December 2014 Moms

Newbie/FTM questions?

Re: Newbie/FTM questions?

• Serunatu said:
    How much did you rely on your SO/DH/some sort of help during the first days/weeks home? Anything I can do before hand to prepare for recovery as a single MTB?
    Do you have family or friends that could help?  You aren't going to want to cook, so having easy, pre-made meals will be necessary.  You probably won't want to leave the house for at least 1-2 weeks, so you'll need food, essentials etc stocked up.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • BdblZ said:
    I'll play - how bad was the post-birth bleeding really - I've heard such horror stories I'm getting ready to just wear a diaper for the first 4 weeks
    I hardly bled at all.  Please don't hate me.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Loading the player...
  • @MissChristineMarie‌ I had a C-sec and tampons were still a no no. Nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks. (Although I know a lot of people break that rule to have sex but that's a whole other conversation)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • agsgrrl said:

I also want to know how much you guys needed to rely on the SOs cuz mine seems to think just taking a day off is going to cut it..

Mine went back to work right after we returned home. We were stockpiled on food and such, and he cleaned and held the baby once he got home so I could shower and nap. It's manageable if you have a good system, but don't get upset if it takes a few weeks to figure out. It's hard work on both of you.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• As any STM will attest, the new baby smell is HEAVEN!!  Omg, I cannot wait to just inhale this little girl!!  Even DH was smelling her all the time and smiling.

It does start to fade after about 2 wks though or did for us but damn, I wish we could bottle that smell :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Eora3 said:

What's the first PP poop like? Is it as scary as people make it out to be? Bloody? Painful? 

I had c-sections so my experience may be different from a vaginal birth, but the first poop after my first baby was scary!! None of my muscles felt like they were working and I felt like my incision was going to pop open. All the pain meds had seriously constipated me and it took some serious effort to move things along (even after taking the stool softeners!).
    I had this exact situation. Maybe it's a c-sec thing? My legs actually went numb from sitting/pushing and I wasn't on the toilet very long so I don't know what the hell that was all about. Take the stool softener!

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
  • abcmom12 said:

As any STM will attest, the new baby smell is HEAVEN!!  Omg, I cannot wait to just inhale this little girl!!  Even DH was smelling her all the time and smiling.

It does start to fade after about 2 wks though or did for us but damn, I wish we could bottle that smell :)

On this note! Don't forget to get baby wipes for neck creases! Breast milk oozes into those tiny neck rolls and baby smells like spoiled milk!

• With my first I had pretty bad tearing up and down since he decided to come out like super man with one arm up. Recovery was definitely harder than labor for me. I felt like I needed as much help as I could SO I didn't have to get up, down, walk so much because of the tearing for about a week.

With my second recovery wasn't so bad. I didn't tear and was up and ready to go shortly after labor. I will say when contractions while nursing (when the ute goes back down after labor) were much more intense and felt like labor all over again for a couple days after. I was home 24hrs after he was born and I really didn't feel like I needed help at all, but it was nice to have H there to entertain my first.

I am a freak when it comes to bleeding and ended up bleeding heavily like 2-3wks and then continued to spot until almost 12wks after .
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • agsgrrl said:
    I also want to know how much you guys needed to rely on the SOs cuz mine seems to think just taking a day off is going to cut it..
    Nah uh!  No.  At least I relied on my H a lot.  A lot a lot.  I was bfing and pumping round the clock so I really needed help with other things and to be allowed to sleep while baby was eating.  
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• abcmom12 said:

As any STM will attest, the new baby smell is HEAVEN!!  Omg, I cannot wait to just inhale this little girl!!  Even DH was smelling her all the time and smiling.

Agree!  Even though I wasn't one of those moms who felt instant love for her baby.  I mean, I loved him, but I didn't LOVE him until he was a few months old.  Holding and smelling the squish was still wonderful.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• @leosmom25‌ ::sobbing::

It's true. The minute that baby is out the world stops and it's just the two of you. All the pain is immediately gone (or you don't care).

As far as labor, yes you are the center of attention. FIL was in the room for a painful contraction (pre epidural) and when I came out of it he was crying right along with me. It was very sweet.

• kdm06c said:
    With my first I had pretty bad tearing up and down since he decided to come out like super man with one arm up. Recovery was definitely harder than labor for me. I felt like I needed as much help as I could SO I didn't have to get up, down, walk so much because of the tearing for about a week. With my second recovery wasn't so bad. I didn't tear and was up and ready to go shortly after labor. I will say when contractions while nursing (when the ute goes back down after labor) were much more intense and felt like labor all over again for a couple days after. I was home 24hrs after he was born and I really didn't feel like I needed help at all, but it was nice to have H there to entertain my first. I am a freak when it comes to bleeding and ended up bleeding heavily like 2-3wks and then continued to spot until almost 12wks after .

