December 2015 Moms
Options

Worst baby names

Re: Worst baby names

• Options
    My Cousin just announced he's naming his son Jesse James... Not sure how I feel about it
  • Options
    rmj28rmj28 member
    I can out-cuss my Sailor Father.. And do. Daily. I cuss more than anyone I know.

My mom's suggestion was to just give our baby a middle inital of E or F, and when people ask what it stands for - he/she can say "effin".

Just say your first name, effin, then your last name and tell me you aren't a badass.

My husband thinks it's just as funny. Don't get me wrong, I won't. But the idea is hilarious for us. It's been a running joke for a couple weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rmj28rmj28 member
    Also, I work with La. As in LaLa. Middle name? RaMe. As in Do-ray-me.

Alright.
  • Options

My Cousin just announced he's naming his son Jesse James... Not sure how I feel about it

He lives near me. No joke.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I was going through my baby names book and was horrified to see "Kum-stane" as a name! It was from a list a NY teacher put together from her class. "female" was also on there. SMH
  • Options
    CMDDCMDD member
    Prissy! Toy! Chrysalis?! @alysiawiebe that cannot be real
  • Options
    Female is pronounced Fa-mah-leh. Beautiful, right? ;)
  • Options
    coree730coree730 member
    edited May 2015
    My childhood friend has 4 daughters- Princess, Sunshine, Summer and Precious. I have been SMH ever since the first name was revealed. In my opinion Summer is the lucky one!

Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • Options
    I've got a few. There was a girl that came in my work last week named Summerlyn Poon. I had an applicant once named Wonda'ful. And I used to know two kids named Real-Deja and Your Majesty.
  • Options
    redfallon said:

Upstate NY??
  • Options
    Do people who name their kids crazy names think of what it would sound like during high school or collage graduation? What about a job interview? What about school? I'm a teacher and see a ton of different names come into my room year after year. Some are very unique and strong names that the child can go far in life with but others make me say to myself "oh God! What were they thinking?!?!?" Worst one is Nevaeh!!! Do you know how many times I heard it's like Heaven spelled backwards! Like duh I know that!
  • Options
    Neither are bad names individually but together, not so much.

My niece (SIL's daughter) is Hailey Kailey. They couldn't decide which they liked better as a first name so they just went for both. 
  • Options
    I had an anatomy professor named Brock Lee. I remember literally stifling a laugh while looking over the syllabus.
  • Options
    dp1320dp1320 member
    The girl that Checked me out at the grocery store the other day's name was Earth
  • Options
    I've got a few good ones. I went to high school with two twins named Frosty and Misty. Not horrible names in themselves, but their last name was Gale (like, a blustery windstorm!)

I'm also a preschool teacher, and hear some atrocious names every year. I'm being 100% truthful when I say I met a baby boy this year named Popeye. POPEYE!! Like, Popeye the Sailor Man or Popeye's Chicken! That's like naming your child SpongeBob. I almost laughed and asked if it was a nickname, but thank god I didn't because I could tell on mom's face she was tired of hearing it.
  • Options
    Ooh I just remembered one more! My mom also worked at an elementary school and had a student named PrincessKamala. One word. And you the parents insisted you could NOT call her Princess or Kamala as a nickname. It must be PrincessKamala.
  • Options
    I pretty much despise the celebrity "unique" names thing. Like, let's make up a word and make it our child's name...or better yet, we love _____ food! I feel like I should blame Gwenyth Paltrow for starting it (even though I'm sure she wasn't the first), because...Apple? Really? A fruit? What's wrong with the THOUSANDS of names that are real and have history?

Also, every name that you read and have no idea how to pronounce. Why would you submit your kid to that for their entire life??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    CMDDCMDD member
    PrincessKamala wowzers
  • Options
    Upstate NY??
    No, Jesse James lives outside of Austin. At least the one that was married to Sandra Bullock.

Jamie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I worked in university housing as an undergrad and saw roommates Princess and Dyana (not related, fortunately). I think both of those are kind of "WHY?" but together takes it to "WTF?!"
    "Good for her! Not for me." - Amy Poehler

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I worked in university housing as an undergrad and saw roommates Princess and Dyana (not related, fortunately). I think both of those are kind of "WHY?" but together takes it to "WTF?!"

BaHaha, the person who assigns room died when they put them together.
  • Options
    @Ashfully I have hated Gwenyth Paltrow for years... esp after she said that it is 'irresponsible for mothers to work outside the home'... ooh she makes me mad. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    fioripfiorip member

@Ashfully I have hated Gwenyth Paltrow for years... esp after she said that it is 'irresponsible for mothers to work outside the home'... ooh she makes me mad. 

She said that? I didn't like her because she felt pretentious and fake humble to me, now I like her less.
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options
    CMDDCMDD member
    i'd be surprised if she said that since she works outside of her home?
  • Options

I was an RA in college and I had a resident named Skye Walker. I never could decide whether her parents were mean or exceedingly awesome lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    CMDDCMDD member
    The more we talk about weird names the more i kind of like them! hah :P
  • Options
    flyingmombulaflyingmombula member
    edited May 2015
    @CMDD it was something she put on GOOP pretty soon after Apple and Moses were born and has since removed (due to heavy backlash). She also says ignorant s*** about what moms 'should' feed their kids, etc. We're not all rich and famous. 

Edit: actually I was completely wrong. Oops. It was more to the tune of this:  https://www.today.com/parents/gwyneth-paltrow-advises-enrages-working-moms-1C7399072

SaveSave
  • Options
    So when you say unique spelling... Does this qualify ?
  • Options
    AshfullyAshfully member
    edited May 2015

This is exactly what I mean. I hate that! Someone I work with named their daughter Qloaie (that's Chloe, in case you were wondering)...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Didn't she say that her life is much more difficult than it is for regular ol' working moms? Because, you know, having millions of dollars and the ability to hire people to do everything for you makes life really, really hard.
  • Options
    My name is Skyla. My parents had only picked a boy name (Skylar) and when I was born they just dropped the r. I get compliments on it all the time so it's not terrible but every time I introduce myself.. "Hi I'm Skyla". "Nice to meet you Skylar". Yes, clearly I mispronounced my own name. I've corrected people so many times I just go with it now. Some people thing my name is Skylar. Some think it's Kayla. Whatever.
  • Options
    redfallon said:

redfallon said:

Upstate NY??

No, Jesse James lives outside of Austin. At least the one that was married to Sandra Bullock.

No they pregnant now I was like what? Yeah I tried to talk him out of it. His daughters name is faith which I get. He's naming the kid after the outlaw.... And my parents thought me wanting Sebastian for a boy was bad. They also didn't like my nephews name of Asher but it fits him well as naming him "happy" which is what Asher means would be weird. Yes my sister picked a name that meant happy because it was her favorite one of the 7 dwarfs from Snow White.
  • Options
    Ashfully said:

This is exactly what I mean. I hate that! Someone I work with named their daughter Qloaie (that's Chloe, in case you were wondering)...
    Qloaie literally made my eye twitch.
  • Options
    I am forever thankful I wasn't born a boy! Both my parents are Spanish but we all live and I was born in UK so introducing myself as Jesus wouldn't have had quite the same ring to it as it would in Spain. Thank you for my lady bits!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Ashfully said:

It's funny... I totally didn't have any problem reading that as Chloe. Haha... Clearly I'm a teacher and have had some oddly spelled names. :)

• Options
    I'm lurking from January :)>-

My sister came across an adi... Full name Adrenaline.
  • Options
    cluengas2cluengas2 member
    edited May 2015
    A lot of these "awful" names are cultural. Mercedes and Cuauhtemoc are both pretty common names here in Mexico. K versus C names are typically spelled differently based on country of origen. There are some names that we wouldnt choose for our own babies... but I almost feel like the Bump isn't the place to judge names. We are already stressing enough... now I am afraid to find the names we have chosen on the worst baby name thread...
  • Options
    Another add to the mix. I have a friend named twilight and her sister was dawn after the time of day they were conceived. Her mom had her name legally changed to twilia when she broke up with her father. She loved twilight hated twilia. I agree with her on that one twilight gets a lot of slack because of the Twilight series but she rolls with it ;)