April 2015 Moms
Options

Marginal Cord Insertion

Has anyone else been told they have a marginal cord insertion?

From what my doctor has told me it isn't something to worry too much about.. Just a lot more checks on babies growth

I'm curious if anyone has had a negative experience with this problem or if I'm worrying for nothing?

I've read it may be beneficial to just go straight to having a c-section?

I'm 30 weeks and baby is approximately 2.6 pounds as of last weeks ultrasound.

Re: Marginal Cord Insertion

• Options
    I would ask your doctor about what the best course of action would be regarding the whole c-section thing before some random person on the Internet telling me their experience just because EVERY pregnancy is different and only your doctor has all the information about you and baby. Listen to your doctor and don't stress out!

Has anyone else been told they have a marginal cord insertion?

From what my doctor has told me it isn't something to worry too much about.. Just a lot more checks on babies growth

I'm curious if anyone has had a negative experience with this problem or if I'm worrying for nothing?

I've read it may be beneficial to just go straight to having a c-section?

I'm 30 weeks and baby is approximately 2.6 pounds as of last weeks ultrasound.

• Options
    Hi, this is my first time posting here, but I am experiencing a similar issue (velamentous cord insertion, which is where the cord is even farther off the edge of the placenta than with marginal insertion). I, too, am having frequent monitoring/ultrasounds to check growth. I'm at 30 weeks this week, next u/s is at 31 weeks. 28 week u/s checked out fine for growth.

I would definitely trust your doc in his/her recommendation regarding c-section etc. I did extensive reading of the medical literature (I'm a biomedical researcher) and was convinced I'd need a c-section. However, my doc reassured me that I should try for a vaginal birth and not to worry (he says he sees at least two of these a month and all end in successful vaginal delivery), as the cord is placed high in my uterus away from my cervix. The docs can see this on u/s, so if they haven't discussed the location of your placenta/cord relative to your cervix with you, you should definitely ask them (and have them draw you a picture!) so you can put your mind at ease. A c-section is only required if the cord is near the cervix, which is called vasa previa (which, unfortunately is often discussed in articles along with marginal/velamentous cord insertion, although they are separate issues). If this is the case, which I'm guessing it isn't since your doc said not to worry, they would not give you the option of a c-section, they would just schedule it.

Keep us updated if you'd like! Best of luck to a healthy rest of your pregnancy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This baby also has a marginal insertion. My doctor was very reassuring that there was no reason this would be need for a C-section and that it won't necessarily cause any growth restriction. I was already having additionally growth scans, so this is just another reason for those. Best of luck!
  • Options
    ecpaull said:

hi there!! I specialize in pathology and we see placentas every day. marginally (and velamentously for the other poster) inserted cords happen quite often and healthy babies are born all the time with them. no need to worry and stress yourself, everything will be just fine xoxo

Says RANDOM STRANGER ON INTERNET.

OP, please just listen to the person you pay/or your insurance pays to be your doctor not the bump.

• Options
    @emily paull‌ why would you attack her for saying that OP should ask her dr!? I understand you may have "experience" but you are not a licensed expert in obstetrics. None of us are. Meganmcmuffin was actually just being helpful, way to be an adult and go straight to name calling.
  • Options
    meganmcmuffinmeganmcmuffin member
    edited February 2015

no, I am not a licensed OB but OBs aren't the only people in medicine who handle babies and placentas.  I've been on this board since last summer and I have read nothing but women mocking and belittling others when questions are asked.  I rarely post, but when someone asks a question about something that I am federally licensed in, I will answer.  I do not deserve to be mocked when I was only trying to be reassuring and supportive of the OP. 

As an educated woman and soon to be mother,I think it's important that other women realize the dangers of asking MEDICAL QUESTIONS to complete strangers. There is no way to verify your educational background on "the Bump".
    I used this thing called humor, to get this point across to OP.

OP, my original advice stands, listen to your doctor.

Edit: words can be hard before second breakfast. Haha
  • Options

no, I am not a licensed OB but OBs aren't the only people in medicine who handle babies and placentas.  I've been on this board since last summer and I have read nothing but women mocking and belittling others when questions are asked.  I rarely post, but when someone asks a question about something that I am federally licensed in, I will answer.  I do not deserve to be mocked when I was only trying to be reassuring and supportive of the OP. 

You literally said to her that her medical issue is completely normal and no reason to worry because it's fine. The ONLY person qualified to make that statement is her specific dr. I dont care what you are licensed in you do not know her, nor the specifics of her condition. There is being reassuring and then there is being downright reckless and potentially causing major harm to a woman and her unborn child by stating.your OPINION as medical fact.
    Frankly it concerns me that as a "medical professional" you feel its alright to go out dispensing medical advice to a pregant woman that you do not personally treat. My pharmacist wont even address questions about medication. And that is his licensed field of expertise. His answer is always "consult your OB".

• Options

Edit: words can be hard before second breakfast. Haha

I still stand behind the fact that second breakfasts are the bests of breakfasts.

\:D/
  • Options
    Sorry ladies I didn't mean to start a feud.. I was more so just curious if anyone else had experienced the same thing. Thank you everyone for all your comments and stories! I appreciate it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"