Eeep, KDM.  That stinks.  I always wonder if this time will be different.  Guess we'll see.

Lilypie - (vGZN)

• leosmom25 said:
    Yeah, tell us the best part of labor, delivery, and recovery! I just cannot wait to see his little face, give him kisses, and smell that "new baby" smell. 

As for delivery, I will be having an orgasmic birth. A gal can dream, right?! Then I will Depends it up with my new bébé... and be in la la land because of lack of sleep and having my little squish in my arms! :D 

This is my plan. Everything will happen the way I want it to because I say it will. ;)
    Ok the best part of labor and delivery? The attention. Everyone who loves you and is excited to meet the LO will do absolutely anything for you. DH was constantly asking if I was ok, if he could get me anything, etc. His family was on standby to provide whatever it was I would need. Did it hurt? Sure. But the epidural was fantastic and the entire L&D staff were so sweet and attentive. It really emphasizes the importance of what you're about to do. The delivery itself is surreal. I don't remember all of the details with DS' birth because I lost a lot of blood so I was very out of it, but what I do remember is looking at him for the first time. I made that. He was inside me and now he is outside. I brought a human into this world and he is here for me to hold and love and raise. It is terrifying and so damn beautiful all at the same time. It was almost as if the world stopped for a minute; sure the room was filled with nurses and doctors and such but at that one moment it was just Leo and I after spending 9 months together just the two of us I finally got to see that face. You will never, ever forget that.
    AWWWWW!  
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Newb snuggles are the absolute best. I asked my H the other day what he was most excited about and he said the awesome naps. Seriously when snuggling with a warm squishy newb was when H and I nap the best.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • AllTheTeaInChina said:
    Serunatu said:
    How much did you rely on your SO/DH/some sort of help during the first days/weeks home? Anything I can do before hand to prepare for recovery as a single MTB?
    Do you have family or friends that could help?  You aren't going to want to cook, so having easy, pre-made meals will be necessary.  You probably won't want to leave the house for at least 1-2 weeks, so you'll need food, essentials etc stocked up.
    I do have friends and family that can/want to help.. but I also don't want to have to host said family/friends for long periods of time while I'm wearing my big diaper (that I just decided to invest in)! 
  • agsgrrl said:

I think this depends on what kind of personality you have. I'm the kind of person that likes to.do things on my own so I didn't need him. My mom stayed for 2 weeks and she cooked but she also was annoying me and in my way. It was very stressful but having people watch me under stress makes me lash out. It's my personality. Other than for food I didn't need him. He went to work day 2 but again my mom was home with me to help me with my binder and stuff. NBs sleep a lot so if you force yourself rest when they sleep it shouldn't be so bad.

This time I NEED more help because I have a 2 yo. I plan on having my mom entertain/run around with her so I can focus on the new one.

• leosmom25 said:

abcmom12 said:

Agree!  Even though I wasn't one of those moms who felt instant love for her baby.  I mean, I loved him, but I didn't LOVE him until he was a few months old.  Holding and smelling the squish was still wonderful.

THIS! I felt like the worst mom inthe world because I did not instantly connect with my son. I loved him, I was happy he was here, and it was amazing to finally lay eyes upon him but I did not connect with him for months. Now it's like my heart grows bigger every day with that damn kid.

It seems to take me about a month to really whole heartedly connect with my LO's. I don't know if it is the c-section trauma or the lack of sleep or what. With both of my boys I remember just feeling a sense of relief that the surgery was over and we were both ok. Sure I loved them and felt protective but it wasn't until about a month or so that I was ready to just eat them up. I felt tremendous guilt and shame about it with my older son.
  • leosmom25 said:
    abcmom12 said:

THIS! I felt like the worst mom inthe world because I did not instantly connect with my son. I loved him, I was happy he was here, and it was amazing to finally lay eyes upon him but I did not connect with him for months. Now it's like my heart grows bigger every day with that damn kid.
    I seriously feel like this must be so much more common than we hear.  Don't you!?  I expected to be head over heels immediately and thought I was such an awful person because I wasn't.  I mean now he's my sun and moon and stars but not right away.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Well, here we are putting it out there @leosmom25.  Hopefully it will help another ftm on here.  
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• To add the pp bleeding thing - I EBF'd DD and got my period back at about 6 weeks or so. I went in for my post-partum check up and I was like "I started bleeding again" and OB was like "yeah, that's your period." It showed up every month on schedule even though I BF'd for a year, I am hoping to go slightly longer without it this time! Fingers crossed!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I also didn't feel connected for at least a month. I was surviving! I was so out of my element and PP hormones were insane for me and I felt so bad that she felt like a gigantic burden because I could not figure out how to make her happy. Turned out she had lactose intolerance and reflux and once I got a handle in the reflux she felt better. But it takes a lot of tinkering. MH was a little beside himself that I didn't have the warm fuzzies. I hope my experience will be different this second time. At the very least I know nothing is "perfect" this time.

