Baby Names

How do you feel about YOUR name?

edited October 2015 in Baby Names
I was just thinking how we talk a lot about different reasons for this name or that name, or reasons not to name this or name that. But i realized i myself never considered my own name, how i felt about it. So i was kind of interested to hear what others thought about their own names, what challenges or benefits you found to having them and if you knew the process for choosing it, how you felt about that. Not that it drastically changes anything but i think its interesting to consider and hear how other people with those names felt about them, especially if they are names others are considering using! Of course last names do not need to be included.

I myself am Chloe Alexis. (89')
I have never felt particularly connected to my name and actually really loathe ever needing to say it out loud, but i cant really give you a straight answer on why.
On one aspect i really liked having a name that very few other people had, even though its popular now. I was happy to not be another one of the extremely popular names of my generation.
But i always found it really cool when i actually did come across another Chloe, cause it was like we were in a secret Chloe club, to this day i still enjoy knowing other adult Chloes.
I actually have a running game with my friend Chloe, in which we text each other Starbucks drinks each time we get them because almost no one can spell Chloe right. 
Most of the time we get Chole, or Cloe. But we have gotten extremely odd ones such as Tobi, Padee, and of course the dreaded Khloe.
I was called Kai-Low at my tech school graduation, to the point that i didnt even know they were calling me and didnt stand up right away.
I have also been called Cho-Lee more times than i can count. I have a habit of always spelling my name out loud each and every time someone is asking for it but that usually doesn't help. It also doesnt help that both my maiden and married last names are both apparently very hard for people to spell as well. 
I was named this based on a book my mother was reading though she has never been able to turn up the name of said book. 
She said she chose Alexis because it was the only thing that she felt went with my first and last name.

Re: How do you feel about YOUR name?

• I'm Catherine Grace.  Growing up I didn't like my name so much, as I wanted something trendy and uncommon.  Even now I feel the name "Cathy" is kind of dated, and I don't like the nn Kate.  For my professional life (designer/illustrator) I switch between Cat and Catherine.  I kind of like the way Catherine Grace sounds dignified (though I'm far from it!)
  • Megan Kay born in 1990 - I lucked out and was the only one in my grade k-12 but there were 2 above and 3 behind in a district that averages about 100 grads per year. And among the 5 of us there were 4 different spellings. It's definitely something I think about with names with multiple spellings - even if we spell the name "right" they will still constantly have to spell it because people will always have to ask.
    Kay is a family name (we're up to 4 generations of the middle name now) so it's more than filler at this point.

Overall, I pretty neutral about my name, but it has made me reconsider names like Isabelle/Isabel and Sophia/Sofia that have multiple common spellings.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Brenda Kay. I never have really liked it, but it hasn't caused me any big issues. The only thing I really hated as a child was that my first and last initials were BM! (Got rid of that when I married)
  • Roxanne Leigh. As a child I hated my name because I was shy and everyone sang to me. I never had a classmate with the same name so I sometimes wished I had a common name. I now like my name due to its rarity but I would never name my child Roxanne. People still sing the song like I haven't heard it a million times! Some even ask if I know there are songs with my name in it?! Seriously lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Andrea Elizabeth. I luckily did not have any others in my classes except I used to sit next to an Amanda and we would get confused. I always liked my name and a lot of people call me Andi so I grew to like tomboyish names for girls. The only thing I didn't like about my name is a lot of people mispronounce it, it got worse as I got older. I pronounce it AN dree ah, not Ahn-dray-ah. I had names on my baby name list that are harder to mispronounce. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My name was a trendy one which when I say it people can guess my age within a couple years. This is why I personally hate Trendy names. Jennifer.

• Jennifer here too... Jennifer Marie. I've never really liked my name at all. I've gone by Jen so long that when someone calls me Jennifer I cringe.

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • My name is Cadance (pronounce K-dense) Lee. The real spelling is cadence, but apparently my parents thought it would be "cooler" spelled differently. 95% of the time people read it at Candace, and I constantly have to correct them, and also spell it. I've never gone by Cadance though. Still to this day I go by Cadie (k-d), again the real spelling would be Katie, but... yup.... my parents. Sigh. On a good note though, Cadence seems to becoming slightly more popular, so it's not unusual to people any more. But in all reality I've secretly resented my folks for not giving me a normal name. My 3 kids all have normal easy to read and spell names as will baby #4.
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    edited October 2015
    Lauren Clayton '88

I always wanted to be a Jessica growing up ;) I hated having a middle name that was a boys name (it's my mom's maiden name).

