January 2015 Moms
Options

Circumcision turned Amputation

Re: Circumcision turned Amputation

• Options
    CanukMam said:

This is a forum full of hormonal ladies, I would probably get flamed if I said I hated chocolate at this point ( which I do BTW)

[-(

"As long as I live you will live. As long as I live you will be loved."

BFP#1 3/31/12 EDD 12/1/12,No HB 6/6/12 (14 weeks 4 days), D&C 6/11/12 (15 weeks 2 days)*Arabella Ann*

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#2 5/21/14 EDD 1/27/15 *GROW BABY GROW*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    With DS1, I left the decision up to DH, who wanted our son's penis "how his was," so I trusted his judgement. I'm now very regretful over it because I should have researched it and educated myself on the topic. If this baby turns out to be a boy, we will not be circumcising him for many of the reasons already mentioned.
  • Options
    Yes. 

Cutting off part of your child's penis because one day, during the last 3 years of his longgggggggg healthy life, it might be hard to *clean* is mind numbingly stupid.

• Options
    CanukMamCanukMam member
    edited July 2014
    I'm not the one telling someone to STFU. I have no problem with a healthy debate! Not invalidating opinions either, your opinions are valid. We all are a little hormonal though and may react stronger, that is undeniable.

Also not white knighting, just disagreeing with @calindi . I also disagree with @stargirlb on other stuff.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    StargirlbStargirlb member
    edited July 2014
    Guys. I have obviously been flamed. Look at me, engulfed in flames and I'm only trying to sit here casually breastfeeding my child under a tree :P
  • Options
    CanukMamCanukMam member
    edited July 2014
    Men, its a reality. These boards are much more dramatic during pregnancy. It in no way invalidates opinions ..just intensifies them

Also, kind of a joke..but I guess I'm not on here enough for you ladies to get my humor yet
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    (Not sarcastic I actually love it)
  • Options
    And I seriously roll my eyes when someone thinks it's 'their business' what they do with their child's genitals while I mind my own business and not point out that their reasoning is mind numbingly atrocious. 

I've got da facts if anyone wants to go all "it prevents diseeeeease I had to do it" on this thread any more.  

Anyone who admits they just wanted their kid's penis to be chopped up 'just like daddy's was' gets verbal diarrhea.    0:)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Anyone eat the foreskin after? All those severed nerve endings are nutritious I hear. Foreskin smoothies, natural mamas? 
  • Options
    If we had a boy, I would absolutely not circumcise. It's an unnecessary surgical procedure done for cosmetic reasons, and who am I to permanently alter my child's body for no good reason, especially if any complications could be so dire to his penis? On the flipside, I'm torn about earrings for a girl. Culturally for me, it's done at a very young age (I was 3 days old), and I'm glad it was done when I don't remember it. I want to do it, but again the whole bodily autonomy thing...I don't know what I'll do. Circumcision and ear piercing are not equal.
  • Options
    I'm seriously dreading this conversation with DH but ultimately think my argument will prevail. He feels very strongly in favor, I am vehemently opposed. DS (from another marriage) is intact and at 12 has never had a problem. If we had religious stance involved I would feel differently but we do not, and his arguments about various issues don't really hold any water in my mind because I have a basis for comparison alresdy. I just tend to think that if DS wants to get it done when he's older--great. He's made that choice himself. But if I choose something for him that cannot be undone, and there are issues at any level, I would feel really bad.
  • Options
    Just throwing this idea out there, but what benefits are there to being uncircumcised besides skipping the snip at birth? I'm open to the idea of not circumcising, but the strongest arguments I've heard are not putting the kid through pain, and there are no "compelling" medical benefits. From what I understand, being birthed is pretty traumatic and painful (we may be squeezing a watermelon through a lemon, but imagine being the watermelon). Not that I would really want to subject my son to more pain, but obviously infants are capable of experiencing and forgetting extreme pain. If there is a slight chance (teeny tiny) my son would require a circumcision in his adult life, I'm sure he'd regret my decision to not get it done at birth. So, I guess my question really is, how many grown men resent being circumcised and what advantage do uncircumcised men have over those who get it done?
  • Options
    MKro2MKro2 member
    My husband is uncircumcised and he hates it and actually was the one to decide to get both of his sons circumcised.  If we have another son we will circumcise.  That's the choice we made though and don't feel either choice is right or wrong.  If you feel passionately about not circumcising, great that's your choice.  I'm completely ok with it.  I don't feel bad about the choice I made though.
  • Options
    I dated a guy that was uncircumcised and I think he would have liked to have been but wouldnt do the procedure as an adult unless something came up for the need. I know for me as a user I like it better being circumcised, but to each their own.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My husband and I were considering circumsision but decided against it because the lovely nurses at our hospital (also from BC Canada) advised against it. I'm happy with our decision as DS can chose to get circumcised one day if he wants to.
    Personally, looking back I don't think I could have gone through with it. I couldn't get my newborn perfect baby cut. Most people who follow alternative parenting styles (attachment or whatever) don't do so because they are young or foolish but because they have done A LOT OF RESEARCH! Usually more than the ones who just do whatever their in laws, culture, tv, etc tell them to.
    Also I don't vax... Just saying
  • Options
    *choose
  • Options
    sanbrysanbry member
    @ladyamanuet‌ took the words out of my mouth. Thank you for that!