• Serunatu said:
    AllTheTeaInChina said:
    Serunatu said:
    I do have friends and family that can/want to help.. but I also don't want to have to host said family/friends for long periods of time while I'm wearing my big diaper (that I just decided to invest in)! 
    Even if they could bring you food and stay for an hour.  It will give you a break to shower, take a moment to yourself.  If they really want to help, they can do the dishes, take out the garbage etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014

• Eora3 said:

What's the first PP poop like? Is it as scary as people make it out to be? Bloody? Painful? 

I had c-sections so my experience may be different from a vaginal birth, but the first poop after my first baby was scary!! None of my muscles felt like they were working and I felt like my incision was going to pop open. All the pain meds had seriously constipated me and it took some serious effort to move things along (even after taking the stool softeners!).

I had a vaginal and had to hold on to the grab bars to poop because it was so painful. Every nurse who checked on me was all "Oh my, you're really swollen."

Also, don't look at your crotch any time after delivery. Just don't.

Ice diapers = heaven to your lady bits. I cried when they stopped bringing them.

• For people who weren't induced last time... How long after your water broke/ you went into labor did you go to the hospital?
  • edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nesenotesnesenotes member
    edited September 2014
    SLC1102 said:

So here's my question- did most of you have deliveries similar to your mothers?  I'm like a little clone of my mother (in every way).  She had 2 easy pregnancies- so far I'm having a very easy pregnancy.  She, however, was in labor for 36 hours before she ended up having a c-section (was also 2 weeks late), so this kind of terrifies me.  Part of me is like "let's skip the whole 36 hours of labor and go right to the c-section" but I know that's not really possible.

I did. Not the same pregnancy at all but I failed to progress and needed a c-sec. Same with her. Also both of our labors started the same way (water broke) and we were both almost 2 weeks early.

• nesenotesnesenotes member
    edited September 2014

For people who weren't induced last time... How long after your water broke/ you went into labor did you go to the hospital?

I finally got to the hospital about 3 hours after my water broke. Because I had to wait an hour for MH to come pick me up, then we had to drive home so he could shower and get our bag and run around in freak out mode and make sure he had everything, then drive 45 minutes to the hospital. But even though my water broke I wasn't having painful contractions.

• SLC1102 said:

So here's my question- did most of you have deliveries similar to your mothers?  I'm like a little clone of my mother (in every way).  She had 2 easy pregnancies- so far I'm having a very easy pregnancy.  She, however, was in labor for 36 hours before she ended up having a c-section (was also 2 weeks late), so this kind of terrifies me.  Part of me is like "let's skip the whole 36 hours of labor and go right to the c-section" but I know that's not really possible.

Not at all, sadly. My mom had two beautiful reasonably fast natural labors. I, onthe other hand, labored for 34 hours and barely had a vag delivery by the skin of my teeth. I wouldn't worry that you're going to follow your mom's footsteps.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• ManateearmzManateearmz member
    edited September 2014
    @SLC1102‌ sadly my mom is a twatwaffle so I'm unable to share with her. From what I do know about her pregnancies and deliveries we're not at all alike.

ETA by the time she was my age she had two pre-teens and had a hysterectomy 10 years earlier.

• katehgee said:
    What's worse: the delivery or the recovery? I'm hoping for a vaginal delivery with an epidural.
    Both with all four were pretty easy and uneventful. The areas I tore were a little sore for the first few days, but the recovery as a whole was pretty easy.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• @SLC1102‌ My mother had very easy deliveries but my sisters and I all have had to have c-sections. It doesn't seem to matter how big the babies are, we just can't quite get all the way to 10cm to do a vaginal birth. Our mother nearly delivered us all on the way to the hospital because her labors were so fast.
  • I'm very happy for this thread...despite the fact that it sounds like a scary Halloween movie. I am more afraid off recovery than labor and as a FTM, I admit I knew nothing of the PP horrors but am glad to not go into this blind!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"