January 2015 Moms
Options

UO Thursday - 7/24

Re: UO Thursday - 7/24

• Options
    karla1301 said:
    I completely agree that bedding sets are a complete waste of money. I knitted my son a blanket that he will have in his crib this winter and we stuck to solid bed sheets that match his room.
    I agree with this, the bedding sets are unnecessary (although cute!!).  Crib bumpers are said to be a no no anyway (due to suffocation issues).   As an FYI, for safety babies are not supposed to sleep with blankets for a while (due to it causing issues with breathing) just in case you were thinking of using it to cover baby up when he/she naps or sleeps at night.  To keep babies warm, those wearable blankets are quite a bit safer (sort of like a sack with arms).  We had blankets that we used when DD was awake and just sitting in her bouncy chair or asleep but with us (like in the living room or something) but definitely not any for when she slept in her crib.

ETA:  added a word
    I got a bedding set for my son and just because you're not supposed to use quilts or bumpers when they are infants, doesn't mean you have to ban them for the rest of the kid's life. I LOVE the matching fleece blanket of our set, and it's my son's favorite blankie now (besides the one I crocheted for him), and I put the bumpers on now that he can roll around and stand up because he has gotten his arms and legs stuck in the rungs a number of times and woke up crying. Also keeps him from bumping his head because he's a really active sleeper.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    karla1301karla1301 member
    edited July 2014
    UberBiz said:
    karla1301 said:
    I completely agree that bedding sets are a complete waste of money. I knitted my son a blanket that he will have in his crib this winter and we stuck to solid bed sheets that match his room.
    I agree with this, the bedding sets are unnecessary (although cute!!).  Crib bumpers are said to be a no no anyway (due to suffocation issues).   As an FYI, for safety babies are not supposed to sleep with blankets for a while (due to it causing issues with breathing) just in case you were thinking of using it to cover baby up when he/she naps or sleeps at night.  To keep babies warm, those wearable blankets are quite a bit safer (sort of like a sack with arms).  We had blankets that we used when DD was awake and just sitting in her bouncy chair or asleep but with us (like in the living room or something) but definitely not any for when she slept in her crib.

I got a bedding set for my son and just because you're not supposed to use quilts or bumpers when they are infants, doesn't mean you have to ban them for the rest of the kid's life. I LOVE the matching fleece blanket of our set, and it's my son's favorite blankie now (besides the one I crocheted for him), and I put the bumpers on now that he can roll around and stand up because he has gotten his arms and legs stuck in the rungs a number of times and woke up crying. Also keeps him from bumping his head because he's a really active sleeper.
    Woah, hold your horses, I didn't say for the rest of his/her life.  I said for awhile.  My DD is 2 now and she has a blanket and a pillow.  I just prefer to be safe at the beginning.

We probably gave her a blanket a little after she turned one.  A pillow just recently.

ETA to add a few things

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    BookitBoo said:
    The only thing about the princess thing that I forgot to mention: On Pinterest I saw an idea to give a crown ring to a girl for her sixteenth birthday. It's included with a verse and reminds the daughter that she Is a princess in God's kingdom. I really like that idea. the ring is really simple, something like this:
    I actually had a ring similar to that! My mom's best friend (who was like an aunt while I grew up) gave it to me for my birthday... I think maybe my 18th? Wonder where it went.... haven't seen it in some years. 

There was no particular meaning behind it, but I thought it was pretty and the metal was cut in a way that made it sparkly.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options

I think I've mentioned this before on here. I don't understand being disappointed in the sex of the baby. However; for me at least, this is my last baby. I've got 3 boys already. I really really want a daughter. I can see being disappointed in finding out I'm having another boy, but not because it's a boy, but because I'll never have a daughter.
    I know I can keep going on having kids to try for a girl, but I find that silly too.

If I have another boy, that's fine, I'll love him just like I do with my other boys.

All of this exactly, except that I only have two boys. I would not be disappointed to have another son, but I would very much be disappointed to never have a daughter.
  • Options
    I have a lot today. 

I can't stand inconsistent people who think it's funny when a child says a curse word in the privacy of their own home (even encouraging it at times), but when the child says the same word at a time when it isn't prompted or is in public they get punished for it. 

Yes, I understand how a little two year old saying "fuck" out of the blue would make someone chuckle, but if you are against your child saying it at all then you shouldn't encourage them!  

