December 2015 Moms
Options

Worst baby names

Re: Worst baby names

• Options
    I went to summer camp with a girl named Ah Chew.
  • Options
    Embuzz247 said:

I have a unique name. However, IMHO it is beautiful! I never once heard anybody say anything other then "Wow! Your name is so beautiful!" Actually, I hear this at least once a day. I definitely lucked out! Good job mom:-)

I was a preemie and my unique name did not fit a 4lb LO. So for my entire childhood, everybody called me Jodi... I had to struggle and fight to get people to finally call me by my real name. DH uses my real name exclusively but some of my oldest friends call me Jodi which is fine too... As long as they don't introduce me to anybody by my nickname.

So my funny story… And it is not racist at all because the woman that said it was Caucasian so everybody stop before you start with the racism. My friend was in Target buying a whole bunch of things for her dorm room back in college. While being rung out, the clerk said to her, "You must really like target!" So my friend said to her, "I absolutely adore Tarjeé." (pronouncing target as if it was French.) And the woman said to her, "Tarjeé. Where did you get that name Tarjeé? I am going to name my next child Tarjeé!"

#truestory

I love your name! It is pretty!!!

And we pronounce Target as Tarjee' as well, really. But my family is French so it's a joke, but my grandparents don't get the joke lol. My grandparents also pronounce Detroit as "Day-twa". Wouldn't name my children any of those things though.
    Lol! I think that Detroit is the perfect name! It's middle name can be motor-city;-) and thank you so much for the beautiful compliment! I think that everything about you is beautiful!

That is so cute that you guys say Tarjeé also... Marshall's is Marshawls.

bien que je l'habitude de vivre à Genève, mon français est terrible. Cependant, mon père chéri ne me enseigner quelques choses avant mon premier voyage à Paris et le sud de la France (Saint Tropez.) Il m'a enseigné comment dire, je suis
    fatigué, je ne danse pas. Et mon préféré, je suis innocent! Où est le consulat américain?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My bfs daughter is named destiny and its not a freaking stripper name she is a great girl with a name people can spell and its not not going to get her a job
  • Options
    azapor07 said:

I've seen Orangejello and Limonjello and Thankque all as children's names in my job. My jaw about hit the floor on those ones.

I'm so confused! Was this supposed to be like the Italian liquor Limoncello or is it after Jell-O? I can't figure out if it's in Spanish and it is Limon-hello because wouldn't the other name then be Hello de Los naranjas? Can anyone help me figure this out?

• Options
    This Dr told me that a woman actually named her child Placenta because she thought the word sounded so beautiful. What the French, toast?
  • Options
    There was a little girl at the center I work at named Poopie. No joke.

BabyGaga

• Options
    I worked at a preschool and had a kid named R'yan pronounced Ar-ee-on...
  • Options
    amw2133amw2133 member
    kleshelle said:

amw2133 said:

keiragann said:

My friend just told me she is closing the middle name danger for her son so he can say his middle name is danger.

I have a friend who has a son and is currently pregnant with her second son... First sons name is Maximus Awesome and her second son will be name Alexander Amazing.
    I also knew a little boy who's middle name was Danger. Haha
    Is this real life? LOL
    Oh it's totally real life! Hahaha she's such a normal person too that I was shocked when she told me her first sons name. Not as shocked with the second because I figured they would have to follow up with something.
  • Options
    amw2133amw2133 member
    lainey419 said:

I went to summer camp with a girl named Ah Chew.

I have a really good friend named summer camp. Haha I never realized how many people I knew with weird names.
  • Options
    I can't imagine calling my baby something like Keith or Nigel, but I guess all names come back around eventually. Just can't imagine a little baby Keith...
  • Options

Embuzz247 said:

I have a unique name. However, IMHO it is beautiful! I never once heard anybody say anything other then "Wow! Your name is so beautiful!" Actually, I hear this at least once a day. I definitely lucked out! Good job mom:-)

I was a preemie and my unique name did not fit a 4lb LO. So for my entire childhood, everybody called me Jodi... I had to struggle and fight to get people to finally call me by my real name. DH uses my real name exclusively but some of my oldest friends call me Jodi which is fine too... As long as they don't introduce me to anybody by my nickname.

