened they can't figure it out.

I concur they aren't the same as a human child but until they reach the 8 weeks phase they are just as helpless as a small child, FWIW.

@Itsnotyourturn - no I haven't but I did have a preemie who needed to be fed every 2 hours for months and pump every 2 hours as well to provide him food.... So there's that.

• Options
    I have another pet related confession...
    My bff is obsessed with cats and it makes me irrationally annoyed. She constantly talks about a cat she had that died over 3 years ago. I honestly could care less about said cat, or any of her other 5 cats! I also don't want to see a picture of her cats via text or social media every day.
  • Options

TW - I don't want this to sound insensitive to anyone having a hard time TTC...

Pet related FFFC here, but different direction. I can NOT stand when people try to suggest that having a pet is the same responsibility as having a child. It's almost the same, except for not even close to being the f-ing same.

I can totally leave out some food and water and leave the house for few days, my two year old will figure it out, right? It's cool if you don't want kids and are happy with your pet, but if you compare my child to your cat one more time, I'm going to get stabby.

I understand that they are not the same. But you also cannot compare your feelings to someone else's feelings. You are correct, people should not make the comparison to you. But you also can't tell them that the love they have for a pet is not real or not as good as if it was for a child. One type of love or feeling is not more or better than the other, they are just different.

Also... My older dog would not be able to figure it out if I left food out. He's a little derpy. ;)

Edit: I also want to add that when people tell me "I don't know what love is until I have a child" .... I get stabby as well. Best just to let people be happy with what makes them happy.

Word. I would never suggest the love isn't real, genuine, deep or otherwise. I didn't say that though. And whatever makes someone happy is good with me. It's not the same. Doesn't make it better or worse, but it's still not the same. There's one person in my life that tries to tell me it's the same. BTW - I have a dog that I love very much - I know how special pets are.

• Options
    TW - I don't want this to sound insensitive to anyone having a hard time TTC... Pet related FFFC here, but different direction. I can NOT stand when people try to suggest that having a pet is the same responsibility as having a child. It's almost the same, except for not even close to being the f-ing same. I can totally leave out some food and water and leave the house for few days, my two year old will figure it out, right? It's cool if you don't want kids and are happy with your pet, but if you compare my child to your cat one more time, I'm going to get stabby.
    Have you ever had to bottle feed a kitten?  I have.  Every 2 hours a Goddamn night.  Until they are weened they can't figure it out.

I concur they aren't the same as a human child but until they reach the 8 weeks phase they are just as helpless as a small child, FWIW.
    @Itsnotyourturn - no I haven't but I did have a preemie who needed to be fed every 2 hours for months and pump every 2 hours as well to provide him food.... So there's that.
    I was responding to your comparison of the level of helplessness a baby has to a pet.  I was not trying to imply you cared less for your child than I cared for my cat.  

I am sorry if that's how it came across.  
  • Options
    @Itsnotyourturn - no worries.

And I just want to clarify my opinion here without the quite tree insanity - my FFFC has nothing to do with someone's love of their pet versus a child...it's the respnsibility comparison that annoys me. Nothing to do with love comparison.
  • Options
    I would totally take my dog to doggy day care if it weren't so expensive. I'm still considering it for later in the semester when I'll have class or clinical every day. 

As it is, if we go to a movie or something we drop him off at H's parents so he can play with their dogs and he doesn't have to be lonely. 
  • Options
    Someone keeps stealing packages off our porch, so yesterday my husband filled an amazon box with garbage and rotten food and left it on the porch.  When we got back from the store it was gone.

I hope they enjoyed the surprise.
    This is totally a fear of mine! Good idea to get back at them.
  • Options
    Now that my parents have moved a plane ride away, my mom wants to Facetime with DS every week. Last week I pretended I missed it and didn't see her texts because my New Years resolution was to spend less time on my phone, but really, I didn't want to Facetime her because a) She didn't see him once a week before they moved, so why does she want to now? I'm not going to make it so she can "see" him more often now that's she's moved further away. I'm not going to let herself feel okay about her move by justifying it that she still "sees" him a lot and b) I hate Facetiming with her and DS. He usually just stares at her, doesn't answer her questions (he's not like this with other people) and then tries to end the call. 

Sorrynotsorry mom.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Options
    TW - I don't want this to sound insensitive to anyone having a hard time TTC... Pet related FFFC here, but different direction. I can NOT stand when people try to suggest that having a pet is the same responsibility as having a child. It's almost the same, except for not even close to being the f-ing same. I can totally leave out some food and water and leave the house for few days, my two year old will figure it out, right? It's cool if you don't want kids and are happy with your pet, but if you compare my child to your cat one more time, I'm going to get stabby.
    Kind of on this note... I have three pups that I love so much but my mom keeps says (literally every time we speak) how they are "good practice." My response, "Yeah I know! I think we're almost good enough to get another one!" I say it with zero sarcasm like I have no idea what she means and obviously getting another dog is the next step. I hate the plant or dog as practice thing so much.

Somewhat related... my FFFC is that I tell my mother that my husband and I have no desire to have kids. She has been dropping hints the past few months out of nowhere (she already has several grandchildren), but that just makes me want to tell her we're adopting goldfish instead. 200 of them. She's a crazy person and is the last person I would want knowing that we're TTC. 
  • Options
    What drives me bananas is that 75% off the packages they have taken were cat food.  How many times do you steal cat food before you knock it off?  Is there a high resale value on friskies I'm not aware of?  Dicks.  
    If there is, you should totally stock up and resell it yourself!  Second income! ;)