November 2015 Moms

Anxious to know gender

2»

Re: Anxious to know gender

• I'm saying completely excluding those items so they have no clue whether they are a girl or a boy is wrong.  I think you just misunderstood what I was saying.  I was saying trying to specifically not telling them they are a boy or a girl would not be positive.  Telling a baby she is a girl, or he is a boy, I think is a good thing.  Not saying girls should only have "girl" things and boys should only have "boy" things.  Most baby things are gender neutral, and by the time they want more gender specific items, they should be old enough to tell you.  But if you want to name your daughter Amy, and call her she, and buy her something pink, go for it.  

But I am entitled to my opinion, and I think the convention that the child will be raised under, at school, on sport teams, etc... will match their sex, in the majority of cases, so it is ok for moms to call it gender.  I understand that you think it is not ok, but both of our opinions, are just opinions.  So I don't think it is fair to tell someone that is not the gender of her child, or that she will not know the gender of her until the child is older, because the social conventions that the child will be raised will be the gender that matches their sex, in many cases, so it will be their gender, until they decide otherwise.  

You don't have to agree with it, just like I don't agree with you, but I don't think demanding that people do not use the word gender is unfair.  
  • Loading the player...
  • gen·der
    ˈjendər/
    noun
    1. 1.
      the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
      "traditional concepts of gender"
      synonyms:sex
      "variables included age, income, and gender"
  • Merriam Webster Dictionary:

Full Definition of GENDER

a :  a subclass within a grammatical class (as noun, pronoun, adjective, or verb) of a language that is partly arbitrary but also partly based on distinguishable characteristics (as shape, social rank, manner of existence, or sex) and that determines agreement with and selection of other words or grammatical forms
    b :  membership of a word or a grammatical form in such a subclass
    c :  an inflectional form showing membership in such a subclass
    a :  sex <the feminine gender>
    b :  the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex
    See gender defined for English-language learners 
    See gender defined for kids 
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited June 2015
    Not sure why @riott1977 posted the definitions above. If you were trying to prove that you had done your research as suggested above, I'll be the first to tell you research entails much more than googling the definition of a word.
  • urby87urby87 member
    riott1977 said:
    I'm saying completely excluding those items so they have no clue whether they are a girl or a boy is wrong.  I think you just misunderstood what I was saying.  I was saying trying to specifically not telling them they are a boy or a girl would not be positive.  Telling a baby she is a girl, or he is a boy, I think is a good thing.  Not saying girls should only have "girl" things and boys should only have "boy" things.  Most baby things are gender neutral, and by the time they want more gender specific items, they should be old enough to tell you.  But if you want to name your daughter Amy, and call her she, and buy her something pink, go for it.  

But I am entitled to my opinion, and I think the convention that the child will be raised under, at school, on sport teams, etc... will match their sex, in the majority of cases, so it is ok for moms to call it gender.  I understand that you think it is not ok, but both of our opinions, are just opinions.  So I don't think it is fair to tell someone that is not the gender of her child, or that she will not know the gender of her until the child is older, because the social conventions that the child will be raised will be the gender that matches their sex, in many cases, so it will be their gender, until they decide otherwise.  

You don't have to agree with it, just like I don't agree with you, but I don't think demanding that people do not use the word gender is unfair.  
    Why in the world would a child need to play with specific things or dress a certain way, etc. to know that they are a boy or girl?  I often sported short hair and played with hot wheels and legos as a child, and I certainly did not grow up thinking I was a boy.  Nobody is saying that they are going to raise their child completely gender-neutrally; they are simply asking people to use the correct terms when it comes to anatomy vs. gender.
  • I love so much about this entire thread. @VexyMommy - I just adore the crap out of you.

And this quote is everything @cerridwen624
    "I think I can call beef pork, because it's all meat and we are just going to eat it anyway."

