March 2016 Moms
Options

Flu shot

Anyone getting one? I was advised to, they said flu season is starting.

Re: Flu shot

• Options
    I'm allergic to the flu shot. I had to be hospitalized for two weeks and they weren't sure if I was going to make it so I and my kids don't get it since they could potentially also have my allergy. If you've had it before and had no issues and your doctor says it's fine I say go for it. Herd immunization keeps me and my kids healthier since I can't but it's really just a choice you can make.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My job requires one, so it's either I get one, or I go home and don't come back.
  • Options
    Just got one yesterday at my 16 week and my arm is hurting so bad. Can't sleep on my left side. Worth it though
  • Options
    In the past 20 years I've only gotten it once. That year was the 1st time I've ever gotten the flu. Haven't gotten another one since then and probably won't ever again (also haven't ever had the flu again).
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    I got one with my first pregnancy. Likely will this time too.
  • Options
    Absolutely. The flu is especially dangerous for pregnant women and I get it every year anyway.

Don't talk to a pediatrician about it (who recommend it for all children over 6 months anyway) but talk to your OB. Unless there are side effects that are a known problem for you, like allergies to the components, your doctor will likely recommend it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I only get it when I'm pregnant, otherwise nope. I guess I have a good immune system cuz I hardly ever get sick.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've been wondering about this. My OB gave me a form permitting me to get one but I have never gotten a flu shot, at least that I can remember. It makes me nervous to get one while pregnant.
  • Options
    kynbar5 said:

In the past 20 years I've only gotten it once. That year was the 1st time I've ever gotten the flu. Haven't gotten another one since then and probably won't ever again (also haven't ever had the flu again).

This happens in our family quite a bit. We let our first daughter get in when she was 1... And two weeks later we were back at the pedi and she had the flu. Never have given it to any of them since, and no flu since.
  • Options
    I was advised by my doctors to get it as soon as it is available. I have type 1 diabetes so getting the flu would be really bad news.
  • Options

I was the exact opposite of all the bad stories/experiences on here. The one year I skipped it was the one year I got sick.....

In the end......do what your OB/GYN tells you to do. :)

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• Options
    Last year I got the flu shot and didn't catch the nasty bug that took out my whole department for a week...so coincidence or not I will follow my doctors advice and get it again this year.
  • Options
    I never have gotten the flu shot while pregnant and never had the flu during pregnancy. But now we live in a different state and seem to be catching every bug that is around. My kids all received the nasal flu mist at their old schools and they never got sick when they were given the mist. I need to find out if the schools here do the flu mist because I personally think that if they don't bring it home to me my odds are better.
  • Options
    I've gotten it every pregnancy and all the years in between.  I plan on getting mine in the next month or two - once I get my kiddos done, then I'll worry about mine.  Everyone in my fam has been flu-free for years.... not going to change it now!  
    DD 7/10
    MC 3/12
    MC 7/12
    DS 7/13
    BFP #5 - EDD 3/25/16
  • Options
    I got mine a few weeks ago at my last OB appointment. My doctor highly recommended it due to pregnancy and my diabetes.
  • Options
    I got one last year but still got sick.  With that said... I was still advised by my OB and DD's pedi that we should get one.  DD goes to daycare so she will definitely get sick.  It'll be good to boost my immune system even though the shot may not prevent me from getting sick from every virus out there. 
  • Options
    I work in health care in an acute hospital. Myself and all of my family menses in my house get a flu shot every year. Being protected against even one of the viruses is better then none.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I never get the flu shot under normal circumstances, but my OB told me to at my last visit. I got it last weekend and didn't think twice about it.

The way I see it, I've had the flu three times in my life. I always have really high fevers to the point of hallucinations with the flu. I also have horrible vomitting and other nasty symptoms. I figure, if I'm that bad when my immune system is healthy, I want to do anything I can to avoid risking my life and my baby's life when my immune system is compromised.

Whether other people get it or not, I have no opinion...but for me it was the right choice.
  • Options
    I'll get it. My daughter started Pre-K this year so she's bringing home allll the germs with her. This last cold I caught from her is kicking my butt, I can't imagine how awful I'd feel with the flu. 3 weeks with this cold and I'm still not over it! I got the flu shot when I was pregnant the first time since my dr recommended it, no side effects or reactions (and no flu). 
    imageimage

• Options
    I'll let my OB field that one.  I've never gotten the flu shot, but I don't think I've had the flu or I had it and recovered from it.  I also don't go to the doctor when sick so I wouldn't know if it was the flu or not.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options

I have had the flu shot some seasons and not others. The one time I got the flu in the last 5 years was a year I was too lazy to get the flu shot. That is also anecdotal evidence that the flu shot works, the same as people that get the shot and also get the flu saying it doesn't work, so I wouldn't base any decisions off of stories like that.

FWIW - If your doctor recommends it and your insurance covers it, I'd do it.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    I've only had it a handful of times and I've only had the flu a handful of times. I believe I will be recommended to get it to be on the safe side and I will follow doctor's orders!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    My OB recommended definitely getting the flu shot, get a note from your OB in case the flu shot provider requests it. I've gotten the flu shot every year for at least the last ten years and now being more succeptible to the flu being pregnant, I don't want to take any chances. I'm currently sick with the flu as we speak (hadn't gotten the shot yet) and it is far worse than it ever was not pregnant.
  • Options
    It is a decision you have to decide for yourself. As a nurse, I will tell you that I'm getting mine this week. The flu is dangerous for a woman and dangerous for a baby, particularly in the second trimester. Do your (legitimate) research from professionals and form your opinion from that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm torn on this one. I have never gotten the flu shot but have been around plenty of family that does. And they seem to always get the flu. Generally, for me, it's one of those things I kind of side eye. Of course I understand the point of a flu shot but from what I witnessed they don't really work to prevent the flu?

That being said I plan on speaking with my OB during my next visit and if he recommends it both my husband and I will be getting one ASAP.

At the end of the day my baby's safety and health come before any hang ups I may have about it.
  • Options
    RosyK said:

Nope. Our pediatrician told me during a previous pregnancy to absolutely not get one.

I never have anyway, and doubt I ever will.

@RosyK just curious, did your pediatrician discuss the reason with you? I've never gotten it before, because I feel like I can fight the flu just fine, but now torn because I've been told all pregnant women should.
  • Options
    mb0112 said:

RosyK said:

Nope. Our pediatrician told me during a previous pregnancy to absolutely not get one.

I never have anyway, and doubt I ever will.

@RosyK just curious, did your pediatrician discuss the reason with you? I've never gotten it before, because I feel like I can fight the flu just fine, but now torn because I've been told all pregnant women should.
    You will always be told by medical professionals that all women should get the flu vaccine. Unless you come across one of the very few that aren't vaccine pushers. This is one of those decisions that you have to end up making on your own. Some don't get the shot, some do. I don't and haven't in a very long time but I'm not one of the people that tells people yes do or no don't. :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    I commute and any immunity at all is appreciated. I get it every year and will do so this year too. DH usually doesn't but DD already got hers. I know there are different strains, etc. and it's not foolproof but if it helps even a little ill take it.
  • Options
    This may be a dumb question, but would getting the flu shot also protect our babies once they're born? Just wondering, since they wouldn't be able to get one until they are 6 months... And they'll be born during flu season. I got the flu once (didn't get the shot that year) and I'm never making that mistake again! Was hospitalized for 2 days :(
  • Options
    @msd24 yes, it would/should. You would transfer it to them in utero as well as if you BF.