Now as a soon to be mom, I love that everyone knows how to say and spell my name and that it ages well. I love that my name is never an issue or something I'm embarrassed of. I also love that my middle name is a meaningful name and not a "filler" name.

My parents other choices were Gertrude, Francesca or Sarah Jane.

Whenever I think of those, I am THRILLED I'm Lauren!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I technically have traditionally male FN & MN (so does my sister) but they both were heavily female leaning by the time we were born. 

My name fits me, I wouldn't pick it for my own DD but it works. I'm just glad my parents gave me a full formal first name because I gave up my NN as childish in high school.
  • Rebecca Catherine. Growing up I didn't really like it and went by Becca which was okay, now that I'm older I go by full name and think it's pretty and also like that it's not super common, at least in my area
  • Lisa Michelle '90

I always thought my name was plain and I disliked that I had several friends with moms named Lisa. I only ever had two other Lisa's when I was in school (both in different grades) besides several teachers named Lisa.

I loved my middle name especially because my sisters told me I was named after Full House which I loved! (My mom says she just liked the name though) However, as an adult I wish I had a middle name with meaning which is why my children will be named at least a family middle name.

I don't hate my name though. Another problem I had was I had a pretty pronounced lisp when I was younger and I was incredibly shy so I hated saying my name. I always wished my name was Leah instead.

Interestingly enough my husband had the same issue as a Jeremy who had trouble saying Rs!

Also, the other choice was Manda after an aunt who had died. Despite the family significance, I'm glad they went with Lisa!

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Erica Luisa 84'

I used to hate my middle name, but now I like it. No other Erica's in my classes growing up. My mom got the name from a soap opera. And MN is a family name.
  • Latina211508Latina211508 member
    edited October 2015
    My name is Courtney, middle name Elise. I honestly hated my name growing up. I was born in 1990 and I knew tons of Courtney's growing up. All were blonde hair/blue eyed and felt Courtney never fit me at all. I was always told by friends I never looked like a Courtney. I hated how common my name was. Obviously now I like it and I never resented my parents for it. I just wanted a more Hispanic name growing up. Maybe that's why I chose to name my children not common names. But I have always been complimented on my first/middle name.
    Oh I was named after a actress that played on my parents favorite tv show. Courtney Cox even though she spells it differently and her name on the show was Elise.
    My moms other choice for me was Francesca. My older brothers name is Christopher David
  • Lauren Joy

Lauren from Lauren Bacall and Joy from a girl my parent's new. I like my name fine, but I actually prefer my middle name. My dad wanted to name me Summer, which I also like, but my mom thought it was too "flower child".
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Jennifer here too... Jennifer Marie. I've never really liked my name at all. I've gone by Jen so long that when someone calls me Jennifer I cringe.

My SIL is Jennifer (Jenny) and my Step-SIL is Jennifer. I thought they were the same person for about the first 6 months I knew my husband. Ha. Ah the late 80s.
    Anniversary 
  • parenthood4parenthood4 member
    edited October 2015
    Mine is okay, I don't really like it. It's not misspelled (I don't think) but it's not the most common spelling. There are many ways to spell it, so I've never liked having to spell it all the time. My middle name is kind of a filler. I have the same first and middle name as my aunt, because my mom always liked her name better. Which I just accepted as normal growing up, but I guess it's a little weird. And confusing. Oh well!

Eta: my mom wanted to name me Taylor and my dad wanted to name me Scout, so I guess I lucked out? Taylor would have been okay I guess, but I am definitely not a Scout!

• I'm a Brittany. Brittany Karyn (pronounced like ka-rin). I was named after two different characters on soap operas. My parents thought the spelling they went with made more sense phonetically. No one ever gets my middle name right. I graduated with 3 others names Britney, Brittany, and Britney. I was born in 1989 and it was a super popular name then. I am ok with my name. It seems to fit me. But my maiden name starts with an S and I got lots of oh like Britney Spears comments. Didn't help I've always been big busted so the comparison happened a lot!
  • Melissa lyn. Where they got the spelling of my mn I don't know. I don't mind Melissa but I loathe the nns- Missy, Mel. So I go by my full name only. Never really gave my name too much thought, but being an 80s child I think it was a pretty common name around then??