So my funny story… And it is not racist at all because the woman that said it was Caucasian so everybody stop before you start with the racism. My friend was in Target buying a whole bunch of things for her dorm room back in college. While being rung out, the clerk said to her, "You must really like target!" So my friend said to her, "I absolutely adore Tarjeé." (pronouncing target as if it was French.) And the woman said to her, "Tarjeé. Where did you get that name Tarjeé? I am going to name my next child Tarjeé!"

#truestory

And we pronounce Target as Tarjee' as well, really. But my family is French so it's a joke, but my grandparents don't get the joke lol. My grandparents also pronounce Detroit as "Day-twa". Wouldn't name my children any of those things though.
    Lol! I think that Detroit is the perfect name! It's middle name can be motor-city;-) and thank you so much for the beautiful compliment! I think that everything about you is beautiful!

bien que je l'habitude de vivre à Genève, mon français est terrible. Cependant, mon père chéri ne me enseigner quelques choses avant mon premier voyage à Paris et le sud de la France (Saint Tropez.) Il m'a enseigné comment dire, je suis
    fatigué, je ne danse pas. Et mon préféré, je suis innocent! Où est le consulat américain?
    Lol I definitely pronounce it, "marshawls" is there another pronounciation of it? I swear, Michiganders do not have accents! Haha. And I so wish I could read that French, but I haven't spoken it since high school, so I only got a little of it! Eeek! Haha
  • Options
    CMDDCMDD member
    I went to school with a girl named Fanny. I'm sure in her culture it was a popular name, but in elementary school the poor thing was notoriously picked on. Fanny!
  • Options
    BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited May 2015
    @Embuzz247 not to worry sweetheart, I'm certain your French is better than mine since I never even took it in high school. This is all that I know how to say in French. What I said was, " even though I used to live in Geneva, my French is terrible. However, my darling father did teach me prior to my first trip to Paris in the south of France (St. Tropez) A few things to say. 'I am tired! I do not dance.' And 'I am innocent! Where is the American consulate?' " lolol --- I never got to use the second phrase but I have to say that my dad was right and it was a real possibility that I would've needed it!
  • Options
    fioripfiorip member
    @CMDD yeah, Fanny is actually a somewhat popular name amongst Spanish speakers, this is the first time I see it from an English speaker view, must have been rough for her, lol.
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options

@Embuzz247 not to worry sweetheart, I'm certain your French is better than mine since I never even took it in high school. This is all that I know how to say in French. What I said was, " even though I used to live in Geneva, my French is terrible. However, my darling father did teach me prior to my first trip to Paris in the south of France (St. Tropez) A few things to say. 'I am tired! I do not dance.' And 'I am in a send! Where is the American consulate?' " lolol

Haha! Well my friends and I, in high school just remembered the dirty words and phrases. My fav being, "je une petite sausicison." Which means "I have a small sausage" we'd get guys to repeat it all the time, it cracks me up to this day. Must be the immature teenager part still in me lol.
  • Options
    Someone I know from high school named her poor daughter Brannigan. A) that's totally a boy's name (and that sentiment from someone who adores androgynous names and boy names for girls)
    B) I cannot see this poor child's name or picture without thinking of Zap Brannigan from Futurama
  • Options
    Embuzz247 said:

@Embuzz247 not to worry sweetheart, I'm certain your French is better than mine since I never even took it in high school. This is all that I know how to say in French. What I said was, " even though I used to live in Geneva, my French is terrible. However, my darling father did teach me prior to my first trip to Paris in the south of France (St. Tropez) A few things to say. 'I am tired! I do not dance.' And 'I am in a send! Where is the American consulate?' " lolol

Haha! Well my friends and I, in high school just remembered the dirty words and phrases. My fav being, "je une petite sausicison." Which means "I have a small sausage" we'd get guys to repeat it all the time, it cracks me up to this day. Must be the immature teenager part still in me lol.
    Lolol!!! My mom took French in high school and she could only remember one saying. It was, Excusez-moi monsieur vous êtes assis sur mon chapeau!
    (excuse me sir but you are sitting on my hat!)

She never ever thought that she would get the chance to use it. And then one day… My father sat on her hat!!! She started screaming at my Dad Excusez-moi monsieur, vous êtes assis sur mon chapeau! Over and over again… I have tears rolling down my face… That was so funny! It's nice to have good memories with my father, I miss him so much today!
  • Options

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
     by any other name would smell as sweet."

