May 2015 Moms

30 Day Ab Challenge

A few of us are starting the 30 day ab challenge tomorrow (August 1) in hopes that it will help us tone up these tummies.

If you are interested, you are free to join us. We will do a check in every few days to keep everyone on track. We can encourage each other and report when we find it difficult.

The workout starts out very short (only a couple of minutes) but by the last day the entire thing will probably take 15-20 minutes (if I remember correctly. I haven't done this since last summer).

It's great if you can combine this workout with some sort of cardio. So you may want to consider doing something else additionally. We can give each other ideas on this in the comments.

Also, I would suggest taking measurements before and after so we can see how effective it is for everyone.

If this goes well, there are lots of other 30 day challenges for different muscle groups. We can pick a different one each month to do.
gtelliermarthaudani

Re: 30 Day Ab Challenge

• My cardio plan: I'm going to run on the days that we do abs. I used to be a runner but haven't ran since first trimester. I'll be starting off extremely slow but hoping by the end of the month I'll be back up to running longer distances. I really want to train again for the half marathon (I did it in 2013 and 2014).
    lola2beesylviagirl0927
  • Oh I'm excited for this. I hate working out so much but I can't stand my body after the baby.
    justkeeptrying
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm excited too! :)
    justkeeptrying
  • Me too! What measurement should we take? Waist & hips?
  • This is such a good idea! I hope I can do this as well. I'm terrible with exercising but maybe seeing the posts will get me more encouraged.
  • Hopefully we can all encourage each other to complete this. I plan to do an hour on the treadmill each day with LO strapped to my chest (I'd be lucky to get an hour without him wanting to be held)
    justkeeptrying
  • @blairdavis99 - those were the measurements I was planning on doing. If you are just doing the abs then maybe just waist is necessary. But if you are planning on doing some cardio then hips is a good plan.

@SmrBrd2012 - the nice thing about the ab challenge is that it's a very short workout and it gets more challenging every day but just by a bit. So if you know you did something Monday then you can do it again Tuesday and just add a few more crunches, sit ups, etc. And because it's short I feel encouraged to actually do it because it's only going to take 5 minutes so there's no excuse not to!
  • I'm going to try. I need to get my ab strength back to normal. I have only taken walks so far as exercise.
    I will continue taking walks several times a week with this :)
    justkeeptrying
  • Is there an alternative to sit ups? I had an emergency c section with post partum complications (tore the incision twice and got a uterine infection).

When I asked my doctor about exercise at my 6 week check up, she said to limit sit ups as it would potentially rip my incision again or to limit it to 10 a day until my scar is 100% healed and closed.
  • Kye042 said:

Is there an alternative to sit ups? I had an emergency c section with post partum complications (tore the incision twice and got a uterine infection).

When I asked my doctor about exercise at my 6 week check up, she said to limit sit ups as it would potentially rip my incision again or to limit it to 10 a day until my scar is 100% healed and closed.

You could do reverse crunches maybe? Lay on your back with your legs up, knees at 90 degrees, hands on the floor. Lift your legs (keeping knees bent) until your bum and hips are off the ground. Lower and repeat.

That's one of my favourite moves for abs. Alternatively you could just skip the sit ups and do the rest of the workout. Or do plank position twice (beginning and end of workout). Plank is one of the best workout positions because it works so many body parts at once.
  • I just did day 1 and tried to do some cardio. I only lasted 3 minutes running. Which is pathetic considering I ran the half marathon last year. But at least I ran!! My goal tomorrow is to run a bit further!!

Don't forget to take your measurements ladies. I did hips and waist and also weighed myself!
    lola2bee
  • Done day 1!
  • Um, so am I the only one who couldn't do crunches??? And sit-ups happen only with my toes tucked under something. Didn't realize I was in this bad of shape!!! Tried to do this two days ago, just to see how it was, and I'm still sore today, granted, I did do extra planks that day to make up for the crunches...
    lola2bee
  • gtelliergtellier member
    edited August 2015

Um, so am I the only one who couldn't do crunches??? And sit-ups happen only with my toes tucked under something. Didn't realize I was in this bad of shape!!! Tried to do this two days ago, just to see how it was, and I'm still sore today, granted, I did do extra planks that day to make up for the crunches...

I did sit ups with my feet under something too lol! Only Day 1, it'll get better!
  • Um, so am I the only one who couldn't do crunches??? And sit-ups happen only with my toes tucked under something. Didn't realize I was in this bad of shape!!! Tried to do this two days ago, just to see how it was, and I'm still sore today, granted, I did do extra planks that day to make up for the crunches...