We will circ if this baby is a boy. I went to high school with a guy who had a circ our senior year because of a health condition and said it was extremely painful. Pretty sure he will always remember that, whereas an infant will not. My husband has never expressed a desire to have a foreskin so I think our potential son will be ok.
  • Options
    I'm sure She brought up not vaxing because a few pages ago I said I that I can't take star seriously with her googling of research, when in fact she doesn't vax.

• Options
    Well with complete respect to some of the more mainstream parenting styles (no sarcasm here), personally I feel that when someone like *stargirl b voices her opinion about alternative parenting styles she's shot down and called young and immature. I don't think that's fair. I'm speaking for myself here but the reason I said all if that is because most of the time I agree with her. I appreciate that she has guts enough to explain herself and she obviously has done her research. So I don't think that's young or immature.

And honestly, I do respect those who choose to parent differently. We can't all be the same
  • Options

Well with complete respect to some of the more mainstream parenting styles (no sarcasm here), personally I feel that when someone like *stargirl b voices her opinion about alternative parenting styles she's shot down and called young and immature. I don't think that's fair. I'm speaking for myself here but the reason I said all if that is because most of the time I agree with her. I appreciate that she has guts enough to explain herself and she obviously has done her research. So I don't think that's young or immature.

And honestly, I do respect those who choose to parent differently. We can't all be the same

I'm glad you mention the bolded!

As far as being called young and immature, exactly one person said that. The others who have spoken up and taken the time to write well thought out responses have not mentioned her age or alleged immaturity. They "shot her down" for reasons related to the content of her comments.

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• Options
    When I refer to her as young and immature is more then just this thread. Fine, do your research but don't bash other parents on their choices they make. Have an opinion on things, but let it go, stop with the horse beating. Her constant negativity on America, their Heathcare, and the way we do things is a bit much, and frankly over the line. No one here is harping on your country. She's rude, and "LOLd" at a mama who got some good news back about testing. The fact she's on more then one occasion has called people's babies 'intersex' is just down right ugly and not needed.

It's immature!

• Options
    If you think there are compelling medical reasons to chop of part of a healthy natural penis, you are wrong, and ignorant.

Benefits of being left intact? Let me name a few.

The prepuce (foreskin) is a normal part of genital anatomy. In boys and men, the prepuce covers the glans (head) of the penis. In girls and women, the prepuce (preputial hood or clitoral hood) covers the clitoris.

