January 2015 Moms

Circumcision turned Amputation

13»

Re: Circumcision turned Amputation

  • @YaMrWhite‌ lmao I thought the same thing when I was posting. My husband could have sex all day every day if I let him. But thank God he's "less sensitive with a dry dead penis" as someone so eloquently put it earlier in this thread. HAHA.

    /ded
    image
    image


  • Loading the player...
  • I'm confused, maybe I'm misunderstanding you @ladyamanuet‌ So if circumcision is an old way of marking slaves or captives, is that supposed to be a more pleasant history than that of religious circumcision? That would honestly make me want to get my son circumcised less, knowing that it was a way of marking slaves or captives (just seems like an old form of degradation then)
  • LOL at humane ways of marking slaves. How do I know this is my slave? Let me check his penis. (God I'm so humane.)
  • Rationales offered in cultures that practice female genital cutting, (such as hygiene, disease prevention, improved appearance of the genitalia, and social acceptance) are similar to those offered in cultures that promote male circumcision.

    The forced removal of healthy genital tissue from ANY child is unethical. No matter what your rationale.

    Boys have the same right as girls to an intact body, and to be spared this inhumane and unnecessary surgery.
  • I dislike the argument that it will prevent a grown man from having to circumcise when he is older if needed and additionally the argument that babies forget the pain therefore it is better to make the decision for them at birth. Many older children and adults require their tonsils removed.... And it is said this is more painful the older we get. We don't remove tonsils at birth though to avoid this "trauma" as adults. Or appendix- an obsolete organ that could possibly rupture causing death. An argument more solid than some foreskin. It's done if necessary and people get over the trauma of these painful surgeries as well. We all are giving birth and get over the pain so I think a guy can cut his dick tip off if he really wants it that badly.

    I think my husband would want to snip our kid if we have a boy but I don't find it necessary. There are plenty of arguments for and against but personally I disagree with making decisions for my child like that which are easily made as adults. This is also why I don't put earrings on babies. A decision that can be made by them in the future. You can't reattach the foreskin later on but if they really want to, they can always cut it off.
  • I agree about the earrings. You may think it's cute but it's unnecessary and not your call to make. My daughter was begging to last year when she was 5. I really didn't want to say yes, because I felt she did not understand the implications, keep them clean, etc. She just wanted to be like her older sister. I ended up caving and taking her to do it for her birthday. She ended up with a nasty infection and decided to take the earrings out (pro-circing rational might use this infection as a reason to amputate the earlobes!) and let the holes grow over. She now says she never wants to pierce her ears ever again, but whatever she decides for herself when she is older is her call.
  • Latham12Latham12 member
    edited July 2014
    To go off of what ladyamanuet said, bc my quote isn't working, in Africa when I was there, they take girls who are entering puberty and hold them down, take a jagged rock and saw off their clitoris, it isn't sanitary, there are no numbing agents used. Most of the time these girls get horrible infections and can even die, all so they can't have sexual pleasure. It isn't like being circumcised at all. The reason we are choosing to have our son, if we have a boy, circumcised is simply bc we don't want him to chose at 15 to have a circumcision and to have to undergo the pain and anxiety about it. As parents, we make crucial decisions on a regular basis regarding our kids and their lives. As a mom, I feel like circumcision is the best choice for our "son". We also chose to eat mostly organic, not give medication whenever our DD has a pain or fever, we use natural solutions to treat and comfort when needed and do of course use medicine when needed. These are all personal decisions we have made to help better the life of our children.

    Edit: we were on the line about whether we would or not until a friend had a baby and she told me her husband was so against having an uncircumcised penis, as he himself was uncircumcised, that they circumcised their son. She told me her husband has always hated being uncircumcised but that he was too scared about getting it circumcised as an adult.
  • Latham12 said:
    To go off of what ladyamanuet said, bc my quote isn't working, in Africa when I was there, they take girls who are entering puberty and hold them down, take a jagged rock and saw off their clitoris, it isn't sanitary, there are no numbing agents used. Most of the time these girls get horrible infections and can even die, all so they can't have sexual pleasure. It isn't like being circumcised at all. The reason we are choosing to have our son, if we have a boy, circumcised is simply bc we don't want him to chose at 15 to have a circumcision and to have to undergo the pain and anxiety about it. As parents, we make crucial decisions on a regular basis regarding our kids and their lives. As a mom, I feel like circumcision is the best choice for our "son". We also chose to eat mostly organic, not give medication whenever our DD has a pain or fever, we use natural solutions to treat and comfort when needed and do of course use medicine when needed. These are all personal decisions we have made to help better the life of our children. Edit: we were on the line about whether we would or not until a friend had a baby and she told me her husband was so against having an uncircumcised penis, as he himself was uncircumcised, that they circumcised their son. She told me her husband has always hated being uncircumcised but that he was too scared about getting it circumcised as an adult.
    This is not true of all FGM. In Egypt for example, many cases are performed by physicians, about 60 percent using local anesthesia. Even if they performed all FGM in a sterile, medical, 'safe' environment, that would NOT make it ethical to remove healthy tissue from ANY child's genitals. 
  • Unfortunately in places like America, many boys who were left intact were subject to teasing and ridicule from peers whose parents cut them. Heck, even here where it was closer to 50/50 (more recently with circumcisions being the minority) I remember jerk boys making rude comments about uncut peers. When their parents placed such high value on how the penis looks, sadly, it's no surprise that this happens. Circumcision is actually becoming less common in america too, so hopefully the teasing will cease as it becomes more normal to have intact genitals. 
  • Jumping on the earring train!  Hooray!