Well done ladies. :)

• riott1977 said:

Just a thought, since we are all excited hormonal expectant mothers.  Why don't we just be nice and supportive to each other.  If you don't have anything nice to say, or you don't like what they are posting about, then don't comment, and/or don't even read. And it is not nice to assume someone doesn't care about the health of their baby, because they are excited to learn the gender.  

And it is also kind of rude to point the recently changing definitions of gender, it meant sex interchangeably not too long ago.  And the most likely outcome is that if you having a child who is biologically a male or female, you will also raise them in that gender role, with gender specific outfits, haircuts, toys, names, etc...  There are a a small percentage of people who identify with a gender that doesn't match their sex, but it is rare, so likely the sex and gender will be the same.  And I think it would be very confusing, and in my opinion, not a positive thing to not tell a child their gender and raise them without any gender specific names, clothing, haircuts, and toys and wait until they tell you what they feel like.  So odds are, if you having a biological female, she will also have that gender and be raised with that gender, and there is nothing wrong with that.  

It also isn't wrong if at some point she tells you feels like a male, and you adopt that, but it is almost impossible to raise a child completely gender neutral, so most mothers will be raising their biological males and females in the social norms that define gender, so it will be their gender too, until he or she decides to change, if he or she ever does.  
    Exactly this. There are a lot of mean girls on this board.
  • Don't worry a lot of women on this board are just angry and like constantly calling people out. Unfortunately they never learned if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all. This is honestly the most bitter group of women I have encountered so far on social media. I am due Oct 30th so have been on the Oct group lately bc of this nonsense and the whole tone of the group is different- lighthearted, fun, supportive, great topics, and so far in a few pages have seen none of this garbage. Every other post is tense in the November group as the post police are trolling. Not sure how they have the time to nastily comment on every post. Just ignore.. And if you want to read more supportive posts or just plain fun, check out Oct. I will be spending more time there after checking it out last night!

And to answer your question- you can find out the sex at 16 weeks by blood test which is very accurate or US depending on baby's position, obv there is a chance could be wrong still.. 20 wk anatomy scan is the typical time for this.
  • On baby number 2. Found out the sex of first at 15 weeks, this one found out at 16 weeks. It's not too early at this point
  • VexyMommy said:

We get upset by people who have contributed to the community in absolutley no positive way either trying to get us to stare at their kids genitals or repeat information that 30 seconds of searching either on this board or google would give to them.  Asking first time mommy's to be to act like sensible adults should not be something that the people are bashed for.  I love answering questions and helping people through situations, but if you don't take the smallest amount of initiative to help yourself then honestly  go stew in your own ineptitude. 

I am so fed up with the entitled nature of the women who've shown up on here lately.  "I asked a question that's been asked 30 times in the past week, why don't people love me for it?  They're all so mean."  Grow up and learn that nobody likes a whiner. 

Love this. I probably would have said in a much worser tone & not have so kind worded. Because it does get frustrating reading multiply post & it does get boring constantly hearing how mean some of us are being. When really it's because we are sick to death of reading 100's of same posts.

I was also taught to be honest weather that means saying something people may not like to hear. As pp said grow up & learn that nobody likes a whiner.
  • You guys are whining on every post! You sound like a broken record. There is always going to be new people trying out or looking so unless you want to continue this the rest of your pregnancy I suggest you get over it!
  • urby87urby87 member
    edited June 2015
    You guys are whining on every post! You sound like a broken record. There is always going to be new people trying out or looking so unless you want to continue this the rest of your pregnancy I suggest you get over it!
    The point is that new people should be using some of that time to lurk and get a feel for the community.  If they were doing so, they would probably know that posting crotch shots of your unborn child or pictures of your naked belly - especially if the latter is done outside of an existing HDBD thread - may not be well-received on this particular board.  New members should also be able to utilizing the search feature to find a thread that's already in progress instead of starting the fifth one of the day on the same topic.  You're actually proving our point for us in using the fact that they are new to the board as an excuse for their disregard of the established rapport and candor here.