May 2016 Moms

Baby names?

Re: Baby names?

• We like the name Leona as a middle or first name for a girl and I think I like Leona Ray! And SOMEONE PLEASE be honest but is Mordecai (like off the regular show lol) is a horrible boy name I've joked about it a lot with my husband but now I really like the idea of Mordecai Radar... to explain a little we named our pitbull pup that we got in march pre knowing baby would be on the way rigby which is Mordecai's best friend in the show..now does THAT make it weird? I kind of think it's cute because our baby will be growing up with rigby and I hope they become best friends...
    I like Mordecai because it was the hawk's name in The Royal Tenenbaums! It is kind of a weird name though. I'm thinking I might go for something pretty standard/traditional for first name, and MN may be reserved for something fun like that, so my kid can decide when they want to bust out their more different name and have a name that raises less questions to answer.
  • All that we can agree on so far is...
    Girls: Luna or Effie
    Boys: Jasper or Noah

I love the name Jasper so much, the surname is Berzins and I think it goes well together.. But my mind changes every week so we'll see!
  • Loading the player...
  • I really need some female feedback on this one since no one around me seems to be offering any. Maybe that is their feedback? Lol. We've found out we're having a girl and I think MH and I finally agreed on a name. We'll see if he changes his mind. ;)

However, at this point in time I'm 98% sure it'll be Rylee Aurelia. My mom's maiden name is Riley, but I'm not sure if I'm trying to get too crazy with the spelling though to make it a little different? Thoughts?
  • @jewels1020 every time I hear the name Mordecai I think of the evil kid in Children of the Corn. However, that's an oldie so maybe people won't associate with that anymore?

I do think Leona Ray is very pretty though. <3
  • @Pascal86 thank you! Yeah I wanted something a little less traditional however @BCFiggins my husband said the same thing last night, that he thinks he would associate to much with the Children of the Corn.. so I'm guessing it's out..lol and thank you I really likes the girl name now if we can just come up with a boy name we both agree on! I do however like the name you've picked out, I am just horrible with the spelling side!
  • @arj14 to answer your question about guilty pleasure names, I don't have any for a girl, but for a boy I like Talon and Paxton. Both are car related haha. ;)
  • We picked out our girl name before our a/s , which was Zoey Harper.  We didn't have a boy name picked out, and now we are needing one.  We had Zoey picked out for D/S girl name too.  As far as boy names my favorite has been Oakley, but everyone keeps shooting it down.  DH's favorite boy name is Declan Graham.  It's so hard to pick out a boy name, and I think that's partly b/c everyone is using boy names for girls.  I have one niece named Everette and is named Tatum (Which sounds kinda masculine to me).  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• We find out next week if it's a boy or a girl (super excited!) but we are pretty settled on names since we have been discussing it since day one.

If it's a boy: Titus Jackson
    My SO loves the name Titus and it was on my top five list so we have agreed on it. Will be Ty or TJ for short. My first choice was Jack for a boy but my sisters FIN is named Jack and we hang out quite a bit.

If it's a girl: Emmi Jean
    I love the name Emmi and Jean is the family nickname of my stepmother who as been a wonderful inspiration to me in my life. So it's I nice way to pay tribute to her without directly naming the baby after her.