    I also will not pierce ears until DD is old enough to ask about it.  I'm so glad my parents never pierced mine and I still don't have them pierced (nor do I want them pierced).

    Actually, the circ'd vs uncirc'd debate is why DH wants to find out now, after last pregnancy and most of this one (so far) expressing a wish to be team green.  He wants to know how much more he actually has to read about it.  hahaha.  I asked him about it maybe a week ago and he was like "What? We decide if that happens? It's not just standard?"  Clueless.  Since then, he's like "can I stop reading yet?"  And I've told him for now, but he has to read more if 2.0 is a boy.  hahahaha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image 
  • "Hygiene, disease prevention, and improved appearance are NOT used as actual rationale for FGM.  The men in control of it may claim this, but all anthropological study has shown it is said simply to mask the fact that they are trying to control their women.  Women may choose to do it, but that is only because they will shunned and likely would have to fear for their lives for being "promiscuous" if they did not. "

    AGREED! they are bullshit reasons for Female AND Male circumcision! End of story.
  • Stargirlb said:
    Unfortunately in places like America, many boys who were left intact were subject to teasing and ridicule from peers whose parents cut them. Heck, even here where it was closer to 50/50 (more recently with circumcisions being the minority) I remember jerk boys making rude comments about uncut peers. When their parents placed such high value on how the penis looks, sadly, it's no surprise that this happens. Circumcision is actually becoming less common in america too, so hopefully the teasing will cease as it becomes more normal to have intact genitals. 
    My sad confession is that this is the only thing that gives me pause on my decision to not circ should this LO be a boy. I live in a part of the country where not circumcising is pretty well unheard of. 

    I'm not worried about health issues as most of the men in my family are uncirc'd from the current age of 60 on down to the children, and to my knowledge, no one has had any issues. I will probably talk to my mom about it should we find out that this LO is a boy as she has more first hand (well, I guess 2nd hand since she doesn't personally have a penis ;) ) knowledge of it than I do.

    My husband's family followed the cultural norm for where they live, but thankfully my husband is open minded.

    image
    Our sweet girl is 3!


    Lilypie - (R7Ux)



  • Stargirlb said:
    Unfortunately in places like America, many boys who were left intact were subject to teasing and ridicule from peers whose parents cut them. Heck, even here where it was closer to 50/50 (more recently with circumcisions being the minority) I remember jerk boys making rude comments about uncut peers. When their parents placed such high value on how the penis looks, sadly, it's no surprise that this happens. Circumcision is actually becoming less common in america too, so hopefully the teasing will cease as it becomes more normal to have intact genitals. 
    My sad confession is that this is the only thing that gives me pause on my decision to not circ should this LO be a boy. I live in a part of the country where not circumcising is pretty well unheard of. 

    I'm not worried about health issues as most of the men in my family are uncirc'd from the current age of 60 on down to the children, and to my knowledge, no one has had any issues. I will probably talk to my mom about it should we find out that this LO is a boy as she has more first hand (well, I guess 2nd hand since she doesn't personally have a penis ;) ) knowledge of it than I do.

    My husband's family followed the cultural norm for where they live, but thankfully my husband is open minded.

    Read the reddit story I posted a a page or so back and teach your child to be thankful for his natural functioning penis, regardless of what other children have had done to them. Teasing sucks, but doing something unethical to your child to prevent it does not make that unethical thing right. Two wrongs, etc. It's also a good lesson in empathy to how minorities feel that truly can not help the fact that they are a minority. Compromising something natural and great about your child to try to make your kid "fit in", just so they don't have to be a minority, sends the wrong message. You child will still be privileged in so many other ways. 
  • @stargirlb I'm still almost sure we wouldn't circ (DH and I haven't had an in-depth conversation about it yet, so I need to give him the time to process and come to the same conclusion, which I feel confident he will).  

    I hope I would be able to raise someone self-assured enough that he could move past this kind of teasing. Plus, kids get bullied for so many things that it really isn't a huge concern in the grand scheme of what is important.

    I don't feel as strongly as you do on the issue, obviously, but I respect your opinions along with everyone else's.


    image
    Our sweet girl is 3!


    Lilypie - (R7Ux)


  • @stargirlb I'm still almost sure we wouldn't circ (DH and I haven't had an in-depth conversation about it yet, so I need to give him the time to process and come to the same conclusion, which I feel confident he will).  

    I hope I would be able to raise someone self-assured enough that he could move past this kind of teasing. Plus, kids get bullied for so many things that it really isn't a huge concern in the grand scheme of what is important.

    I don't feel as strongly as you do on the issue, obviously, but I respect your opinions along with everyone else's.


    Thanks! Club Canada. Poutine for all! seriously, need to go get some like now. 
  • Mmmm poutine with a little smegma dick cheese maybe??
  • jennyhatt said:
    Mmmm poutine with a little smegma dick cheese maybe??
    whyyyyyyy jenny, whyyyyyy
  • Gravy makes everything great. Perhaps you can pour some on your placenta!!
  • jennyhatt said:
    Gravy makes everything great. Perhaps you can pour some on your placenta!!
    I'll have a placenta milkshake with a side of foreskin please. 


    ****************************************************
    TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151
    *********************************************************

    image


  • jennyhatt said:
    Gravy makes everything great. Perhaps you can pour some on your placenta!!
    I def should be more creative this time. Gonna share some with my labor buddy, NatureLovers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"