Yes! I didn't do the sit ups with my feet under something but I found my feet lifting to compensate. It was hard! But it will get easier. And then you do more each day to make it more challenging!! :)

I am definitely out of shape though. But that's why we are doing this remember!
  • It's terribly frustrating when I remember how much I used to be able to do!!!
    justkeeptryingsylviagirl0927
  • I'm in! I do 90 mins of yoga everyday and started playing tennis with my husband. Breastfeeding burns over 400 a day. With all of this I don't see the scale going down. Uggggg
    gtellier
  • Done and ouch
    justkeeptryingmechanicwifegtellier
  • I can't even do sit-ups with my feet under something, I'm doing extra crunches instead
    gtellier
  • Day 2 done!
  • Me too. My stomach hurts already!!!
    gtellier
  • Holy hernia!! That was rough. Can't even imagine doing 118 sit-ups....
    gtellier
  • lola2bee said:

Holy hernia!! That was rough. Can't even imagine doing 118 sit-ups....

It is so daunting right now. But I remember doing this challenge last year and thinking there was no way I could do 125 sit ups on the last day. I'm not sure how, but I did it, without taking any breaks. And I felt extremely proud of myself for it. Keep it up!!!
  • Done. Ouch and ouch!
    gtellierjustkeeptrying
  • Day 3 done!! Woohoo for rest day tomorrow! I have to say, the first 10 sit ups were a lot easier today! :)
  • gtellier said:

Day 3 done!! Woohoo for rest day tomorrow! I have to say, the first 10 sit ups were a lot easier today! :)

I've been putting off doing mine today. Haven't felt motivated. But reading that you did yours is encouraging me to get off my butt. Especially the reminder that tomorrow is a rest day!! Thanks!!!
    gtellier1cookingmama
  • I know I'm behind but I had Army Reserve Duty this weekend. Trust me, my abs have been worked out this past weekend! Lol

Can I join and start on day 3?
    gtellier
  • This is the best thread ever!  I am so inspired that I am going to stop writing and try some sit ups now!....
    Wow!  that was thrilling.  Definitely can't do sit ups, but that won't stop me from trying.
    I did a handstand for the first time PP 3 days ago- and my lats are still screaming in pain.  
    We are warriors!
    justkeeptryinggtellier
  • I know I'm behind but I had Army Reserve Duty this weekend. Trust me, my abs have been worked out this past weekend! Lol

Can I join and start on day 3?

Absolutely!!! Jump right in!!

I'm so glad that so many of us are doing this together. It's so motivating and we are being held accountable. By the way, I still haven't done my abs yet today...but I will!!! And then it's rest day tomorrow :)

I already have so many ideas for next month's challenge. I am thinking we can do a poll at the end of this month to decide what muscle group we want to do in September!! I'm already looking forward to it. Way to go ladies!!!
    gtellier
  • Awesome! The more, the merrier! :)
  • Boy do I feel like a failure. I was in tears just getting down on the ground to do the sit ups. I can't believe how hard this is this time. DH says I'm pushing myself too hard too fast. Sigh. I did them but cheated by using my legs to pull myself up. The leg lifts also nearly killed me.

Going to do a lot of stretching today and tomorrow so hopefully it's better on Wednesday.
    lola2beeKnottie76365376
  • lola2beelola2bee member
    edited August 2015

Boy do I feel like a failure. I was in tears just getting down on the ground to do the sit ups. I can't believe how hard this is this time. DH says I'm pushing myself too hard too fast. Sigh. I did them but cheated by using my legs to pull myself up. The leg lifts also nearly killed me.

Going to do a lot of stretching today and tomorrow so hopefully it's better on Wednesday.

Don't my push yourself too fast!!! Make as many modifications as you need.
    justkeeptryinggtellier
  • Did mine but I'm gonna skip sit ups this round. Not ready!
    justkeeptryinggtellier
  • Done. I like the word "modification" @lola2bee - however i think it may be too kind for what I just did lol. I straight butchered some of those moves. Omg this is hard!!!!
    gtellierjustkeeptrying
  • Boy do I feel like a failure. I was in tears just getting down on the ground to do the sit ups. I can't believe how hard this is this time. DH says I'm pushing myself too hard too fast. Sigh. I did them but cheated by using my legs to pull myself up. The leg lifts also nearly killed me.

Same here! Cheated on sit ups and could barely do the leg lifts. Pregnancy kills your an muscles!
    This day was the hardest and I'm excited for the rest day lol
    I can't wait till this gets easier but i got on here just to see what everyone else said
    justkeeptryinggtellier
  • Happy Rest Day everyone!
    gtellierlola2bee
  • I don't know about you ladies but I am soaking in this rest day!!
    blairdavis99
  • We're back!! Day 5 done! Woo! :)
  • I should add that I have a mommy/daughter Photoshoot August 18th, which is why I'm so excited about this challenge haha
    justkeeptrying