The foreskin is not “just an extra flap of skin.” The foreskin is a double-layered, highly nerve-laden structure that is an integral part of the penis. On average, the amount of skin removed amounts to the size of a 3” x 5” index card for a grown man.

The foreskin helps protect the penis. In babies, the foreskin protects the glans from abrasions and keeps bacteria from entering the urinary tract. Throughout a man’s life, it protects the glans from cold and injury, and from drying out. Ever compared the head of a circumcised man's penis to that of an intact man? It's dead, dry, and desensitized in comparison.

The foreskin plays a vital role in sexual activity. In adult men, the it provides the ample skin needed for a full erection. The foreskin has thousands of nerve endings and enhances an intact man’s sexual pleasure. The gliding action produced by the foreskin and the glans working together gives pleasure to both the intact man and his partner.

Interesting anecdote here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1muiyy/serious_parents_of_reddit_who_chose_elective/

• Options
    edited July 2014
    BC chicks unite! @rachel+family‌
  • Options
    JEMondy said:
    Just throwing this idea out there, but what benefits are there to being uncircumcised besides skipping the snip at birth? I'm open to the idea of not circumcising, but the strongest arguments I've heard are not putting the kid through pain, and there are no "compelling" medical benefits. From what I understand, being birthed is pretty traumatic and painful (we may be squeezing a watermelon through a lemon, but imagine being the watermelon). Not that I would really want to subject my son to more pain, but obviously infants are capable of experiencing and forgetting extreme pain. If there is a slight chance (teeny tiny) my son would require a circumcision in his adult life, I'm sure he'd regret my decision to not get it done at birth. So, I guess my question really is, how many grown men resent being circumcised and what advantage do uncircumcised men have over those who get it done?
    I've read that there is more sensation for those uncut. With that being said I don't know how there can be a scientific comparison. An infant will never know his penis any other way. If you do the research on adults who get circumcised late in life it may have a different outcome then doing it as an infant... it's very hard to compare. I would call it a gray area. Also I've heard of many babies dealing with adhesions and other rarer complications as a result of the circumcision.
    It's also very difficult for a man to say there is something wrong with his penis. They don't know it any other way, so of course it's fine with them. I've known men who were unhappy about being cut and men who were unhappy being uncut.
    I would just rather not change something, it is as nature intended. If he wants to do it, he has the choice later in life. You can't undo a circumcision.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well with complete respect to some of the more mainstream parenting styles (no sarcasm here), personally I feel that when someone like *stargirl b voices her opinion about alternative parenting styles she's shot down and called young and immature. I don't think that's fair. I'm speaking for myself here but the reason I said all if that is because most of the time I agree with her. I appreciate that she has guts enough to explain herself and she obviously has done her research. So I don't think that's young or immature. And honestly, I do respect those who choose to parent differently. We can't all be the same
    You can be smart and immature. I know because that is my husband lol. This in no way sums up my feelings on the debate at hand. Just throwing that out there.
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    OMG she called my baby intersex too... Pretty sure I laughed and moved on.
  • Options
    And you can totally talk about male/female genital mutilation in the same breath. Cutting off the foreskin was not started to "prevent the spread of aids" or whatever else bullshit propaganda you buy into to make yourself feel better. It was because it was thought to be "unclean" and ungodly, and to prevent him from masturbating, which was also unclean and ungodly.

Guess what the reasons are for FGM? Women's genitals are unclean, ungodly, and to try to remove physical pleasure from sex.

But whatever, keep telling yourself than one is a valid and benign "parenting decision," and one is a horrific human rights violation.
  • Options
    Off topic but that 'birth trauma' comment reminds me of this study. Evidence that oxytocin release protects the baby's brain from trauma during birth.
    Pitocin and epidurals both reduce the body's production of oxytocin, so that might be one reason to reconsider using one strictly for comfort/convenience purposes. Very interesting.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10805-maternal-hormone-protects-babys-brain-during-birth.html#.U9KUCHi9LCQ
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"