I had so many "rules" about names. Had to be one or two syllables, no first names that we know people with those names, and most importantly no names ending in N. The younger generation of my family has Kieran, Jayden, Raiden, Owen, Dillon, Matalyn, Lyndon, Aydin, Cain, Dallin, and Braxtin. So I really didn't want to add to the madness. Haha!
  • @yogahh & @LillyClaire I'm also totally in love with the name Harper, my dilemma is that I have a close friend who's last name is Harper. Anyhow, husband and I have barely discussed names because he wants to find out baby's sex first to cut out half the work. When we were talking boys names, I read through a list of about 100 and he shot them all down but Owen. We already know that if we have a son his middle name will be Harvey after his grandpa. I don't love it, but I'm not fighting him on it. For girls I'm pretty set on Harper Rose or Hailey Jade, but I'm not sure if I've even brought up Harper Rose to my husband. I know the girl names he's ok with so far are Hailey and Quinn.
  • BCFiggins said:
    I really need some female feedback on this one since no one around me seems to be offering any. Maybe that is their feedback? Lol. We've found out we're having a girl and I think MH and I finally agreed on a name. We'll see if he changes his mind. ;) However, at this point in time I'm 98% sure it'll be Rylee Aurelia. My mom's maiden name is Riley, but I'm not sure if I'm trying to get too crazy with the spelling though to make it a little different? Thoughts?
    I like the original spelling better. Rylee just seems too...phonetic.
  • BCFiggins said:
    I really need some female feedback on this one since no one around me seems to be offering any. Maybe that is their feedback? Lol. We've found out we're having a girl and I think MH and I finally agreed on a name. We'll see if he changes his mind. ;) However, at this point in time I'm 98% sure it'll be Rylee Aurelia. My mom's maiden name is Riley, but I'm not sure if I'm trying to get too crazy with the spelling though to make it a little different? Thoughts?
    I like the original spelling better. Rylee just seems too...phonetic.

This. I like Riley and I think it's really nice that it has family meaning. I think you should keep the spelling :)
  • We like the name Leona as a middle or first name for a girl and I think I like Leona Ray! And SOMEONE PLEASE be honest but is Mordecai (like off the regular show lol) is a horrible boy name I've joked about it a lot with my husband but now I really like the idea of Mordecai Radar... to explain a little we named our pitbull pup that we got in march pre knowing baby would be on the way rigby which is Mordecai's best friend in the show..now does THAT make it weird? I kind of think it's cute because our baby will be growing up with rigby and I hope they become best friends...
    Honestly? Yeah sorry it's not a great name. Not sure what show its in reference to thiugh?
    Thank you! I just wanted honesty about it! So i appreciate it! It's silly but it's in reference to a cartoon that me and my husband watch together which we started watching at the beginning of our relationship..
    It's not that it's BAD per se, but just think about how you would feel having that name at 8 years old and how other kids at school would react to it.
  • Bltbear82 said:
    I posted before that I love the name Linus, but while my in laws were in town I mentioned it and they pronounce Linus as Leenus in Sweden. As in, rhymes with the male anatomy. DH prefers that pronunciation which is a deal breaker for me because kids are beyond cruel, let's not fuel the fire from the start. Is it weird for us to use Linus but have half his family pronounce it a different way?
    My SIL is Carin. Her grandmother couldn't pronounce it and called her Karen. To this day she is called Karen to her family and friends from high school. Her husband, ILs, coworkers, other friends call her Carin. 
    Coming from a Polish family, no it's not weird to have different pronunciations. Another Polish family while I was growing up named their daughter Nicole, which is quite American. At home, it had a Polish-ized pronunciation: KNEE-kohl, while at school it was your typical pronunciation we're all familiar with.
  • Bltbear82 said:
    I posted before that I love the name Linus, but while my in laws were in town I mentioned it and they pronounce Linus as Leenus in Sweden. As in, rhymes with the male anatomy. DH prefers that pronunciation which is a deal breaker for me because kids are beyond cruel, let's not fuel the fire from the start. Is it weird for us to use Linus but have half his family pronounce it a different way?
    My SIL is Carin. Her grandmother couldn't pronounce it and called her Karen. To this day she is called Karen to her family and friends from high school. Her husband, ILs, coworkers, other friends call her Carin. 
    Coming from a Polish family, no it's not weird to have different pronunciations. Another Polish family while I was growing up named their daughter Nicole, which is quite American. At home, it had a Polish-ized pronunciation: KNEE-kohl, while at school it was your typical pronunciation we're all familiar with.
    I also have a student whose name is Clive. At school, he asks it to be pronounced as in rhymes with chive. However, I have heard his mom call him Clee-veh and I know he is ESL student (not sure what nationality/language is spoken at home)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's a boy, so I can stop stressing over girl names. I think to 90% he will be Connor.
  • We just found out yesterday that we're having a girl! I think we've settled on Sofia Alexandra. I wasn't sure about Sofia because it's such a common name but we both love it!
  • @caterin my brother's name is Connor :)
  • I have a little girl whose name is Brantley Cheyenne and we found out we were having a boy! Yayyy! We are beyond exited! But we are naming him Grayson Sawyer. Grayson Tyler was a runner up!
  • We have known since week 10 it's a boy thanks to genetic testing. We decided on Declan James.
  • We are team green and I think we are pretty set on Madelyn for girl and William or Liam for a boy. Middle name for either sex will be my maiden name, which is not a common name at all, and I love it!
    Me: 29      DH: 38
    Married: May 26, 2012
    BFP: September 10, 2015
    EDD: May 22, 2016
  • My step daughter's name is Evalynn Joy :)

