Infertility
Options

September / October IVF

HBamama2BHBamama2B member
edited September 2015 in Infertility
Anyone doing September IVF? I'm waiting on AF for my schedule but should have ER mid-month. Will be doing IVF with ICSI, but opting out of PGS testing. Love to start a board for those of us that are IVF next month. Lots of support and hopefully lots of BFP!!!. :-bd

Re: September / October IVF

• Options
    Hi @HBamama2B ! My first round of IVF will be in Sept. I should be starting birth control tomorrow or Friday and then will start the whole process. I haven't gotten my schedule yet but I think I ER will be at the end of the month. Good luck to you!
    Me: 33 | DH: 35
    DX: Dilated fallopian tubes 
    10/05: First IVF ET | Transferred 1 blast 
    Beta: October 19th | BFP!
  • Options
    Congrats and FX for you! I don't have my schedule either yet, still waiting for a BFP or AF to end this current 2ww. I have bad reaction to OCPs so they are dumping me straight in probably rather than trying to sync up all my follicles. My ER will be mid month ish. I can be the guinea pig a couple days before you and let you know how it goes. :-B
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is this your first round? I'm anxious to get this show on the road!
  • Options
    Yup! I'm super nervous. Had lots of great advice on here about what to expect, but still very very nervous.
  • Options
    Me too. I'm nervous that I'll be heartbroken if it's not successful. I've talked to two people who both had success their second round of IVF. Both said that for the second time around, doctors have a better idea how your body will react to medication so dosages and timing are perfected.

Hopefully we'll break the mold :)
  • Options
    Hi @HBamama2B and @LCK0830 ! Good luck this month. I will probably have overlap with this and next month because we are doing PGS testing. I think my transfer will be in a few weeks. I had my retrieval today. It's my first iVF. Let me know if I can answer any questions. :)
  • Options
    Good luck @Joyzie77 ! Wishing you the best!

We did genetic testing prior to starting treatment and we're still waiting on the results. I'm still confused about the process. So, we might do PGS depending on our results? I'm not sure.

Were you given a calendar of events? Not knowing when my ER and transfer will be is killing me!

• Options
    edited August 2015
    PGS is more to test for chromosomal abnormalities in your eggs than genetic markers of concern. (If your are both carriers of a specific gene of concern PGD would be done). Generally performed on day 5 blasts, they slice a portion of cells for analysis. This theoretically lowers the odds of implanting eggs that are unlikely to fertilize or may result in early miscarriage; however scientific literature on it is VERY mixed.

It is only truly recommended for women in their late 30s to 40s where egg quality has declined or where couples have had multiple failed IVF attempts. My doctor recommended it, because it's the 'latest, greatest' thing not covered by insurance at a mere $5-6,000 a pop. I strongly recommend reading the latest statistics and meta studies on its PRs rather than taking your doctors advice as its a huge cash cow for them right now. Some have shown a dip rather than an increase in PR (pregnancy rates).
  • Options
    Colleen0516Colleen0516 member
    edited August 2015
    Hi ladies! I might be joining you in the group. I am currently in my 2ww-- beta on Friday. However, I have been home testing (all negative) and I'm very crampy tonight; I think AF is on its way.
    I don't know my IVF schedule yet. I have to call if I get AF and they will tell me the first step and then I have a scheduled meeting on Wednesday with my RE to go over details.

My doctor said it can take up to 6 weeks- they roughly told me a transfer date of October 6 (ish) if we started this cycle.
    Does that sound right?
    I have so much anxiety over IVF. Have I mentioned I'm petrified of needles? No Bueno X_X but I will do anything for a baby so bring on the scary stuff!
    Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• Options
    Don't worry! We will all go through it together! 6 weeks likely includes 16-18 days on OCPs to sync up your follicles. Sorry about the cramping. I felt that way last month, almost sent DH out for a HPT but then called him back cause I just new AF was coming. :( my FX are still crossed for you but I'm happy to help plan ahead as we wait out these last few days! I don't get a confirmed ER schedule until AF day 1 either!
  • Options
    Yea They said I would do OCP for several days and they also said I can somehow do it so that I can combine the medicines and avoid doing more than 1 shot a day!
    Still not my #1 baby making method lol, but I will take the fewer needles!