cat fail animated GIF

• Emily Ann born early 90's
    Emily was extremely popular where I live growing up. My mom told me that when she named me, it was an unpopular name, and by the time I was 2 it was the #1 name. I've always hated my middle name, I just always thought it was so plain. But, it's passed down on both sides of my family, so its ok I guess. Oh, and my maiden last name started with a D so my initials were ED. Also hated that, so what did I go and do.....? I married someone whose last name also begins with a D and my initials never changed. :)) I write my initials daily at work, too. Haha
  • My names Ellen. I went by Ellie when I was really little and when I went to college I went by Elle, and now I'm back to going by Ellen. I wasn't crazy about my name growing up, I felt like it was kind of plain and old lady-ish. Now I don't mind it. I like that it's not very common but still a well known name.
    imageimage

• Elizabeth Anne

I hated it growing up and have always gone by liz
    now i appreciate it oh so much

i did not know any other elizabeths growing up
  • I'm Shari Angela Marie. My mom had a family friend with the name, and always knew she'd use it. My first middle name is after my grandmother, who is Angelina. Marie is my mom's middle name.

Needless to say, I have to spell my name all the time. My sister-in-law still spells it with an E, 12 years after being a part of the same family. I often get called "Shah-ree" but really it should be pronounced the same way as Sherry. Despite this, I never come across anyone my own age with the name (born in the early 80's).
  • Amanda Marie - '87

Amanda was very popular and I graduated high school with 6 others but it never bothered me. I think it's pretty and feminine and ages well. I also like that people know how to spell and pronounce my name easily, especially since my maiden and married names are Italian & Greek tongue twisters. I hate the nickname Mandy but I squashed that real quick as a kid and it's a non-issue.

Marie is pretty generic but every female on my mom's side has it as a middle name sooo oh well.
  • Keri Liisa '78
    Always have hated my FN, wished it was a more common name, but now I love my name. I was never given a mn at birth but when I was about 3 my mom wanted me to have one so we went to change it, which they would not do. When they asked me my name I blurted out Keri Liisa -- and they changed it right then and there.
  • nurse714nurse714 member
    edited October 2015
    I liked my name growing up and only had one other in my class in grade school but she spelled her name differently.
    Once out of grade school, I never knew anyone else with my name and I liked that. Now as an adult, I like when I meet someone with my name and I've only met one with the same spelling as mine.
    In third grade I changed the spelling of my name and my entire family was forced to write my name as such and suddenly when I reached high school, I went back to my legal spelling of my name and got pissed when my brothers wrote it the other way. Lol.
    I got teased for my name but as an adult I love it. My brother who is 15 years older than me named me Lori after a girl he liked and my mom liked it but changed it to Lorie. My dad wanted Samantha, but my mom didn't want a boy nn of Sam so I'm Lorie Samantha, formerly a third grade Lory. Lol.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • edited October 2015
    I have very plain names, after my great-grandmother (fn) and grandmother (mn). I go by a nickname of my middle name.

I was never really told anything about my great-grandmother. And the grandmother who I was named after was not a very nice woman. My parents told me I could change my name as a teenager, but I never felt like I could/should, given the family connections.

For this reason, I think it's not enough just to choose a family name. A meaningful connection to the person is important.
  • Victoria- (born in the stone ages)
    I didn't like my name when I was a kid because all the other girls had cute names like Jenny, Mandy and Stacy and my name seemed so formal and serious. I never knew another Victoria growing up and even now I rarely meet anyone with my name which I do like.

Now that I'm older, I actually like my name and appreciate that it sounds professional. Also, I've always gotten a lot of compliments on my name and I like that it's easy to pronounce and spell. Overall, I'm happy being a Victoria and wouldn't change my name if given the opportunity.
  • My name is STACEY which means "perseverance" which I think is pretty neat. However, growing up in the 80's and 90's, all the Staceys in movies and shows were always horrible mean girl stereotypes (which is not me at all) so people often say I don't seem like a "Stacey". It was also a nightmare when that " Stacey's Mom" song was popular. I feel Roxanne's pain on that one because people sang it to me all the time. One piece of advice I'd give is to be weary of giving your kid a name with so many different spellings. I get Staci, Stacie, and Stacy all the time. My work email includes my name so who knows how many emails I miss because people forget it is "ey".
  • My fn is a popular late 1970's nature name but I was born in the very early 80's. Both my parents have native bloodlines and wanted to honor that. As well they were hippies and I'm sure they thought that they were giving me a very pretty name. Sometimes I think my name is in the cutesy side. I kind of wish I had a more sophisticated nature name like Dawn. But my name suits me and it's never stopped me from being who I want to be and doing what I want with my life. Sometimes people hear it wrong (as a nn for a longer name), but that bothers me less than it used to as a teen.

