November 2015 Moms

Anxious to know gender

lke17lke17 member
edited May 2015 in November 2015 Moms
My husband and I are totally divided and honestly as long as it's healthy we don't care if it's a boy or girl but I'm definitely thinking girl and he thinks boy. Anyone found any wives tales or anything that correctly predicted?

Re: Anxious to know gender

• lke17lke17 member
    My 20 week ultrasound is in a month so fortunately I only have about a month to go but still so ready to know haha
  • Loading the player...
  • anneof2anneof2 member
    edited May 2015
    All the old wives tales were wrong with my son, even the chinese calendar and all other predictors were wrong. Every thing and every one was wrong, they all said he was a girl. Even 2 ultrasounds (20 weeks and 28 weeks) said he was going to be a girl. He sure fooled everyone!
  • ash413ash413 member
    The old wives tales are just that tales, they will be right 50%of the time. Just be patient.
  • Let me know if anyone says anything productive! I'm very excited to find out too, and I also have a month to go until my 20 week scan. It's so exciting! Did you have a 12 week scan? There's something called the 'nub theory' that's supposed to give you a clue as to whether you have a girl or boy.
  • I am 15 weeks today and will get an ultrasound to know the sex of the baby on saturday... I can't wait!!
  • Let me know if anyone says anything productive! I'm very excited to find out too, and I also have a month to go until my 20 week scan. It's so exciting! Did you have a 12 week scan? There's something called the 'nub theory' that's supposed to give you a clue as to whether you have a girl or boy.

Also not accurate. I've know 2 women who (according to the nub theory) were "definitely" having one sex only to find out at their anatomy scans that both early assumptions were wrong and they were having the opposite. My SIL was one of those women. She had 3 boys and got so excited being told her 4th was "definitely" a girl based on nub theory. Well she has 4 awesome boys. Waiting until the anatomy scan is best in terms of accuracy.
  • I am 15 weeks today and will get an ultrasound to know the sex of the baby on saturday... I can't wait!!

15w6d is very early for anatomy scan. Are you having a scan for a different reason? I hope everything is OK with your LO.
  • I don't know my doctor is doing mine at 16 weeks and I asked her if that's too early and she said no our machines can tell at that point
  • Interesting. Mine told me they won't do them before week 18 because there is a higher likelihood they won't get the shots needed to check all the organs properly. As an aside, my doctor is part of a high risk group (luckily I am not high risk) so they have great equipment. To each their own though! All that matters is a healthy LO so if your dr can get the shots needed to confirm everything than great.
  • Elyse1384 said:

Let me know if anyone says anything productive! I'm very excited to find out too, and I also have a month to go until my 20 week scan. It's so exciting! Did you have a 12 week scan? There's something called the 'nub theory' that's supposed to give you a clue as to whether you have a girl or boy.

Also not accurate. I've know 2 women who (according to the nub theory) were "definitely" having one sex only to find out at their anatomy scans that both early assumptions were wrong and they were having the opposite. My SIL was one of those women. She had 3 boys and got so excited being told her 4th was "definitely" a girl based on nub theory. Well she has 4 awesome boys. Waiting until the anatomy scan is best in terms of accuracy.
    Yes but it's just a bit of fun really :)
  • You can also get the blood test (Materni21 or Verifi), which checks for chromosomal defects and can determine the sex of the baby as well. That's what I did at 12 weeks.
  • I wasn't implying that you didn't care if baby was healthy or not. I was just simply saying isn't knowing your having a healthy baby a better excitement? I understand the want to plan. Who doesn't like to plan ahead? My response was my opinion.
  • urby87urby87 member
    EllaStaxx said:
    My 20 week ultrasound is in a month so fortunately I only have about a month to go but still so ready to know haha
    You have a lot longer than a month until you find out the child's gender.
    Thank you.
  • lke17lke17 member
    urby87 said:

EllaStaxx said:

leahval said:

Thank you.

I will find out gender at 20 weeks during the anatomy scan so what do you mean I have a lot longer than a month?
    Also I absolutely care if my child is healthy, adding knowing the gender is just fun.

