September 2012 Moms
Options

UOs and Randoms

Thank god this week is almost over.

Benjy had a bad reaction to his 4mo shots, and basically cried/whimpered from 1am on, so I brought him into bed with us so I could more easily comfort him/re plug his paci every 5 minutes.

I am exhausted, and have a business dinner to attend that doesn't start until 7pm.  I'm usually in my happy clothes long before that.

Re: UOs and Randoms

• Options
    Cal got up every 3 fricking hours last night.  He's been sleeping until 630 for a week now.  WTF little boy?  He got up at 445 and every time I laid him down to go back to sleep, he woke up and squaked about it, so I finally said f it and put him on the floor so he could play & whine about it while I got ready for work.  It made me so darn crabby that I'm having a hard time shaking it.  I got stuck at a train, Nancy's snotty/coughing because her molars are coming in and then I realized I forgot my debit card on the counter, so I couldn't stop and grab a frothy coffee beverage from Kwik Trip.  

I know none of these things are actually important in reality, but I cannot stop being a crabass today, despite realizing that it's stupid and unnecessary.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    Anyone remember when I can take a baby in a pool?
    My Aunt's Mom lives in a condo with an indoor pool and invited us over to swim.  Nancy is ecstatic, however I'm not sure when I can actually put Cal in the water....is there a rule, or am I just making that up?

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hannah came into the bathroom while I was getting ready this morning "coloring" on my employee ID with a red sharpie that she dug out of the pockets of H's pants.

• Options
    UO: I think if you win money, you shouldn't feel pressured to donate it right back to the organization hosting the raffle. I feel like this is happening everywhere -- at work events (I work for a nonprofit), at events where I volunteer through the United Way. It's to the point where if someone wins and doesn't hand the money back over, people talk smack about the person. I give throughout the year to different organizations, but if I win a raffle, it's mine dammit:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    UO: I don't believe making kids clean their plates. I think it causes bad habits and can lead to a lifetime of overeating/not listening to your body. Sometimes I'm hungry, sometimes not so much. Why wouldn't kids be the same?
    I never push my girls to clean their plate. I do push them to try a bite of everything on it though. It's still no big deal with DD2 as she tries a bite of all the food anyways, especially if it's off my plate. It's more of a struggle with DD1. I also ask DD1 to take a few more bites, usually 2 or 3 after she says she is done. But it's not "sit there until your foods all gone!".

******Stuck
    Same here.

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    UO: I don't believe making kids clean their plates. I think it causes bad habits and can lead to a lifetime of overeating/not listening to your body. Sometimes I'm hungry, sometimes not so much. Why wouldn't kids be the same?
    I never push my girls to clean their plate. I do push them to try a bite of everything on it though. It's still no big deal with DD2 as she tries a bite of all the food anyways, especially if it's off my plate. It's more of a struggle with DD1. I also ask DD1 to take a few more bites, usually 2 or 3 after she says she is done. But it's not "sit there until your foods all gone!".
    I try to do the 3-bite rule. If you take 3 bites and don't want any more, that's fine. You've given it a shot. This is easier with DS, as DD is still young enough that sometimes she wants 0 bites, and that's fine too.

• Options
    I have the worst eater in the world.

Even if I force her to take a bite of a food she normally loves, she will spit it back out if she doesn't want it.

She can be a real asshole.

• Options
    Anyone remember when I can take a baby in a pool?
    My Aunt's Mom lives in a condo with an indoor pool and invited us over to swim.  Nancy is ecstatic, however I'm not sure when I can actually put Cal in the water....is there a rule, or am I just making that up?

We were told we could go in as soon as her umbilical stump was healed all the way. So DD2 was in the pool around 2 weeks old I think. Just make sure to give him a good wash/rinse when your done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I thought I was going to avoid the aggravation of trying to photograph my kids for our Christmas card this year. Some local photographers were hosting a photo session that was a benefit for a local kid with cancer. Good cause, photos done, I figured. But now, because it's supposed to rain this Saturday, the outside photo session is canceled and I'm back to square one. It might be too late to even find another photographer with a session open, and I somehow sense DH is just going to say photograph them ourselves. Argh.

• Options
    I was up until 5:30/6:00 this morning. It wasn't even the baby keeping me up this time. I'm so fing tired, I wish I could take a sick day I can't so today shall be a pajama and movie day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm with everyone else in having her take a few more bites after she says she's done, especially since I find she wants a treat a half hour later. 

My least favorite part of winter are how dry my cuticles and hands get. 
  • Options
    I don't believe on cleaning their plates either. I also don't believe in forcing them to eat things they don't want to eat. Trying, yes, but once we've established they don't like it, it's done. My dad had me swallowing peas like pills until I was 16. Dude, I don't like peas and I'm not going to grow to like them by swallowing them whole and washing them down. So I will make the kids try a bite or two of things that they've never tried, but I'm not going to keep putting it on their plate over and over if we've established that they don't like it.
  • Options
    Having 4 kids is awesome and I love it. But holy shit, I am SO tired.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    I thought I was going to avoid the aggravation of trying to photograph my kids for our Christmas card this year. Some local photographers were hosting a photo session that was a benefit for a local kid with cancer. Good cause, photos done, I figured. But now, because it's supposed to rain this Saturday, the outside photo session is canceled and I'm back to square one. It might be too late to even find another photographer with a session open, and I somehow sense DH is just going to say photograph them ourselves. Argh.
    I did ours myself.  I wanted to drink at 930am.  It was so goofy.  See example below....this is how they ALL turned out.  Shenancigans & the unimpressed baby.  It was hilarious.
    This is what I'm afraid of. Most of my pics are a blur of DS being a fool and DD lunging at whoever is taking the pic.