Just a what if scenario...What if someone named "(Insert your name here)" does something famously horrific. Soon people start associating said action with that name. Then maybe people start calling others that name to make fun of them or bully them. Is said name an instant worst name? If so, is that fair?

• Options
    CMDDCMDD member
    @mtucker84 I don't think fair is a real construct once you're out of kindergarten. That's rough, but I wouldn't name my baby Hitler (obv his last name) even if I did like it. I wonder if Adolf is still a popular name?
  • Options
    I know a family that named their kids Sierra, Skye, and River. They're not names I hate but just thought it was a cool idea. :) Colorado natives for sure haha
  • Options
    @CMDD as a Jew myself, I'm going to go ahead and say that the name Adolph as a first name is also a turn off (even though people do you still use it today in Germany and elsewhere.) You can add to that name, Stalin, Mussolini, Kim Jong Il (or Sung), Osama, Napoleon, Vlad, Jihad (seriously, my father had a business associate named Jihad), Saddam, Ghengis, Nero, Atilla, Manson, John Wayne... Okay… I'll stop now! But there are a lot of names that stink.
  • Options
    @BostonBaby1 I literally know someone naming their baby John Wayne (first and middle), I thought it was pretty odd
  • Options

@BostonBaby1 I literally know someone naming their baby John Wayne (first and middle), I thought it was pretty odd

Let's just hope it was for the actor instead of John Wayne Gaycee (sorry... My mind is stuck on sociopaths from the last post!) ah!
  • Options
    Not surprised at all, glad everyone feels the need to worry about names and if it will hurt a child, how about being judgemental period is what hurts. I can't say I agree with every name I come across, but it's not my child, not my choice, not my problem. Let's just say, I stress about more important things in life.
  • Options
    I went to college with a boy named Adolf he said it was a family name and he hated it. My friends husbands name is Adolfo but he goes by Adolf he always make a point to say his name is Adolfo I don't know why he doesn't just stick with Adolfo.
  • Options

My friend just told me they're calling their son Maverick and I'm likeimage

• Options
    Just came across an employee at my company named Twinkle.

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Let's just hope it was for the actor instead of John Wayne Gaycee (sorry... My mind is stuck on sociopaths from the last post!) ah!
    Whew! I was wondering what really horrific thing John Wayne (The Duke) did that I didn't know about to get on that list!

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I dunno i just really hate all boys names that end in -ustin (Justin, Austin, Dustin)
  • Options
    My maiden name is Reeck. Not TOO bad on its own but my poor mother thought I should be named after my grandmother and made "Maye" my middle name. So, if you say my full name, it makes a sentence. Lol. It could have been worse, a girl I knew mom's name was Reek Balls, I believe. Both German names ;)
  • Options
    I went to school with a girl named Cinderella. Obviously she went by Cindy. I am fairly certain her middle name was Coral, like under the sea.
  • Options
    No one stalk me but my last name is Gaffney and my parents wanted to name me Daphne for the longest time. My mom was a few weeks out from labor when she finally said it out loud and realized it rhymed. My sister actually ended up naming me at birth because my parents didn't like anything else and now her daughter, my niece, is named after me.

But Daphne Gaffney totally would have gotten me beat up!
  • Options
    mfargliomfarglio member
    edited May 2015

Embuzz247 said:

#truestory

No freaking way. My boyfriend wanted to name our kid Motor City. He said he was joking but I'm pretty sure he was half serious. No thanks.

And he likes the name Maverick...after the type of cigarettes he smokes... I'm like no. You're not naming our child.

Luckily we have our names picked out because they're family names so I don't have to put up with his weird opinions.

ETA: Grew up near Detroit and we always called it Day-twah as well. Actually everyone did where I went to school!
  • Options
    hrausch1 said:

I dunno i just really hate all boys names that end in -ustin (Justin, Austin, Dustin)

That's definitely an UO. Those are all pretty decent names. Your opinion though ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My mom wanted to name me Jamimah!!!! She thought it was pretty cause it means dove but it just makes me hungry for pancakes with syrup.
  • Options
    Now I'm craving pancakes! Thanks lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker