2nd Trimester

Can I name a baby girl Murphy?

Really like the name Murphy for a girl. And it can be a girls name, Irish in origin. But it's largely used as a boys name. What do people think?

Re: Can I name a baby girl Murphy?

• Loading the player...
  • Like Murphy Brown? Okay. You could. But no. Don't do that to her.
  • Please don't. 
  • What about Murph from Interstellar? It'll definitely be a unique name, but I agree with the other posters.
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Yea all I can think is Murphy Brown... You can name your baby whatever you would like to, but it probably wouldn't be a popular choice.
  • I don't mind it,
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • jaquex3jaquex3 member
    I don't really like the name Murphy for boys at all but it would definitely be a unique girls name!! It could grow on people pretty easily.
  • Not a choice I would go for a girl.
  • It would be unique. Personally, I don't love it, but what matters is that you do
  • You should make your baby Murphy if that's the name you love. Some people will hate it, some will love it. You baby will grow into the name, and you won't second guess the choice once it does. ;)
  • It's my last name. All of my coworkers and my supervisor call me Smurf. Some people call me Murphy Brown too. I don't mind it, it's kind of funny to me. But just be aware that there's a good chance she will be known as Smurf to most people and her friends.
  • Murphy Brown was great! Go for it.
  • csy2947csy2947 member
    Not my cup of tea but it would be fine. It's not crazy like making your baby lamp and not as masculine as naming her Andrew or something
  • Its ur baby and u can name her whatever u like and actually their are some celebrities with babies named murphy. I think its cute. But it shouldn't mattet what anybody else thinks. It just matters what u and ur husband thinks
  • I think it would be a huge mistake.
  • csy2947csy2947 member
    edited May 2015
    Murphy is a name. It's recognizable as a name and is spelled correctly. I know people who hate the fact that their name is Sarah! Only so much you can do. As long as you give them a name that is recognizable and not insanely spelled you've done your part, everyone feels differently about their name and about names in general, impossible to know how your own child will feel.

I wouldn't have any preconceived negative connotations on the name Murphy but I would probably assume male sight unseen. But a lot of names that girls are getting today are like that so I think it would be fine.
  • bbiutmcph said:

I never understand all the "do what you want it only matters what you like" comments. Are mom and dad the ones living with the name? Can mom and dad follow you around your entire life defending the name? Mom and dad aren't the ones who will have to live it, put in on resumes, introduce themselves, deal with the questions or oh I expected a guy comments. Yes mom and dad fill out the birth certificate but that is it. You are choosing someone else's name and just because you can choose whatever you want doesn't mean you should.

Branching off from this, I don't understand the "do what you want to do" and "it doesn't matter what people think" comments because that was not what OP asked for. She asked for opinions on the name. Obviously at the end of the day, she knows it's her choice and no one else's but that's not the point here.
  • My name is Pennie like the coin but spelled differently and I hate it cause I was always made fun of in school but I like it cause im the only one on earth who has that name and the way its spelled and I get a lot of compliments now that I am older.
  • Hey I love the name Murphy too!!! Fell in love with it after seeing interstellar. My husband is on board and if we used it, our daughter would be Murphy Joan. Anyone I've told has looked at me like I crazy, but I don't really care. I think it's adoreable!
  • beccraar said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I know it's our choice at end of the day, but it's good to get an idea of what others think. Husband likes the name more than me, and he couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about the name. But I like to think of what the child will think of it when they're older etc, and would worry about them being mistaken for a man on forms etc, or marrying someone called Mr Murphy! You've all put me off enough that I probably won't call him/her Murphy! (Unless hubby gets his way)

Those are all good things to consider. Have you tried the Baby Names board? They might have some good name ideas for you as well.
  • I think it's a great name but if you're not as in love with it as your husband is it may be worth considering another name. Have you "tested" it, like referring to baby Murphy together? If so, how does it feel? That should be a good indicator to see if the name works or not. Good luck! This is the hard part for some of us!

@CatsAreShady best use of a gif I've ever seen on here! I freaking love Dwight. Thanks for the Monday giggles.
  • Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
  • I think it's a great name but if you're not as in love with it as your husband is it may be worth considering another name. Have you "tested" it, like referring to baby Murphy together? If so, how does it feel? That should be a good indicator to see if the name works or not. Good luck! This is the hard part for some of us!

@CatsAreShady best use of a gif I've ever seen on here! I freaking love Dwight. Thanks for the Monday giggles.

@PreggersinParis I aim to please ;)
  • I'm ALL for boys names for girls... I've always been Dan or Dani, I was almost named Stevie and one of my top girls names is Elliot... But try to think of the nicknames that will be associated with the name. Do you remember how cruel kids can be? Smurf is literally all I think of when I try to figure out what names she could be teased with. There are just WAY to many opportunities to be teased with the name. 
  • casszehcasszeh member
    I love it! Do you!
  • Elysia21Elysia21 member
    edited May 2015
    I honestly think it's too much. Not even remotely feminine, and have a hard time picturing it....

Do think of her future and not just trying to be different or even indifferent to others opinions (hubby) Would you like it if your name was Murphy? Food for thought. Good luck.

Cheers :)
  • ElecinElecin member
    You can and should name your baby whatever you want.  

• ElecinElecin member
    edited May 2015
    bbiutmcph said:
    I never understand all the "do what you want it only matters what you like" comments. Are mom and dad the ones living with the name? Can mom and dad follow you around your entire life defending the name? Mom and dad aren't the ones who will have to live it, put in on resumes, introduce themselves, deal with the questions or oh I expected a guy comments. Yes mom and dad fill out the birth certificate but that is it. You are choosing someone else's name and just because you can choose whatever you want doesn't mean you should.

But you don't have to understand it.  

• Can you? Sure. Should you? Probably not.

The whole surname/boy names on girls is a trendy mess that I am, personally, completely over at this point. Girls with boy names are going to be as timestamped as Ashleys in the 80's and Emilys in the 90's. Also, as a high school teacher, the name Murphy opens her up to a LOT of teasing. Keep in mind that your daughter will have to live with this name her entire life...she'll have to introduce herself ('no, that's not my last name!'), put it on her resume ('yes, i am a woman'), and be told over and over again, 'I was expecting a man!' Just some things to consider.
  • Please be careful naming your kid after a movie character. It'll be trendy for a few years and then suddenly she's going to be one of six murphys in her class.
  • As soon as you said Irish origin, I loved it! However kids are getting meaner and meaner and I think she'd have a very hard time with that name. 
  • Yes and I like it! But don't listen to anyone, name her what YOU like.
  • beccraar said:
    Really like the name Murphy for a girl. And it can be a girls name, Irish in origin. But it's largely used as a boys name. What do people think?
    I actually think it's kinda cute! You may get negative feedback from family and friends, but it's ultimately up to you and your SO.