February 2016 Moms

Uo's 7/30

Re: Uo's 7/30

• g8trkim said:
    I hate tourists in my city... but I love being a tourist in other people's lol

There was a woman at the pizza store yesterday who ordered a "cheese pizza" and it had me gritting my teeth. We don't call it "cheese" pizza here! It's just "a slice of plain" or "a slice of regular" and I don't know why it annoyed me so much-- could have had to do with the fact that I was REALLY friggen hungry. 

Anyhow, this is an, admittedly, really stupid unpopular opinion and I do hope she enjoyed her "cheese" pizza - I'm an asshole sometimes 

I have never heard it referred to as regular or plain before. 

BTW - I love your SN and it reminds me of Gilmore Girls :-)
    DH is from Brooklyn and whenever we go up to visit family they always order cheese pizza. I've never heard them say regular or plain.
    I'm from brooklyn too, if we want a "cheese pizza" we order a "plain pie" 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Why the hell should convicted felons have the right to vote? What exactly are they contributing to society that gives them the right to vote?
    There are some who get out and actually attempt to be useful people. Not all, but some. I don't know that I have much opinion either way on them voting though.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • g8trkim said:
    bookqueen said:
    I think I've shared this before, but oh well. I HATE HATE HATE reality shows. Any of them, doesn't matter what: dating shows, marriage shows, talk shows, adventure shows, competition shows, medical shows, anything. Hate them.
    I love reality shows, lol. Shows that make me seriously grit my teeth whenever they come on: Conan, The 700 Club, and Dr. Oz.
    Uh, I can't STAND Dr. Oz! How is he still on? I was flicking through the channels and (sort of accidentally) stopped on him the other day and DH was like, "Turn that off. He's a total quack!" DH is in the medical field so he's particularly annoyed by him.
    I listen to Elvis Duran in the morning show while I get ready in the morning. They have Dr. Oz on more frequently than any other guest, and whenever he's on, my husband always screams about how he's a horrible human being, spreading his agenda using his status. I think a bunch of respectable doctors with associations with Columbia wrote a letter to Columbia about how they need to get rid of him as the head or something of the dept of surgery? I don't know what came out of that, but I remember reading about it on the news. 

They weren't respectable doctors who wrote the letter- they were rent-a-docs who were being paid by Monsanto. 
    Dr. Oz spoke out saying he thinks all GMOs should be labeled and Monsanto went on the attack. The problem was the media just regurgitated the story over and over without doing any real journalism and research into who these people were. They were not associated with Columbia. Columbia supported him in all this. 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • VitaLuna said:
    I guess when I read that I was thinking of people currently in prison. And there are shades if grey but a person can't really say what felonies are ok to still vote and which aren't. However I guess if you're a convicted felon you've kinda proved you have no regard for the law anyway so why bother to vote? If you've shown you're just gonna break the law anyway and you are unwilling to abide what other voters helped decide was legal- why should you have any say in it?
    I think criminals are criminals, yes, but your statements are so broad and generalized that it's really not fair. "Proved no regard for the law"? "Just gonna break the law anyway"? "Unwilling to abide what other voters helped decide was legal"? These are hardly true for all criminals (although certainly for some). Breaking one law doesn't mean you have no regard for society. Just like speeding once doesn't make you a reckless driver, eating a donut doesn't make you a fat, unhealthy person, etc. I think when you allow people to feel connected to their government/politics, perhaps when they never have before, it could help influence more positive behaviors by feeling more connected/involved when they get out. Of course, that theory won't apply to everyone, maybe not even to most, but if small things like this can help reduce the recidivism rate, why not? ETA: before you decide I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm just a criminal-loving liberal, I'll mention that I come from a law enforcement family and am a former LE employee.
    LE family, woot woot!!

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • I doubt this is an unpopular opinion but potty training sucks. We tried yesterday and my son just peed his undies and was in a horrible mood all day. So I'm taking the day off, and going to try the three day method starting tomorrow. My husband works half days on Fridays so he will be home to help most of the time.

Also layoffs suck. 2 big local oil companies just announce more major layoffs. Dh doesn't work for either, but it still really impacts his company each time this happens. Hopefully his company won't need to do a second round. That will stress the shit out of me.

And now I want mashed potatoes. I think that will be lunch ;)
  • I think my state just passed a law stating that multiple DUI's constitutes a felony status...I know in Canada it's a felony or anyone not Canadian can't got into the country until it has been 10 years and they petition or something...