But I like Vivianne Kaye, Charlie Grace
    Or Zachary Isaiah, Dominic Edward

These could very well change though
  • This is partial confession. My first born son was named for my father in law as has been tradition in my husband's family. I had my heart set on a baby boy for this second pregnancy, especially since this is likely our last hurrah. I've always wanted to name my son for my grandfather Robert. He was going to be Jonah Robert.

Well, we found out we are having a girl and I was devastated. As in sobbing uncontrollably and feeling even worse because I know how ungrateful I sound for being blessed with such a miracle. After letting the news sink in, I realized it's because of not being able to use my grandpa's name. So I asked my husband how he felt about giving our daughter two middle names, one to honor my grandmother and one to honor my grandfather. In May 2016, God willing, the world with meet Abigail Eunice Roberta and I couldn't be more excited.

My baby will have 2 middle names too...Robert Scott which was my brother's name.  I wanted him to have both my brother's 1st and middle names as a memorial, since there are a lot of Roberts in both my and DH's family.

Of couse, baby doesn't have a first name yet :P
  • I'm having a girl an her name is Alesana Eva
  • Two weeks till the anatomy scan, and I think we've finally settled.

Sonia Margaret for a girl or Samuel David for a boy.

Samuel David is what my younger sister would've been named if she'd been a boy.  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We do our anatomy scan on January 7th and have finally decided on names:
    Girl: Stella Rose (Rose is a family name on my mothers side)
    Boy: Miles Alexander

Can't wait to find out! :smile:
  • BCFiggins said:
    I think Rylee is a bit crazy with the spelling (sorry!).  But! I did have a female (college-aged) student named Ryan this year, and she was awesome and the name suited her.
  • I have the envelope with the ultrasound results in my possession. Just have to wait till
    Chrismas morning to open it! Our boy name is set, but DH hates every girl name in existence, so this is my pick for a girl.

Boy: James Ellis
    Girl: Rose Evangeline

• We've had our names picked for ages, I think even before we were married. Michael or Julia.
  • edited December 2015
    Just how popular is the name River right now?? I originally thought this was our name for Boy or Girl.... but I have this strange feeling its becoming, or already is, super popular (not that that should totally matter.... but..... is my child's class gonna have 5 rivers....both boys and girls??)

But when the advise was given "say the name out loud....even Yell the name" to see if its a name you like or think you could live with...the only name I enjoy yelling is River! (i also think it passes the resume test pretty well IMO) lol

And my girl name thus far is Brooklyn and I don't totally feel comfortable yelling that one either! haha (not sure how much yelling you do as a parent...but.....??) 

Boys name:
    River Hayes (H last name)

Girls names:
    Brooklyn Belle 
    Brooklyn River (<-----thats a lot of water tho!)