You still have no signs of AF? @HBamama2B
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze

• Options
    Every time I think I know what I'm doing I learn something new. I'm so thankful for this group! Thanks for the great information.

Hi @Colleen0516 ! Hopefully you'll get your BFP this month but if not we'll be with each other through the next step. I think my transfer date will be around the same time as yours.
  • Options
    Hi there! First month doing IVF. How long after taking the meds did you have the retrieval? Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone! We will be doing our first IVF cycle this month too. I already have my schedule and have been taking OCP for 2 1/2 weeks already.

13 sept I start stimming, ER 30 Sept, 5day blast transfer 5 oct.

Looking forward to having ladies I can lean on during this time.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Wonderful to see so many of us in our first IVF together. It feels good to know I'm not in it alone this month.

@Colleen0516 my BBT dipped slightly this morning so AF could come today or tomorrow. Other than that no signs of anything either say. I am symptomless! It's the worst! Your beta is tomorrow? Any signs of AF beside the cramping?
  • Options
    @jav5y2 you're on your way! Exciting!
    What have you done so far? Just birth control?
    I'm anxious about the process! How is it?

@HBamama2B I wish I was symptomless!
    I have AF cramping (I know it too well).
    It's definitely coming. If I get a positive beta tomorrow I will be SHOCKED! Sadly, I've come to know my body and it's every symptom and feeling lol

As anxious as I am about IVF, I feel like it's a REAL shot at pregnancy for me. Stats are so much higher!
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    @Colleen0516 yes, I am excited! We took 3 months off after 3 consecutive IUI fails and while nervous, I'm excited to get the ball rolling again.

So far just the birth control. I am set to get my RXs today and my injection meeting/tutorial is set for 4 sept.

Then:
    9 sept - start Lupron
    12 sept - lastOCP, but continue Lupron
    19 sept - stim start
    22 sept - blood draw only
    23 sept - u/s, blood to access ovaries
    24 - 29 sept - appointment as needed
    30 sept - ER
    5 oct - 5 day blast transfer

Feels good to have a schedule to look at and know what's coming.

So grateful for this board & you gals as we take this on. My fingers are crossed for all of us and each one of you is in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    @colleen0516 that sucks, I'm sorry. I know the feeling. :/ but I understand the desire to get moving on IVF, I feel the same way. It's like 40-60% chance of a BFP?! Bring it ok already! But at the same time so nerve racking. I know AF is coming, probably this evening, I just wish it would get here so I can get my schedule and start the process. I like having the next steps mapped out in concrete, it's like my wubby. Your apt is on Wednesday? Ask tons of questions! Don't let them push you out of that room until you feel the dr is 100% on your side and involving you in the decision making process. I wish I had been more aggressive in my IVF start up apt. After I got pushed to the coordinator and thought up tons of new questions all she would say is that's a question for the dr.... :/
  • Options
    @jav5y2 your schedule calms me!! It's nice to see a game plan (even if it's not mine)

@HBamama2B I plan to ask questions but I always go blank! I want to write them down, but iM nervous he will think I'm a total DORK LOL

Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    I had the exact same response. Tons of questions didn't want to write it down and went blank. Ugh!
  • Options
    Hi ladies!

AF started today and I got my schedule.

8/29 - 9/16: birth control
    9/20 - 9/22: Injections begin
    9/23: Ultrasound
    10/1: Trigger injection
    10/3: ER
    10/8: Transfer

They have me doing an endometrin vaginal insert. I've read that the shot is more effective so I'm going to ask my nurse about switching.

It feels good to have a schedule but is also a little overwhelming!