• lke17lke17 member
    Ladies, this post was in no way intended to make people mad or irritated and I don't understand why it has done so. I care very much for this child and I am constantly wondering if it is all right and healthy as this is my first pregnancy and I have never experienced any of this before. I am an anxious person and I care more about this baby then anything I have ever cared about before. I don't understand why me being excited over knowing the gender is so terrible; there are a ton of posts on here about people wanting to know the gender and this is no different. I also am not understanding why people are saying I won't find out at 20 weeks, I can find out during the anatomy scan if I choose to. It's sad that we are all expectant mothers excited for our future child and yet people instead come and just make you feel down.
  • leahval said:

Ladies, this post was in no way intended to make people mad or irritated and I don't understand why it has done so. I care very much for this child and I am constantly wondering if it is all right and healthy as this is my first pregnancy and I have never experienced any of this before. I am an anxious person and I care more about this baby then anything I have ever cared about before. I don't understand why me being excited over knowing the gender is so terrible; there are a ton of posts on here about people wanting to know the gender and this is no different. I also am not understanding why people are saying I won't find out at 20 weeks, I can find out during the anatomy scan if I choose to. It's sad that we are all expectant mothers excited for our future child and yet people instead come and just make you feel down.

You said it-- the are TONS of posts. Add to one of those. Don't make your own. It's board courtesy.
  • urby87urby87 member
    Pontot31 said:
    EllaStaxx said:
    Thank you.
    I will find out gender at 20 weeks during the anatomy scan so what do you mean I have a lot longer than a month? Also I absolutely care if my child is healthy, adding knowing the gender is just fun.
    You will find out the SEX of your child. Not the gender. They are not the same.
    Absolutely.  Sex is biological, while gender is social.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction
  • LSRooLSRoo member

Beetlejuice?

I've been waiting!!
  • EllaStaxx said:
    Beetlejuice?
    I've been waiting!!
    Just because we need a third time.....Beetlejuice!
  • Just a thought, since we are all excited hormonal expectant mothers.  Why don't we just be nice and supportive to each other.  If you don't have anything nice to say, or you don't like what they are posting about, then don't comment, and/or don't even read. And it is not nice to assume someone doesn't care about the health of their baby, because they are excited to learn the gender.  

And it is also kind of rude to point the recently changing definitions of gender, it meant sex interchangeably not too long ago.  And the most likely outcome is that if you having a child who is biologically a male or female, you will also raise them in that gender role, with gender specific outfits, haircuts, toys, names, etc...  There are a a small percentage of people who identify with a gender that doesn't match their sex, but it is rare, so likely the sex and gender will be the same.  And I think it would be very confusing, and in my opinion, not a positive thing to not tell a child their gender and raise them without any gender specific names, clothing, haircuts, and toys and wait until they tell you what they feel like.  So odds are, if you having a biological female, she will also have that gender and be raised with that gender, and there is nothing wrong with that.  

It also isn't wrong if at some point she tells you feels like a male, and you adopt that, but it is almost impossible to raise a child completely gender neutral, so most mothers will be raising their biological males and females in the social norms that define gender, so it will be their gender too, until he or she decides to change, if he or she ever does.  
  • I never recommended forcing children to dress or play with things they don't want to.  That is very presumptuous to say that was what I was saying.  And I wasn't saying all moms have to dress their girls in pink and all boys should play with trucks.  But it is up to that individual parent how they want to raise their child.  We have the right to dress our girls in dresses, or not ever put them in dresses if that is what we want.  Once they get a few years in, then they can tell they hate dresses, or love them, or whatever.  In those first few months, if a mother wants to dress he daughter in pink some days, it doesn't mean she isn't sensitive to the small percentage of people who don't identify genderwise with their sex.  And many girls/women hate dresses and still feel like women.  

I'm just saying I think it is ok for us to call it gender, because gender is the way they will be socially raised, and odds are most parents will be raising their child in the gender role that matches their sex, and that is their right to do it.  I personally think it is better for a child to be in a gender role.  Not saying that you force them to do things against their will, I just think it helps them figure things out in life.  And raising them in their gender role doesn't mean that you are only allowing them to do "girly" things, it just means you are are calling her, she, her, my daughter, my girl, etc...  

And so what I am saying is that if you are going to raise your daughter as a she, her, girl, etc... then that will be her gender and her sex until she tells you otherwise.  So I think it is ok for moms to say that the gender of their baby is boy or girl.  But that's just my opinion, just like it is your opinion that we should not say that about our babies.  

I do think if you don't like what someone is posting about, just skip the post, don't read it.  No need to snap at people about how other people have already posted about it, maybe they are new to Bump and didn't see prior posts, maybe they thought this was the norm since there are so many posts on the topic, it just doesn't make sense to me be rude about it.  Just ignore it.  People will stop posting about it, if nobody comments on their posts.