I also can't stand people who constantly curse around their kids and suddenly become "shocked" when their kid starts cursing too. Obviously, if you don't have any troubles using those terms in day to day conversation (not saying that there is anything wrong with it) you shouldn't be surprised if darling little timmy or darling little susie start using them too. 
    Same goes for people who talk about a child right in front of them! Kids are not stupid. Just because you are higher up then they are or in the kitchen doesn't mean they can't hear you in the other room especially if there is no door or full wall to separate you! If they are old enough to understand you when you are in front of them, then they are old enough to understand you anywhere. There is no magic level that your voice reaches that is inaudible to them. My sister-in-law does this and it drives me nuts. Telling our mother-in-law that your daughter is annoying the hell out of you while you're in the kitchen is the same as saying it to your daughters face. If I can hear you in the other room so can she! 

I also have trouble with people who skim through threads or posts, jump to a conclusion, and leave a snarky comment. If you aren't going to take the time to read someones post or comment word for word then you bring nothing of value to the conversation and shouldn't respond. (haven't seen it much here, but it's ridiculous how many people do that on other boards, and how many people piggy back off of them) 

• Options
    karla1301 said:
    UberBiz said:
    karla1301 said:

Woah, hold your horses, I didn't say for the rest of his/her life.  I said for awhile.  My DD is 2 now and she has a blanket and a pillow.  I just prefer to be safe at the beginning.

We probably gave her a blanket a little after she turned one.  A pillow just recently.

ETA to add a few things
    I'm not saying you did specifically. But I've seen the whole "bedding sets are unnecessary cuz you can't use X, Y, or Z" but that doesn't disqualify them from being ultimately useful if you do happen to get one. yeah a lot of them are pricey, but one shouldn't count them out just because you can't use some of the items right off the bat. That's all I'm saying.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @BookitBoo‌ I wasn't necessarily referring to you with loving kids less and the like, but it is said a whole whole lot around TB. I haven't seen it here yet. But I've seen it elsewhere. And I consider this to be one of those "I don't get it because it doesn't apply to me" type of deals. Like I don't like ketchup, and can't possibly understand why anyone would want to eat that nasty crap, but people do.

Also its totally acceptable to genuinely not care which sex you have. This time around I genuinely don't care. And I think just saying "you know, its funny, I really don't have a preference. Just want a healthy baby!"
  • Options

@BookitBoo‌ I wasn't necessarily referring to you with loving kids less and the like, but it is said a whole whole lot around TB. I haven't seen it here yet. But I've seen it elsewhere. And I consider this to be one of those "I don't get it because it doesn't apply to me" type of deals. Like I don't like ketchup, and can't possibly understand why anyone would want to eat that nasty crap, but people do.

Also its totally acceptable to genuinely not care which sex you have. This time around I genuinely don't care. And I think just saying "you know, its funny, I really don't have a preference. Just want a healthy baby!"

Good, I'm glad :) I just wanted to make sure that nobody thought I was inferring that!
  • Options
    @BookitBoo‌ I definitely don't think you were implying it.
  • Options
    Netflix is great, and torrents for anything missing.
  • Options
    My UO is that I think it's silly to make your husband spend the night with you in the hospital after you've had the baby. Why should both of you have poor sleeps if at least one of you can rest? I've seen friends who made their husbands spend the night and then they're both miserable and sleep deprived. Wait until you're home to both be miserable and sleep deprived!

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• Options
    @Mamasaurus‌15 netflix and redbox for us ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • Options

I hate baby clothes that say "mommy/daddy's little squirt." Because it makes me think of semen.

Or diarrhea. Yuck

Thanks again for all the input guys -- it does help to put the disappointment into perspective. I appreciate it :)
  • Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    My UO: Cable tv is a giant waste of money. Why pay $100 or more for something that wastes hours of your time? Netflix is $8 and provides plenty of entertainment and you can supplement an extra $4 or $5 if you want to rent a movie. Every primetime network show is available for streaming on the computer for free.

We could afford it if we wanted it, but it's hard to justify spending money on something that takes away your ability to do something meaningful with your time.  
    Could I watch baseball, hockey, and football on Netflix? 
    No!!  And this is why I keep hesitating on cutting the cord.
    Then you bet your ass I am going to waste money on doing something "meaningless" like watch sports on tv!!!
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    YaMrWhite said:

britb618 said:

@MarxieVonTrapp‌ - is this your first? I needed my husband at the hospital with me because I couldn't stand up to get the baby after my c-section- and my friend who had natural birth tore so she needed her husbands help too...either way you are in recovery from a pretty big ordeal so it's not about 'I can't sleep so neither can you' it's that you aren't able to take care of the baby right away by yourself....

So much this. I didn't tear OR have a c-section but I still needed help moving around and taking care of the baby. But regardless of that, my husband wouldn't have wanted to leave his family right then. Hell to the no on that. He wanted to be with us at all times. I couldn't wait for him to go back to work so I could have a few moments of chill time :)

Nope, this is my second. I put my daughter in the nursery at night and the nurses were able to help me hold my her, and I was able to get up and go to the bathroom on my own shortly after my c-section. Having my husband around would have been pointless then--again, all he would be doing is getting less sleep. He was back early in the morning, well-rested, and much more helpful than after a sleepless night in an uncomfortable chair/bed.