Hope you all are having a great day!
  • Options
    Congrats on the schedule! So exciting! I can't wait to have my schedule so I know all the dates and can lay it out.
  • Options
    Ah! It's a game plan!
    And with IVF the 2ww isn't 2 weeks right? It's only a few days? So by mid October you will know if you're prego!
    Congrats
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    Ooh!! I hadn't thought of that! It does lower our 2ww period!
  • Options
    Why is it a few days?
  • Options
    Hopefully you get your BFPs and won't be joining me but if you do proceed with IVF I bet our schedules will match up!

The thought of possibly being pregnant in October is so exciting I'm incapable of thinking about anything else!
  • Options
    @Colleen0516 .. I started writing mine down because I kept on forgetting to ask and would have more questions later. You aren't a dork. :)
  • Options
    LCK0830LCK0830 member
    edited August 2015
    I write everything down in my notes app on my iPhone then whip it out during my appointment and dork out :)
  • Options
    Hey September Gals!!

We are starting our first IVF cycle Saturday with anticipated ER  around 9/11...we are doing PGS testing so transfer will be frozen near end of October....glad to know there are some other first timers this month too!

FX for all!
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • Options
    I have questions about the PGS testing, I had genetic testing prior to all this... So does that rule out the PGS Testing?
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    The PGS testing is different. Once they are fertilized, they take a sample and send it off to the lab to be tested. It only shows chromosomal abnormalities. It doesn't test for anything specific.
  • Options
    Genesis-24, also known as Pre-Implantation Genetic Screening (PGS), is an IVF procedure designed to examine your embryos for chromosomal abnormalities. An embryo biopsy is taken either at day 3 or day 5 and Genesis-24 is used to examine all 24 chromosomes—the 22 non-sex chromosomes plus the two sex chromosomes (X & Y) in time for your embryo transfer. Chromosomal abnormalities can result in aneuploidy (embryos having the wrong number of chromosomes – i.e. extra copy of chromosome 21 also known as Downs Syndrome), translocations (chromosomes incorrectly rearranged), or other chromosome alterations that may be clinically significant. Genesis-24 aims at improving pregnancy and live birth rates by screening your embryos for chromosomal abnormalities and only implanting chromosomally normal embryos.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @colleen0516 no it's for different issues. https://www.advancedfertility.com/preimplantation_genetic_diagnosis.htm

PGS is more focused on identifying chromosomal abnormalities in the egg (primarily due to AMA). How old are you? And what's your ovarian health look like? That should be the biggest factor. Also- make sure to read the latest studies on PGS, it sounds great and is if you're in your late 30s or 40s, but otherwise recent studies show it is not correlated to high PRs.
  • Options
    Oh man, more to think about!
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    Good point @HBamama2B . I'm 38 so we decided to do it. DH is 43. Yes, Colleen it's something to think about. It can be expensive and sometimes that's a factor to consider as well.
  • Options
    Colleen0516Colleen0516 member
    edited August 2015
    @HBamama2B are you scheduled for a beta? Or just a missed AF? How does your RE do it?
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    They don't pull a beta unless there's a BFP on an HPT. Otherwise it's just day 3 blood work. They do VERY limited monitoring which is irksome. I'm going to call today to see if a cyst or anything is blocking my AF. I really want to move on to something that works, even though I'm terrified of IVF.

@Joyzie77 exactly! If I was 38 or if id had a few failed IVFs I'd definitely do it. I'm 34 and this will be our first.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    AF is in the house! :) ready to get my schedule and get started! >:D<

Also ready for a scratch margarita, lol!
  • Options
    Got my beta test result--- negative. Not pregnant.
    No AF yet, but they are sending me my IVF calendar today.

Have to have a water sono when I get AF.
    Anyone have one? I had a Femvue sono (so painful for me) Im scared the water sono is gonna hurt too, but I want to know ahead of time.
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Options
    Sorry and congrats! @HBamama2B
    Bitter sweet but onto IVF!!! Enjoy that margarita-- have two!! :D
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**