• Michael if I have a son..my husband wants him named after him. and kosima for a girl:)
  • DanandVan said:

I have the envelope with the ultrasound results in my possession. Just have to wait till
    Chrismas morning to open it! Our boy name is set, but DH hates every girl name in existence, so this is my pick for a girl.

Boy: James Ellis
    Girl: Rose Evangeline

Ok, so I'm a college prof and I taught at an elite school last year, where all the students are (you know) going to be successful and they were also the best students I've ever had and I loved them.

So many of the girls, though, had names typically gendered male!

E.g. : Jordan, Chapman, Lincoln, Emerson, Ryan, Carson, Chandler, Riley, Jackson, Kaufman, Killian, Hollis, Ellis, Toby, Anderson, and even a Thomas!

I mention the elitism because so often these "unusual" name choices are seen as holding people back, but that is absolutely not the case when you give girls "boy" names.

Might this be a possibility for your husband?
  • Pascal86 said:
    @yogahh - Haha definitely something to be aware of! I grew up going to school with three sisters that could have been triplets and they were all HH. It never seemed like a bad thing, you'll probably just get a few eyebrow raises from judgy-mcjudgersons who think that's too many Hs, but whatever. I have an H dog myself (Heathcliff)! ...and a Carly (more Cs!)

And on a somewhat related note, what is the consensus on naming your child after your dog? Or rather, giving it the same name? We lost our Pascal this past winter and I am still obsessed with the name (and we don't know gender but it can work for boy or girl). Is that super weird? What about for a MN?

I think you should go for it. Plus, it's a great name.

• yogahh said:
    We added another name to the girls list- Harper. I have loved it for years, but is it too trendy now? Our last name is the same as the main character on Girls. Is that too many H's??

I love the name Harper but I know--no joke--7 Harpers under the age of 2.

• Update on names:
    As we are getting closer to finding out (Christmas morning!! Can't wait!!!) MH and I have revised our name choices.

Girl is still Luna Diana, but our boy name is now Giorgio David.

I wasn't sold and prefer Toby, but MH is afraid that Toby won't fit with our son (Renzo). He also wants to call a boy Gio since it is a family nickname (typically for Giovanni, but MH is not a fan...and neither am I). I am not 100% on the boy name, but figure I can roll with it. Especially since we are both psyched about the girl name, even if my family is not on board, and I have a strange feeling this one is a girl. But, all will be revealed on Friday morning!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Pascal86 I would totally do it. He was a member of the family, and since he passed away, it is not like you will have 2 in the house at the same time (very sorry about that :-( )
  • Thanks @AliciaD39 and @TunieBee - I like it too! I brought it up to my husband this weekend and he didn't say no, so I feel like it's a good contender, at least for a middle name!
  • dshannah said:
    I have the envelope with the ultrasound results in my possession. Just have to wait till Chrismas morning to open it! Our boy name is set, but DH hates every girl name in existence, so this is my pick for a girl. Boy: James Ellis Girl: Rose Evangeline
    Ok, so I'm a college prof and I taught at an elite school last year, where all the students are (you know) going to be successful and they were also the best students I've ever had and I loved them. So many of the girls, though, had names typically gendered male! E.g. : Jordan, Chapman, Lincoln, Emerson, Ryan, Carson, Chandler, Riley, Jackson, Kaufman, Killian, Hollis, Ellis, Toby, Anderson, and even a Thomas! I mention the elitism because so often these "unusual" name choices are seen as holding people back, but that is absolutely not the case when you give girls "boy" names. Might this be a possibility for your husband?
    My mom named all five of her daughters with "boy" names. At the time (70s), they were boy names, but are now considered "girl" or neutral (Kendal, Kerry, Logan, etc). I loved this and had Hollis picked as our girl name. I am drawn to girls with boy names. 
    JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• @Dantzscher32 I LOVE the name Hollis. Uber cool!