• Options
    @MarxieVonTrapp‌ -well you were luckier than I- my hospital doesn't take the baby to the nursery overnight- I was legit crying for them to take her because I was so exhausted but they have a new policy that baby stays with mom at night- this time around I will ask to speak to a head nurse to push for them to take her if i need to because no sleep after a serious surgery was dangerous for both me and baby so my husband was invaluable. I also hate hospitals and just having him there made me feel more comfortable
  • Options
    I have another. I hate wearing my wedding ring. I love my ring, I actually picked it out. I think its beautiful. And also have a birthstone ring that is my sons birthstone that I don't wear much. I just wash my hands so often that I take it off so much. And I take it off at night because sleep with my hands on my face a lot. So its just a lit of taking it on and off. And I'm not much of a jewelry person in general. So the idea of wearing rings is just foreign to me.
  • Options
    emmyg65 said:
    We don't have a TV, so we go to the bar to watch games. But the only sports I really care about are March Madness (go, UConn!!) and the Olympics. I'm scoping out family-friendly restaurants with TVs now because this kidlet is only going to be a few weeks/months old next March and Mama needs her Huskies!!
    We've discussed this before but the amount of food and drinks we would buy (baseball games are played almost daily and football is weekly) would be way more than the cost of cable. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    My UO: Cable tv is a giant waste of money. Why pay $100 or more for something that wastes hours of your time? Netflix is $8 and provides plenty of entertainment and you can supplement an extra $4 or $5 if you want to rent a movie. Every primetime network show is available for streaming on the computer for free.

We could afford it if we wanted it, but it's hard to justify spending money on something that takes away your ability to do something meaningful with your time.  
    Could I watch baseball, hockey, and football on Netflix? 
    No!!  And this is why I keep hesitating on cutting the cord.
    Yeah.  I can't cut the cord for that reason, too.  Although my husband did get me a package as part of my Mother's Day present that allows me to watch games not aired on our local networks (Packers fan...  I always get stuck watching Redskins, Ravens, Steelers, then either Patriots or Eagles take priority over any teams I might want to follow-- sorry those team fans)-- the only down side is it's the next day.  So we'll see how it goes this season and maybe we'll keep trying it (I think it was like $30 for a full calendar year?  And you can watch any previous season's games that they have archived).  If it works out and I can stomach waiting a day, we might end up cutting cable...

And I'm also definitely in the camp of I'd order too many food and drinks to make going to a sports bar worth it. haha.  It's just so tempting when someone else is making the food to overeat...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

YaMrWhite said:

britb618 said:

@MarxieVonTrapp‌ - is this your first? I needed my husband at the hospital with me because I couldn't stand up to get the baby after my c-section- and my friend who had natural birth tore so she needed her husbands help too...either way you are in recovery from a pretty big ordeal so it's not about 'I can't sleep so neither can you' it's that you aren't able to take care of the baby right away by yourself....

So much this. I didn't tear OR have a c-section but I still needed help moving around and taking care of the baby. But regardless of that, my husband wouldn't have wanted to leave his family right then. Hell to the no on that. He wanted to be with us at all times. I couldn't wait for him to go back to work so I could have a few moments of chill time :)
    Nope, this is my second. I put my daughter in the nursery at night and the nurses were able to help me hold my her, and I was able to get up and go to the bathroom on my own shortly after my c-section. Having my husband around would have been pointless then--again, all he would be doing is getting less sleep. He was back early in the morning, well-rested, and much more helpful than after a sleepless night in an uncomfortable chair/bed.

Eh. A night of crappy sleep for him is nothing compared to recovering from pushing a watermelon out of my body. Having him there took a little pressure off me, so he could suck it up for the sake of our new family. Plus, I like having my partner there for support. It's not like that extra night of sleep is going to make a difference when there's years of exhaustion ahead.

Nope, the extra night doesn't make a difference, which is why I don't need him to "support" me by being miserable and uncomfortable. I guess I don't feel like he needs to suffer with me-I would rather him be at his best to be supportive during the day than be "supportive" with me not sleeping at night.

The point is moot this time anyway, since he will need to be home for our daughter.

• Options
    I was really happy that my husband staid with us in the hospital to support us.

Recovering from a csection, and then blood clots, and suffering with PPD I was terrified to be alone with the baby, or alone in general, and I needed his support.