• Options
    AKB090609 said:
    I was up until 5:30/6:00 this morning. It wasn't even the baby keeping me up this time. I'm so fing tired, I wish I could take a sick day I can't so today shall be a pajama and movie day.
    DS climbed into our bed at 5:10 a.m., which would have been fine if he would just lay the f down. But no, it's constant wiggling, elbows and kicking for the next hour. So I woke up tired and grumpy.

• Options
    I don't believe on cleaning their plates either. I also don't believe in forcing them to eat things they don't want to eat. Trying, yes, but once we've established they don't like it, it's done. My dad had me swallowing peas like pills until I was 16. Dude, I don't like peas and I'm not going to grow to like them by swallowing them whole and washing them down. So I will make the kids try a bite or two of things that they've never tried, but I'm not going to keep putting it on their plate over and over if we've established that they don't like it.
    I use to do this too but I covered my peas with applesauce to get them down!

but i agree about not cleaning the plate.  I am trying to get him to try things, which seems to be the biggest struggle in our house right now.  I don't care if you don't like it and don't want it but at least try it!  

I also will never make my child a separate meal because he does not like what we are having for dinner.  he can eat more of one thing and none of another if he doesn't like something, rather than having a separate cooked meal.  DH's mother did this and it turned him into the picker eater he is today.  I am still at 30 some years old breaking him of her bad habits!!  When I met him 14 years ago he ate only veggies he ate were corn, carrots and salad without dressing, now he will more veggies prepared  in more ways than i can count: progress
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • Options
    I like uncooked peas on salads, and I like them in pot pie or fried rice. Plain cooked ones though? Eww.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Also, I hate mashed potatoes.  It's a texture thing for me.  I don't like them baked either.  I want my potatoes to have a bite to them...roasted, fried, etc.  The fluffly stuff?  It just doesn't do anything for me.

I also don't like cottage cheese or things with that weird consistency.

Another thing?  Oatmeal cookies. I feel like it ruins them.  Oatmeal chocolate chip?  Why?  Just make chocolate chip!
    EDIT: for the record, I love oatmeal.  I eat it almost everyday at work.  I just don't like it in cookies.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited December 2014
    I don't even make my kids try a bite of everything and I don't think I have ever told them to eat a couple more bites when they ask to put their plate up. But they also never ask for more food following dinner and we don't do treats after dinner. The only thing I do is if they want seconds of something, they have to eat x number of y. Want some more chicken, eat 2 carrots. They are also good eaters for the most part so it has never been something I have pushed. They change what they like all the time and I know my palate has changed a lot since I was 4, 10, 20, 30...

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I like peas.  I mix my food though, so if I'm having potatoes or pasta, I will mix the peas in when I take a bite. 

I do not like pea pods though!
  • Options
    I don't push W to clean her plate because I'm lucky if she takes two bites, plus I want to eat what she doesn't eat. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    AKB090609 said:
    You win, good grief.  I went to bed at 3:15 and got up at 7:30.  I am working from home, but DH is here with W since our sitter called off.  I can't take a nap because he'll just wonder why the F he took off work, otherwise I totally would sneak a nap.

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Snap peas are one of my favorite veggies. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    jenndub said:
    Jimmy Fallon has a new baby girl and they named her Francis but call her Frannie. So now he has Winnie and and Frannie. I love it!!!!!
    MOTHERFUCKER.  This was on my current top 3.  :(  Franki was what I was going for.  Pardon my dirty mouth.

• Options
    @hmp1 those are SO CUTE!

• Options
    I'm shocked at how many people would send their child to bed without dinner instead of making a something else the kid will eat. I think they have either never had to go to bed without dinner or have forgotten how it feels. I understand the 'we don't negotiate dinner' and the 'I make something they will like with the meal', but what if they absolutely do not like anything you have made?
    ETA: This may just be about being an older kid remembering how it was in my family.
    I wouldn't send her to bed without dinner, because I'd be worried she'd wake up hungry.  We have enough sleep issues as it is!
  • Options
    Going to bed without eating dinner and going to be hungry are two different things. My kids clean their plates at breakfast and lunch, seriously I am not worried about them refusing dinner.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    jenndub said:
    Does anyone actually like peas? I hate them. I also really hate raisins, which is very upsetting to some people.
    I don't dislike them, I just view them as kind of a useless vegetable. Unless we're talking fresh sugar snap peas. Those are awesome. As for raisins, they're OK in things such as oatmeal raisin cookies, but I have no desire to eat them on their own.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"