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • I guess when I read that I was thinking of people currently in prison. And there are shades if grey but a person can't really say what felonies are ok to still vote and which aren't. However I guess if you're a convicted felon you've kinda proved you have no regard for the law anyway so why bother to vote? If you've shown you're just gonna break the law anyway and you are unwilling to abide what other voters helped decide was legal- why should you have any say in it?
    I think desperation sometimes makes people do things they normally wouldn't do. I don't think they should be allowed to vote while in prison, but I do agree with pp's that the harder we, as a society, make it on released former convicts, the more they are forced to repeat their criminal behavior. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • jordans_wifejordans_wife member
    edited July 2015
    @VitaLuna - Lmao! You had me at the last line. Will admit reading what you wrote I was literally thinking in my head "bleeding heart liberal!" But alas, agree to disagree. Because as I was saying you cannot specify what certain felons/felonies are allowed to vote, I feel more comfortable saying they all can't. That's my opinion and I feel very comfortable with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hahaha Dr. Oz is such a joke.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Bfavors said:

gas stations around me are getting these awesome milkshake machines. You grab the flavor cup you want and put it in the machine and it sucks it up and whips it to the consistency or something. It's awesome!

Okay, I just got so excited that to had to Google this. So cool!! There's currently a Sonic closer to me than one though...
  • gas stations around me are getting these awesome milkshake machines. You grab the flavor cup you want and put it in the machine and it sucks it up and whips it to the consistency or something. It's awesome!
    Okay, I just got so excited that to had to Google this. So cool!! There's currently a Sonic closer to me than one though...
    Same here. Sonic is kind of on my shit list right now though..I went it last weekend and ordered a strawberry limeade and they were out of limes. Not a happy camper.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Bfavors said:
    gas stations around me are getting these awesome milkshake machines. You grab the flavor cup you want and put it in the machine and it sucks it up and whips it to the consistency or something. It's awesome!
    Same here. Sonic is kind of on my shit list right now though..I went it last weekend and ordered a strawberry limeade and they were out of limes. Not a happy camper.
    I hate when that happens! BUT they make a peanut butter fudge that I love. I'll probably go get one this afternoon. Or a root beer float.

• Bfavors said:

Bfavors said:

I hate when that happens! BUT they make a peanut butter fudge that I love. I'll probably go get one this afternoon. Or a root beer float.

I'm personally a waffle berry brownie blast girl myself :)
  • mamaekmamaek member
    I don't know who Dr. Oz is.

Dr. Phil drives me crazy and so does Dr Laura. Don't even know if she's on anymore but yuck.

And I think it's ridiculous that parents spend serious money on designer clothes/ accessories/ shoes for their children (talking Burberry, Chanel, etc).
  • Complete side note : Not sure if any of you have dairy queens in your area but if you get a blizzard today one dollar for every blizzard is donated to children's miracle network. Which is a win/win for everyone :)
    They just reopened one near me so I guess I'll go there instead. What's your favorite to order there?

• I really want ice cream/a milkshake now.

• Complete side note : Not sure if any of you have dairy queens in your area but if you get a blizzard today one dollar for every blizzard is donated to children's miracle network. Which is a win/win for everyone :)

They just reopened one near me so I guess I'll go there instead. What's your favorite to order there?

Dude- where do I begin... lol. I'm a huge fan of the cherry cheese quake blizzard. It has chunks of cheesecake in it for the love of God! Another goodie is the chocolate fudge cookie dough one. The possibilities are endless really!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Well, I guess I know where I'm going today, lol. DH will be mad since he can't have any! (He has to lose 15 lbs within the next month for work..)
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• g8trkim said:
    bookqueen said:
    I think I've shared this before, but oh well. I HATE HATE HATE reality shows. Any of them, doesn't matter what: dating shows, marriage shows, talk shows, adventure shows, competition shows, medical shows, anything. Hate them.
    I love reality shows, lol. Shows that make me seriously grit my teeth whenever they come on: Conan, The 700 Club, and Dr. Oz.
    Uh, I can't STAND Dr. Oz! How is he still on? I was flicking through the channels and (sort of accidentally) stopped on him the other day and DH was like, "Turn that off. He's a total quack!" DH is in the medical field so he's particularly annoyed by him.
    I listen to Elvis Duran in the morning show while I get ready in the morning. They have Dr. Oz on more frequently than any other guest, and whenever he's on, my husband always screams about how he's a horrible human being, spreading his agenda using his status. I think a bunch of respectable doctors with associations with Columbia wrote a letter to Columbia about how they need to get rid of him as the head or something of the dept of surgery? I don't know what came out of that, but I remember reading about it on the news. 

YOU SAID (added for clarification/ my quote tree ate your response):  

They weren't respectable doctors who wrote the letter- they were rent-a-docs who were being paid by Monsanto. 
    Dr. Oz spoke out saying he thinks all GMOs should be labeled and Monsanto went on the attack. The problem was the media just regurgitated the story over and over without doing any real journalism and research into who these people were. They were not associated with Columbia. Columbia supported him in all this. 