Plus he was on the road a lot so he wanted to spend the time with us. He would have laughed in my face if I suggested that he went home to sleep.
  • Options
    I think for me it will depend on how much help I'll need. I know when I had surgery last year he spent one night with me and got crappy sleep. The next night I told him just to go home. So if I'm able to move around I'll probably let him go home to get some sleep.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LanatirLanatir member
    edited July 2014
    YaMrWhite said:
    BookitBoo said:
    I was really happy that my husband staid with us in the hospital to support us. Recovering from a csection, and then blood clots, and suffering with PPD I was terrified to be alone with the baby, or alone in general, and I needed his support. Plus he was on the road a lot so he wanted to spend the time with us. He would have laughed in my face if I suggested that he went home to sleep.
    Glad someone else said this! My husband would have had to be removed in handcuffs. He was not about to leave his wife and new baby unless we were coming with him!
    ^^Mine too.  He also was the paranoid parent and didn't want the medical staff to take our child anywhere without one of us accompanying her.  So I told him if it mattered to him that much, he could do it.  So he did.  haha.

Edit-- I forgot to add another reason my husband stayed.  His friend from high school who has 2 kids told my husband that changing the baby's diaper in the hospital is the man's job.  haha.  So I held my husband to that.  I didn't change my first diaper for my child until after we got home from the hospital.  Besides, I had baby sat and had a younger sibling.  DH's 2 younger siblings are 15m and 30m younger than him, so he'd never changed a diaper in his life.  Better start those kind of dads early.  
    ;)
  • Options
    My husband stayed in the hospital last time, and he will this time. I really enjoyed our time in the hospital. Meeting and getting to know our baby away from home and the distractions there was really nice.
  • Options
    @emmyg65‌ question wasn't directed by me. But I like March Madness. And truly I only watch basketball when Wichita state is playing. I was really sad they didn't make it farther this year, but ultimately it was still awesome cause if their win record for the season.
  • Options
    @JerseyHopeful‌ I love tv and especially watching reruns of Greys anatomy on netflix ❤️ And somehow it calms my daughter and she sits and watches with me (probably because I constantly watched it while she was in my womb lol) I'll do anything to keep my one year old from running around - especially now that I'm pregnant
  • Options

My UO: I really really hate the way people that aren't "tv people" seem to judge people who are. It always seems to me like "I don't spend money or time on tv and P.S. I am superior to you"

I don't have cable bc I can't afford it but I probably watch wayyyyyy more tv on Netflix than I ever did when I had cable haha :)

But I get what you're saying... My mil has remarked that I only watch tv all day long bc I'm a SAHM and I probably don't do anything else... Soo annoying!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • Options
    @WillCMyInk‌ you can of course hire a doula it's your birth. I personally think they are unneeded , if Dh couldn't be there I wouldn't hire a stranger to attend. I'd want my mother or even father if they couldn't come I might even ask a close friend but yes I think they are useless. I know a lot of people who have had them. I don't get it I just don't. My nurses were wonderful and that was great but I didn't need it. It's just me I know it's unpopular that's why I put it here.

LOUD NOISES!

K- born 7/5/2011

G- born 6/24/2013

• Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    emmyg65 said:
    We don't have a TV, so we go to the bar to watch games. But the only sports I really care about are March Madness (go, UConn!!) and the Olympics. I'm scoping out family-friendly restaurants with TVs now because this kidlet is only going to be a few weeks/months old next March and Mama needs her Huskies!!
    We've discussed this before but the amount of food and drinks we would buy (baseball games are played almost daily and football is weekly) would be way more than the cost of cable. 

Yep.  this is why we have NFL ticket.  We did the math and for my H to go to a bar to watch his team play each week (and then baseball too...and basketball) would be WAY more for the football season than it would probably be for cable all year.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    jennkg3 said:

@WillCMyInk‌ you can of course hire a doula it's your birth. I personally think they are unneeded , if Dh couldn't be there I wouldn't hire a stranger to attend. I'd want my mother or even father if they couldn't come I might even ask a close friend but yes I think they are useless. I know a lot of people who have had them. I don't get it I just don't. My nurses were wonderful and that was great but I didn't need it. It's just me I know it's unpopular that's why I put it here.

My nurse was amazing. But she was also training to be a doula, so maybe that's why. Well one of the three nurses I had anyway. the first one was awful but she was only there for 2 hours of my labor. Then the awesome one was there for the next 12. And the last one was a nurse we had met before when we went to the hospital for something else. She remembered us because we all hard a conversation about meth the time we were in the hospital. Plus mine and my husbands last names are probably names your only come across a handful of times in our city.
  • Options
    I just thought of one.  It might not be a UO to you, though, but in DH's family it certainly is.

Juice is gross.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"