Special Needs
Options

Listening Therapy while sleeping???

Have any of you done any sort of listening therapy for your kids while they are sleeping???  Landon usually falls asleep to his mobile and a white noise machine but we were thinking about putting some classical music on an ipod or seeing if there was some sort of listening therapy.  Any input would be great.  Thanks Ladies.

Re: Listening Therapy while sleeping???

• Options

I bought into the whole Mozart thing when Nate was a baby and mostly just had music on while feeding him.

I think there is something to be said about silence and the ability to let your brain rest. Even when parents of typical kids talk about their sound machines it sort of skeeves me out for some reason. I am not sure that stimulating the brain 24-7 is a good thing. If it was, wouldn't everyone be doing it? Just my 2 cents....

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

I agree with AR (I usually tend to! LOL) that silence is good for the brain. 

That said, I think music has been huge for my own DS. We attend a toddler music class that embraces folk music from all over the world along with traditional nursery rhyme songs. Each 10-week session comes with a new CD of songs. The classes work for kids who may only be sitting to those who are walking. The class and CD also include lots of rhythmic pattern play and mimicking. The theory behind the course is to allow kids to soak up and feel the rhythm and sounds. There is no pressure to play the instruments "the right way" or sit in a certain way. DS can roll around, squeal or lay back on our laps. Class is very motivating for him in terms of sitting forward and crawling. He also is now starting to mimic the rhythm patterns and sing. Everything I have read about participating in music (whether the child is being rocked and patted to the beat, or babbling to the music or dancing) seems to point to it being very good for the brain, and for mood, too.

The class we attend is not for SN kids specifically, but we have always felt very comfortable. Let me know if you want more info on the program. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Florak8.....I would love more info.  It sounds very interesting.  My email is lesleytaylor@hotmail.com if you want to email the info or you could just post it in this thread.  Thanks
  • Options

I will just post it here in case anyone else is interested, too. I hope that is ok. :)

https://www.musictogether.com/Home The program is called Music Together. It has been a lot of fun for us. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I know our teacher is having a demo class in early December, so if you find a teacher near you, maybe contact them soon to see about checking it out! :) Let me know what you think if you do! 

• Options

I disagree with the comment of "parents report marginal benefits as a rule".  That was NOT the case with us AT ALL.  We saw huge gains with DS with his listening program.  You know his story already and that his listening program combined with crossing his midline in therapy stopped his demyelination and helped get a 60% speech loss back VERY fast.  All that being said, I agree with letting the brain rest.  The body heals when it sleeps and it's my opinion that it should be as uninterrupted as possible.  The sleep cycles and the immune system are so incredibly vital to healing.  A lot of the research on listening programs DS's OT sent to me was related to movement and the mind/body functioning with both sides of the brain while listening to different frequencies - so that is what I would focus on.  We saw a lot of progress that way too.

We also did music together along with our OT and had a great experience.  We used it as a gateway out of OT actually.

• Options
    I've read that although classical music could have a positive effect on the brain the effect is short lived.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"