My mn is a family mn on both sides but especially my moms side (both sides). It is gender neutral, but spelled in a way that may seem more feminine to some (still a legit spelling).

My two daughters have obscure but legit first names that have ethnic ties for both DH and I and are easy enough to spell. Our first has a creative and meaningful mn and our second has a pretty and unique family name as a mn. I think my own name and my feelings on it have influenced how I want to name my children.
  • My name is Bonnie. For some reason as a kid I decided I hated it, but now I really like it. It's fairly rare without being way out there. My middle name is a boring, VERY popular 80s name and I was happy to replace it with my maiden name when I got married. 

People ask me if it's short for something, still trying to think of a good answer for that... oh and there's the endless "where's Clyde?" jokes, but otherwise, my name is pretty cool. Damn right I'm a gangster. 
  • Another Elizabeth Anne. Didn't ever go by Elizabeth. I have always gone by Libby and I love it. I graduated from a 6A school and was the only one in my highschook of 2500+ kids, but yet it wasn't made up. I feel like it fits me. I was glad to use Elizabeth on my resume though. I always liked having a nn growing up.

• I'm a Rachel Renee, late eighties. It's a fine name, nothing special, but I've never liked the harsh "ch" for some reason. It came from a girl my parents had gone to high school with, but wasn't particularly significant to them. They just thought it sounded nice... I always thought that was a strange way to come up with your kid's name.

When I was four, I forced everyone to call me Madonna for several weeks. Glad that didn't stick!
  • I'm an early Briana (1981). When my parents picked my name it was considered unusual, so it was way before the 90's trend. They chose the name because of the NN Brie, which my mother heard in the 1971 movie Klute (Jane Fonda's character). I never knew another Briana growing up, no one could ever say it or spell it correctly (most put two Ns in it), my name was never on a keychain, and I always wished I had a less "weird" name. I did constantly get compliments on it though. I always preferred my nick name Brie and it's what my family and friends call me.

Now the name is pretty common among people about 15-20 years younger than me, so now people are more familiar with it. But I believe its fallen out of favor already.

My feelings towards my name have definitely effected my name choice for my future daughter. I've chosen a more classic name with one spelling/pronunciation, and a good easy nick name. I pulled from what I loved and hated about my name. I hope she's happy with it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My name is Bailey Ann.

When I was 12/13 there was a couple mean boys that liked to tell me I was as "big as a hay bale", so there's that. Proof that kids can make a mean nickname out of anything.

In high school there was another Bailey in a lot of my classes and, of course, we had the same last initial. So that was a pain in the ass, but overall it wasn't too bad.

Ann is my paternal grandmas name, as well as my moms middle name.

The only thing that ever bugs me about my name is that it's often mistaken for a million other slightly-similar names.
  • Theresa Anne ('86)

I really like my name, I was named after a great-great aunt that my mom was really fond of, and there was only 1 other Theresa in my HS class of 500 so I thought that was great. Some people would try to give me nicknames (Terry ugh, or tessa) but the only ones I allowed was Tree-sy (my aunts called me this) and Reesa - a nickname for a short time in high school, and now I have my nieces and nephews call me Auntie Reesa :)

I love classic feminine names I think as a result of my own name; so Mae, Laurel, & Violette are high on our lists.

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• gingercatNJgingercatNJ member
    edited October 2015
    Amy Crystal '76 Hated it growing up. So many of us in my school, and THAT SONG over and over again, like it was the cleverest joke ever. "Aaamyyyy, whatchoo wanna doooo?" Argh. Now I'm just kind of indifferent to it. It's me. *shrug*
  • Erika Sheyenne.

I looove my middle name. My first name is only annoying because I was named after a porn star my dad liked when I was born in 1995. Ironically, he's a minister now.....
  • The names my mom chose were Matt/Michelle (born late 1970s). Both names were pretty common in schools and I think she found them from romance novels she was reading back then.

My thoughts are that she did ok. Could have been better, could have been a lot worse.
  • SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited October 2015
    My name is Mali and I've always semi-struggled with it. I think what made it worse is that it is pretty much pronounced like a common name so it always confused people. It was always misspelled/mispronounced when I was younger too (not sure how it was possible to have so many different ways to spell/mispronounce a pretty simple name but oh well). Kids thought it was weird. Some of them nicknamed me "Africa." I liked it for awhile as an adult since it is unique and I have gotten compliments on it but at the end of the day, I kind of just wish I had a normal name. I was always sad when I was younger that I could never buy personalized junk. And I was never given a MN so I couldn't even resort to that.