I am against Monsanto, not because I am necessarily against all GMO (this is just such a broad term that applies to everything from seedless watermelons to roud-up ready corn), but because I do believe in transparency and labeling. 
    With that said, I did look up the article again, because I thought they were respectable doctors that had requested Dr. Oz' removal.
    According to CNN's article, the letter requesting his removal was started by "Dr. Henry Miller, a fellow in scientific philosophy and public policy at Stanford University's Hoover Institute" along with 9 other doctors. but you are right, they were not affiliated with Columbia. However, I think a non tv doctor from Stanford's Hoover institute, which is a very well respected public policy research institute, counts as a "respectable" doctor. 
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Bfavors said:

Bfavors said:

Last time I went I ordered a chocolate chip cookie dough shake. That wasn't what I got. I am not ever going back to that sonic.
  • Ohhhh I love Blizzards. Reese's is the best!
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
    I'm sure I can talk my husband into DQ after our NT scan this afternoon...

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016

My fav is the chocolate crumbly things they put in their cake in between the ice cream cake layers. you get a blizzard with that, and a little mint. It's not on the menu, and sometimes you have to explain it like a million times before those kids (my DQ only has highschool kids working there) understand what you are talking about when you say"that crumbly chocolate thing you guys put in the cake!", but seriously. Try this. IT IS AWESOME

I had no idea you could do this!! I'm going to try it later when we go :) I usually get a French silk pie blizzard with extra pie pieces

Psa for da today

DQ: Buy a BLIZZARD treat TODAY & $1 or more goes to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. @partic DQ: MiracleTreatDay.com. STOP2stop HELP4help. Msg&data apply.

Got it in a text... Since all of you pregnant ladies now are dying for blizzards

My fav is the chocolate crumbly things they put in their cake in between the ice cream cake layers. you get a blizzard with that, and a little mint. It's not on the menu, and sometimes you have to explain it like a million times before those kids (my DQ only has highschool kids working there) understand what you are talking about when you say"that crumbly chocolate thing you guys put in the cake!", but seriously. Try this. IT IS AWESOME

I love that stuff in the cake and always want it but we never have a reason to get the cake. I'm totally going to try this!!!

One of my favs is plain vanilla ice cream sundae with their peanut butter sauce. Yummy!

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• I hate you all. I have IBS and I almost threw up from a blizzard yesterday. No more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

I always get Reese's and then ask for them to mix in hot fudge because it tastes like chocolate ice cream :)
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

I had no idea you could do this!! I'm going to try it later when we go :) I usually get a French silk pie blizzard with extra pie pieces
    MMMM French Silk pie blizzard.... this may need to happen.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • PaniaOPaniaO member
    Waffle anything sounds amazing. I can't remember the last time I had a milkshake, but I would give my left pinky for a waffle milkshake right now, especially if it had chocolate in it, too. Holy cow yes.

Prisons and the labor they churn out are a huge economic force... and I'm pretty sure one of the biggest groups of felons were/are substance-dependent--and (illogically) disproportionately POC. I see this as a pretty solid reason why it's more likely we (the U.S.) will not develop efficacious drug laws and/or reasonably humane correctional systems without equal representation. Flame away--fair share don't care. :)>-
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • One of my OUs for today is pretentious people. Just because you have more money than me and think you're so fancy doesn't make you a better person. When you throw it in people's faces it makes you seem like a brat throwing a hissy fit.
    People who talk about their money all the time make me think they don't have as much as they pretend they do.
    Agreed. No one I know who actually has money talks about it.
  • Bfavors said:

@paniao don't forget the joke that is our mental health system, which also adds to the substance abuse because so many with MH issues self medicate.

This.

• g8trkim said:

bookqueen said:

Bfavors said:

I love reality shows, lol.

Shows that make me seriously grit my teeth whenever they come on: Conan, The 700 Club, and Dr. Oz.

I am against Monsanto, not because I am necessarily against all GMO (this is just such a broad term that applies to everything from seedless watermelons to roud-up ready corn), but because I do believe in transparency and labeling. 
    With that said, I did look up the article again, because I thought they were respectable doctors that had requested Dr. Oz' removal.
    According to CNN's article, the letter requesting his removal was started by "Dr. Henry Miller, a fellow in scientific philosophy and public policy at Stanford University's Hoover Institute" along with 9 other doctors. but you are right, they were not affiliated with Columbia. However, I think a non tv doctor from Stanford's Hoover institute, which is a very well respected public policy research institute, counts as a "respectable" doctor. 

g8trkim said:

bookqueen said:

Bfavors said:

I love reality shows, lol.

Shows that make me seriously grit my teeth whenever they come on: Conan, The 700 Club, and Dr. Oz.

Hoover institute is not affiliated with the university - it's a think tank located in the campus who has received funding from big tobacco to back bogus studies

Pregnancy Ticker